Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 11:21:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Bristol Rovers game  (Read 11351 times)

IDM

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the Bristol Rovers game
« Reply #30 on January 09, 2020, 08:19:14 am by IDM »
No it’s the underlying thing in your post about DM being sold short by the club etc..

Of course we need new players and DM knows that..

It’s the rest of your bullshit which is unnecessary..

Apologies to the rest of the forum but this kind of viewpoint needs challenging, doesn’t it.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 08:55:58 am by IDM »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on January 09, 2020, 08:30:22 am by Campsall rover »
It isn’t going to be easy bringing the “right” players in this window.
Who and where are they? Been banging this drum for a long time now and people think i am talking rubbish.
Well i think it is showing already how difficult it is.

We will probably get a couple of 21 year old Premier League players on loan.
Maybe just maybe we will get one permanent signing but DM isn’t going to sign anyone just for the sake of making a signing.

So more patience is needed from our supporters. DM will make the right long term decisions for the club and not bad decisions just to appease some of our disgruntled supporters.

What do you mean who and where are they?
How would a football supporter know which players are available?
There’s plenty of deals being done everyday so I’m not sure it’s quite as difficult as you keep attempting to make out
So explain why we haven’t signed anyone.
There have been very few deals done so far.  If it’s so easy to get the RIGHT players we would have done it wouldn’t we?

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on January 09, 2020, 10:10:53 am by NewDonny »
If Clarke Harris is worth 4million then we’ve all got hope of playing professionally next season!

Agree with this, watched them play in the FA Cup against Bromley and remember thinking how poor he looked tbh.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on January 09, 2020, 10:39:02 am by selby »
  I agree with whoever valued CH at £4million has just plucked a valuation out of the air, but, he will not be the first player to be overpriced, and usually the bargains to be had are at the beginning of a transfer window, with clubs getting more desperate to sign a player the closer the end of the window gets.
  The Rovers have become a closed shop as far as information being filtered down to the supporters, after for years being an open secret as far as transfer targets were concerned, and as a consequence lost out to other local clubs on some targets because of it, so I have no problem with the secrecy, but like most on here do get frustrated and have a thirst for news.
   As for the Bristol game, I would be more than happy to see an unchanged team take the field Saturday, and would find it difficult to pick any new signing in the starting line up after the display on Tuesday.
  There are also a host of reasons why things hot up as the window progresses, agents desperate for a slice off us, which with our stance could be our biggest problem, managers wanting a replacement before releasing players, and players running down his contract, or wanting a pay off to leave.
  It is a murky world that football authorities need to sort out, but with so much money sloshing about will find it difficult.
  As for the Bristol game, I am hoping we go again with an unchanged side to start the game after the display on Tuesday. Even if we sign a player I would find it difficult to change the side if I was a manager. Of course we need at least a couple in if possible, and of the standard that can push for a starting place, but those in possession of the shirts at the moment are not going to give them up easily if they carry on showing some form.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 10:50:47 am by selby »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on January 09, 2020, 10:44:54 am by dickos1 »
It isn’t going to be easy bringing the “right” players in this window.
Who and where are they? Been banging this drum for a long time now and people think i am talking rubbish.
Well i think it is showing already how difficult it is.

We will probably get a couple of 21 year old Premier League players on loan.
Maybe just maybe we will get one permanent signing but DM isn’t going to sign anyone just for the sake of making a signing.

So more patience is needed from our supporters. DM will make the right long term decisions for the club and not bad decisions just to appease some of our disgruntled supporters.

What do you mean who and where are they?
How would a football supporter know which players are available?
There’s plenty of deals being done everyday so I’m not sure it’s quite as difficult as you keep attempting to make out
So explain why we haven’t signed anyone.
There have been very few deals done so far.  If it’s so easy to get the RIGHT players we would have done it wouldn’t we?

Only a few people can explain why we haven’t signed anyone.

Can you explain why the other sides can keep signing the RIGHT players but we don’t seem to be able to?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on January 09, 2020, 10:54:28 am by selby »
  Dickos, the approach of the other clubs to paying agent fees could be one reason. And I agree with our clubs stance.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on January 09, 2020, 12:24:51 pm by Campsall rover »
Dickos,
Selby answered for me. AGENTS. That’s the biggest problem imo and we are not going to be held to ransom by them. A policy i fully agree with.
Many of them are a blight in the game imo.

But can you tell me all other clubs are getting the RIGHT players
No of course they are not.

Just accept January will be difficult, not impossible but difficult.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 12:38:52 pm by Campsall rover »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on January 09, 2020, 12:50:16 pm by dickos1 »
I agree regarding agents but you’ve no idea about other clubs.

And of course clubs are signing the right players for them, otherwise why would they be signing them??
They’ve identified their targets and managed to get them over the line.

Oxford without question have made two very good signings

Reesielad

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on January 09, 2020, 12:51:26 pm by Reesielad »

And of course clubs are signing the right players for them, otherwise why would they be signing them??

They’re about to announce a third today apparently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on January 09, 2020, 12:52:34 pm by Campsall rover »

Well if your not happy go and ask GB for an explanation.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on January 09, 2020, 01:15:17 pm by dickos1 »
Never said I was unhappy I’m just picking you up on the fact you think it’s hard for everyone to sign players when a lot of other clubs in our league seem to be managing

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on January 09, 2020, 01:20:07 pm by Campsall rover »
Never said I was unhappy I’m just picking you up on the fact you think it’s hard for everyone to sign players when a lot of other clubs in our league seem to be managing
You don’t sound happy.
If you are happy why are you continually complaining about the lack of transfer activity?

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on January 09, 2020, 04:45:55 pm by ravenrover »
But Dickos is only voicing what many people are thinking

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on January 09, 2020, 05:08:18 pm by dickos1 »
You don’t sound happy.
If you are happy why are you continually complaining about the lack of transfer activity?

I don’t think anyone can be happy with that particular point.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on January 09, 2020, 07:19:39 pm by drfchound »
If we sign a player in the next few days can anyone say for sure that we have signed the right player?
Of course not is the answer but some supporters will say he must be the right player because DM signed him.
All transfers are a gamble to some extent.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on January 09, 2020, 07:21:16 pm by the vicar »
No it’s the underlying thing in your post about DM being sold short by the club etc..

Of course we need new players and DM knows that..

It’s the rest of your bullshit which is unnecessary..

Apologies to the rest of the forum but this kind of viewpoint needs challenging, doesn’t it.
DM is not being sold short as he will only bring in the players that he thinks will improve the team  sometimes it will succeed sometimes it will fail

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on January 09, 2020, 08:25:33 pm by Campsall rover »
If we sign a player in the next few days can anyone say for sure that we have signed the right player?
Of course not is the answer but some supporters will say he must be the right player because DM signed him.
Your right of course there are never any guarantees.

It’s about the right characters. All professional footballers have ability, some considerably more than others of course. DM will be doing his homework on their character before bringing any one in.
One bad apple and it can wreck the team spirit. Successful teams are built on team spirit.

I trust DM to get more right than wrong. That’s what is important, no panic buying from this man.

Even Alex Ferguson got some of his recruitment wrong.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on January 09, 2020, 09:03:26 pm by drfchound »
Your right of course there are never any guarantees.

It’s about the right characters. All professional footballers have ability, some considerably more than others of course. DM will be doing his homework on their character before bringing any one in.
One bad apple and it can wreck the team spirit. Successful teams are built on team spirit.

I trust DM to get more right than wrong. That’s what is important, no panic buying from this man.

Even Alex Ferguson got some of his recruitment wrong.

All managers get some of the recruiting wrong, of course.
As others have said though, after the recognised first eleven, our squad is very weak, proven by who was sat on it against Shrewsbury.
There is no way IMO  that our current squad can make a sustained go at promotion.
Given that Moore is allegedly a very stubborn man I just hope that he doesn’t fanny about for too long before making his mind up on who he actually wants.
Then of course I hope that we will be prepared to be competitive  with the salary package offered to that player.
If not, then it all starts again.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on January 09, 2020, 09:21:19 pm by Alan Southstand »
Hound, DM said in his recent interview that targets had been identified! It’s not his job to ‘get them over the line’.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on January 09, 2020, 09:30:06 pm by drfchound »
Hound, DM said in his recent interview that targets had been identified! It’s not his job to ‘get them over the line’.

Yes I know Alan.
I wait with bated breath.
I am concerned about the fact that we are told that the club won’t pay the agents going rates and want to have a pay structure where most players are earning the same amount of money.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 09:57:27 pm by drfchound »

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on January 09, 2020, 09:32:02 pm by les@donr »
If Clarke Harris is worth 4million then we’ve all got hope of playing professionally next season!

He is no way worth 4m, maybe 1m at the most, with the sale of Marquis we could afford him, like to see us put a bid in and see what happens.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on January 09, 2020, 09:54:10 pm by Alan Southstand »
I am concerned about the fact that we are told that the club won’t pay the against going rates and want to have a pay structure where most players are earning the same amount of money.

Maybe that’s the problem, then. Has nobody realised yet that it’s not working?

Still, at least they’re working night and day (which should get us 3 points on Saturday, eh?)

;)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on January 09, 2020, 09:58:50 pm by drfchound »
Just thinking about that before I make my PvO prediction.
I was actually waiting to see who we had signed but that doesn’t look to be likely to happen.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on January 09, 2020, 10:08:13 pm by selby »
  Hound that is different to my understanding, which is we will pay the player more than let's say normal, but that he pays his agent not our club if the agent wants an inflated fee.
  Alan transfer talk and players leaving didn't effect the team performance on Tuesday, well if it did they want to keep on talking as it did nothing but good. Hopefully it will get us three points on Saturday, and we can all worry all next week about getting a signing across the line, and then if we win again, discuss just when he will get a game, and if they are picked will it upset a winning team?
 Who would be a manager eh?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on January 09, 2020, 10:33:12 pm by silent majority »

Yes I know Alan.
I wait with bated breath.
I am concerned about the fact that we are told that the club won’t pay the agents going rates and want to have a pay structure where most players are earning the same amount of money.

But now your misstating a couple of points. Nobody has said we won't pay the going rate for agents. What he have said is that we have a limit on what we're prepared to pay, there is a major difference in that. That point is wrong.

And we have always had, for a number of years, a fairly even wage structure. We still pay damn good salaries though compared to other clubs, so that shouldn't be a deterrent either.

There's an issue here hound, that we don't want half truths to become 'fact' when it never is.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on January 10, 2020, 08:07:47 am by Alan Southstand »
Thanks for the clarity on that, Martin, so what is the problem then?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 08:43:56 am by Alan Southstand »

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on January 10, 2020, 08:24:39 am by IDM »
Could it be DM is aiming the bar too high.?  We might be offering deals which are perfectly good for league one but which players could get better elsewhere.?  Are we looking for players where their managers are cagey about letting them go due to needing them, like Idah (and Sterling).?

Just a thought, could be way off the mark.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on January 10, 2020, 10:15:51 am by silent majority »
Thanks for the clarity on that, Martin, so what is the problem then?

Firstly we would have had a striker in already if it wasn't for that little bit of bad luck last weekend. That was all agreed.

Now, DM is waiting on other parent clubs to make their moves so we can finalise other dealings. He could go elsewhere and sign others that would happen quicker, but he won't do that.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on January 10, 2020, 01:40:19 pm by dknward2 »
Is Idah still on then if Norwich get others in or he doesn’t perform vs Man Utd or have we moved on

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on January 10, 2020, 01:52:37 pm by silent majority »
Is Idah still on then if Norwich get others in or he doesn’t perform vs Man Utd or have we moved on

As far as I know they're 'monitoring' the situation. However there's a lot more interest in him now.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012