Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 03:18:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Brexit - the gift that keeps on giving.  (Read 12102 times)

foxbat

• VSC Member
Brexit - the gift that keeps on giving.
« on January 09, 2020, 04:18:50 pm by foxbat »
I understand the passion with which people want to continue the fight to remain.

It was commendable, from everyone - but now is sadly the time to step back, for a while ,
from frontline campaigning - now is the time for allowing it to play out , scrutinizing every development & reminding people that this is what they voted for

I’ll  post this as a starter :

UK House of Commons@HouseofCommons

MPs have voted against New Clause 2 being added to the European Union (Withdrawal Agreement) Bill, by 344 votes to 255. This new clause would have required the Government to negotiate a comprehensive agreement with the EU protecting workers’ rights.

This means your annual leave, working hours, maternity, paternity, sick leave and pay, accessibility and protections against discrimination in the work place, grievance policies and tribunals. This is what they always meant by “red tape”.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

tommy toes

• Forum Member
Re: Brexit - the gift that keeps on giving.
« Reply #1 on January 09, 2020, 06:22:05 pm by tommy toes »
I know. Fully expected from the Tories and what Labour have been predicting.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 09, 2020, 08:44:03 pm by Copps is Magic »
And erasmus. A scheme that's helped hundreds of thousands young British People.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 09, 2020, 08:57:40 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
And erasmus. A scheme that's helped hundreds of thousands young British People.

...who don't vote Tory. ;)

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 10, 2020, 07:37:04 pm by foxbat »
Erasmus , yes , does make you wonder how denying ouir children the opportunity to be funded to study in Europe , makes us 'better off' after Brexit.

meanwhile next up today

The #Brexit effect has hit South Yorkshire with redundancies in the steel industry. The management have said Brexit is a factor. The majority of redundancies are in Stockbridge which voted for Brexit and returned a new Tory MP.

Miriam Cates, the newly-elected Conservative MP for Penistone and Stocksbridge, described the news as "devastating". ( won't affect her MP's salary I think )

S & W Yorkshire for Europe  @SWYforEurope
Our sympathies are with the victims of #JohnsonsBrexit, no matter how they voted.
This story will play out across the UK over the next few decades.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 10, 2020, 09:50:27 pm by SydneyRover »
Maybe we should start a list with the pros on one side and cons on the other. (cue some dad jokes)

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 13, 2020, 07:29:00 pm by foxbat »
More Japanese starting to pull  out already.

Hitachi have announced 250 job losses at their rail factory at Newton Aycliffe, County Durham.

Getting an early taste of Brexit reality Paul Howell, the new Tory MP for Sedgefield,
called the news "unwelcome"

( 2nd new Tory northern MP , facing massive redundancies in their constituency )

Who was it who said ‘ the poorest regions would be hit the hardest ?
Oh , just some ‘experts’ I suppose.

Our sympathies are with the victims of #JohnsonsBrexit.
This story will play out across the UK

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 13, 2020, 08:03:30 pm by Muttley »
Another potential "Brexit dividend"...

Man gets ‘Brexit surprise’ on invoice for new Mercedes-Benz

A man has no idea how much he will end up paying for his new Mercedes-Benz after a ‘Brexit disclaimer’ was put on it. John Hamill, 65, completed his order on Thursday, only to be handed an invoice with a stamp that said the price could change any time up to delivery day, should a customs duty tariff be put on cars imported into the UK after leaving the EU. The retired company director, from Hamilton in Scotland, was not told the cost could change prior to putting down a £500 deposit. He says staff were also unable to give him a firm date of delivery, meaning he could be waiting until May to know the final price. John told Metro.co.uk: ‘I ordered the car, I paid the £500 deposit and then they handed me the invoice – and that’s when I found out the price I’ll finally be paying is actually unknown. You couldn’t miss the big stamp. ‘You would think they’d tell me this before, but they didn’t.’ He added: ‘They couldn’t give me an estimate of how much the price could go up by because they don’t know what’s happening.’

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2020/01/13/man-gets-brexit-surprise-on-invoice-for-new-mercedes-benz-12038546/?ito=cbshare

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 13, 2020, 08:08:41 pm by Ldr »

Hitachi have announced 250 job losses at their rail factory at Newton Aycliffe, County Durham.

Getting an early taste of Brexit reality Paul Howell, the new Tory MP for Sedgefield,

( 2nd new Tory northern MP , facing massive redundancies in their constituency )

That because they haven't been given the contract for the new tyne and wear metro fleet not Brexit. Nice try though

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 14, 2020, 06:06:58 pm by Filo »

A man has no idea how much he will end up paying for his new Mercedes-Benz after a ‘Brexit disclaimer’ was put on it. John Hamill, 65, completed his order on Thursday, only to be handed an invoice with a stamp that said the price could change any time up to delivery day, should a customs duty tariff be put on cars imported into the UK after leaving the EU. The retired company director, from Hamilton in Scotland, was not told the cost could change prior to putting down a £500 deposit. He says staff were also unable to give him a firm date of delivery, meaning he could be waiting until May to know the final price. John told Metro.co.uk: ‘I ordered the car, I paid the £500 deposit and then they handed me the invoice – and that’s when I found out the price I’ll finally be paying is actually unknown. You couldn’t miss the big stamp. ‘You would think they’d tell me this before, but they didn’t.’ He added: ‘They couldn’t give me an estimate of how much the price could go up by because they don’t know what’s happening.’

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2020/01/13/man-gets-brexit-surprise-on-invoice-for-new-mercedes-benz-12038546/?ito=cbshare

His car is more than likely already in the UK at some distribution hub, much like the BMW one at Thorne

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 14, 2020, 06:24:19 pm by drfchound »
But aren’t these Brexit problems the fault of people who voted to leave the EU.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 14, 2020, 07:18:26 pm by Ldr »

His car is more than likely already in the UK at some distribution hub, much like the BMW one at Thorne

When I got mine it was 13 weeks from ordering. Took 10 weeks to be allocated a chassis number in Munich! Only sat in Thorne for 48 hours in the process

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 14, 2020, 07:24:41 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

That because they haven't been given the contract for the new tyne and wear metro fleet not Brexit. Nice try though

Who did get that contract?

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 14, 2020, 07:27:41 pm by Ldr »
Down to CAF or Stadler apparently, to be announced this month according to what I hear up here. Both have uk factories though

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 17, 2020, 01:30:30 pm by foxbat »
Production of a key Vauxhall Astra variant is being SHIFTED to GERMANY from the UK, raising fresh fears for the firm's Ellesmere Port plant in Cheshire.

Vauxhall owner PSA Group will make the Astra estate in Russelsheim from 2022 - ratcheting up pressure on Ellesmere Port and its 1,000 staff.

The estate model represents the vast bulk of the 59,000 cars which roll off the UK site's production line each year, and losing it is a severe blow.

It comes as car industry chiefs nervously await trade talks between Brussels and the UK. Lobbyists say that if tariffs are introduced then it will wreck their supply chain and trigger mass British factory closures.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 17, 2020, 01:57:14 pm by Ldr »
I moved my tinned food from one cupboard to a different one, eant to blame Brexit for that too?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 17, 2020, 02:31:32 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Dunno. Does Brexit make one cupboard less financially and practically attractive?

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 17, 2020, 03:06:58 pm by foxbat »
very amusing joke , perhaps you try cracking it the Ellesmere Port factory

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 17, 2020, 04:49:08 pm by Ldr »
Dunno. Does Brexit make one cupboard less financially and practically attractive?

Maybe, the shelf is sturdier 😅

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 17, 2020, 04:49:32 pm by Ldr »
very amusing joke , perhaps you try cracking it the Ellesmere Port factory

Lighten up comrade, you'll enjoy life more

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 18, 2020, 11:14:59 pm by SydneyRover »
''Businesses have predicted price rises after the UK chancellor, Sajid Javid, said there would be no alignment with EU regulations once Britain’s exit from the European Union was made official.

In what is being seen as an opening salvo in the next stage of negotiations, Javid said the Treasury would not lend support to manufacturers that favour EU rules as the sector had had three years to prepare for Britain’s transition.''

And of course the government was over-prepared with the ferries being the star of the show  :)

''The Confederation of British Industry (CBI) on Saturday said alignment supported jobs and competitiveness for many firms. The group’s director general, Carolyn Fairbairn, said business “recognises there are areas where the UK can benefit from its future right to diverge from EU regulation” but urged government “not to treat this right as an obligation to diverge”.

“For some firms, divergence brings value, but for many others, alignment supports jobs and competitiveness – particularly in some of the most deprived regions of the UK,” she said.

The co-executive director of the British Chamber of Commerce, Claire Walker, said that while business communities were prepared to be pragmatic about coming changes to regulation, “uncertainty around the extent of divergence risks firms moving their production elsewhere”.''

but what would the CBI know aye?  :)

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jan/18/savid-javid-warns-there-will-be-no-alignment-on-eu-regulations-after-brexit

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on January 21, 2020, 09:46:14 am by selby »
  Aye its crap, only a thousand financial firms lining up to come now then. Growth expected now to be one of the highest, and higher than Germany and France in the next two years.
    Anyone got reams of experts saying we are going to tank.
     ITS A BREXIT BOUNCE

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on January 21, 2020, 09:50:01 am by SydneyRover »
Sources Selby please, the dog ate my homework is not acceptable  :)

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 21, 2020, 09:52:51 am by selby »
  Get your head out of the sh**e you normally read Sydney it's on the BBC news

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on January 21, 2020, 10:07:57 am by SydneyRover »
What bst said on the 'cost of brexit thread'   :)

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on January 21, 2020, 10:15:26 am by selby »
  See my reply and add it to your list of to does he he

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on January 21, 2020, 10:17:05 am by SydneyRover »
Selby, common sense should tell you that it would be all over the front pages especially the murdoch rags if it were even remotely true.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on January 21, 2020, 10:43:09 am by selby »
  Facebook announcing  a thousand jobs here as well Sydney, they all want to come.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on January 21, 2020, 10:47:38 am by SydneyRover »
Selby I've put your phone number in the comments about the story as recruitment officer you should be getting a few calls soon   :)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on January 21, 2020, 01:47:33 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Selby.

Odd then that, after a decade of horrifically low growth, the Govt itself is predicting that outmr growth rate will remain 1-1.5% below the long term trend until the middle of the decade.

That'll lose us another £250-400bn of output, on top of the £200bn we've already lost due to Brexit, on top of the £2-300bn we lost due to the Tories' Austerity.

You're picking up crumbs of, hopefully, good news, and missing the point that the cake itself is hugely smaller than it should be.

Classic case of looking at individual trees and failing to see what's happening to the whole wood.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012