Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:49:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 877477 times)

redarmy82

• Forum Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #9720 on January 26, 2021, 09:15:54 am by redarmy82 »
Reading that the EU aren't going to authorise the Oxford one for use, with Germany saying it is only 8% effective and they won't recognise it is a genuine vaccine if immunity passports are required in the future.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9721 on January 26, 2021, 09:20:41 am by SydneyRover »
Where's the claim coming from RA, who exactly is making it?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #9722 on January 26, 2021, 09:34:59 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #9723 on January 26, 2021, 09:37:33 am by Filo »
It appears that the problem the EU have is from production from within the EU, so the EU health minister is trying to deflect attention from that. From what I understand the Oxford jab is being supplied at cost, unlike the other jabs, are the EU playing Vaccine Nationalism?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9724 on January 26, 2021, 09:47:31 am by SydneyRover »
The report doesn;t give any figures and talks about not being that effective for those over 65, I'd be waiting to see what scientists say themselves rather than 'sources' to a tabloid.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #9725 on January 26, 2021, 10:37:36 am by Metalmicky »
I'm sure that the (all-seeing) Covid Connoisseurs on here will already be aware; however, for those other mortals who aren't as well informed, I thought this may be of interest......

Netherlands shaken by third night of riots over Covid curfew

About 150 anti-lockdown protesters arrested after shops looted and cars set alight in several towns and cities

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/26/netherlands-third-night-riots-covid-curfew-lockdown-protesters
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 10:40:39 am by Metalmicky »

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #9726 on January 26, 2021, 10:40:27 am by redarmy82 »
I'm sure that the (all-seeing) Covid Connoisseurs on here will already be aware; however, for those other mortals who aren't as well informed, I thought this may be of interest......

About 150 anti-lockdown protesters arrested after shops looted and cars set alight in several towns and cities[/i]

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/26/netherlands-third-night-riots-covid-curfew-lockdown-protesters

And the longer this goes on, the longer the economy is decimated, businesses failing, people losing their jobs, income, homes, not being able to feed their families, this type of incident will only increase.

• VSC Member
« Reply #9727 on January 26, 2021, 11:58:12 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »

About 150 anti-lockdown protesters arrested after shops looted and cars set alight in several towns and cities

Exactly what my previous posts alluded to. People's patience will run out very soon.  Big risk this kind of thing will spread.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9728 on January 26, 2021, 01:01:04 pm by ravenrover »
And looking at the pictures they seem to be teenagers and early 20s going on to loot supermarkets so is it really anti covid or just restless young people who think they are immune?

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
« Reply #9729 on January 26, 2021, 01:15:05 pm by no eyed deer »
And looking at the pictures they seem to be teenagers and early 20s going on to loot supermarkets so is it really anti covid or just restless young people who think they are immune?

If you were anti covid could you also think you are immune ?.

People especially the young have had enough.

Enough of governments passing laws, restricting freedom without being held accountable.

Even after covid the future looks grim.

The next elections will show how the population really thinks. Unless the cancel them.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #9730 on January 26, 2021, 01:29:42 pm by drfchound »
Do you deny you have said that hound?

Yes. I deny saying that I am only here for balance.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #9731 on January 26, 2021, 03:01:53 pm by i_ateallthepies »

Yes. I deny saying that I am only here for balance ballast.

Corrected for you, Hound.  Bloody predictive text eh?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #9732 on January 26, 2021, 04:25:50 pm by drfchound »

Yes. I deny saying that I am only here for balance ballast.

Corrected for you, Hound.  Bloody predictive text eh?

That is actually quite funny. 

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #9733 on January 26, 2021, 06:04:45 pm by i_ateallthepies »
 ;) :kiss:

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9734 on January 27, 2021, 12:53:18 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Here's a logic problem for you.

Explain how these two facts can co-exist in the same universe.

1) The UK has the 4th highest COVID death rate in the world, behind San Marino, Slovenia and Belgium.

2) Johnson said yesterday "We truly did everything we could" to fight the virus.

Personally, I'm struggling.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #9735 on January 27, 2021, 02:20:33 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Were some factors outside the governments control?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55757790

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #9736 on January 27, 2021, 02:28:37 pm by albie »
Yes, some factors are outside the control of government.

The question is were those factors specific to the UK, or did other countries deal better with the hand they had been dealt.
Take NZ as a case in point.

The big issue is how the decisions made by Johnson and Co served to suppress, or magnify, the disease management and response.
The answer is very clear.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #9737 on January 27, 2021, 02:34:00 pm by Bentley Bullet »
New Zealand is hardly the global hub that the UK is. Neither can it be compared in numbers an density of population.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9738 on January 27, 2021, 02:36:41 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Of course some factors were outside Govt control.

What clearly wasn't outside their control was the decision of when to impose lockdowns. We did it late in March, not at all in September and late in January. That is by some long distance the reason why we have the fourth worst death rate in the world. There is simply no arguing with that. It is clear and definitive from the data on when deaths happened. And none of this is hindsight. It was all predicted in advance, while Govt was delaying the inevitable.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #9739 on January 27, 2021, 02:38:04 pm by River Don »
As suspected, Johnson announces desire to open schools on March 8 when the 4 most vulnerable groups have been vaccinated.

He didn't say if school staff would be inoculated by that date. For me that should be a minimum before schools open fully again.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 02:52:57 pm by River Don »

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #9740 on January 27, 2021, 02:40:53 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Of course some factors were outside Govt control.

What clearly wasn't outside their control was the decision of when to impose lockdowns. We did it late in March, not at all in September and late in January. That is by some long distance the reason why we have the fourth worst death rate in the world. There is simply no arguing with that. It is clear and definitive from the data on when deaths happened. And none of this is hindsight. It was all predicted in advance, while Govt was delaying the inevitable.
So, we've established that some factors were out of the government's control. That's progress. What are those factors and why have you been reluctant to mention them before?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #9741 on January 27, 2021, 02:43:10 pm by River Don »
The emergence of a new more transmissible varient was out of the government's control BB.

The timing of lock downs was well within their control.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9742 on January 27, 2021, 02:44:19 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Oh aye. And the line from Govt is clearly now that we have been unlucky in getting the new variant.

Which is true in itself. But the question is, how did we manage it?

We released the mini-lockdown at the start of December, even though it was already clear that something was going seriously wrong, with new cases going up before the mini-lockdown ended. Within a week or two, we had a good idea that this was due to the new variant. But we didn't do the inevitable and impose a full lockdown until the first week of the New Year. In that period, new cases QUADRUPLED. And, inevitably, deaths have quadrupled. That re-opening in December has probably cost 20,000 lives already and another 20,000 to come over the next couple of months.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9743 on January 27, 2021, 02:45:48 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I have spoken before about us being unfortunate to get the new variant and how you cannot blame the Govt for that. If you haven't seen that BB, there's not much I can do about that. Maybe you should pay more attention before dicking about and provoking arguments.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #9744 on January 27, 2021, 02:50:18 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Offensive attitude already! That's quick even for your standards. Now, I assume you've read the article I linked, do you agree with other factors that may have contributed to the large numbers of deaths?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9745 on January 27, 2021, 02:57:11 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I think the appropriate answer there BB was "Sorry about that. No, I hadn't seen you say that before so there was no need for my usual smart-arse dicking about and I apologise if you thought I was, as usual, looking for a row."

• VSC Member
« Reply #9746 on January 27, 2021, 03:00:15 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
As suspected, Johnson announces desire to open schools on March 8 when the 4 most vulnerable groups have been vaccinated.

He didn't say if school staff would be inoculated by that date. For me that should be a minimum before schools open fully again.

I see labour have called for this.  It's follow the science followed by don't follow the science.

Fact is we can't all get a vaccine quickly and we should protect the most vulnerable like we do with other vaccines.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #9747 on January 27, 2021, 03:00:51 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I don't understand BST. Was that a "yes" or a "no"?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9748 on January 27, 2021, 03:08:04 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Bit busy for a full response right now. Will do so later.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #9749 on January 27, 2021, 03:08:23 pm by River Don »

I see labour have called for this.  It's follow the science followed by don't follow the science.

Fact is we can't all get a vaccine quickly and we should protect the most vulnerable like we do with other vaccines.

If they intend to open schools ASAP,  then there is very good reason to prioritise school staff for vaccination. I'd say they are first on the list after NHS staff.

However this would put opening schools up back another few weeks. So they will let teachers take the risk, in the hope they will have enough hospital beds to cope.

I expect teachers unions will already be reacting to this proposal.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012