Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:50:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: “Getting them over the line”  (Read 39907 times)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
Re: “Getting them over the line”
« Reply #30 on January 09, 2020, 02:37:26 pm by Alan Southstand »
Surely, IDM, you’re not suggesting utilising our u23 lads to get us in the top 6?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on January 09, 2020, 02:38:08 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I really don't think it's worth anyone getting uptight about. I know fans are curious but DM seems to be after the same reinforcements that we've speculated about so there's nothing else we can do other than be patient.

I'm sure DM will be prepared to wait as long as he get's his primary target(s). Given we didn't succeed in the summer in acquiring that major part of the jigsaw, I'm sure that will make him more determined to succeed in this window.

And how do you come to that conclusion Alan that pressure in on GB?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on January 09, 2020, 02:39:48 pm by IDM »
Not them alone Alan, no I am not..

But my point was that at some point, the best of that group will be ready for the first team even if from the bench - like Watters recently..

Definitely not suggesting we rely on that crop of players instead of signings..

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on January 09, 2020, 02:41:11 pm by steve@dcfd »
“Were not spending Darren, not this time.
  You can try your bestttt
   But we can’t get them over the line.”

Get Signings Done

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on January 09, 2020, 02:42:01 pm by scawsby steve »
I really don't think it's worth anyone getting uptight about. I know fans are curious but DM seems to be after the same reinforcements that we've speculated about so there's nothing else we can do other than be patient.

I'm sure DM will be prepared to wait as long as he get's his primary target(s). Given we didn't succeed in the summer in acquiring that major part of the jigsaw, I'm sure that will make him more determined to succeed in this window.

Isn't it GB's job to get transfers over the line?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on January 09, 2020, 02:43:24 pm by silent majority »

It'll be him and David Blunt.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on January 09, 2020, 02:48:10 pm by Jonathan »
No matter what our respective wants and opinions are, the fact remains that we’re in a good position in the table and we do have a genuine opportunity to challenge for promotion this season. But that will not be possible without reinforcements. Not because the current first eleven aren’t good enough, but because you cannot possibly play the second half of the season on the assumption that we won’t suffer any injuries, suspensions or loss of form.

If we strengthen then we increase our chances of achieving something this season. If we don’t then we make it very difficult if not impossible.

There are 3 weeks left of the window so there’s no immediate panic. But, given that we had 4 months to prepare for this window, I think people can be forgiven for thinking we might have hit the ground running. Clearly that hasn’t been the case and we’re still working to secure targets.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on January 09, 2020, 02:58:49 pm by DearneValleyRover »

It'll be him and David Blunt.

Hasn't he been a bit of a road block in the past?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on January 09, 2020, 03:01:20 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I'm sure, and I would really hope it's a shared responsibility and any potential deal will be treated on merit. Sometimes a deciding factor can be the manager giving a player further assurance, showing he's keen to get him etc. I would guess there's plenty of dialogue both ways and deals on hold for various reasons.

I would be shocked if DM, just sits back and let GB and DB bring each negotiation to a conclusion without further consultation.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on January 09, 2020, 03:08:08 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
No matter what our respective wants and opinions are, the fact remains that we’re in a good position in the table and we do have a genuine opportunity to challenge for promotion this season. But that will not be possible without reinforcements. Not because the current first eleven aren’t good enough, but because you cannot possibly play the second half of the season on the assumption that we won’t suffer any injuries, suspensions or loss of form.

If we strengthen then we increase our chances of achieving something this season. If we don’t then we make it very difficult if not impossible.

There are 3 weeks left of the window so there’s no immediate panic. But, given that we had 4 months to prepare for this window, I think people can be forgiven for thinking we might have hit the ground running. Clearly that hasn’t been the case and we’re still working to secure targets.

Broadly agree Jonathan but are you seriously suggesting they haven:t done any groundwork prior to the window?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on January 09, 2020, 03:13:20 pm by steve@dcfd »
I believe plenty of ground work has been done and also our competitors for signatures but comes down now to the nitty gritty whether loan or permanent and we appear to take time in getting that done or not.

In the last interview after Tuesday game DM said targets had been identified now comes the hard work to get them over the line.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 03:20:09 pm by steve@dcfd »

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on January 09, 2020, 03:22:39 pm by Alan Southstand »
DBR, not ignoring you, but your earlier question to me was answered.

DM identifies and makes the initial contact, but the tricky part falls on GB’s shoulders and, as far as I know, it’s been like that for some time.

Like Jonathan says, we’ve all known what the situation was/is and this is why I would have thought we would have been pro-active in getting our targets in early, before anyone else gets in and scuppers our chances. The longer this window goes on with no news on incomings, the more I wonder whether we’re going to left with planZ!

Looks likeOxford are going to complete signing No. 3 today - the Bristol City lad we were rumoured to be interested in. Correction, it’s Marcus Browne, from Middlesbrough. :s
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 03:28:22 pm by Alan Southstand »

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on January 09, 2020, 03:24:49 pm by since-1969 »
Personally I would rather wait until the summer and sign the players DM wants, rather than sign someone now just to make up the numbers.
It’s quality not quantity we need in the summer.
We have plenty of young players knocking on the door in Jones, Amos, Blaney, Greaves, Gomes, Watters etc. Plus the option of another few loanees to replace existing ones assuming we don’t keep any of the existing ones.

We need to sign Deing if possible or another quality keeper if he is not made available by QPR.
Another 2/3 permanent signings in the summer required.

No drastic transfer activity is required.

Couple of loanees now will do nicely thankyou. 

I really don’t understand what all the fuss is about.
We are 2 points outside the play offs with 1/2 games in hand. That has been achieved with disruptions to our season and injuries to key players.

That is the reality of the situation. From where i am sat it’s a very cpositive situation.
Why should the summer be any different than last as these loans are returned to sender , so more will follow and the odd signing bolster the contracted players untill we reap the results of penny pinching and making do . We can not afford to go up with all that entails or get relegated to L2 . So L1 is our home until we trip over the next bunch of kids like Rankin Brevitt or Snodin’s . It’s fun waiting tho ‘ !

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on January 09, 2020, 03:30:29 pm by Jonathan »

Broadly agree Jonathan but are you seriously suggesting they haven:t done any groundwork prior to the window?

No I’m not suggesting that no groundwork has been done. I’m just highlighting that, although there’s still plenty of time left, progress continues to be slower than hoped.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on January 09, 2020, 03:33:58 pm by IDM »
Personally I would rather wait until the summer and sign the players DM wants, rather than sign someone now just to make up the numbers.
We have plenty of young players knocking on the door in Jones, Amos, Blaney, Greaves, Gomes, Watters etc. Plus the option of another few loanees to replace existing ones assuming we don’t keep any of the existing ones.

We need to sign Deing if possible or another quality keeper if he is not made available by QPR.

We are 2 points outside the play offs with 1/2 games in hand. That has been achieved with disruptions to our season and injuries to key players.

That is the reality of the situation. From where i am sat it’s a very cpositive situation.
Why should the summer be any different than last as these loans are returned to sender , so more will follow and the odd signing bolster the contracted players untill we reap the results of penny pinching and making do . We can not afford to go up with all that entails or get relegated to L2 . So L1 is our home until we trip over the next bunch of kids like Rankin Brevitt or Snodin’s . It’s fun waiting tho ‘ !

Summer will be hugely different if we don’t swap managers halfway through the window.!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on January 09, 2020, 03:41:22 pm by selby »
  In the summer the news on here was that the club were making a stance on the amount of money paid to agents for doing a deal. The word was that we are willing to pay a player more money, but he has to deal with his agent.
  I myself agree with this stance, and it may be the reason we are not able to go out and sign players as easily as other clubs willing to give untold riches to middle men.
  I have no evidence whether any of this is at all true, just what I read either on here or elsewhere,  but if it is true I fully support the club in their stance, and wish that other clubs would do the same thing, and stop money leaving the game in this manner.
  I have no doubt there will be good and bad agents, some will have their players best interest at heart, others will be all for themselves, but it is time the football authorities cleaned the business up.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on January 09, 2020, 03:50:29 pm by Campsall rover »
Why is it only half a dozen of us or so can see the big picture.  ;)

CBcb got it spot on with his last post.  :thumbsup:

Oh if it is more than half a dozen or so, my apologies.
No names so i can’t get myself into trouble hopefully.   :facepalm:

There we go again.. your visionary bigger picture...
You stew in your world then & i will stick to mine.
If your happy talking up the negatives then that’s up to you.

If you don’t have a vision then life becomes very mundane and that’s very true in business and in the world of football and sport in general.

I believe we have visionaries running DRFC and they have a plan to carry it out.
This Club is being built on solid foundations and that’s going give the opportunity for the club to have a very successful future.

If you want to believe otherwise that’s your choice but don’t criticise me and others for being up beat about the football club we are proud to support.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 03:55:39 pm by Campsall rover »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on January 09, 2020, 04:04:36 pm by Filo »
To be fair, any news from the usual Thursday presser is rather late, could this mean we could have good news today?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on January 09, 2020, 04:11:56 pm by selby »
Any signings now this late in the week would only go to muddy the waters for picking the team for the weekend if we have no injuries, surely like on Tuesday the same team will start the game if at all possible.
  So where would a new signing fit, on the bench most probably, because unless he has trained with us already tomorrow will be a travelling day for the team, so very little time to assimilate anyone and they would have to play completely off the cuff.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on January 09, 2020, 04:19:42 pm by steve@dcfd »
Any signings now this late in the week would only go to muddy the waters for picking the team for the weekend if we have no injuries, surely like on Tuesday the same team will start the game if at all possible.
  So where would a new signing fit, on the bench most probably, because unless he has trained with us already tomorrow will be a travelling day for the team, so very little time to assimilate anyone and they would have to play completely off the cuff.
That hasn’t stopped other league 1 clubs signing players today but let’s wait and see if we can get anybody in.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on January 09, 2020, 04:43:09 pm by selby »
Steve, what other clubs do I have no interest at all to be honest, and would be more than happy for us to make a signing, but only if it in no way deflects the management and team from the most important thing of concentrating on winning our next fixture on Saturday.
  It is so easy to do with local media attention etc. if  it happens it happens, but at this late time in the time scale to our next match, and the form shown in the last few games, I don't see a need to hurry anything.
  The players who have left have taken very little part over the holiday period in games, and if the squad who played Tuesday are available with no injuries how are we any worse off apart from our supporters impatience.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on January 09, 2020, 04:48:35 pm by silent majority »
  In the summer the news on here was that the club were making a stance on the amount of money paid to agents for doing a deal. The word was that we are willing to pay a player more money, but he has to deal with his agent.
  I myself agree with this stance, and it may be the reason we are not able to go out and sign players as easily as other clubs willing to give untold riches to middle men.
  I have no evidence whether any of this is at all true, just what I read either on here or elsewhere,  but if it is true I fully support the club in their stance, and wish that other clubs would do the same thing, and stop money leaving the game in this manner.
  I have no doubt there will be good and bad agents, some will have their players best interest at heart, others will be all for themselves, but it is time the football authorities cleaned the business up.

That's been the case for a while Selby, that we restrict the amount of money we are prepared to pay agents.

The sums I've seen mentioned for various deals in our league can be frightening.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on January 09, 2020, 04:53:44 pm by dickos1 »

That is the reality of the situation. From where i am sat it’s a very positive situation.

Why can’t we sign players Moore wants now? Do you really think he’s targeted nobody for this window?
The squad was wafer thin a month ago, since then we’ve lost 3 players and you’re suggesting we don’t need players?
Moore has even stated himself we need bodies, you predicted earlier this season we could finish top two and now you’re resigning yourself to a midtable finish, because that is all we can hope for with no additions

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on January 09, 2020, 05:07:20 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
All this speculation is unhealthy and helping no one.

It's not safe or right to assume anything.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on January 09, 2020, 05:10:32 pm by dickos1 »
But Moore himself has stated each day this week that it could be today or tomorrow
So deals seem to be getting far down the line but then falling through
This happened in the summer and it’s happening again.

There has to be a reason why

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on January 09, 2020, 05:13:39 pm by IDM »
Do we know that deals under discussion now have fallen through, or just not yet done.?

Sorry if that sounds pedantic but there is a difference..  then you have things like the Idah situation being beyond our control.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on January 09, 2020, 05:20:06 pm by dickos1 »
No we don’t
But In the summer deals fell through for whatever reason, and now we’re almost 10 days into the window and haven’t concluded a deal yet.
And after the summer you’d have hoped we’d have deals lined up just waiting to be announced

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on January 09, 2020, 05:22:51 pm by the vicar »
It just gets me that other teams can get players over the line but we can't.  Is it we are aiming too high or is it we don't give agent a big enough cut or is it we are not paying enough wages, I don't know but there is surely a a miss

lee.j09

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on January 09, 2020, 05:25:04 pm by lee.j09 »

That's been the case for a while Selby, that we restrict the amount of money we are prepared to pay agents.

The sums I've seen mentioned for various deals in our league can be frightening.

But that’s football and if you don’t pay the fees you don’t get the players.

It’s pretty obvious that isn’t it looking at our incomings.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on January 09, 2020, 05:27:25 pm by steve@dcfd »
Question do you have to pay agents if we are bringing in players on loan?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012