Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:44:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 860429 times)

belton rover

• Forum Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #10620 on April 01, 2021, 06:17:13 pm by belton rover »
He strikes me as someone who would be a good leader. No one else, at the moment, does.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10621 on April 01, 2021, 06:34:39 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Hound.

I did say he might, about a year ago. I was highly impressed with him putting ideology on the shelf when the crisis hit, and going back to the classic economics that he'd spent his previous life castigating.

I thought that might be the sign of a new era of evidence-based politics. The sort of thing we had in the 1940s-1970s where both parties worked with economic thinking that was well founded in both theory and practice, and we had decent economic growth, fairly spread through the population.

I'd welcome a Tory leader who took that approach and I thought I saw that in Sunak a year ago.

He's disabused me of that optimism since. He's lied (or shown breathtaking ignorance) in public about paying down the debt. He's returned to the voodoo economics of prioritising deficit reduction over the sort of growth we need to get out of this crisis. And it's pretty clear that he was responsible for wheeling in a bunch of egotistical crank left-field "experts" to convince Johnson to ignore SAGE last Autumn.

As THE greatest economist of the past hundred years said, "when the facts change, I change my mind: what do YOU do sir?"

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #10622 on April 02, 2021, 10:27:38 am by selby »
  Looks like the UK must be doing well compared to the rest of Europe as this thread seams to be losing momentum., could it be the knives are being put away to give Mutie and Macron some slack.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10623 on April 02, 2021, 10:34:13 am by wilts rover »
He strikes me as someone who would be a good leader. No one else, at the moment, does.

Yes but why? His greatest achievement in government so far is giving billions of taxpayers money away to businesses with very little checks on who they are and how worthy they are to benefit - whilst leaving thousands of small business people without support and refusing to raise the lowest sick pay in Europe to support workers staying at home when sick in a pandemic. Whay do you see that I am missing?

I think you have fallen for his pr and self-promotion (which to be fair he is extremly good at) but if you can convince me otherwise I am prepared to listen.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10624 on April 02, 2021, 10:35:45 am by wilts rover »
People will catch covid for £500 says this Tory MP:

https://twitter.com/MetroMayorSteve/status/1377748102883508226

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10625 on April 02, 2021, 11:01:26 am by BillyStubbsTears »
He's playing to a constituency Wilts. There's a thread of right-wing political belief that is seeped in a nasty, ignorant misanthropy. A suspiciousness that loads of people (not them and their friend and family of course) are feckless scroungers.

I said last week I've just finished re-reading The Road to Wigan Pier. 85 years ago, Orwell was vitriolic in his criticism of exactly that ignorant misanthropy. Comfortable people with no comprehension of what the Great Depression had done to the working class, but full of opinions about the scroungers who didn't want to do an honest day's work. That idiot on Newsnight is playing to the equivalent attitudes today.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10626 on April 02, 2021, 12:05:47 pm by belton rover »
I don’t want to convince you of anything, Wilts. It’s  okay to disagree. It doesn’t mean one of us is right and the other is wrong. And it doesn’t mean that the only result is for one of us to come around to the other’s way of thinking.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #10627 on April 02, 2021, 12:20:18 pm by drfchound »

Yes but why? His greatest achievement in government so far is giving billions of taxpayers money away to businesses with very little checks on who they are and how worthy they are to benefit - whilst leaving thousands of small business people without support and refusing to raise the lowest sick pay in Europe to support workers staying at home when sick in a pandemic. Whay do you see that I am missing?

I think you have fallen for his pr and self-promotion (which to be fair he is extremly good at) but if you can convince me otherwise I am prepared to listen.

But wilts, surely you can remember Sunak being praised by a poster on here for his support of businesses.
The furlough scheme was, quite rightly, being given lots of praise.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10628 on April 02, 2021, 12:28:36 pm by SydneyRover »
But surely hound you have read the explanation from the poster you continually have a go at and lose, I thought you'd have given up by now  :)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #10629 on April 02, 2021, 01:35:31 pm by drfchound »
I usually ignore your jibes these days SR but I have to say that the poster in question changed his mind with the benefit of hindsight which is often the case.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10630 on April 02, 2021, 05:25:19 pm by ravenrover »
I wonder if the natives are getting restless, not heard much from both Gove and Sunak. Wonder if the are sharpening their knives?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10631 on April 02, 2021, 06:01:44 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Hound.

I changed my mind because the evidence changed. How was I supposed to know a year ago what policy mistakes and economically illiterate comments Sunak was going to make in the next 12 months.

Act your age and stop trying to provoke unnecessary arguments.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #10632 on April 02, 2021, 06:03:34 pm by drfchound »
Hound.

I changed my mind because the evidence changed. How was I supposed to know a year ago what policy mistakes and economically illiterate comments Sunak was going to make in the next 12 months.

Act your age and stop trying to provoke unnecessary arguments.

No need for the insult bst.
Of course you changed your mind when the evidence changed.
Isn’t that with the benefit of hindsight, which is what I said.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10633 on April 02, 2021, 06:35:16 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
My apologies if I misunderstood you Hound. I assumed you were using "hindsight" in the sense that it has frequently been used by supporters of the Government recently to criticise critics.

If I was wrong, and you were using it to mean "sensibly changing an opinion on reflection of facts changing in a way that any grown up ought to" then I apologise wholeheartedly for misreading your intention.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #10634 on April 02, 2021, 07:13:04 pm by drfchound »
Accepted bst.
My original comment to wilts was a statement of fact.
Sydney poked his nose in so I felt it necessary to add my hindsight comment which was also a truth.
I was surprised that you came back aggressively but to be honest it has become normal on the forum from lots of posters.
That isn’t a dig at you by the way.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10635 on April 02, 2021, 08:15:56 pm by wilts rover »

But wilts, surely you can remember Sunak being praised by a poster on here for his support of businesses.
The furlough scheme was, quite rightly, being given lots of praise.

It was - but it was also coming under criticism from those left out of it. Furthermore we know now more on where the money went. And the worst sick pay in Europe? And money for roads and bombs but not for nurses?

The more I see of Sunak the lesss impressed I am by him. His priorites are with his tax exile, hedge fund friends/colleagues and other Tory cronies and less with ordinary workers and pensioners. But if you like him, good luck.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10636 on April 02, 2021, 08:18:06 pm by wilts rover »
I don’t want to convince you of anything, Wilts. It’s  okay to disagree. It doesn’t mean one of us is right and the other is wrong. And it doesn’t mean that the only result is for one of us to come around to the other’s way of thinking.

Yes that's fair enough Belton. Providing we can agree or disagree civily then there's no problem and that's what the forum is for.

Anything to take our mind off some awfull football at the moment is very welcolme.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10637 on April 02, 2021, 09:10:09 pm by SydneyRover »
Accepted bst.
Sydney poked his nose in so I felt it necessary to add my hindsight comment which was also a truth.
I was surprised that you came back aggressively but to be honest it has become normal on the forum from lots of posters.

When you keep doing the same thing expecting a different result it's time for you to give up

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #10638 on April 02, 2021, 09:29:25 pm by drfchound »
Accepted bst.

When you keep doing the same thing expecting a different result it's time for you to give up

Riddle?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10639 on April 02, 2021, 09:34:37 pm by SydneyRover »
only to you hound

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10640 on April 02, 2021, 09:42:46 pm by SydneyRover »
you're quite unembarrassable aye hound

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10641 on April 02, 2021, 09:48:24 pm by SydneyRover »
not sure I can help you further hound

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10642 on April 02, 2021, 10:08:03 pm by wilts rover »
And one further post on Sunak - tomorrows Yorkshire Post, Crises facing 3m excluded from support - many struggling to pay for food and heating:

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1378078141495840772

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10643 on April 02, 2021, 10:22:18 pm by SydneyRover »
''South Tyneside men arrested as drugs gang 'dismantled'''

I thought the government were going to be manufacturing vaccines up there.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-56616330

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10644 on April 03, 2021, 04:15:41 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
So the re-writing of history to absolve the Govt of blame goes on apace.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GMB/status/1372091548012326915

Apparently, in mid-March last year, we (i.e. everyone) had no idea how infectious and deadly COVID was. Which is very odd, because in mid-March last year, we knew beyond doubt that, unmitigated, cases were doubling every 3-4 days, and 6 weeks before, epidemiologists had been on R4 telling us to expect an infection fatality rate of maybe 1%, which is pretty much what has happened.

Expect more of this "we couldn't have known" nonsense as memories fade and arses are covered. Your choice if you accept being lied to like this.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10645 on April 03, 2021, 05:26:58 pm by wilts rover »
Post No

Apparently, in mid-March last year, we (i.e. everyone) had no idea how infectious and deadly COVID was. Which is very odd, because in mid-March last year, we knew beyond doubt that, unmitigated, cases were doubling every 3-4 days, and 6 weeks before, epidemiologists had been on R4 telling us to expect an infection fatality rate of maybe 1%, which is pretty much what has happened.

Expect more of this "we couldn't have known" nonsense as memories fade and arses are covered. Your choice if you accept being lied to like this.

Post No1 in this thread dates from January 24th. If only they had thought to look on here...

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #10646 on April 03, 2021, 06:18:43 pm by Filo »
Post No

Post No1 in this thread dates from January 24th. If only they had thought to look on here...

The first page of this thread makes interesting reading, 5 weeks before the Government lifted a finger

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10647 on April 03, 2021, 10:20:48 pm by wilts rover »

I did think you were over exaggering here BST. But:

Front page of tomorrows Independent - Conservative Peer (and Director at the Foreign Office) denies pandemic exists

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1378449605474533376

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10648 on April 03, 2021, 11:08:55 pm by SydneyRover »
''Morrissey is the author of a book, A Good Time to be a Girl (Harper Collins, 2018). The blurb runs: "In A Good Time to be a Girl, Helena Morrissey sets out how we might achieve the next big breakthrough towards a truly inclusive modern society. Drawing on her experience as a City CEO, mother of nine, and founder of the influential 30% Club which campaigns for gender-balanced UK company boards, her manifesto for new ways of working, living, loving and raising families is for everyone, not just women. Making a powerful case for diversity and difference in any workplace, she shows how, together, we can develop smarter thinking and broader definitions of success.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helena_Morrissey,_Baroness_Morrissey

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10649 on April 05, 2021, 01:09:45 pm by SydneyRover »
Just watching a doc about viruses in general, I didn't know that 50m died in a single year from Spanish flu.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012