Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:13:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 860414 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #10920 on May 13, 2021, 12:24:49 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Hancock today blaming hospital waiting lists on COVID.

"of course one of the consequences of the pandemic has been this big increase in the waiting list. It’s right on the top of my agenda making sure we get that sorted"

Hospital waiting lists.

I can't find words to express how much I despise that piece of shite. Recall, he was Osborne's special adviser in 2010, who spouted the voodoo economics bullshit about Austerity being good for the economy. Look what it has done to the NHS.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #10921 on May 13, 2021, 12:27:12 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Isn't Private Eye a satirical magazine or am I missing something here?
It is a satirical magazine, and what you're missing is satire should play no serious part in a serious discussion, especially when its agenda biased.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #10922 on May 13, 2021, 12:32:19 pm by River Don »
Thing is in India it’s clearly obvious that the numbers they are reporting are untrue

Tell us the true ones and I'll believe you.

There will be a few things going on. The data will be less reliable in India. There will be fewer vulnerable people as a percentage of the population in India. The Indian populist government made a big thing of how well they were doing against the virus and will be very reluctant to admit how bad things are getting now.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10923 on May 13, 2021, 12:34:17 pm by SydneyRover »
It is a satirical magazine, and what you're missing is satire should play no serious part in a serious discussion, especially when its agenda biased.

If you don't mind me sayin' that's a bit rich coming from you.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #10924 on May 13, 2021, 12:37:53 pm by River Don »
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/13/covid-variant-found-in-india-may-delay-lifting-of-england-restrictions-minister-admits
again rd I think most people are dubious that restrictions will be lifted on the 21st of June, let’s get to that stage 1st and see how it goes, if any variant is found to avoid the vaccine then yes we will have to lockdown again

I still think, given the nature of the beast, it makes more sense to lock down before things get bad than bolting the door after the horse has bolted.

That's the lesson this government has consistently failed to learn and it looks like they are going about it the wrong way. Again.

Fingers crossed this varient isn't as bad as it seems.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #10925 on May 13, 2021, 12:39:08 pm by Bentley Bullet »

If you don't mind me sayin' that's a bit rich coming from you.
My only agenda is to try and re-balance what on this forum ALWAYS has a one-sided political agenda.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10926 on May 13, 2021, 12:43:21 pm by SydneyRover »
I think you misunderstand what a balanced debate is, it's people discussing facts not having two opposing sides

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10927 on May 13, 2021, 12:46:40 pm by bpoolrover »
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/13/covid-variant-found-in-india-may-delay-lifting-of-england-restrictions-minister-admits
again rd I think most people are dubious that restrictions will be lifted on the 21st of June, let’s get to that stage 1st and see how it goes, if any variant is found to avoid the vaccine then yes we will have to lockdown again

I still think, given the nature of the beast, it makes more sense to lock down before things get bad than bolting the door after the horse has bolted.

That's the lesson this government has consistently failed to learn and it looks like they are going about it the wrong way. Again.

Fingers crossed this varient isn't as bad as it seems.
you might be right mate hopefully not thou I’m not sure there will be any blame this time as I think people in the Main accept that we will have to live with the virus and things need to open before many more lose there jobs and livelihoods

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #10928 on May 13, 2021, 12:48:22 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I think you misunderstand what a balanced debate is, it's people discussing facts not having two opposing sides
A balanced debate with people discussing facts should not involve calling someone on the opposing side a piece of shite.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10929 on May 13, 2021, 12:49:05 pm by SydneyRover »
well stop doin' it is all

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #10930 on May 13, 2021, 12:49:44 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Eh?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10931 on May 13, 2021, 12:56:48 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
A balanced debate with people discussing facts should not involve calling someone on the opposing side a piece of shite.

I use that word very advisedly for him. And my previous post gives the evidence for why I hold that view.

Hancock is the very, very worst kind of politician. He rose by trumpeting Austerity which is the most damaging and simply illogical economic policy of the past century. That has caused untold damage to our economy and society. And he's not changed. He lies and misleads as easily as he breathes. He's doing it right there in that quote today. The NHS waiting list problems have absolutely NOT been caused by COVID. They are the result of the decade long decline caused by the policies that that piece of shite pushed a decade ago.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10932 on May 13, 2021, 01:02:09 pm by SydneyRover »
''Could the COVID-19 pandemic have been stopped if the world listened to the WHO?

The WHO had declared a PHEIC five times since the warning was created after the SARS outbreak in 2002.

2009: Swine flu in North America
2014: Ebola in West Africa
2014: Polio in Pakistan, Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea and Syria
2016: Zika in Brazil
2019: Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo

In spite of the warnings that a pandemic was likely, nations' plans for an outbreak were vastly underfunded and underprepared''

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-13/report-finds-covid-outbreak-could-have-been-contained/100136222

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10933 on May 13, 2021, 01:07:25 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
COVID public inquiry not to start until Spring next year?

Why? Govt has given no reason.

Meanwhile, in entirely unrelated news, an expert told the BBC that it would take the inquiry at least 2, probably three years to produce a report. Meaning that it won't report on the disastrous decisions made by this Govt in 2020 until after the next election.

I get the feeling that democratic accountability is evaporating before our very eyes.

That is a very narrow minded view BST.
You should know that n inquiry of this magnitude can take years to be completed.
Do you really think that all the evidence from all sides can be cobbled together in a few months.
Look how long it took to complete other high profile inquiries, Hillsborough for example.
This go go on to the GE after the next one.

Apologies. I thought my point was bleeding obvious.

I KNOW that inquiries take a long time. I'm not questioning that.

The point is that Johnson is kicking the START date of the inquiry down the road, so the report won't come before the next election.

Why not start the enquiry now?

And it's not just me pointing out the affront to democracy this entails.

The Sun editorial today.
"THE sole purpose of a Covid public inquiry is to learn lessons for the next pandemic.

So we need a result far sooner than after the next election. Besides, it will look shifty to delay a conclusion potentially damaging for the Government."

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #10934 on May 13, 2021, 01:12:38 pm by Bentley Bullet »

I use that word very advisedly for him. And my previous post gives the evidence for why I hold that view.

Hancock is the very, very worst kind of politician. He rose by trumpeting Austerity which is the most damaging and simply illogical economic policy of the past century. That has caused untold damage to our economy and society. And he's not changed. He lies and misleads as easily as he breathes. He's doing it right there in that quote today. The NHS waiting list problems have absolutely NOT been caused by COVID. They are the result of the decade long decline caused by the policies that that piece of shite pushed a decade ago.
You preach about grown-up politics, yet you find the need to call someone you don't agree with a piece of shite, twice!

Bravo.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10935 on May 13, 2021, 01:15:01 pm by SydneyRover »
wasn't there a few on here calling a politician a terrorist not so long back, the government are now doing exactly the same thing?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10936 on May 13, 2021, 01:20:52 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
BB
Once again the point flies straight over your head.

It's not that I disagree with him. I disagree with many people yet still respect them.

The issue with Hancock is that for him truth is dispensible. You can't have an honest disagreement with that approach. He is an example of the new breed of politician who have realised that there is no longer a penalty for lying. So he lies as a matter of policy.

THAT is why I despise him.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #10937 on May 13, 2021, 02:01:02 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Looks like Private Eye could have compared a lot of countries with India more convincingly than the UK.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1111779/coronavirus-death-rate-europe-by-country/

As they were putting the current Covid situation in India into a UK context there wouldn't have been much point, would there?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #10938 on May 13, 2021, 02:05:29 pm by drfchound »
COVID public inquiry not to start until Spring next year?

Why? Govt has given no reason.

Meanwhile, in entirely unrelated news, an expert told the BBC that it would take the inquiry at least 2, probably three years to produce a report. Meaning that it won't report on the disastrous decisions made by this Govt in 2020 until after the next election.

I get the feeling that democratic accountability is evaporating before our very eyes.

That is a very narrow minded view BST.
You should know that n inquiry of this magnitude can take years to be completed.
Do you really think that all the evidence from all sides can be cobbled together in a few months.
Look how long it took to complete other high profile inquiries, Hillsborough for example.
This go go on to the GE after the next one.

Apologies. I thought my point was bleeding obvious.

I KNOW that inquiries take a long time. I'm not questioning that.

The point is that Johnson is kicking the START date of the inquiry down the road, so the report won't come before the next election.

Why not start the enquiry now?

And it's not just me pointing out the affront to democracy this entails.

The Sun editorial today.
"THE sole purpose of a Covid public inquiry is to learn lessons for the next pandemic.

So we need a result far sooner than after the next election. Besides, it will look shifty to delay a conclusion potentially damaging for the Government."

How long will it take to collect all the information together, find a body to hold the inquiry and find someone to chair it.
I guess you will say “not long” or something similar.
No one will want to begin the inquiry without feeling that everything is being covered properly.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #10939 on May 13, 2021, 02:19:48 pm by Bentley Bullet »
BB

It's not that I disagree with him. I disagree with many people yet still respect them.

The issue with Hancock is that for him truth is dispensible. You can't have an honest disagreement with that approach. He is an example of the new breed of politician who have realised that there is no longer a penalty for lying. So he lies as a matter of policy.

But you're doing what you've done for the past 5 years, repeating over and over again anything you can find against the Tory party and looking the other way at Labour misdemeanours. If you searched for Labour wrongdoings as vehemently as you do Tory ones You would most certainly redress the balance yourself without me having to do it. You would also no doubt find Labour politicians who have changed their views on things since ten years ago without calling them liars for doing so.

It's also obvious to me that the party in opposition is in a much easier position to act squeaky clean while accusing the government of not being so because there is far less pressure being in a position of policy-making without responsibility.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #10940 on May 13, 2021, 02:25:53 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Looks like Private Eye could have compared a lot of countries with India more convincingly than the UK.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1111779/coronavirus-death-rate-europe-by-country/

As they were putting the current Covid situation in India into a UK context there wouldn't have been much point, would there?

The only point was to make it an anti-British government one, as was the only point why you put it on here.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #10941 on May 13, 2021, 03:22:41 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

The only point was to make it an anti-British government one, as was the only point why you put it on here.

Facts are facts. To say they should be ignored because of who puts them in front of you tells anybody all they need to know about Bentley Bullet and his consistent policy of arguing the toss and not the issue.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 03:25:49 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #10942 on May 13, 2021, 03:55:45 pm by Bentley Bullet »
What is a fact is using facts to deceive makes a mockery of them and Private Eye relies on those gullible enough to want to believe the deceit.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10943 on May 13, 2021, 03:56:33 pm by bpoolrover »

Facts are facts. To say they should be ignored because of who puts them in front of you tells anybody all they need to know about Bentley Bullet and his consistent policy of arguing the toss and not the issue.
https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/24/indias-covid-death-toll-hides-stark-truth-for-the-poor-its-even-worse facts are facts

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10944 on May 13, 2021, 04:31:40 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
BB

But you're doing what you've done for the past 5 years, repeating over and over again anything you can find against the Tory party and looking the other way at Labour misdemeanours. If you searched for Labour wrongdoings as vehemently as you do Tory ones You would most certainly redress the balance yourself without me having to do it. You would also no doubt find Labour politicians who have changed their views on things since ten years ago without calling them liars for doing so.

It's also obvious to me that the party in opposition is in a much easier position to act squeaky clean while accusing the government of not being so because there is far less pressure being in a position of policy-making without responsibility.

If you can find me an example of a Labour politician who made his name promoting dangerous batshit voodoo economics theories that have had a horrendous effect on the social and economic fabric of the country, and who routinely lies when asked direct questions, I'll gladly criticise them. Off you toddle.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #10945 on May 13, 2021, 04:37:18 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/24/indias-covid-death-toll-hides-stark-truth-for-the-poor-its-even-worse facts are facts

Did you miss the bit in the big bold headline that says 'likely'? That isn't a fact. Give me some alternative figures to replace Private Eye's. 

Mind you, I'll give you your due, at least you're addressing the issue and not arguing the toss.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #10946 on May 13, 2021, 05:17:33 pm by Bentley Bullet »
But your example of a Tory one is only your opinion
BB

If you can find me an example of a Labour politician who made his name promoting dangerous batshit voodoo economics theories that have had a horrendous effect on the social and economic fabric of the country, and who routinely lies when asked direct questions, I'll gladly criticise them. Off you toddle.

Why should you make the conditions? You're the accused, not me! If I wanted to dish the dirt on a Labour politician I wouldn't have to look far! in fact, I would only have to look at the former Labour leader Corbyn's alleged support of a terrorist group, and former Labour Prime Minister Blair's batshit accusations of non existant weapons of mass destruction, resulting in a horrendous effect on social and economic fabric of Iraq, along with thousands of deaths? That's not just my personal batshit opinion driven by hatred like yours is, that's the common take of public opinion.

Now be a good boy and answer MY questions for once.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10947 on May 13, 2021, 05:39:53 pm by ravenrover »
So back to the main topic, after locking down on India far too late The Clown is now worried about the increase in the Indian variant and is now talking about possible local lockdowns.
Since when or how did he expect those returning from India to isolate at home when the majority live in an extended household or even have the inclination to quarantine.
The same will apply to many who take a foreign holiday this year who are expected to quarantine at home too little too late

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10948 on May 13, 2021, 06:20:39 pm by wilts rover »
So back to the main topic, after locking down on India far too late The Clown is now worried about the increase in the Indian variant and is now talking about possible local lockdowns.
Since when or how did he expect those returning from India to isolate at home when the majority live in an extended household or even have the inclination to quarantine.
The same will apply to many who take a foreign holiday this year who are expected to quarantine at home too little too late

Yes exactly. As I wrote a couple of weeks back this is the third time he has left it too late to impose travel restrictions when advised to do so - with the end results being the same.

Once again putting his ego and the wealth of his mates and donors before the health of the public.

Again as has been said before - the vaccine is not saving us from covid, it is saving us from Johnson's handling of it.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #10949 on May 13, 2021, 06:53:39 pm by drfchound »

BST.
My wife is waiting for two hospital appointments for different issues, one is potentially serious.
She had an appointment cancelled a few months ago (for the more dangerous issue) and was told they would get back in touch with her within two months.
We are now five months down the line from the cancellation.
She rang numerous times but couldn’t get through but when she eventually did she was told that they were doing their best to fit her in but delays were inevitable due to the coronavirus backlog.
Were they lying to her then?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012