Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:57:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 860254 times)

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #10980 on May 14, 2021, 08:34:07 pm by bpoolrover »
Albie there will be new variants for years, they say that there is no reason to think the vaccine won’t work against it, if x amount of people have it and hospital are not that busy and deaths are low that’s what we have to put up with

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #10981 on May 14, 2021, 10:49:12 pm by River Don »
They are taking a gamble.

They are gambling on the Indian varient not being as transmissible as feared and they are gambling that it isn't as resistant to the vacinne as feared. They don't know, they're just opening up and hoping.

I'm not going in pubs, restaurants, cinemas and shops until more is known. Plenty will though.

If we see another big surge in cases and hospital cases then once again it will be on Johnsons shoulders. Will the public realise it though?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #10982 on May 14, 2021, 10:52:26 pm by River Don »
Albie there will be new variants for years, they say that there is no reason to think the vaccine won’t work against it, if x amount of people have it and hospital are not that busy and deaths are low that’s what we have to put up with

But there is reason to worry the vacinne will be less effective against it. Perhaps much less effective. Hospitals are quiet and deaths are low but we're only in the foothills of a new cycle.

We don't know. The prudent thing would be to hold off now and find out more before taking this risk.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #10983 on May 14, 2021, 11:15:53 pm by River Don »
Bozo was giving notice of a big change coming, Blackpool.

With Sage saying the Indian variant is up to 50% more infectious, it will become the main strain by June.

Bozo is repeating the same error he always makes, delay action until it is too late. It seems to be hard wired into his make up, it is like his is immune to numbers.

Here is a proper explanation from Ch 4 news tonight;
https://www.channel4.com/news/why-are-we-taking-a-gamble-with-peoples-lives-epidemiologist-dr-deepti-gurdasani

We have no competence among the political decision makers.

When you have a leader who says he'd rather see body bags in the thousands than lockdown again, is it incompetence or sheer callousness at work?

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #10984 on May 14, 2021, 11:58:23 pm by albie »
Relaxation of the rules on Monday is irrational when set against the science and the data.

Bozo doesn't understand the precautionary principle, and is addicted to gambling with outcomes.
Hoping for the best is not a coherent strategy!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/14/india-covid-variant-could-lead-to-third-wave-uk

Why would you take a chance on this, when holding off until the data solidifies gives you a much fuller picture of prospects?

The Sage advice is from May 5, yet here we are taking the wrong approach on May 15.
Same old story from Johnson, yet again.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 12:35:25 am by albie »

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #10985 on May 15, 2021, 12:20:39 am by River Don »
Blimey Albie,

That article reckons preliminary studies show this varient might be 60% more transmissible. 60%!

if that's anywhere near right and we open up, hospitals are going to be faced with numbers not yet seen.

This is absolutely f**king crazy.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10986 on May 15, 2021, 12:28:58 am by BillyStubbsTears »
I was reminded by a colleague that Johnson said in a speech in 2006 that the real hero of Jaws was the mayor who opened the beach when all the namby pambies wanted to keep it shut to stay safe.

You do have to wonder...

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10987 on May 15, 2021, 12:34:51 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Sobering finding from a data analyst at that well-know panic rag The Economist.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Sondreus/status/1393256845603741703

Reckons the true global excess deaths from COVID add up to about 10 million people.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10988 on May 15, 2021, 12:50:18 am by bpoolrover »

With Sage saying the Indian variant is up to 50% more infectious, it will become the main strain by June.

Bozo is repeating the same error he always makes, delay action until it is too late. It seems to be hard wired into his make up, it is like his is immune to numbers.

https://www.channel4.com/news/why-are-we-taking-a-gamble-with-peoples-lives-epidemiologist-dr-deepti-gurdasani

When you have a leader who says he'd rather see body bags in the thousands than lockdown again, is it incompetence or sheer callousness at work?
but you don’t no he has said that do you mate?

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10989 on May 15, 2021, 12:52:43 am by bpoolrover »

But there is reason to worry the vacinne will be less effective against it. Perhaps much less effective. Hospitals are quiet and deaths are low but we're only in the foothills of a new cycle.

We don't know. The prudent thing would be to hold off now and find out more before taking this risk.
how long shall we hold off for?  3 weeks 3 months? Then we open and the German variant which is cause for concern comes along? Then we wait 6 more months, unfortunately some people don’t have months or years to live they want to try and enjoy what time they have left, just about every report I have seen have said they think at the minute the vaccines should work, you seem to be getting your information from somewhere different than me or your being very negative,(none of that is meant in a disrespecting way)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 01:01:00 am by bpoolrover »

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10990 on May 15, 2021, 01:41:29 am by SydneyRover »

I suppose you have to use the laws of probability to answer that one with any degree of accuracy and we know that johnson has been a lying f**k for all of his public life, therefore the chances of him telling the truth where his credibility is involved are pretty low odds mate.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 02:35:32 am by SydneyRover »

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #10991 on May 15, 2021, 06:32:30 am by Nudga »
I've seen an article which suggests that varients are only 0.3% different from the one it originated from. It's not enough difference to cause alarm.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #10992 on May 15, 2021, 06:54:39 am by mushRTID »
I've seen an article which suggests that varients are only 0.3% different from the one it originated from. It's not enough difference to cause alarm.

Yesterday there was still only 2193 cases too. We were in the 2000’s a month or two back! They aren’t going up dramatically.

This mass fear and scaremongering is really getting to me now.

We aren’t going to stop cases, we can’t stays closed forever!

Yes keep an eye on it and target it locally if we need to, but talk of delaying opening is madness in my opinion. It’s time to move on with our lives

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #10993 on May 15, 2021, 08:21:08 am by River Don »

It depends where that 0.3% of a difference is and what it does.

This mainly seems to be a very small difference to the protein spike. These are the arms around the virus that enables it to latch on, and what it does, is makes it more effective at latching on. If that article is correct upto 60% more effective, which is a huge improvement.

There is also another change in it that they don't understand yet but the suspicion is it will help it evade the vacinne.

To think of it another way, the DNA sequence of man and chimp is 99% identical. Just 1% makes all the difference.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 09:03:50 am by River Don »

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #10994 on May 15, 2021, 08:23:19 am by River Don »

We don't know. Not for sure but it's been widely reported and it doesn't sound out of character.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #10995 on May 15, 2021, 09:22:46 am by Bentley Bullet »
If an unproven accusation fits your agenda of hate, use it as a fact. Sorted!

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #10996 on May 15, 2021, 09:31:01 am by River Don »

Several people heard him. It's been widely reported, no one has apologised or retracted the story.

I don't hate him, I think he's a man under pressure making difficult choices. I don't think he's the right person to be making these choices though.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10997 on May 15, 2021, 09:47:03 am by ravenrover »
Wonder if there will be a Portuguese variant come 2 - 3 weeks after next Monday?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #10998 on May 15, 2021, 09:55:56 am by idler »
Wonder if there will be a Portuguese variant come 2 - 3 weeks after next Monday?
I wonder if the Indian variant will be over there in a month?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #10999 on May 15, 2021, 10:02:29 am by Bentley Bullet »

Several people heard him. It's been widely reported, no one has apologised or retracted the story.

I don't hate him, I think he's a man under pressure making difficult choices. I don't think he's the right person to be making these choices though.
People in a position of responsibility in fighting the pandemic don't have time to respond to all the accusations from people with a political agenda of hate towards them.

In a country that is divided in opinion regarding lockdowns in general it is impossible to please everyone, and if nitpicking every mistake in hindsight, or choosing to believe every anti-Boris accusation you can find in the lefty rags that unashamedly supply them, and in the same breath insist on grown-ups politics, I will always oppose you.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #11000 on May 15, 2021, 10:07:01 am by River Don »
Alright then, it's just he hasn't had time to deal it. No doubt he will get around to it later.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #11001 on May 15, 2021, 10:10:18 am by Bentley Bullet »
Maybe you'll have time to properly respond to my post later?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11002 on May 15, 2021, 10:15:15 am by SydneyRover »
johnson going AWOL in the middle of a pandemic doesn't count?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #11003 on May 15, 2021, 10:28:00 am by River Don »

Alright.

Nitpicking every mistake you say.

It's always the same mistake, not acting swiftly enough.

Over and over, he doesn't learn. He's had people around him like Gove and Cummings pushing him to make the right choices. Not only is he not listening to the scientific advice, he's resistant to what his allies say.

There is no hindsight here. His mistakes are being picked up before he makes them. As it is now.

He's not fit for this job.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 10:30:42 am by River Don »

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11004 on May 15, 2021, 10:29:53 am by SydneyRover »
More trivia ....................... Johnson accidentally missed 5 cobra meetings, meetings to decide what the nation does in a crisis

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11005 on May 15, 2021, 10:42:13 am by SydneyRover »

People in a position of responsibility in fighting the pandemic don't have time to respond to all the accusations from people with a political agenda of hate towards them.

In a country that is divided in opinion regarding lockdowns in general it is impossible to please everyone, and if nitpicking every mistake in hindsight, or choosing to believe every anti-Boris accusation you can find in the lefty rags that unashamedly supply them, and in the same breath insist on grown-ups politics, I will always oppose you.

If you want to rewrite history, getting one's fact right is always a good start otherwise one can look pretty foolish.

From that lefty rag owned by the aging hippy R Murdoch.

''On the weekend, the Sunday Times released a scathing look at the government's handling of the coronavirus crisis. The piece hones in on the notable absence of Boris Johnson during five Cobra meetings held to plan the response to the impending crisis. And where was Johnson while some meetings took place amongst experts and senior officials? He was at Chevening, a 17th century mansion in Kent.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/7kzn3y/boris-johnson-holidays-coronavirus

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #11006 on May 15, 2021, 10:54:15 am by Bentley Bullet »

Alright.

Over and over, he doesn't learn. He's had people around him like Gove and Cummings pushing him to make the right choices. Not only is he not listening to the scientific advice, he's resistant to what his allies say.

There is no hindsight here. His mistakes are being picked up before he makes them. As it is now.

Alright.

ANYBODY can give an alternative view about what might happen, and sometimes it turns out that they were right, but you need hindsight to be proved right. It's dead easy to claim to be always right with your forecasts when you're only mentioning the occasions when your forecasts were right, and turning a blind eye when they were wrong, like, for instance, predicting it was too early to send the kids back to school - it will all kick off again. Where is your praise to Boris for being right in that instance?

There's no wonder you arrive at the hypothesis that Boris is not fit for the job if you're only counting the times he was wrong (in hindsight). People with political agendas like you believe what they want to believe to suit their agenda. It is a one-sided, distorted opinion, and one that history shouldn't rely on as any form of accuracy.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #11007 on May 15, 2021, 11:01:12 am by River Don »
I fail to see how it's hindsight when the results of his actions are predicted. I've lost count of how many times he's not acted quickly enough. At least 6 times probably more.

He got lucky with the decision to send kids back to school when he did. I admit I would have held off for a couple of weeks. What would have been lost? A couple of weeks lost education amongst the weeks and weeks of lost education. Many of the lost weeks due to Boris Johnson inaction that forced longer, more damaging lock downs than might otherwise have been.

His strike rate of getting it right is hopeless. He's a rubbish gambler.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #11008 on May 15, 2021, 11:12:20 am by Bentley Bullet »
It's easy to be an expert without responsibility. If you think Starmer would have been any more effective in handling the responsibility than he's shown in his piss poor performances in criticising those with it, you really need to give your head a wobble.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11009 on May 15, 2021, 11:16:36 am by SydneyRover »
It's easy to be an expert without responsibility. If you think Starmer would have been any more effective in handling the responsibility than he's shown in his piss poor performances in criticising those with it, you really need to give your head a wobble.

And RD was just talking about predictability, here we go bb, lost that one lets talk about something else?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012