Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:06:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 860759 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #10800 on April 21, 2021, 06:34:03 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I'm putting up guesstimates for the actual figures Bpool. And in fairness, you're right that there would probably need to be retention of some form of housing benefit for areas of the country where housing costs are high.

The idea is that it will replace income benefits. and it won't possibly all come in at once. it'll start with smaller annual amounts that begin to replace benefits, but which are paid out to everyone. Like the Helicopter Money in the USA.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10801 on April 21, 2021, 06:40:41 pm by bpoolrover »
Thank you bst, will have to look into it more but seems a good idea as you say if the keep housing benefit.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10802 on April 21, 2021, 07:13:05 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
This isn't a bad start Bpool.

https://www.vox.com/2014/9/8/6003359/basic-income-negative-income-tax-questions-explain

Gives a pretty well balanced account.

Here's the Biggie for me.

It's also possible that capital will realize a basic income is in its interests if technological unemployment leaves too weak of a consumer base for them to which to sell their products. Former Secretary of Labor and liberal commentator Robert Reich has called a basic income "almost inevitable" on these grounds: "as productivity increases, technological change provides us with great benefits but requires fewer and fewer people to actually do the work…who's going to be the customer?"

Once we are all put out of work by AI and robots, how do the companies that use the AI and robots make any money if we are all too poor to buy owt they sell?

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #10803 on April 21, 2021, 08:12:45 pm by turnbull for england »
It's going to be a big change all round isn't it   all those people who would be doing the these replaced jobs will need to do something so you'd imagine there will be a lot more social  type opportunities as people  aren't tied to shifts and factories  and that time is filled on both sides

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #10804 on April 21, 2021, 08:20:24 pm by drfchound »
As long as I can remember people have talked about whatabouteries with regards to the future.
It isn’t a new thing.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10805 on April 21, 2021, 08:35:43 pm by wilts rover »
As long as I can remember people have talked about whatabouteries with regards to the future.
It isn’t a new thing.

That's supposed to be what Stonehenge is for. Were you around then hound?

Always good to wonder about the future I think. Then it's not a surprise when it happens.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #10806 on April 21, 2021, 08:57:05 pm by drfchound »
It isn’t a new thing.

That's supposed to be what Stonehenge is for. Were you around then hound?

Always good to wonder about the future I think. Then it's not a surprise when it happens.

No mate, I am not as old as Stonehenge but Scawsby Steve and Wolfie knew the architects ( they tell me).
As for wondering about the future, yep, I agree it is good to do so.
Some people though tend to look for the bad things that might happen.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 09:11:29 pm by drfchound »

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #10807 on April 22, 2021, 07:20:44 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
This isn't a bad start Bpool.

https://www.vox.com/2014/9/8/6003359/basic-income-negative-income-tax-questions-explain

Gives a pretty well balanced account.

Here's the Biggie for me.

It's also possible that capital will realize a basic income is in its interests if technological unemployment leaves too weak of a consumer base for them to which to sell their products. Former Secretary of Labor and liberal commentator Robert Reich has called a basic income "almost inevitable" on these grounds: "as productivity increases, technological change provides us with great benefits but requires fewer and fewer people to actually do the work…who's going to be the customer?"

Once we are all put out of work by AI and robots, how do the companies that use the AI and robots make any money if we are all too poor to buy owt they sell?

Some strong arguments for it in the thread particularly if applied to all which it has to be.

Still loads of questions though. How do we raise the money to pay for it is one such question?  Would it ever happen without means testing?  The reading I was looking at last night was heavily focussed on it being applied to lower income workers and increasing higher rate taxes.  So it's not universal in that case is it?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #10808 on April 23, 2021, 11:33:40 am by selby »
  According to reports on the tests analysed from the  Covid tests taken by schoolchildren at schools they show that 99.6% of schoolchildren have shown no positive tests for covid.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10809 on April 23, 2021, 12:36:01 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
My 14 year old is back to home schooling for 10 days after a kid in his class tested +ve.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10810 on April 23, 2021, 12:51:47 pm by SydneyRover »
Hopefully he's safe Billy

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10811 on April 23, 2021, 01:03:04 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
He's fine thanks SR. It's the disruption to schooling and social life at a vital age that I worry about.

Last complete half term that he and his class completed in school was Jan-Feb 2020.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10812 on April 23, 2021, 01:29:53 pm by wilts rover »
  According to reports on the tests analysed from the  Covid tests taken by schoolchildren at schools they show that 99.6% of schoolchildren have shown no positive tests for covid.

Two of the schools here have been closed after positive tests. Must be quite localised.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #10813 on April 23, 2021, 01:42:27 pm by selby »
 The number was of positive tests taken not the number sent home to isolate, anyone who tests positive has my sympathy and I hope they recover, but go a long way to backing up of the average age of the deaths caused by Covid, which themselves due to the vaccine have reduced dramatically.
  Backs up the government's policy of vaccinating by age and the most vulnerable.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10814 on April 23, 2021, 02:16:41 pm by bpoolrover »
My kids have been lucky since they went back no classes needed to stop, down to 7 per 100k so let’s  hope it continues

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #10815 on April 23, 2021, 03:03:33 pm by turnbull for england »
Looks like it's running amok in India  some awful scenes on the news today

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #10816 on April 23, 2021, 07:15:00 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Got my vaccine on Sunday, can't wait as I hate needles. Good progress in Donny mind to get to my age now.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10817 on April 23, 2021, 08:52:10 pm by ravenrover »
Judging by the figures I heard tonight Donny needs it, top of the per 100000 rate.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #10818 on April 26, 2021, 07:06:59 pm by selby »
  I bet old Macron is looking across the Channel and thinking you barsteward Boris.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #10819 on April 26, 2021, 07:09:57 pm by drfchound »
Judging by the figures I heard tonight Donny needs it, top of the per 100000 rate.

I had an email yesterday from Suckling of DMBC.
He said that our cases were quite high but that lots of the cases had been traced back to three illegal parties.
If only people could behave.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #10820 on April 26, 2021, 08:55:46 pm by mushRTID »
Just over 2000 cases reported today, weeks after the big reopening of schools and plenty more reopened since.

Dare we dream this is now under control once and for all?

It’s been brilliant finally been able to take the kids out to places.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10821 on April 26, 2021, 09:05:18 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
It is a massive relief to be getting back outside. We are taking the kids to Scarborough for the weekend at the back end of next week and they are going batshit about it.

I think we are over things as regards mass deaths for the moment, thanks to the superb vaccine programme. But the virus WILL mutate and it will come back, probably requiring new vaccination programmes. I suspect there will be a few more bumps on the way over the next 2-3 years, not just a once and for all end to anti-virus measures.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #10822 on April 26, 2021, 09:33:15 pm by Nudga »
Almost like it's seasonal.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10823 on April 26, 2021, 09:41:49 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Ah yes Nudga. THE most vacuous soundbite of the COVID sceptics.

It will BECOME seasonal. Of course it will. Just like colds and flu. But that trite nonsense about it BEING seasonal now, that has been fired out by lockdown sceptics all over the world to argue that lockdowns don't work and aren't necessary is absolute dog shite.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 09:46:28 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #10824 on April 26, 2021, 10:12:12 pm by normal rules »
My close family and I have managed to steer well clear of this virus . Today I received some terrible news though to remind me that it is still about. My old Sgt Major from my military days is currently in a coma and they are about to turn off his life support. He caught the virus a few months ago. He is 58. He leaves an wife and three children. I am totally gutted. He was as fit as a butchers dog, with no underlying conditions. He has been writing spy thriller books(successfully)  since his retirement. His name is Michael Jenkins. A real loss.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10825 on April 26, 2021, 10:16:02 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Awful news NR.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10826 on April 26, 2021, 11:25:09 pm by SydneyRover »
My sympathies NR, terrible news.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #10827 on April 30, 2021, 05:42:17 pm by selby »
  Nowt to see here the UK are leading the way under this government, wallpaper is the subject of choice now.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #10828 on April 30, 2021, 06:01:35 pm by drfchound »
I have just read an article from True Potential which says that uk economists have begun to anticipate stronger growth  and lower unemployment in the coming year.
The EY ITEM Club, a group of industry experts have released their Spring 2021 forecast.
They suggest that the economy will grow by 6.8% in 2021 which is a significant increase on the January forecast of 5%.
If they are correct the Uk will emerge with far less damage than was initially anticipated and enjoy a rate not seen since WW2.
The unemployment number is now expected to peak at 5.8% which is a significant improvement from the 8 or 9% forecast this time last year.
They even think that by the third quarter of next year unemployment may fall below 5%.
With regards to consumer spending, it is estimated that the British public have accrued a staggering £192billion of savings over the last year and a poll by the CEBR has found that are planning on spending much of it.
Holidays are at the top of the list.
The ongoing recovery will create more jobs and therefore, less unemployment, as British people go out and spend to support business.
After a year of grim headlines and doom laden predictions we must remember to celebrate positive news.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10829 on April 30, 2021, 06:21:49 pm by bpoolrover »
Nice to have something positive to look forward to hound after a crap year

TinyPortal © 2005-2012