Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:51:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 879381 times)

dickos1

• VSC Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #13170 on July 30, 2021, 11:54:19 am by dickos1 »
Disagree.
Countries that have had very little Exposure to the virus are going to be fighting this for a much longer period of time.
We’re coming out the other end slowly whereas Australia are where most of the world was over a year ago.
Add onto that their very slow vaccine roll out and it’s going to be a long time before they get to the stage of much of the world.

But of course they should never have the number of deaths and cases as us due to the massive difference in population density so just popping out like for like statistics means nothing

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #13171 on July 30, 2021, 12:23:44 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
What do you think of that Sydney?  Its the opposite direction to the fairly liberal approach the UK drove is that the right action?

Fairly liberal approach? Cmon, the British approach has been to make every decision surrounding COVID a week or two after it needed to be made. In the case of hotel isolations for foreigners it was a year late! No matter the current state of cases in Australia, we aren't even in the same league as them with regards to overall deaths or cases:

UK
Cases - 5.8m
Deaths - 130K

Australia
Cases - 33k
Deaths - 922

We can't start comparing ourselves to Austrlia on what is happening over the last month. And if anything, we should be copying what they are doing, not scoffing at them!

It's ok for both actions to be wrong isn't it? Do we really want to have troops patrolling the streets?  I don't disagree there's things they could clearly have done better which are much more intertwined with how our countries work very differently.

Interesting in your stats that the deaths to cases rate is higher in Australia too.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13172 on July 30, 2021, 12:42:06 pm by SydneyRover »
I don't think you can make an exact cases for case comparison but you can look at what happened in all cases and look for those things that could have been done better. Some are fairly obvious some aren't.

Australia banning o/s visitors had a dramatic effect but we failed in aged care homes where 90% + of deaths occurred we have failed also on vaccine roll out with something like only 13-14% fully vaccinated atm. We won't be fully vaccinated till early next year, maybe. The largest numbers of our population around 80% live in coastal cities not as densely pack as other cities of the world, but I wouldn't say that would make a massive difference as I don't have proof.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #13173 on July 30, 2021, 12:57:53 pm by dickos1 »
I’d have thought common sense would tell you that a virus would spread easier and be more vibrant in an area more populated than another.

But have a look at this
Its a good read

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0242398

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13174 on July 30, 2021, 01:02:24 pm by SydneyRover »
I’d have thought common sense would tell you that a virus would spread easier and be more vibrant in an area more populated than another.

But have a look at this
Its a good read

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0242398

It does dickos, how much difference is that?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #13175 on July 30, 2021, 01:39:30 pm by dickos1 »
A significant difference as it states in the report

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #13176 on July 30, 2021, 01:40:57 pm by River Don »
ONS shows infections are actually still rising.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9843691/Covid-infection-rates-England-going-random-testing-reveals.html

It seems the daily figures have been misleading.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #13177 on July 30, 2021, 02:24:25 pm by Axholme Lion »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9843691/Covid-infection-rates-England-going-random-testing-reveals.html

Football's back next week! Miiiiii

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #13178 on July 30, 2021, 02:33:50 pm by River Don »

Football's back next week! Miiiiii

Miiii-wawl. And?

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #13179 on July 30, 2021, 02:50:11 pm by Axholme Lion »
We're back to normal and Johnny Foreigner is still fannying around. People need to accept they have to live with Covid otherwise there's no life at all. Good luck to all those staying at home. I've stuck to all the rules for over a year and had a vaccination i didn't really want. There's risks involved in every aspect of living.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #13180 on July 30, 2021, 02:57:03 pm by River Don »
I have a mate who is living with it. He's double jabbed and has just been diagnosed with it.

For the third time!

It seems living with it might involve feeling very poorly quite often.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #13181 on July 30, 2021, 03:30:53 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Actually it's not.  Think logically, the slowdown in new cases is just that. But they build on top of old cases.  It can be weeks and months before it's out of your system and that's what the ONS tests (I'm on the scheme and have my own results to prove that).

Therefore you could have 500k cases plus 200k new ones one week equaling 700k. Next week 100k lose the virus but 150k new ones so the total becomes 750k.

In essence one shows who has it the other view who newly has it.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #13182 on July 30, 2021, 03:31:21 pm by Axholme Lion »
I have a mate who is living with it. He's double jabbed and has just been diagnosed with it.

For the third time!

That's like we live with flu though. I am under no illusion that i will probably get it, however i have had my jab will have to take my chance. It's been deemed safe for me to be at work for over a year so by the same token it should be safe to get my life back.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #13183 on July 30, 2021, 05:42:12 pm by scawsby steve »

For the third time!

What's the alternative, RD?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13184 on July 31, 2021, 03:44:46 am by SydneyRover »
This is what the scientists are saying about the current situation

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-latest-data-from-the-ons-covid-19-infection-survey-7/

''Dr Simon Clarke, Associate Professor in Cellular Microbiology at the University of Reading, said:

“These ONS data are for the week ending 24 July, a period we were led to believe of declining infections. We’ve seen infections down, up, and with these ONS data, up again. Overall, we are seeing chaotic datasets that reflect a lot of different things happening at the same time. It’s important to remember that different data sets report different things.  Daily infection numbers rely largely on self-reporting, but these ONS data use large scale sampling, across the country and in an unbiased way, giving us a more reliable indication of the considerable numbers of infections''

That is something I didn't quite grasp (control yourselves chipmonks)

There are a few more reports here:

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-latest-data-from-the-ons-covid-19-infection-survey-7/

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13185 on July 31, 2021, 05:04:19 am by SydneyRover »
Thank goodness the football starts next weekend.

Agreed, even BST doesn’t post on the off topic stuff just now.
That might be because of the fall in Covid infections though.

Is this one of those types of posts you hate hound?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #13186 on July 31, 2021, 07:34:56 am by drfchound »
Thank goodness the football starts next weekend.

Agreed, even BST doesn’t post on the off topic stuff just now.
That might be because of the fall in Covid infections though.

Is this one of those types of posts you hate hound?

No, your posts never bother me.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #13187 on July 31, 2021, 07:45:43 am by dickos1 »
This is what the scientists are saying about the current situation

''Dr Simon Clarke, Associate Professor in Cellular Microbiology at the University of Reading, said:

“These ONS data are for the week ending 24 July, a period we were led to believe of declining infections. We’ve seen infections down, up, and with these ONS data, up again. Overall, we are seeing chaotic datasets that reflect a lot of different things happening at the same time. It’s important to remember that different data sets report different things.  Daily infection numbers rely largely on self-reporting, but these ONS data use large scale sampling, across the country and in an unbiased way, giving us a more reliable indication of the considerable numbers of infections''

That is something I didn't quite grasp (control yourselves chipmonks)

There are a few more reports here:

You just ignoring the post from BFYP?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13188 on July 31, 2021, 08:23:09 am by SydneyRover »
It's a bit early dickos even for you?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #13189 on July 31, 2021, 08:55:46 am by dickos1 »

Well are you?
You’ve just ignored everything in his logical post

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13190 on July 31, 2021, 09:25:42 am by SydneyRover »

It's hard to know unless you advise of which post dickos, I don't deliberately ignore anyone, well maybe hound occasionally as I just have to read yours.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #13191 on July 31, 2021, 11:38:08 am by dickos1 »

It's hard to know unless you advise of which post dickos, I don't deliberately ignore anyone, well maybe hound occasionally as I just have to read yours.

I’ve told you which post,
The one by BFYP, that gives sensible reasons and conclusions
Which you’ve chosen to ignore

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13192 on July 31, 2021, 11:56:34 am by SydneyRover »

You look much better, have you lost weight?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #13193 on July 31, 2021, 11:58:51 am by dickos1 »

You look much better, have you lost weight?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #13194 on July 31, 2021, 11:24:10 pm by selby »
  I think that Axholme Lion deserves the biggest peace  time award this country can bestow on anyone, starting this thread in 2020 he tied up Syd Billy and the rest of the disciples along with the Brexit thread and saved the world by getting Syd to concentrate all his energies trying to convert the unconvertable the silly sod still thinks he has a chance with.
 Well done AL the world solutes you 

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13195 on August 01, 2021, 12:24:07 am by SydneyRover »
What has become apparent with covid is it will be present in the community for a long time and maybe always, the kicker is once masks are gone and everyone is back to normal it won't be an either or with flu and covid in winter it will be both. Take care everyone.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13196 on August 01, 2021, 02:59:38 am by SydneyRover »

That could of course relate to any post at any time, post have numbers try using them for clarity, DailyMail links I can't/don't open

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #13197 on August 01, 2021, 08:16:41 am by drfchound »
It is blatantly obvious which post by bfyp that Dickos was referring to.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13198 on August 01, 2021, 09:41:16 am by SydneyRover »
It is blatantly obvious which post by bfyp that Dickos was referring to.

Is this post meant for me hound?

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13199 on August 01, 2021, 10:20:48 am by wilts rover »
Ahh those happy clapper Tory apolgists who think the Vote Leave government, in control of the budget, policy and strategy for one of the most advanced health services in the world, have done well at looking after the British public during covid.

Give the rose tinted specs a clean lads. In fact don't bother, just throw them in the bin - then jump in with them.

Total excess deaths per country (number of deaths above avergae expected in the time period) from beginning of pandemic:

https://www.ft.com/content/a2901ce8-5eb7-4633-b89c-cbdf5b386938

Fascinating how most of the worst hit are/were countries led by a right-wing government, who prioritised the wealth of their backers/supports over the health of their wider population. (Peru being the latest to follow the USA and kick their's out).

TinyPortal © 2005-2012