Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:47:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 854091 times)

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
Coronavirus
« on January 24, 2020, 09:59:48 am by Axholme Lion »
Do you catch this by drinking lemonade?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1 on January 24, 2020, 12:32:52 pm by RobTheRover »
Beer

Donnywolf

• VSC Member

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 05, 2020, 06:47:43 pm by mushRTID »
Surprised this hasn’t had more discussion.
How serious do we reckon this is?

Are we likely to get this under control?

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 05, 2020, 07:13:17 pm by Sprotyrover »

I hope so because according to the BBC last night the number of infected persons doubles every day. That could mean well over 1 Million infected within 2/3 weeks once you hit a Million you're at 12 million within 5 days.
3 days later you are looking at 100 million. Keep calm and carry on?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 05, 2020, 07:56:54 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

I hope so because according to the BBC last night the number of infected persons doubles every day. That could mean well over 1 Million infected within 2/3 weeks once you hit a Million you're at 12 million within 5 days.

10 days after that, you're at 100 billion. I'd say we're in trouble.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 05, 2020, 08:17:42 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Aren't Australia cracking on with the cure for it? Sure I read they'd made decent head way into it.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 05, 2020, 09:01:33 pm by BigH »

Only it's not doubling every day is it. It's going up by c3000 every day (ok there was a spike of 5000 today) and has been largely contained outside of China.

That's not to say that it couldn't suddenly rip through but, right now, nothing like as bad as SARS was.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 05, 2020, 09:05:40 pm by SydneyRover »
Aren't Australia cracking on with the cure for it? Sure I read they'd made decent head way into it.

Were sterilising the joint by setting fire down everything we can  :)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 05, 2020, 09:37:15 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Only it's not doubling every day is it. It's going up by c3000 every day (ok there was a spike of 5000 today) and has been largely contained outside of China.

That's not to say that it couldn't suddenly rip through but, right now, nothing like as bad as SARS was.

Not really right that, Big H.

There's already been 4 times as many cases of Coronavirus as SARS and nearly as many fatalities. It's inevitable that these numbers are going to increase greatly because it's already spread so far, and can be passed on asymptomatically, meaning it's nigh on impossible to contain it.

SARS had a much higher death rate once you'd contracted it, but this one is going to kill a lot more people.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 07, 2020, 09:07:46 am by River Don »

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 07, 2020, 09:38:39 am by Donnywolf »
Trying NOT to post anything political but dont worry folks as I am sure Hancock can be relied on for staying ahead of the coronavirus "curve" and delivering all of us from this mess

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 07, 2020, 09:46:51 am by River Don »
I have been visiting hospitals a lot recent, thanks to both parents having extended bouts of illness and I have to say, if this virus breaks out in the UK, I fear the NHS won't cope.

Already it's difficult to see a GP. A&E is already groaning under the strain and in the wards, there's a shortage of beds.

So it's vital they try and keep this thing out. At least until the weather warms up, there are reports that this Wuhan flu doesn't like warm conditions like regular winter flu. Fingers crossed that is correct, it might just give us some breathing space to get a vaccine sorted.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 07, 2020, 02:37:39 pm by Metalmicky »

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 07, 2020, 07:43:49 pm by BigH »

Not really right that, Big H.

There's already been 4 times as many cases of Coronavirus as SARS and nearly as many fatalities. It's inevitable that these numbers are going to increase greatly because it's already spread so far, and can be passed on asymptomatically, meaning it's nigh on impossible to contain it.

SARS had a much higher death rate once you'd contracted it, but this one is going to kill a lot more people.

Hang on a sec, which bit? The stats - if you believe them - show it's not doubling every day.

The comment about SARS, I agree; sorry, I was looking at the mortality rate which was aggressive in the case of SARS.

However, the fact is that there's still a lot that's not known about this virus although, what's promising so far, is that it does look like it can be contained.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 07, 2020, 09:01:15 pm by Sprotyrover »
Can you trust the Chinese govt?  very few of us would trust our own government. Why is the whole country in lock down? We are talking about 1.4 Billion people here!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 09:04:24 pm by Sprotyrover »

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on February 07, 2020, 09:34:06 pm by BigH »
Yep, a big question. Being cynical, it's easy to see the numbers being massaged.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on February 07, 2020, 10:58:12 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
BigH.

I was meaning that saying it was nothing like as bad as SARS wasn't really right. Because it has spread far, far more widely and infected more people than SARS did, and by the end of the weekend, will have killed more people too. That was the only bit I was taking issue with. The other thing is that, because it spreads asymptomatically, it is going to be far harder than SARS to contain. SARS infected a total of about 8000 people in ten weeks before it was brought under control. Coronavirus infected that many in ten DAYS and its still infecting many more new cases per day than SARS ever did.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 11:01:09 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 08, 2020, 10:26:56 am by River Don »
According to the official figures so far there are 638 dead and 1,568 recovered.

These are Chinese figures, there might be some doubt about them but we can assume if they are massaged they have been adjusted to look good.

It is a different statistic but it looks quite a bit different to the official mortality rate of just over 2%.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 08, 2020, 10:39:46 am by River Don »
We all so know for certain, it has killed two doctors and one of them appeared to be a fit, healthy bloke in his late thirties.

I have seen a figure, I don't know if it is official, reporting it has infected 29% of health workers in Chinese hospitals.

I'd say this thing is looking like it is very virulent.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 08, 2020, 10:42:43 am by BigH »
BigH.

I was meaning that saying it was nothing like as bad as SARS wasn't really right. Because it has spread far, far more widely and infected more people than SARS did, and by the end of the weekend, will have killed more people too. That was the only bit I was taking issue with. The other thing is that, because it spreads asymptomatically, it is going to be far harder than SARS to contain. SARS infected a total of about 8000 people in ten weeks before it was brought under control. Coronavirus infected that many in ten DAYS and its still infecting many more new cases per day than SARS ever did.
True.

I read a stat that the mortality rate in Wuhan us now around 4%. Scary.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 08, 2020, 11:02:54 am by BillyStubbsTears »
We all so know for certain, it has killed two doctors and one of them appeared to be a fit, healthy bloke in his late thirties.

I have seen a figure, I don't know if it is official, reporting it has infected 29% of health workers in Chinese hospitals.

I'd say this thing is looking like it is very virulent.

I heard an epidemiologist in the radio yesterday suggesting that the key issue may be how much of the virus someone comes into contact with initially. Because we don't have innate immunity, if a victim comes into contact with a lot of the virus, it can do a lot of damage to the lungs before our immune system starts to figure out how to deal with it.

That would explain why health workers are being hit hard I guess.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 08, 2020, 11:13:53 am by Filo »
My niece has been teaching in China and is coming home for for her Sisters wedding next Saturday, luckily she has been in Russia for the last 3 weeks visiting friends and did not return the China because her employers told her not to because of the virus

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 08, 2020, 12:12:54 pm by ravenrover »
According to the official figures so far there are 638 dead and 1,568 recovered.

These are Chinese figures, there might be some doubt about them but we can assume if they are massaged they have been adjusted to look good.

It is a different statistic but it looks quite a bit different to the official mortality rate of just over 2%.
Think you could probably add a couple of zeros on those figures

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 10, 2020, 08:43:31 pm by Sprotyrover »
Some disturbing stories circulating on social media,not going to quote any but I wouldn't trust our own Govt if this hit the UK big time and I certainly don't believe anything being peddled by the Chinese Government.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 13, 2020, 07:56:19 am by Metalmicky »
I certainly don't believe anything being peddled by the Chinese Government.

As expected really...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51482994

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 13, 2020, 08:38:25 am by River Don »
Last nights release of Corvd 19 figures confirms a couple of things.

The rumours about the Chinese government tampering with the figures were true.

They haven't got this thing under any sort of control in China. In fact they only put out figures for Hubei and haven't released the daily figure for China as a whole. It suggests it's worse than we now know it to be.

Overnight there has been another jump in infections aboard the Japanese cruise ship too.

It's going to be very difficult to contain in China I think.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on February 13, 2020, 10:11:29 am by BillyStubbsTears »
RD.

It's the Chinese Government that removed the official who wasn't reporting correctly, replaced him, and released these updated figures.

It's a bit harsh to blame the Chinese Govt for a cover up.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on February 13, 2020, 11:32:34 am by River Don »
BST

Well perhaps. It's odd that they have failed to release updated daily figures for the wider nation.

If that figure turns out to be substantially higher. My bet is it will. Then it points to a government cover up.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on February 13, 2020, 12:02:42 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
RD.

You might be right. But there's no sign of the Chinese national Govt covering things up. They have just sacked the head of the Communist party in Hubei province and released updated figures which (and this is the crucial thing) include a much wider definition of who is infected). Doing that first in the province most affected is logical.

It looks to me more like they are working out policy as they go, and finding some incompetent handling, than covering this up.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012