Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:06:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Hubble bubble .............. smells good  (Read 1850 times)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
Hubble bubble .............. smells good
« on March 31, 2020, 02:25:58 am by SydneyRover »
Trying a new recipe for tonight plenty of chilli, garlic and ginger ''Beef & Tomatoes'' a plain title but there are plenty of other spices to go in. A bit of random music from my collection, the sun is shining ...... for the moment and The Guardian comments open ready ........... what a way to spend a day of isolation.

I cook more so it can be freezed for another day ............. what's your favourite recipe? I can add the recipe if anyone likes Indian food.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
Re: Hubble bubble .............. smells good
« Reply #1 on March 31, 2020, 12:55:54 pm by Metalmicky »
We're having corned beef hash tonight.  I have a small tin of corned beef and am going to accompany this with softened onions and cabbage and mashed potatoes along with a large dash of Henderson's and a little chilli for some heat... Never made it before, so if there are any Hash Brown connoisseurs out there, let me know your tips... 

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on March 31, 2020, 01:11:20 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Prefer it in a joint.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 31, 2020, 01:35:05 pm by Metalmicky »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 31, 2020, 01:43:08 pm by selby »
He is from Bentley, Corned Beef is in a lump out of the tin( a joint) and for Sunday best, tea in Robinson's jam jars.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on March 31, 2020, 02:02:07 pm by Bentley Bullet »
It had to be that Fray Bent 'hoss stuff, though. And the Jam jars had to come from Molly's shop on Bentley road. Always good Gollies at Miss Molly's.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on March 31, 2020, 03:11:07 pm by IDM »
Back on topic, and moving away from Little Richard jokes, we’re having roasted veg on puff pastry squares tonight.. kind of like a pizza, but not a pizza..

We’ve made homemade soups with easily available  veg like parsnip, carrot, cauliflower - separate not all together of course..

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 31, 2020, 03:20:06 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Want to swap it for some bog rolls?

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on March 31, 2020, 04:17:10 pm by Mike_F »
Easy and very tasty paella is a go-to for me. You can substitute the meats for veg if you're one of them. Add more smoked paprika though to compensate for the lack of chorizo.

Ingredients:
Butter
Veg Oil
Paella rice
Garlic
Shallots
Red & Yellow Peppers
Mushrooms
Chorizo
Fresh Prawns
2 pints of stock (Chicken/veg)
Smoked Paprika
Saffron

Get a big, round pan. I use a Le Creuset but a big frying pan is ok.

Chop a few shallots (or very finely chop a medium sized onion if you haven't got/can't get shallots.

Fry in oil & butter until they're starting to turn translucent and add either two teaspoons of lazy garlic or three cloves of ground/finely chopped fresh garlic,half a finely chopped red pepper, the same of yellow pepper and about 150g of finely chopped mushrooms.

Fry for a couple of minutes then add sliced chorizo (I know no traditional spanish paella will include chirizo but it's tasty so I throw it in).

Fry for another minute or two then tip in paella rice (or risotto rice if you're in a pinch). Stir until it's coated in oil. Some oil should leech out of the chorizo for added flavour.

Add a pint of stock. I like to make mine by boiling the chicken carcass on a Sunday and saving it for use in paella, curry or soup but you can use stock cubes/packets.

When the stock is pretty much absorbed, add a heaped teaspoon of the best smoked paprika you've got and a a liberal sprinkling of saffron strands. Stir it in.

Keep adding stock a bit at a time and stirring occasionally for the next ~30 minutes. Simmer over a medium heat until the rice is almost soft to the bite. If you run out of stock and it's still too firm, chuck a bit of water in. Stir in the fresh prawns and cook for another couple of minutes until they've changed colour to pink all over and they're cooked through.

If you've done it right there should be a nice crunchy "Soccarat" crust on the bottom of the pan that's got a delicious toasty flavour.

Stick it in the middle and let everyone dive in. Maybe serve with some crusty bread and a bottle of Rioja.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 31, 2020, 04:21:16 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Cheese on toast;

Get some raw toast (bread), and put some cheese on it.
turn the toaster on its side and slide bread with cheese on gently into the toaster, being careful not to spill the cheese.
After a couple of minutes get ready to catch the cheese on toast when it pops out (this means the meal is ready).
Don't forget to stand the toaster back up when finished before the wife see's it.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 31, 2020, 04:39:45 pm by scawsby steve »
Trying a new recipe for tonight plenty of chilli, garlic and ginger ''Beef & Tomatoes'' a plain title but there are plenty of other spices to go in. A bit of random music from my collection, the sun is shining ...... for the moment and The Guardian comments open ready ........... what a way to spend a day of isolation.

I cook more so it can be freezed for another day ............. what's your favourite recipe? I can add the recipe if anyone likes Indian food.

Sounds a fantastic all round day Sydney. What a shame you've ruined it with the Guardian. You'd have been much better with the Beano.

More educational.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 31, 2020, 09:46:44 pm by SydneyRover »
 :lol:

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 31, 2020, 10:36:01 pm by SydneyRover »
We're having corned beef hash tonight.  I have a small tin of corned beef and am going to accompany this with softened onions and cabbage and mashed potatoes along with a large dash of Henderson's and a little chilli for some heat... Never made it before, so if there are any Hash Brown connoisseurs out there, let me know your tips...

Haven't had this for decades hope you enjoyed it, I remember it used to be made in a frying pan with sliced potato.

bahrain rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 01, 2020, 04:45:09 am by bahrain rover »
Corned beef Silog (Filipino) is a favorite of mine and a breakfast staple in the Philippines. Corned beef fried up with red onions and garlic, then add soy sauce or patis (fish version of soy) and white vinegar and let it simmer and reduce down. Take leftover rice from the day before and make garlic fried rice. Top it all of with a runny fried egg, and your good to go all day till tea time.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 01, 2020, 08:47:45 am by SydneyRover »
Will definately try some of the above, for those that like Indian I use a book given to me by my neighbours around 20 years ago ''The Classic 1000 Indian Recipes''

My favourite meal is marinara for which I use about 400grms of a mixed fresh seafood which includes mussels, squid rings white fish and prawns and pasta.

Allow seafood to reach room temp.

Heat some oil and butter in a pan and fry off some fresh chopped garlic and quite a few shakes of tabasco sauce to taste with a pinch of salt and plenty ground pepper, before the galic turns brown toss in the seafood and fry turning until almost done then add about half a 440gram tin of crushed toms and simmer for a few minutes which can sit until the spaghetti is ready. Done, 10 minutes max, serves 2 nice with a tomato and green salad and goes well with a reasonable red from Aldi.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 08:51:17 am by SydneyRover »

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on April 04, 2020, 07:48:36 am by SydneyRover »
Algerian tonight, couscous with chicken and vegetables, we had Albanian last night and Afghan the night before, we're working our way through recipes of the world alphabetically and we play each countries national anthem at some time during the proceedings. Not sure how long we can keep it up though  :)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on April 14, 2020, 02:48:06 am by SydneyRover »
Following 11 a's we're into the b's, Bahamian but will modify a fish dish to suit.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on April 16, 2020, 03:10:34 pm by Mike_F »
I invested in an air fryer a couple of months ago.

I reckon I've just about perfected making a batch of home made chips in it now.

Dead easy; just chop the spuds into chips (skin on FTW), toss in oil, add a bit of salt and paprika before they go in and fry on max for 12-15 mins, turning regularly with tongs.

Take them out and toss in oil again then repeat the process. They're turning out great every time.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 16, 2020, 04:03:22 pm by Metalmicky »
I invested in an air fryer a couple of months ago.

I reckon I've just about perfected making a batch of home made chips in it now.

Dead easy; just chop the spuds into chips (skin on FTW), toss in oil, add a bit of salt and paprika before they go in and fry on max for 12-15 mins, turning regularly with tongs.

Take them out and toss in oil again then repeat the process. They're turning out great every time.

Was going to get one of these - some questions for you...

What make did you get?
Does it make the house smell of frying?
Can you use those low calorie spray oils
What else can it cook?

Appreciate your responses...  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 04:42:25 pm by Metalmicky »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on April 16, 2020, 04:05:21 pm by selby »
  The trouble with you Syd is you want Jam on it.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on April 16, 2020, 10:14:41 pm by SydneyRover »
Conserve your energy selby  :)

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on April 17, 2020, 07:42:46 am by BigH »
Cheese on toast;

Get some raw toast (bread), and put some cheese on it.
turn the toaster on its side and slide bread with cheese on gently into the toaster, being careful not to spill the cheese.
After a couple of minutes get ready to catch the cheese on toast when it pops out (this means the meal is ready).
Don't forget to stand the toaster back up when finished before the wife see's it.
That last bit is absolutely crucial BB.

Still wearing the bruises to prove it!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012