Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:08:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 878661 times)

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #11730 on June 12, 2021, 08:32:08 am by no eyed deer »
Well well well, the third wave Boris predicted long ago is finally upon us. More restrictions, more freedom lost.

All this without even a vote in Westminster !!!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11731 on June 12, 2021, 11:36:37 am by ravenrover »
Relaxing of full restrictions to be delayed for up to 4 weeks. Cabinet meeting over the weekend to discuss final details.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/11/covid-cases-in-england-rising-at-fastest-rate-since-winter-wave

This has to be the right decision. Why waste what we have just gone through to risk a new variant emerging and more long covid cases.
if they do that well done to boris seems he has learned a little
Yes well done for dithering and delaying putting India on the red list

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #11732 on June 14, 2021, 02:06:47 pm by Ldr »
Upward trend of admissions here over the last fortnight but massively shallow trend compared to the 1st 3 waves.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11733 on June 14, 2021, 11:27:29 pm by SydneyRover »
''Covid-19 in the UK: How many coronavirus cases are there in my area?''

Some good info here.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51768274

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11734 on June 15, 2021, 02:04:06 am by SydneyRover »
irony writ large ..........

'Lloyd Webber’s Cinderella could go on despite lockdown extension, PM hints'''

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2021/jun/14/lloyd-webbers-cinderella-could-go-on-boris-johnson-hints

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #11735 on June 15, 2021, 06:27:00 am by Donnywolf »
OK I am not a fan of Johnson BUT I cant believe a PM of any Country would have produced such a performance as he did last night

Mrs Thatcher would have been turning in her grave and the only parallel I can remember is Boris Yeltsin and his famous conducting the Band "sketch" and we laughed AT him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9YnDirqwT4

Seriously Johnson IS supposed to be running OUR Company [sorry Country]

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11736 on June 15, 2021, 07:27:12 am by SydneyRover »
If only johnson's credibility was as good as yeltsin's aye

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #11737 on June 15, 2021, 08:08:46 am by Bentley Bullet »
 Yeltsin left office widely unpopular with the Russian population. I once asked a Russian bloke what life was like after Yeltsin, he said "I can't complain."

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11738 on June 15, 2021, 08:21:01 am by SydneyRover »
If only johnson's credibility was as good as yeltsin's aye

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #11739 on June 15, 2021, 08:39:49 am by Bentley Bullet »
Johnson is the leader of the party with the most credibility in the UK.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11740 on June 15, 2021, 09:54:57 am by SydneyRover »
Johnson is the leader of the party with the most credibility in the UK.

just a pity he's a lying f**k and incompetent is all, it's not surprising that big business give the tories 'loans' and get it back in spades and the rw press look after their own.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #11741 on June 15, 2021, 10:18:46 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Word of the Year. Hindsight.
https://mobile.twitter.com/BruceReuters/status/1404707882113904641

Gove is using it magnificently here. It is a Get Out If Jail Free card that basically excuses any f**k up because it's only with hindsight that you know for certain that you f**ked up. And as we know in this place, that sort of perverted logic falls on ears that are ready to receive and reinforce it.

So you gloss over the experts who DID, at the time, predict what would happen. And you do that supercilious grin and say "Ah, but ....hindsight."

A country that can't see through this sort of shite probably doesn't deserve any better.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #11742 on June 15, 2021, 11:56:45 am by Bentley Bullet »
Que Sera, Sera
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours to see
Unless you're BST

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11743 on June 15, 2021, 12:07:28 pm by SydneyRover »
Que Sera, Sera
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours to see
Unless you're BST

Following a few posts from you lately that are more bizarre that usual bb, I'm concerned about your mental health, hehe

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #11744 on June 15, 2021, 12:26:15 pm by River Don »
This notion that it's not possible to learn from experience is an odd one.

The government go on perpetuatng the same mistakes and it can all be absolved because, well hindsight. Each time now it is all predicted because its all happened before but hindsight.

And we already know, next time when a new more aggresive variant emerges, which is not unlikely, they will make all the same mistakes again.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11745 on June 15, 2021, 12:31:49 pm by SydneyRover »
It appears to be similar to a gamblers addiction RD, they know they're doing it and are going to lose, but can't help themselves

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #11746 on June 15, 2021, 01:20:09 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
We can't say we weren't warned. Gove is the very person who, during the Brexit campaign, said he reckoned we had had our fill of listening to experts.

of course he WOULD say that. Because expert opinion is clinical and hard to argue against. And usually concludes that right wing gut instincts are wrong. And Gove only survives as a politician if he can get people to follow their gut instincts and not actually look at facts and analysis. And when he f**ks up? Well, you could have only seen that with hindsight, so not my fault Guv.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #11747 on June 15, 2021, 05:11:50 pm by selby »
  Looking at the crowd at the Hungary v Portugal game with Hungary 3106 deaths per million  and us on 1875 per million they are not in the slightest bothered about a lock down, masks, shouting or the two metre rule.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11748 on June 15, 2021, 07:08:19 pm by wilts rover »
Word of the Year. Hindsight.
https://mobile.twitter.com/BruceReuters/status/1404707882113904641

Gove is using it magnificently here. It is a Get Out If Jail Free card that basically excuses any f**k up because it's only with hindsight that you know for certain that you f**ked up. And as we know in this place, that sort of perverted logic falls on ears that are ready to receive and reinforce it.

So you gloss over the experts who DID, at the time, predict what would happen. And you do that supercilious grin and say "Ah, but ....hindsight."

A country that can't see through this sort of shite probably doesn't deserve any better.

And why shoud there be a public inquiry into the Government's handing of the Covid pandemic - to learn the lessons of their decision making for the future?

Or they will just keep making them over and over again... That's not hindsight - its observation.

Ldr

• Forum Member

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #11750 on June 15, 2021, 11:16:53 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Flipside though Ldr. Read this.
https://mobile.twitter.com/Bob_Wachter/status/1404151502864883713

He's bang on the money. This winter will be THE most dangerous time to be unvaccinated. Because COVID will still be there. But society will be fully open. So COVID WILL zip through the unvaccinated (and a small % of the vaccinated, too). And the Delta strain (or worse to come) is much more transmissible than earlier ones. So for those who haven't taken the vaccine, even if they themselves try to be careful, are more at risk of catching it.

I have a 60 year old colleague and friend. I've worked with him for 30 years and he's pulled me out of the shit more times than I can remember. But the f**king anti-vaxxers online have got inside his head and he's refusing to take the jab. He pours out no end of bullshit in the subject, of the sort we see people pushing on here. I'm pleading with him to get the jab but he's dug his heels in. And I really fear for him when summer is gone. If he does cop it, it's the direct fault of the anti-vax bell ends. Spouting their shite with zero accountability.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #11751 on June 15, 2021, 11:26:18 pm by Ldr »
I don’t doubt you BST, I have had both doses myself but cannot under any way advocate forcing people to have vaccinations, that’s not a society I want to be a part of. People have to make their own choices. I am under no illusions that the jabs I have had protect anyone but myself as logically I could in theory contract COVID without knowing it (asymptotic) and pass it on to the vulnerable and could argue I am now MORE dangerous than if I was unvaccinated where I would be more likely show symptoms and isolate. Therefore the people who choose not to have the jabs are only responsible for their own health so let them choose.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #11752 on June 15, 2021, 11:35:19 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Ldr.
But we know that people who have had the vaccine are less likely to catch or transmit COVID. So choosing not to be vaccinated makes you more likely to be a transmitter, especially in the early stages when you are pre-symptomatic, or if you have a very mild dose.

I do understand your point but there is another principle at stake. Choosing not to be vaccinated is fine. But it comes with consequences. Society has a right (I'd say "duty") to limit your interaction with the vulnerable.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11753 on June 15, 2021, 11:40:53 pm by SydneyRover »
It's difficult, but vaccines are not 100% and a new variant may not susceptible to a vaccine. It's certainly not fair to have anti-vaxers putting the lives of those with genuine medical reasons in danger. 16 weeks should be long enough to think about it.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #11754 on June 16, 2021, 10:14:59 am by selby »
  Ldr, why not? there are lots of jobs where you have to pass medical standards to qualify to do the job, even driving a car you can be disqualified because of a medical condition.
  Serving soldiers who serve in certain areas of the world are vaccinated against certain medical threats, its just part of the job.
  Personally I would not want to work in the care industry if I was not vaccinated.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #11755 on June 16, 2021, 10:20:09 am by Ldr »
It’s a slippery slope, choice must never be denied

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #11756 on June 16, 2021, 10:41:12 am by selby »
  You don't get a choice with a driving licence, if you are medically impaired and your doctor says you are unfit to drive a vehicle your licence is suspended because you are a threat to other road users and pedestrians as well as yourself and you are disqualified from driving which has unfortunately resulted in some losing their jobs such as bus,  lorry drivers, and reps  etc. as well as people who travel to work a distance that they cannot on public transport.
  Being passed as medically capable of do the job they are employed to do is a way of life for millions of people, and was standard practice in such as the mining industry, the care industry is not being asked to do something that other workers do not have to adhere to, in fact they are catching up on a lot of industries.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11757 on June 16, 2021, 10:54:07 am by SydneyRover »
Good point selby, I would like them to be looked after as far as employment is concerned as this is something not in their original job description.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #11758 on June 16, 2021, 11:02:15 am by Ldr »
  You don't get a choice with a driving licence, if you are medically impaired and your doctor says you are unfit to drive a vehicle your licence is suspended because you are a threat to other road users and pedestrians as well as yourself and you are disqualified from driving which has unfortunately resulted in some losing their jobs such as bus,  lorry drivers, and reps  etc. as well as people who travel to work a distance that they cannot on public transport.
  Being passed as medically capable of do the job they are employed to do is a way of life for millions of people, and was standard practice in such as the mining industry, the care industry is not being asked to do something that other workers do not have to adhere to, in fact they are catching up on a lot of industries.

Non of which is forcing an invasive procedure on an individual. Syd, BST I’m surprised by you, anti facist to the core until it’s something you agree with

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11759 on June 16, 2021, 11:26:46 am by SydneyRover »
It's for the common good Ldr

TinyPortal © 2005-2012