Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:32:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 860405 times)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #10680 on April 08, 2021, 08:05:41 pm by scawsby steve »
Interesting stat on the news tonight re AZ and blood clots. You are as likely to die from an AZ related clot as you are to be killed on a 250 mile car trip or a long haul flight.

Some of those stats are variable by age though.
As for being killed on a 250 mile car journey, it equates to one person in a million which is the same odds a someone being struck by lightning.
Compare that risk against say people aged 55 dying from Coronavirus which is 800 in a million.
For someone aged 25 the potential is for 23 people in a million to die.
Clearly the odds of dying from a blood clot after having the AZ vaccine are much less.

I don't think the reference to the 250 mile car trip is anything to do with being killed in an accident, it's to do with developing deep vein thrombosis blood clots, as with a long haul flight.

Having said that SS, the point still stands about having the jab being safer than not doing so.

Yes, I totally agree; and in actual fact, it was the AZ vaccine that I had.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #10681 on April 08, 2021, 08:27:43 pm by selby »
When you look at the numbers for the UK something is working and in the US, and not working in the EU in many of the member countries.
   Whatever the vaccine available it is obviously a numbers game the more the merrier.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 11:33:11 pm by selby »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10682 on April 08, 2021, 09:08:22 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Interesting stat on the news tonight re AZ and blood clots. You are as likely to die from an AZ related clot as you are to be killed on a 250 mile car trip or a long haul flight.

I assume this was meant humourously, but given the fervid state of debate on this topic, it might be worth you clarifying that.

I just googled the question BST.
plenty of information came up.
The bbc news page has a good article.

Then you'll know that what NR said is factually wrong and what SS said is the actual story.

Right?

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10683 on April 09, 2021, 03:51:08 pm by wilts rover »
What are the rules on meeting people for a drink indoors in a cafe, anyone know?

Because your Prime Minister doesn't - Johnson and the local MP with local business people in a cafe in Truro on Wednesday. Six people, all from different households, no masks and no social distancing:

https://twitter.com/SonicDalek/status/1380120444234252289

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10684 on April 09, 2021, 04:26:42 pm by ravenrover »
Aaah but it will have been a business/work meeting surely. Our PM wouldn't flout the rules now even if he understood them ....... would he?

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10685 on April 09, 2021, 04:43:12 pm by bpoolrover »
What are the rules on meeting people for a drink indoors in a cafe, anyone know?

Because your Prime Minister doesn't - Johnson and the local MP with local business people in a cafe in Truro on Wednesday. Six people, all from different households, no masks and no social distancing:

do you think he is breaking rules wilts?

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10686 on April 09, 2021, 06:08:15 pm by bpoolrover »
The numbers are strange the r number is near to 1 in some places yet where I am in some places there has been nil confirmed cases all week

auckleyflyer

• Forum Member
« Reply #10687 on April 09, 2021, 08:11:44 pm by auckleyflyer »
Spoke to him wednesday, flew into Newquay, spent an Hour in the tower, took a drive round the airfield (G7 preps) then off to carbis bay (G7 host 30 mile down county) then onto Truro. Didn't fly out till nearly midnight. It was an eye opener the process of a visit!!

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10688 on April 09, 2021, 08:55:55 pm by wilts rover »

If you can tell me what the rules are bkpool I will let you know? What business meeting might he have been carrying out in Cornwall during local election purdah btw?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #10689 on April 09, 2021, 09:02:47 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Spoke to him wednesday, flew into Newquay, spent an Hour in the tower, took a drive round the airfield (G7 preps) then off to carbis bay (G7 host 30 mile down county) then onto Truro. Didn't fly out till nearly midnight. It was an eye opener the process of a visit!!

I can only imagine what it will be like if the USA don't cancel....

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #10690 on April 09, 2021, 09:51:30 pm by albie »

I will be disappointed if you missed the chance to give him what for, and a smack in the mouth as well!
Obviously, security would have pounced....but you would be up there with the stars.

Remember Prescott's punch....great day that!

auckleyflyer

• Forum Member
« Reply #10691 on April 09, 2021, 10:38:35 pm by auckleyflyer »
Lots of faffing on our part, but very little security! They were there, 3rangerovers and 4 galaxys all black, and a througher walk around of the tower an hour prior. Most then went (presumably to next destination) when he was here anyone of us could have popped a cap in his ass or least a blunt screwdriver!! We were genuinely surprised.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10692 on April 09, 2021, 10:59:18 pm by bpoolrover »

If you can tell me what the rules are bkpool I will let you know? What business meeting might he have been carrying out in Cornwall during local election purdah btw?
no idea mate

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #10693 on April 11, 2021, 09:38:44 am by normal rules »

I assume this was meant humourously, but given the fervid state of debate on this topic, it might be worth you clarifying that.

I just googled the question BST.
plenty of information came up.
The bbc news page has a good article.

Then you'll know that what NR said is factually wrong and what SS said is the actual story.

Right?

I was merely quoting the bbc. The link is here . And it is the chance of being killed in a car accident, nothing to do with dvt.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjjgbXT5PXvAhWVQuUKHfIECzwQFjAAegQIBBAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fexplainers-56665396&usg=AOvVaw2lkpGRGEKaWDJr8RkxcF8Y

And I’m happy to report I’ve had AZ vaccine.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10694 on April 11, 2021, 11:27:31 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
NR.
I'm happy to stand corrected. My apologies for misunderstanding your post.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10695 on April 11, 2021, 11:31:11 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Meanwhile, yet another appalling article by Heneghan in The Spectator this weekend, suggesting, wrongly  that 10s of thousands of excess deaths have been caused by lockdown. I really don't understand what stunt the right wing media are trying to pull on this issue. And the fact that Sunak dragged Heneghan into Downing Street to convince Johnson to ignore SAGE on the circuit breaker last September is looking more and more like a shocking error.

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
« Reply #10696 on April 12, 2021, 07:48:51 am by no eyed deer »
Meanwhile, yet another appalling article by Heneghan in The Spectator this weekend, suggesting, wrongly  that 10s of thousands of excess deaths have been caused by lockdown. I really don't understand what stunt the right wing media are trying to pull on this issue. And the fact that Sunak dragged Heneghan into Downing Street to convince Johnson to ignore SAGE on the circuit breaker last September is looking more and more like a shocking error.

Yet you believe 50m could easily have died if the governments of this world hadn't locked down ?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10697 on April 12, 2021, 10:33:40 am by BillyStubbsTears »

Yet you believe 50m could easily have died if the governments of this world hadn't locked down ?

10s of millions, certainly.
7 billion people on earth. 70% infection rate to hit herd Immunity. 1% Infection Fatality Rate.

It's primary school maths from there.

And all that is ignoring the consequences of entire health systems falling over with the consequent huge increase in non-COVID deaths.

What makes you think there wouldn't have been deaths on that scale?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10698 on April 12, 2021, 10:59:00 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Only in England, eh?
https://mobile.twitter.com/martinbamford/status/1381513556173201408

That picture makes me quite proud to be English.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #10699 on April 12, 2021, 11:15:54 am by normal rules »
Certainly”al fresco” .

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #10700 on April 12, 2021, 11:19:25 am by normal rules »

10s of millions, certainly.
7 billion people on earth. 70% infection rate to hit herd Immunity. 1% Infection Fatality Rate.

It's primary school maths from there.

And all that is ignoring the consequences of entire health systems falling over with the consequent huge increase in non-COVID deaths.

What makes you think there wouldn't have been deaths on that scale?

There will be some scary numbers to come from India yet. A country with a poor health system, millions living in poverty and third world living conditions. Hospitals already overwhelmed. We may never know the actual devastation the virus will wreak here.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #10701 on April 12, 2021, 11:40:56 am by Metalmicky »
There will be some scary numbers to come from India yet. A country with a poor health system, millions living in poverty and third world living conditions. Hospitals already overwhelmed. We may never know the actual devastation the virus will wreak here.

And yet they still gather in their thousands for religious festivals... after recording over 150,000 new cases on each of the last two days

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-56713993

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #10702 on April 12, 2021, 02:26:40 pm by Axholme Lion »

https://www.bmj.com/content/bmj/371/bmj.m4074.full.pdf

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10703 on April 13, 2021, 10:47:30 am by BillyStubbsTears »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #10704 on April 13, 2021, 10:58:01 am by Filo »
My mother and father in law, 14 weeks on from their first jab have not been called for their second jab yet, both 84 years old

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10705 on April 13, 2021, 11:01:35 am by BillyStubbsTears »

https://www.bmj.com/content/bmj/371/bmj.m4074.full.pdf

Not sure what point you're making AL.

Obviously there will be knock on health issues (positive as well as negative) from lockdown.

My point about Heneghan's article is that he was strongly implying that there have been many tens of thousands of additional, non-COVID related deaths due to lockdown.

There haven't. Full stop. For him to imply that, and for The Spectator to publish that is nothing short of disgusting.

PS. They have edited the article to water down that implication slightly, so they know they have gone over the line. But they haven't apologised for the original. Just quietly changed it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/_johnbye/status/1380912308512288769

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10706 on April 13, 2021, 11:02:29 am by BillyStubbsTears »
My mother and father in law, 14 weeks on from their first jab have not been called for their second jab yet, both 84 years old
Filo. Get them booked sharpish through that link. I've just booked my second jab for 3 June which is the earliest I can get it.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #10707 on April 13, 2021, 11:12:26 am by Herbert Anchovy »
My sister (who’s 47) has just booked her first jab online for next Thursday. She’s also booked her second jab for the end of June. Remarkable stuff really. On the other end of the scale, friends of mine who are in their 70’s and living in France have no idea when they can expect theres. It’s a huge worry for them and causing untold stress.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #10708 on April 13, 2021, 11:16:49 am by Filo »
Filo. Get them booked sharpish through that link. I've just booked my second jab for 3 June which is the earliest I can get it.

Thanks, I’ve passed on that info to the Sister in law who has been dealing with that kind of stuff since the pandemic started

auckleyflyer

• Forum Member
« Reply #10709 on April 13, 2021, 12:49:28 pm by auckleyflyer »
Thanks BST just booked mine, 50 in Oct and was wondering when I'd be able to get it. Feel better already knowing that I'm booked.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012