Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 01:29:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 872667 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #6360 on August 16, 2020, 10:31:22 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
f**k me. Now you're just being ignorant.

Good night.

No. I specifically asked how people who hadn't caught the virus could develop T-cell immunity.

You posted videos that don't mention that.

If you're not going to take this seriously, don't get the f**king arse in when someone points out that you're not taking it seriously.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #6361 on August 16, 2020, 10:35:50 pm by Nudga »
I'd rather listen to Dr Ron Daniels who is  likely to hold conversations with experts or at least garner expert opinion than listen to an echo chamber on a football forum.

And touché on the insults. Must have hit a nerve.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #6362 on August 16, 2020, 10:38:09 pm by Nudga »
https://twitter.com/ProfKarolSikora/status/1281181037071085575?s=19

Apologies about T cells, I quoted the wrong professor

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6363 on August 16, 2020, 10:58:19 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
https://twitter.com/ProfKarolSikora/status/1281181037071085575?s=19

Apologies about T cells, I quoted the wrong professor

Thanks for that. I'll have a look at the issue in detail when I get a moment.

First reaction is that it looks like I retesting but very speculative research, with the clearest evidence of T-cell immunity in people who haven't had CV-19 coming from those who survived SARS. If that's the case, it's academically interesting, but tiny in terms of practical effect.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #6365 on August 17, 2020, 08:50:19 am by Nudga »
1.3 million in Berlin two weeks ago, thousands in Madrid this weekend.

MSM will blame anti lockdown protests on any rise in cases but not a peep with blm protests.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #6366 on August 17, 2020, 09:24:02 am by Metalmicky »
BTW.... I didn't post to show any solidarity to anti mask protesters.... I really can't see the issue with donning a face mask when entering public areas.  If the medical experts suggest that this is the best course of action, I would suggest that it is advisable to adhere. I can't see why anyone should have a problem with it...... baffling.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #6367 on August 17, 2020, 09:30:46 am by Filo »
BTW.... I didn't post to show any solidarity to anti mask protesters.... I really can't see the issue with donning a face mask when entering public areas.  If the medical experts suggest that this is the best course of action, I would suggest that it is advisable to adhere. I can't see why anyone should have a problem with it...... baffling.

The problems have been caused because wearing a face mask has only been endorsed by the Government recently, in the early days when many were suggesting face masks the Government dismissed the idea of wearing them. Mixed messages cause confusion and apathy

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #6368 on August 17, 2020, 09:34:50 am by Nudga »

The medical experts said in April that the public wearing masks had no benefits, Jenny Harries, Chris Whitty, Anthony Fauci, WHO. The reason being that people would be faffing about with them constantly, putting them in hand bags or pockets and reusing them, also that surgeons wear them to stop bacteria potentially infecting open wounds.
Then when the curve was flattened, the science changed and it became mandatory.
I don't understand what they've learned about masks in the last 20 years that changed so dramatically in a few weeks.
Most people didn't wear one until someone told them too..

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6369 on August 17, 2020, 09:35:56 am by BillyStubbsTears »

MM
Unfortunately, mask wearing or not has become politicised. It's seen as a signifier of your political stance, especially on the far right. The issue is of course that mask wearing doesn't really protect the wearer that much. It protects people around the wearer. And so wearing masks is doing a little bit for the common good. The extreme Govt sceptics and libertarians kick out against that because they insist on having the right not to be told what to do.

Even if that kills people.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #6370 on August 17, 2020, 09:42:33 am by Nudga »
Nothing more than a social compliance test.
Well done, you've passed with flying colours.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #6371 on August 17, 2020, 09:42:53 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Frankly the science says it makes a pretty small difference biologically and the evidence is sketchy.

But if it makes an anxious person feel more comfortable it's worth wearing one.  I technically don't have to wear one if I don't want to, but whilst it's a bit unpleasant, I'll do it for a short time.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6372 on August 17, 2020, 09:45:14 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Nudga.

I don't expect you to believe any of this because you want to confirm your conspiracies, but there are at least two reasons why sensible policy would change with time on this subject.

1) Masks are not a 100% panacea. They help but they do not provide a cast iron defence.

Back in late March when there were 4 million people in the UK infect with COVID, cases were doubling every 3-4 days and we were right in the edge of the abyss, masks weren't going to save us. The only solution was hard lockdown. Policymakers could not afford to give the impression that folk would be ok going about their everyday business with a mask on, because if they had done, we'd have had more Britons die in the Spring than died in the whole of WWII. They had to emphasise lockdown.

2) Masks ARE vital for health workers who are on the front line. Policymakers could not afford to risk the public snaffling up limited stores and leaving medics unprotected.

For both those reasons, masks were downplayed then. Neither of those arguments now apply. And since masks DO make a contribution to allowing us to open up society and still control the virus, it is now suitable to mandate them.

Anyone deliberately choosing not to wear one is indulging their ignorance and putting other people at risk.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6373 on August 17, 2020, 09:46:53 am by BillyStubbsTears »
These surgeons who wear masks when they are opening up someone's chest.

Snowflakes, just doing what they are told in a big social compliance test.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #6374 on August 17, 2020, 09:50:06 am by Nudga »
These surgeons who wear masks when they are opening up someone's chest.

Snowflakes, just doing what they are told in a big social compliance test.

Silly Billy, surgeons DO need them, never said that they didn't.
Obviously to stop sweat, snot and anything else dropping into an open wound.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6375 on August 17, 2020, 09:51:44 am by BillyStubbsTears »
And those nurses assisting in the operating theatre, who go nowhere near the patient?

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #6376 on August 17, 2020, 09:57:51 am by Metalmicky »
Not sure why everyone is quoting my post to make their points.....?   It's not as if I said anything contentious..

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6377 on August 17, 2020, 10:00:01 am by BillyStubbsTears »
You raised an issue MM. Folk are expanding on that. Kind of how discussions work isn't it?

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #6378 on August 17, 2020, 10:01:19 am by Nudga »
And those nurses assisting in the operating theatre, who go nowhere near the patient?

Sterile environment. Nurses pass equipment etc etc

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #6379 on August 17, 2020, 10:02:30 am by Metalmicky »
Glad to see that the students protesting yesterday had the good sense to wear masks...

Or at least most of them...

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #6380 on August 17, 2020, 10:08:01 am by Metalmicky »
You raised an issue MM. Folk are expanding on that. Kind of how discussions work isn't it?

True - but perhaps quote the post that raised the issue and not a follow up post...?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #6381 on August 17, 2020, 10:11:32 am by Filo »
So family S-T has been caught up in the quarantine issue. We've come to Italy to see my wife's grandmother for possibly the last time, and, with my wife being next of kin, to deal with a pile of admin connected with selling her house, as well as the house clearing. We chose to drive over as we reckoned that was safer than flying, but with the quarantine list now including France, Belgium and Holland,there's no way of getting back that avoids us having to do 14 days home quarantine when we get back.

Hey-ho. Chance you take. No arguments from me.

It's struck me that we in the UK are currently managing things quite well. The new outbreaks in Spain, France, Belgium and Netherlands are looking quite bad and at the side of them, we are doing pretty well. Not as well as places like here in Italy where they have screwed the numbers down and are keeping them down, but on a par with places like Germany for example. Here's hoping we continue to keep a lid on it. I'll be doing my little bit while climbing the walls at home for the last two weeks of August.

It seems if you drive through Countries that are quarantined and catch a ferry you are liable to quarantine on return because you will have had contact at the port over there.However if you return via euro tunnel and follow their embarkation process you will not be liable to quarantine as you will not have had direct contact at that port

In both cases you are not allowed to stop and have meals while transiting a Country

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6382 on August 17, 2020, 10:26:50 am by BillyStubbsTears »

Sterile environment. Nurses pass equipment etc etc

Because...?

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #6383 on August 17, 2020, 10:43:57 am by Nudga »
To prevent BACTERIAL INFECTION.
See Jenny Harries and Chris Whitty comments.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6384 on August 17, 2020, 04:33:55 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Excellent response Nudga. You're getting good at this!

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #6385 on August 17, 2020, 05:56:36 pm by Nudga »
Excellent response Nudga. You're getting good at this!

Ah, is this the grown ups discussion you invited me to?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6386 on August 17, 2020, 06:08:09 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Aye. You've beat me hands down there.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #6387 on August 18, 2020, 01:58:18 pm by Metalmicky »
I see things are easing in Wuhan....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-53816511

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #6388 on August 18, 2020, 06:18:01 pm by tommy toes »
I can understand that people are getting battle fatigue with this virus, but all the signs are that it has not gone away at all.

It's still here and as dangerous as ever

The recent spikes in densely populated areas as lockdown has been eased are very worrying and when you think of what we are all doing as second nature now, wearing masks, social distancing, isolating those who've been near it, hand sanitising umpteen times a day when going in each shop etc.
I shudder to think what would happen if we went back to how things were pre Covid as some are now advocating.
It would be carnage.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #6389 on August 19, 2020, 04:56:23 pm by EasyforDennis »
I still find it incredible that this virus can tell the difference between supermarket/shop staff and customers.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012