Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 08:31:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 854233 times)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #10890 on May 13, 2021, 12:06:19 am by SydneyRover »
Suppression relies heavily on track, trace and isolate if that's not working how can spread be halted, once the virus spread increase beyond a few thousand the task becomes impossible and we know the gov't shut it down because of system overload. Is it working properly yet, that is the question.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #10891 on May 13, 2021, 12:20:05 am by River Don »
Unfortunately, the track & trace has cost a lot of money and never really worked well in the UK. As you point out Sydney we still need it.

I think though the government has begun to believe this vacinne is a silver bullet and it might not be.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #10892 on May 13, 2021, 12:51:24 am by River Don »
Breaking news, Sage are meeting tomorrow to discuss the threat from Indian variant.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10893 on May 13, 2021, 12:53:37 am by bpoolrover »
From the FT.

Ravi Gupta, professor of clinical microbiology at Cambridge university and one of the leading scientists investigating new strains of Sars-Cov-2, told the Financial Times he had identified “worrying” cases of post-vaccination infection involving at least one of the new variants first identified in India — B.1.617.2

The B.1.617.1 variant has a particular mutation, known as E484Q, that is often associated with vaccine escape. That mutation is not present in the B.1.617.2 variant, which has spread from India to roughly 40 countries around the world, but it does have a different mutation called T478K, about which little is known.

“I’d put my money on the T487K mutation [causing breakthrough infections],” Gupta said.

https://www.ft.com/content/5f742765-61ac-4da6-8c6f-49119cd7d46c

I think that is enough of a worry to warrant caution in the UK now.
that’s my point rd you have one expert that thinks it might evade the vaccine I have shown one that possibly thinks it won’t, if you lock down because of that you will be in lockdown for the rest of your life , people in any country will not accept that because of a possibility

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10894 on May 13, 2021, 12:57:46 am by SydneyRover »
And there's a lot of stupidity .....

''Guests on same floor of Adelaide Playford Hotel as two coronavirus infected men told to quarantine again''

At quarantine hotels we have had problems with private security not performing to any standard at all, working at more than one facility, inadequate a/c systems where vented air is mixing between rooms, the list goes on and on, having ordinary guests in hotels must rank as extremely dumb, but on the same floor?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-13/adelaide-playford-hotel-guests-told-to-quarantine-again/100135182

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10895 on May 13, 2021, 01:12:15 am by SydneyRover »
Mistakes in Australia across all states have made more than enough mistakes but have been lucky in some circumstances and have contained outbreaks in many more due to thorough procedures.

Those mistakes are well documented right down to genome testing to find the exact source of contact and then of course the cause, in the great majority of cases.

But we are still making these mistakes and are having to have snap lockdowns if community transmission is found on subsequent days to the original transmission.

Although risk is very low here, I had my first jab only yesterday, it's like being stuck in a hamster wheel.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #10896 on May 13, 2021, 01:19:50 am by River Don »
From the FT.

Ravi Gupta, professor of clinical microbiology at Cambridge university and one of the leading scientists investigating new strains of Sars-Cov-2, told the Financial Times he had identified “worrying” cases of post-vaccination infection involving at least one of the new variants first identified in India — B.1.617.2

The B.1.617.1 variant has a particular mutation, known as E484Q, that is often associated with vaccine escape. That mutation is not present in the B.1.617.2 variant, which has spread from India to roughly 40 countries around the world, but it does have a different mutation called T478K, about which little is known.

“I’d put my money on the T487K mutation [causing breakthrough infections],” Gupta said.

https://www.ft.com/content/5f742765-61ac-4da6-8c6f-49119cd7d46c

I think that is enough of a worry to warrant caution in the UK now.
that’s my point rd you have one expert that thinks it might evade the vaccine I have shown one that possibly thinks it won’t, if you lock down because of that you will be in lockdown for the rest of your life , people in any country will not accept that because of a possibility

Whitty wasn't so emphatic as to say it won't. He says it is less likely but we need to see more data. It's what he said yesterday whilst stressing it's still at low levels.

My guess is Whitty is taking the view it's less likely because E484Q isn't present, still he doesn't discount the possibility. Gupta thinks T487k is the likely problem but they don't know yet.

He can point to examples of the vacinne being overcome in India, that's the worry.

It's got to be right to hold back and find out more before we go further. I expect that's what Sage will discuss tomorrow.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10897 on May 13, 2021, 01:43:29 am by bpoolrover »
Where is the breaking news mate as I can’t find it?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #10898 on May 13, 2021, 02:03:20 am by River Don »
IT's in the guardian live feed though I notice there is a story on the front of the telegraph now. Paywall there though.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10899 on May 13, 2021, 02:22:51 am by bpoolrover »
It says there is a possibility it could push back the removing of all the restrictions in June but that won’t be a shock to many people really

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #10900 on May 13, 2021, 08:31:34 am by drfchound »
COVID public inquiry not to start until Spring next year?

Why? Govt has given no reason.

Meanwhile, in entirely unrelated news, an expert told the BBC that it would take the inquiry at least 2, probably three years to produce a report. Meaning that it won't report on the disastrous decisions made by this Govt in 2020 until after the next election.

I get the feeling that democratic accountability is evaporating before our very eyes.

That is a very narrow minded view BST.
You should know that n inquiry of this magnitude can take years to be completed.
Do you really think that all the evidence from all sides can be cobbled together in a few months.
Look how long it took to complete other high profile inquiries, Hillsborough for example.
This go go on to the GE after the next one.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #10901 on May 13, 2021, 08:55:38 am by Metalmicky »
Mistakes in Australia across all states have made more than enough mistakes but have been lucky in some circumstances and have contained outbreaks in many more due to thorough procedures.

Those mistakes are well documented right down to genome testing to find the exact source of contact and then of course the cause, in the great majority of cases.

But we are still making these mistakes and are having to have snap lockdowns if community transmission is found on subsequent days to the original transmission.

Although risk is very low here, I had my first jab only yesterday, it's like being stuck in a hamster wheel.

What's the situation regarding funerals in Australia Sydney?  My lovely aunt Judy died last week and her funeral is on the 26th May.  Are the government allowing regular attendance at funerals or not and are folk allowed to travel freely between NSW and Queensland.  Funeral is in Mudgeeraba and they're 'hoping' to have folk travelling from Sydney, Canberra and San Remo...

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10902 on May 13, 2021, 08:56:45 am by wilts rover »

Meanwhile, in entirely unrelated news, an expert told the BBC that it would take the inquiry at least 2, probably three years to produce a report. Meaning that it won't report on the disastrous decisions made by this Govt in 2020 until after the next election.

I get the feeling that democratic accountability is evaporating before our very eyes.

You should know that n inquiry of this magnitude can take years to be completed.
Do you really think that all the evidence from all sides can be cobbled together in a few months.
Look how long it took to complete other high profile inquiries, Hillsborough for example.

Hillsborough is a good example hound - of where a government with vested interest(s) can draw out holding and reporting of an inquiry where the wrongful action of their public servants endangered the lives of the general public.

The man who 'got Brexit done' with no border in the Irish Sea, had a plan ready to go for social care in July 2019, would be introducing a bill to protect workers rights and was found to have illegaly prorogued Parliament, will have a full and open inquiry into his actions over the deaths of 120000 people - yeah right.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10903 on May 13, 2021, 08:57:49 am by wilts rover »
Slight rise in the numbers of cases in some areas for the first time in weeks, very concerning.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #10904 on May 13, 2021, 09:03:17 am by drfchound »

Hillsborough is a good example hound - of where a government with vested interest(s) can draw out holding and reporting of an inquiry where the wrongful action of their public servants endangered the lives of the general public.

The man who 'got Brexit done' with no border in the Irish Sea, had a plan ready to go for social care in July 2019, would be introducing a bill to protect workers rights and was found to have illegaly prorogued Parliament, will have a full and open inquiry into his actions over the deaths of 120000 people - yeah right.

Wilts, with respect, none of that makes it take less than an age to conduct a major inquiry like the impending coronavirus one.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10905 on May 13, 2021, 09:25:40 am by SydneyRover »

What's the situation regarding funerals in Australia Sydney?  My lovely aunt Judy died last week and her funeral is on the 26th May.  Are the government allowing regular attendance at funerals or not and are folk allowed to travel freely between NSW and Queensland.  Funeral is in Mudgeeraba and they're 'hoping' to have folk travelling from Sydney, Canberra and San Remo...

Each state has it's own rules MM, atm one can travel interstate ........ but you could be held hostage if there's a snap lockdown. Governments are moving to short sharp circuit breaker lockdowns but if you are a close contact of someone with the virus it could mean quarantine for 2 weeks, without warning of course.

The states are classifying areas as hotspots if there's an outbreak maybe a few suburbs or similar and restrict movements in and out and usually no interstate travel. It's quite safe here of course with few community transmissions but very low numbers of vaccinations. We won't be travelling anywhere interstate till this number rises, not due to the danger we just don't want to sit out quarantine for two weeks in a hotel where you more than likely have to pay for it.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10907 on May 13, 2021, 10:40:36 am by bpoolrover »
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/13/covid-variant-found-in-india-may-delay-lifting-of-england-restrictions-minister-admits
again rd I think most people are dubious that restrictions will be lifted on the 21st of June, let’s get to that stage 1st and see how it goes, if any variant is found to avoid the vaccine then yes we will have to lockdown again

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10908 on May 13, 2021, 10:44:09 am by SydneyRover »

Each state has it's own rules MM, atm one can travel interstate ........ but you could be held hostage if there's a snap lockdown. Governments are moving to short sharp circuit breaker lockdowns but if you are a close contact of someone with the virus it could mean quarantine for 2 weeks, without warning of course.

The states are classifying areas as hotspots if there's an outbreak maybe a few suburbs or similar and restrict movements in and out and usually no interstate travel. It's quite safe here of course with few community transmissions but very low numbers of vaccinations. We won't be travelling anywhere interstate till this number rises, not due to the danger we just don't want to sit out quarantine for two weeks in a hotel where you more than likely have to pay for it.

Apologies MM I should have expressed my condolences for the loss of your Aunt, SR

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #10909 on May 13, 2021, 10:59:42 am by Glyn_Wigley »
Looks like it's running amok in India  some awful scenes on the news today

There's an interesting snippet of information in the Private Eye:

Coronavirus deaths per 100,000 population in India, described within the country as 'the world's worst outbreak' - 17

Coronavirus deaths per 100,000 in the UK, where Boris Johnson's government 'did everything we could' - 191

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10910 on May 13, 2021, 11:05:20 am by bpoolrover »
Thing is in India it’s clearly obvious that the numbers they are reporting are untrue

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10911 on May 13, 2021, 11:06:39 am by wilts rover »

Wilts, with respect, none of that makes it take less than an age to conduct a major inquiry like the impending coronavirus one.

All the more reason for starting one early if you want to have one and learn lessons then hound.

I refer you to my post above.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #10912 on May 13, 2021, 11:09:51 am by Metalmicky »

Apologies MM I should have expressed my condolences for the loss of your Aunt, SR

No worries Sydney and thanks.  We were over 2 years ago and she wasn't in great shape then - having had a stroke about 4 years ago.  A lovely woman who lived life like I try to do - one day at a time, and always with a Chardy at about 6pm. 

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #10913 on May 13, 2021, 11:14:03 am by Glyn_Wigley »
Thing is in India it’s clearly obvious that the numbers they are reporting are untrue

Tell us the true ones and I'll believe you.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10914 on May 13, 2021, 11:22:18 am by bpoolrover »

Tell us the true ones and I'll believe you.
ok mate enjoy your day

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #10916 on May 13, 2021, 11:40:06 am by Bentley Bullet »
Looks like Private Eye could have compared a lot of countries with India more convincingly than the UK.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1111779/coronavirus-death-rate-europe-by-country/
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 11:42:35 am by Bentley Bullet »

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10917 on May 13, 2021, 11:54:28 am by SydneyRover »
The UK death rate/million of population is 16th worst out of 222.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #10918 on May 13, 2021, 12:13:39 pm by Bentley Bullet »
So Private Eye could have compared 15 countries more convincingly with India than the UK but chose to ignore that in the name of satire.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10919 on May 13, 2021, 12:18:47 pm by SydneyRover »
Isn't Private Eye a satirical magazine or am I missing something here?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012