Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:40:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Coventry City game  (Read 8666 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Coventry City game
« on January 12, 2020, 09:25:51 am by selby »
   As the season goes on and games look to get harder against good sides  we seem to have hit a bit of form ourselves and have really closed the gap on the top sides, exciting times.
  Our form has been built on a defence that is growing in stature and allowing our good players in midfield to have the platform to dominate the opposition in that area, our goal keeper and central defenders just seeming to better with every game.
  All the team including the substitutes in recent games have stepped up to the plate and are starting to make significant contributions to our on field game, as Coppinger and Bingham highlighted yesterday. We have some significant players in midfield and at full back, who are showing good and consistent form, while Sadlier Taylor and Ennis have been direct and worked hard when not in possession, so as a team the sum of our game has been better than the individual, great credit to the coaching staff.
   Coventry are probably the best team I have seen us play along with Oxford strong in midfield particularly.
   So lot's riding on trying to get a result.
   Can we keep our improved form going?
   Two good tactical astute managers, who will succeed?
   Will Coppinger start ?
   Will our attendance reflect our form and more attend?
   Lot's to discuss please have your say

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the Coventry City game
« Reply #1 on January 12, 2020, 09:41:25 am by Colin C No.3 »
As our most creative midfielder I certainly expect Copps to start. Another assist today to add to the one on Tuesday night, wonder how many that is for the season now.....cue BST’s stat ‘machine’.😉

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 12, 2020, 09:43:00 am by NewDonny »
Same team that started yesterday but with Coppinger back in for Gomes would be my guess.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 12, 2020, 09:47:54 am by Alan Southstand »
A good signing or two may put the crowd numbers to where they should be, for a team that is grinding out results. Long may it continue. No fuss, no bragging, no sound bites, the manager and his support staff deserve enormous credit for getting results despite us being, arguably, one of weakest squads in the division (in numbers, at least).

A game that will set a marker down, as Coventry are a strong outfit and look like being top 6 contenders themselves. If only we could get that striker in!

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 12, 2020, 09:48:12 am by Campsall rover »
Big game as they all are now to the end of the season.
See this as a 6 pointer. Not crucial of course with still 21 games to play.
But this will be a big pointer towards where we are and our credentials as possibly an auto promotion team.
As you said Brian they played some very good football at St Andrews and have a strong midfield. They were just lacking up top in scoring goals.
The goals now are flowing fairly consistently and have scored 4 twice in recent weeks, although only managed a 1-1 at home to MK Dons yesterday.

Should be a 10.000 + crowd as they will probably bring 2000/2500 + to the Keepmoat on Saturday.
Should be a cracker as I think Coventry will be fairly offensive with their game plan.
1st goal is always important. Clean sheets are going to get us a a heck of a lot of 3 points between now & end of the season.
If we get the winner in the 93rd min i will be happy.

Question. I know he is not as vocal and he isn’t even the captain.
Is Tom Anderson the new Rob Jones. In fact this back 4 is now resembling that one of 2012/13 in so many ways.
Omen or what.

Blackpool at Bloomfield Road on May 4th 2020 !!!!!!!!!!!

Getting way ahead of myself now. Will be very happy with a trip to Wembley.  :that:

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 12, 2020, 09:53:32 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Two evenly matched teams in form and style. You could say it's got a draw written all over it.

I'm sure they will try to draw us in and visa versa to hit on the break, unless DM adopts a more aggressive approach and ups the intensity. He may feel now we have a couple more players back he can afford to up the ante.

I think we can be more confident that we are good with or without Copps but again he could be the one out there to make the difference. Unless of course DM can add that extra ingredient we all crave for.

I really hope more people have gotten over their post Christmas blues and man/woman flu and get down to the Keepmoat!

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 12, 2020, 10:01:58 am by Chris Black come back »
We have hosted Coventry City 13 times in our history, stretching back to January 1926.

In those 13 games we have only lost once, strangely in our 2012/13 title winning season in League One.

Since that defeat, we have won three straight home games against them, 2-0 on each occasion.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 12, 2020, 10:06:04 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
We have hosted Coventry City 13 times in our history, stretching back to January 1926.

In those 13 games we have only lost once, strangely in our 2012/13 title winning season in League One.

Since that defeat, we have won three straight home games against them, 2-0 on each occasion.

Well that's it then, nowt to worry about!

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 12, 2020, 10:09:46 am by Campsall rover »

Well that's it then, nowt to worry about!
If only football was as simple as that.
Well actually it would be very boring wouldn’t it.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 12, 2020, 12:44:11 pm by bedale rover »

We lost one nil at the Ricoh in 2008/9 season
Been there twice and lost both times

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 12, 2020, 02:56:06 pm by selby »
  Liam Walsh a mid field player on loan from Bristol City, in our away game gave one of the best individual  displays of the season against us, he looked a terrifically gifted footballer, also both their full backs pushed forward and caused us lots of trouble, although were not that great defending, so our wide men have a big responsibility to peg them back.
  Mark Robins, I consider is one that got away from us in the past, a manager I have always respected, and would have preferred to Fergie myself, but totally irrelevant to this game, although I am expecting Darren to come up against one of the most proactive managers in this division along with Mr Clough, not adverse to changing formations during a game to  get the advantage.
  At St Andrews it was a very tight affair, nothing between the sides, and both teams playing well.
  They played a high tempo game based on pace, a game that is not easy to maintain over a long season, hopefully it is beginning to tell on their play in the second half of the season.
  A game to look forward to, good football to be expected, and we can approach games with a bit of confidence that we will be at least competitive, play well to our strengths and we have every chance of getting a result, Whiteman and Sheaf now playing their best football of the season, and as a team we seem to have recovered our cohesion and have that little maestro Coppinger to call on when everything else fails.
  Like everyone else I am hoping we can strengthen the squad in the next few days, Blair coming back to fitness a big boost to us, and Bingham's contribution yesterday was a boost to the supporters and no doubt to himself. it was a great goal, Bingham collecting the ball in his own half  with their centre half behind him, he collected the ball and laid it wide to James who played it down the line to Coppinger  who ran into the area and pulled it back to the edge of the box from the goal line, where Bingham took it away from a defender in his stride and placed a great shot in the far corner.
  Now I know the criticism Bingham has had, but to turn after laying the ball off and get into the box for the pulled back pass showed great pace and determination to get in there bloody well done lad.
  I would start the same team as yesterday apart from Coppinger in for Gomes, harsh on Gomes probably who did well yesterday, but Coppinger has more flair ( he has more than most players at this level not a slight on Gomes) who himself is showing good progress and could well grow into being a vital player with more experience.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 12, 2020, 08:07:57 pm by scawsby steve »
  Liam Walsh a mid field player on loan from Bristol City, in our away game gave one of the best individual  displays of the season against us, he looked a terrifically gifted footballer, also both their full backs pushed forward and caused us lots of trouble, although were not that great defending, so our wide men have a big responsibility to peg them back.
  Mark Robins, I consider is one that got away from us in the past, a manager I have always respected, and would have preferred to Fergie myself, but totally irrelevant to this game, although I am expecting Darren to come up against one of the most proactive managers in this division along with Mr Clough, not adverse to changing formations during a game to  get the advantage.
  At St Andrews it was a very tight affair, nothing between the sides, and both teams playing well.
  They played a high tempo game based on pace, a game that is not easy to maintain over a long season, hopefully it is beginning to tell on their play in the second half of the season.
  A game to look forward to, good football to be expected, and we can approach games with a bit of confidence that we will be at least competitive, play well to our strengths and we have every chance of getting a result, Whiteman and Sheaf now playing their best football of the season, and as a team we seem to have recovered our cohesion and have that little maestro Coppinger to call on when everything else fails.
  Like everyone else I am hoping we can strengthen the squad in the next few days, Blair coming back to fitness a big boost to us, and Bingham's contribution yesterday was a boost to the supporters and no doubt to himself. it was a great goal, Bingham collecting the ball in his own half  with their centre half behind him, he collected the ball and laid it wide to James who played it down the line to Coppinger  who ran into the area and pulled it back to the edge of the box from the goal line, where Bingham took it away from a defender in his stride and placed a great shot in the far corner.
  Now I know the criticism Bingham has had, but to turn after laying the ball off and get into the box for the pulled back pass showed great pace and determination to get in there bloody well done lad.
  I would start the same team as yesterday apart from Coppinger in for Gomes, harsh on Gomes probably who did well yesterday, but Coppinger has more flair ( he has more than most players at this level not a slight on Gomes) who himself is showing good progress and could well grow into being a vital player with more experience.

Just a bit of pedantry Brian. It was Sheaf who played the ball down the line to Copps for the second goal.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 12, 2020, 08:49:13 pm by selby »
 Love a bit of pedantry Steve,my eyes have gone. bloody great move though, and Sheaf is now playing very well and having more influence on games.
 He had a great game yesterday and is getting more involved in the games and on the ball more than before Christmas.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 12, 2020, 09:03:55 pm by Chris Black come back »
Coventry were very impressive when we played them at St Andrews, with the exception of their finishing, which on that day was dire. We were hanging on at times but their strikers were all over the place. While their overall goals scored is about average in top half, only Matt Godden troubles the top scorers table and even then he has only scored one more than Sadlier.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 12, 2020, 09:13:27 pm by IDM »
We missed a couple of really good chances that day, Ennis really early scuffed one wide and Taylor in the second half somehow blasted over when he had time to place it in the net..

I was happy with the draw that day.

Reesielad

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 12, 2020, 09:51:12 pm by Reesielad »
I don’t think Godden was playing that day was he, I maybe mistaken. I just remember Hiwula missing chance after chance, so if he did play then he must of been quiet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 12, 2020, 09:56:08 pm by IDM »
Godden played all 90 mins according to the bbc report..

Reesielad

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 12, 2020, 10:02:05 pm by Reesielad »
Godden played all 90 mins according to the bbc report..

Christ, Thanks. Shows how much attention I pay!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 12, 2020, 10:34:44 pm by IDM »
I couldn’t remember either so looked back to check..

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 13, 2020, 04:27:29 am by scawsby steve »
The kid that impressed the most that day was Callum O'Hare, on loan from Villa, and apparently of interest to us at the beginning of the season.

He ran our defence ragged at times.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 13, 2020, 09:45:25 am by selby »
  Steve you are right he had a blinder that day.
        Fejiri Okenabirhe is supposed to be on the point of signing for us from Shrewsbury according to reports and a thread on this forum. I can remember him from our game at Shrewsbury last season, when they beat us 2-0 battered us in the first half, and some how stopped us from scoring when we battered them in the second half, the game being mostly played in the half of the field in front of us the away fans.
  Myself and my mate Derek discussed on the night why was it we never seem to sign unknown players like Fejiri who are big strong lads with pace, that give us loads of trouble,and how teams like Shrewsbury always seam to come up with someone from nowhere, him playing on the left of a front two and his partner running us ragged in the first half, we could not handle them, and I think resorted to bringing Butler I think on who had a slight injury and was not picked in the starting line up.
  He set up their second goal with a neat lay off, and looked a big strong unit who was mobile. If my memory is right we could have a great option as an attacking player on our hands, although I would start the same team with only Coppinger as a starting change, the old adage if it aint broke don't fix it comes to mind, and with any new signings, our present form allows us to be able to assimilate them into the team at a time the management think appropriate.
  And can I throw this in, Bingham played well in the first half at Wimbledon as a wide right player, and on Saturday showed he can be dangerous coming in from the left and altered a lot of peoples minds about his playing ability, as well as Blair coming back which is also a great addition, being able to cover we know a number of posits John is now back to fitness and able to play.
   If there are no outgoings to the actual match day squad, do we actually need now to sign any more players? I feel not because I still want to encourage the likes of Amos coming through, and don't see the need of a complete road block in front of the youngsters who have been on the fringes, What are your thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 09:57:07 am by selby »

donny dave

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 13, 2020, 10:17:35 am by donny dave »
I am with you give the Rovers youngsters a pathway to the first team.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 13, 2020, 11:16:32 am by NickDRFC »
Completely disagree with staying with what we’ve got, Selby. Do you really think we’ll go through the rest of the season without any injuries or suspensions? The squad is paper thin and assuming the lad from Shrewsbury signs then we still need at least 2 new faces.

Signing new players shouldn’t preclude youngsters from getting a chance - if they’re good enough, it’s down to Moore to introduce them to the first team and manage their appearances.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 13, 2020, 12:56:16 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Even more so after what happened at the Memorial Stadium on Saturday, teams will press us visciously from here on. I doubt our playing from the back and midfield will have that luxury again. The only exceptions could be when playing some of the other teams who are more open, and when playing away.

Coventry can play well by sitting back/counter attacking or by pressing, and they have the outlets to benefit from this. It will be a fascinating game, one in which tactical adaptability from Moore will be tested.

I expect it will be tight with a frantic last part to the game. Weather conditions are so far looking good.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on January 13, 2020, 02:29:28 pm by the vicar »
A good signing or two may put the crowd numbers to where they should be, for a team that is grinding out results. Long may it continue. No fuss, no bragging, no sound bites, the manager and his support staff deserve enormous credit for getting results despite us being, arguably, one of weakest squads in the division (in numbers, at least).

A game that will set a marker down, as Coventry are a strong outfit and look like being top 6 contenders themselves. If only we could get that striker in!
sadly the bad stretch we had 1 win in 11 did nothing for our home attendance and it takes ages to claw them back, but carry on as we are at the moment and they will surely come back

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on January 13, 2020, 05:20:02 pm by selby »
  Nick, I have no problem with us signing any player at all,  that is entirely up to the manager.
  My problem with it is when a manager ( like Fergie ) does not know his best team or even the best way their team plays,  When we have played well, kept clean sheets, and won a few games, my instinct is to even if we sign players, make them earn the shirt or give it away by playing poorly.
  Too many signings can muddy a managers thinking, I can remember Malcolm Allison explaining how he was responsible for Manchester City losing the league 1 title by signing the best midfield player in Europe at the time in Rodney Marsh, and how in hind sight he should have signed him, but not play him until the season after, as he changed the whole pace of how the team played.
  The pressure to play new players, especially loan players who a team put out to get game time, can result in better players not getting a game, as the useless winger we had from Aston Villa on loan under Fergie proved two or three years ago, and the one we had from Manchester City under the same manager, the only possible reason to play them was because of an agreement with their clubs, even I think that Fergie didn't  think them better than some of our other players at the time, but had to play them.
  I don't think Darren would fall into that trap by the way, but our present squad is a tight unit, in Blair John and Coppinger on the bench last week, Bingham changing peoples minds, and Lawlor and Jones as back up keepers plus the starting eleven unless a couple do leave two at the most is what I think we need to keep players in the team on their toes, and harmony in the changing rooms, which at this time of the season is critical.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on January 14, 2020, 11:39:27 am by Bristol Red Rover »
Big bounce back from Bristol Rovers tonight at Cov in the Cup? Likely to at least give them a harder game than they gave us, stand in manager Kevin Mayer giving them a freshness and them also playing for their manager, Ben Garner, who's daughter is apparently in intensive care. Plus some of that Cup distraction may benefit us either way.

Reesielad

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 14, 2020, 07:23:25 pm by Reesielad »
Matty Godden and a few regular players rested for their game against Bristol Rovers tonight.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on January 14, 2020, 08:15:26 pm by selby »
  It is just another game, one that if we play our best players, and they play well we have every chance of getting a good result.
  If football was easy to predict, we would have done a lot better in those ten so called easy matches before Christmas, and would have struggled in the last four or five.
 It's a funny old game.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on January 15, 2020, 12:23:44 pm by selby »
 After winning last night easily, Coventry are looking to push on with a win at our expense for their promotion push, their cup run not seeming to constrict their league 1 form, and is now looking as though it will pay off handsomely financially, and gives them a chance to invest in their playing staff.
  According to reports they brushed Bristol,Rovers aside easily with fast direct attacking football, and had the luxury of being able to rest a couple of their players from playing.
  So a hard game in prospect, them playing three at the back, a system that depends on their wing backs getting forward, so our wide men penning them back could be vital to our chances of exposing a defensive weakness if there is any.
  Our mid field needs at least to match them up, and if at all possible get control of that area, which will not be easy, the battle in that area at St Andrews showing both sides had players with skill and effort in that area.
  Both sides have the chance to send out a message to the rest of the division that they are serious contenders in the top half of the division, and I expect a tactical top draw division 1 game, that should be attractive to watch with the quality of young players on show. If the game is as good in quality and entertainment as the earlier fixture was, we are in for a good game at least, and hopefully another three points.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012