Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 10:08:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 872575 times)

knockers

• Forum Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #12900 on July 21, 2021, 06:06:14 pm by knockers »
Gets popcorn out and waits for the usuals suspects to get their free punch in!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #12901 on July 21, 2021, 06:27:30 pm by normal rules »
The overall threat will be WAY lower next year, if only because more people will be vaccinated and the virus will find it harder to spread.

Until it mutates, again.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #12902 on July 21, 2021, 06:37:42 pm by normal rules »
The delta variant is more highly transmissible and having no problems seemingly getting around the populous currently. Even within those vaccinated.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #12903 on July 21, 2021, 06:47:51 pm by idler »
Was in the White Rose centre in Leeds today and we wore our masks and it seemed maybe 50/50 who did and didn’t. Went in a clothes shop and one of the assistants in there was saying they were short of staff. I asked if they were needing to recruit and she said no, a lot were in isolation.
She did have a mask on but not all assistants did.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #12904 on July 21, 2021, 06:55:35 pm by Ldr »
No probs Pib. Easy mistake to make. I make plenty in my posts.

Everyone does from time to time

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #12905 on July 21, 2021, 07:06:32 pm by Nudga »
Been following this thread all the way through but rarely posting on it, as I'm less clued up than many.

I don't mean this in an antagonistic way, but I'm curious as to what your response would be Nudga to the current situation? You've expressed an anti-lockdown and anti-covid vaccine stance throughout. I'm with you on some of the bullshit rules and how trust has been eroded massively by the way it has been handled politically, but I'm just interested to know what the alternatives would be if we didn't have lockdowns/jabs or both? As far as I can see the only other way is to let everyone catch it, which seems to me like it would be a disaster for hospitals, and obviously death tolls. I don't have extremely strong opinions though because I don't know enough about any alternatives and what they would be. I'd be curious to find out.

My personal stance, as I'm sure many others' is, is in between the two extremes. Not a perfect analogy but I view it a bit like driving. I passed a test, have a licence, keep my car maintained, hold insurance, and drive within the rules of the road... there will never be no risk to me or others, but as long as I take those precautions then I feel fine about driving every day.

By the same token I expect to be back at the Keepmoat for the Wimbledon game in a few weeks and hoping to go about my life as much as possible. I have followed the rules for the past 18 months (and continue to do so) and will have been double jabbed. There will never be no risk of catching the virus and getting ill, and others catching it as well, but having taken all the precautions available I feel that it is logical to return to living your life. Just the same as there being 25k people a year killed or seriously injured in road accidents, but still going out in the car every day.

If I have to show proof of my vaccines on an app before I can go into the Keepmoat, I'm OK with that too for the time being. To continue the analogy, I would expect to have to prove I have a driving licence if pulled over in the car as well.

Hi Pib, thanks for asking a reasonable question.

If you've followed this thread then you would see my reasons.
I'm going to politely decline on expanding any further because I can't be doing with being jumped on.
I'm also going to step back from posting and coming on the forum as much as its not really a healthy pass time.
I'm just going to pop in and check out the Rovers news.

Have a great day all.

Peace out, One Love.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #12906 on July 21, 2021, 07:56:19 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Was in the White Rose centre in Leeds today and we wore our masks and it seemed maybe 50/50 who did and didn’t. Went in a clothes shop and one of the assistants in there was saying they were short of staff. I asked if they were needing to recruit and she said no, a lot were in isolation.
She did have a mask on but not all assistants did.

Saw on the news places like harehills only 22% of adults vaccinated.  There is an element of race, culture etc to this too. At the cricket on Sunday it was noticeable how many of the Pakistan supporters were not wearing masks around the ground.

Cases in Doncaster are very high right now highest they have been. It's noticeable around my area how much quieter it is with people isolating etc.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12907 on July 21, 2021, 10:33:38 pm by SydneyRover »
freedom day, well sort of for, us we get our second jabs in about an hour or so.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #12908 on July 21, 2021, 10:38:26 pm by pib »
Been following this thread all the way through but rarely posting on it, as I'm less clued up than many.

I don't mean this in an antagonistic way, but I'm curious as to what your response would be Nudga to the current situation? You've expressed an anti-lockdown and anti-covid vaccine stance throughout. I'm with you on some of the bullshit rules and how trust has been eroded massively by the way it has been handled politically, but I'm just interested to know what the alternatives would be if we didn't have lockdowns/jabs or both? As far as I can see the only other way is to let everyone catch it, which seems to me like it would be a disaster for hospitals, and obviously death tolls. I don't have extremely strong opinions though because I don't know enough about any alternatives and what they would be. I'd be curious to find out.

My personal stance, as I'm sure many others' is, is in between the two extremes. Not a perfect analogy but I view it a bit like driving. I passed a test, have a licence, keep my car maintained, hold insurance, and drive within the rules of the road... there will never be no risk to me or others, but as long as I take those precautions then I feel fine about driving every day.

By the same token I expect to be back at the Keepmoat for the Wimbledon game in a few weeks and hoping to go about my life as much as possible. I have followed the rules for the past 18 months (and continue to do so) and will have been double jabbed. There will never be no risk of catching the virus and getting ill, and others catching it as well, but having taken all the precautions available I feel that it is logical to return to living your life. Just the same as there being 25k people a year killed or seriously injured in road accidents, but still going out in the car every day.

If I have to show proof of my vaccines on an app before I can go into the Keepmoat, I'm OK with that too for the time being. To continue the analogy, I would expect to have to prove I have a driving licence if pulled over in the car as well.

Hi Pib, thanks for asking a reasonable question.

If you've followed this thread then you would see my reasons.
I'm going to politely decline on expanding any further because I can't be doing with being jumped on.
I'm also going to step back from posting and coming on the forum as much as its not really a healthy pass time.
I'm just going to pop in and check out the Rovers news.

Have a great day all.

Peace out, One Love.

Fair enough Nudga. I have followed your posts and maybe my memory fails me, but it was more the alternatives I was curious about rather than your reasons for taking your stance, which I have read and think I understand.

I’m not trying to be antagonistic at all or get into any sort of argument. Not really arsed about all that. I was just curious as you’ve probably been one of the more vocal posters on this thread at times.

Anyway I respect your stance to not comment any further and to step away from posting. I certainly feel the same at times in that regard and think most of us could benefit from taking a step back from this site at times.

All the best and let’s hope whatever our views we can all get back to living our lives and watching Rovers ASAP.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #12909 on July 21, 2021, 11:54:05 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
This is a brilliant little bit of very dimple maths on the effectiveness of the vaccination program.
https://mobile.twitter.com/PaulMainwood/status/1417365020497883148

TL:dr.

The vaccines are over 90% effective at keeping people out of hospital. If we hadn't had them, we'd be in hard lockdown now. We owe massive credit to everyone involved in running this program, Govt included of course.

But it doesn't mean we are out of the woods yet, if the infections keep rocketing upwards.

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
« Reply #12910 on July 22, 2021, 07:30:23 am by no eyed deer »
How many on here a thick enough to still be using the NHS App. In a time when most adults are double vaccinated, the country is going to grind to a halt.

Let's have a bit a WW2 spirit and grow some balls

Far to many are pointing fingers.. if you want to wear mask , vaccinate and so on good, but dont class others as irresponsible. Some what to keep what little liberties they have left.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #12911 on July 22, 2021, 07:45:18 am by Filo »
How many on here a thick enough to still be using the NHS App. In a time when most adults are double vaccinated, the country is going to grind to a halt.

Far to many are pointing fingers.. if you want to wear mask , vaccinate and so on good, but dont class others as irresponsible. Some what to keep what little liberties they have left.

The WW2 spirit was to comply with regulations the Govt imposed, not go against them, War time regulations we’re in force for nearly 6 years, the WW2 spirit helped this Country to come out of the other side

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12912 on July 22, 2021, 08:57:37 am by SydneyRover »

Not pointing fingers at the 'thick enough' then?

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #12913 on July 22, 2021, 09:15:02 am by Metalmicky »

If you want to grow some balls mate then fair enough - but don't confuse that with WW2 spirit...

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #12914 on July 22, 2021, 11:26:34 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Tuesday: The Govt will not be drawing up a list of key workers who will not have to self isolate if pinged.
https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-employers-will-have-to-apply-for-isolation-exemption-for-pinged-workers-as-govt-rules-out-critical-jobs-list-12359593

Thursday: The Govt will today publish a list of key workers who will not have to self isolate if pinged.
https://www.itv.com/news/2021-07-22/covid-list-of-jobs-exempt-from-coronavirus-self-isolation-rules-will-be-released-today

Anyone get the feeling this Freedom Day thing hasn't really been thought through?

"Be jolly careful. It's your own responsibility. You must self isolate if you are pinged, in order to stop this wave growing out of control.

"What? Train drivers? No of course YOU don't have to self isolate if pinged. Eh? Supermarket shelves not getting filled because of the number of lorry drivers isolating? What the f**k are THEY isolating for?

"What's that? Can you have a list of which workers do and don't have to self isolate? No, we are relying on your responsibility and common sense and we will not be publishing a list. Or maybe we will in a couple of days."
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 11:59:24 am by BillyStubbsTears »

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12915 on July 22, 2021, 11:40:23 am by SydneyRover »
this is a bit 'ground hog day' for me

''NSW government let residents decide if they are essential workers'' 14/7/21

Use your common sense they said until they had to publish an explanation days later, that is.

https://healthtimes.com.au/hub/covid-19/74/news/aap/nsw-government-let-residents-decide-if-they-are-essential-workers/6010/

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #12916 on July 22, 2021, 12:00:24 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
This WW2 spirit. Did it involve having bonfire parties that showed the Luftwaffe where built up areas were?

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #12917 on July 22, 2021, 12:04:22 pm by DonnyNoel »
Referenced in another thread but Australia and NZ to pull out of Rugby Leage World Cup due to player safety. Interesting to see if that gets pushed to 2022.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #12918 on July 22, 2021, 12:11:38 pm by Filo »
This WW2 spirit. Did it involve having bonfire parties that showed the Luftwaffe where built up areas were?

People ditching blackout curtains and gas masks so they could get on with living there life

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12919 on July 22, 2021, 02:35:10 pm by belton rover »
People ignoring Churchill and  and waiting for Billy to tell them what to do.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #12920 on July 22, 2021, 02:42:44 pm by Axholme Lion »

Why anyone would want an app that can snoop on you is beyond me. I don't do smart phones, but i have my vaccination certificate and that should be good enough. Surely it's better that more people get covid now if they're vaccinated so we can get it out of the way before winter. My life is passing me by here, there's always an element of risk involved in anything you do

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12921 on July 22, 2021, 03:09:42 pm by ravenrover »
When you say certificate do you mean the card they gave you when you had your jabs?

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #12922 on July 22, 2021, 03:19:45 pm by Metalmicky »
When you say certificate do you mean the card they gave you when you had your jabs?

I think he means he's been certified..... :lol:

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12923 on July 22, 2021, 04:14:09 pm by bpoolrover »
Strange numbers today 39k cases seems lower than expected, 84 deaths unfortunately

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #12924 on July 22, 2021, 05:21:13 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Strange numbers today 39k cases seems lower than expected, 84 deaths unfortunately

If that 39k is the start of a sustained drop in the rate of increase in new cases that would be absolutely brilliant news. Too early to tell.

My guess is it is down to kids' holidays so fewer school contacts. But that is likely to be at least balanced out by the relaxation of rules for everyone else. Hope I'm wrong and the new case number really do start falling.

Deaths will inevitably keep on rising for a while even so because on average, those reported as dying today caught the virus a couple or three weeks ago. So the next 2-3 weeks of rises in deaths is baked in. It'll top out at at least 100 per day early next month, even if cases really have peaked.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #12925 on July 22, 2021, 05:21:31 pm by albie »
I think there is a basic problem with people thinking this phase will map out as the earlier phases of infection did....this is unlikely.

The focus in the earlier wave was to protect the most vulnerable, this was done by vaccinating down through the age range.

The UK is not at the vax level that means we can stop spread of infection through vax alone, so the priority now becomes transmission rates. Keep on increasing the numbers inoculated, but buy time by slowing the growth in transmission.

"Freedom Day" is absolute bollox looked at from this perspective.
It makes matters very much worse at the time you need to hold the line.

Good article from Bill Hanage here;
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jul/22/england-covid-response-uk-us-delta
How the UK looks to someone not based here is an interesting read.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #12926 on July 22, 2021, 05:26:28 pm by drfchound »
Albie, we read every day about how the uk is viewed by someone not living here, but thanks for the link.

On “freedom day”, surely “responsibility day” would be a better way of describing 19th July.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #12927 on July 22, 2021, 05:28:39 pm by drfchound »

If that 39k is the start of a sustained drop in the rate of increase in new cases that would be absolutely brilliant news. Too early to tell.

My guess is it is down to kids' holidays so fewer school contacts. But that is likely to be at least balanced out by the relaxation of rules for everyone else. Hope I'm wrong and the new case number really do start falling.

Deaths will inevitably keep on rising for a while even so because on average, those reported as dying today caught the virus a couple or three weeks ago. So the next 2-3 weeks of rises in deaths is baked in. It'll top out at at least 100 per day early next month, even if cases really have peaked.

BST, do you think that the government might have picked 19th July BECAUSE of the fewer school contacts due to school holidays starting?

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #12928 on July 22, 2021, 05:37:13 pm by albie »
Albie, we read every day about how the uk is viewed by someone not living here, but thanks for the link.

On “freedom day”, surely “responsibility day” would be a better way of describing 19th July.

But not from someone with the standing of Professor Hanage, Hound!

We know personal responsibility cannot work, because it only takes a small proportion to opt out to derail the whole strategy......go to Tesco to see that for yourself.
It is just a con trick, to shift the blame from government for their lack of effective planning.

There is a bigger issue pushing through, because the threshold needed to reach HI is further away with more infections circulating.
https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-why-hasnt-herd-immunity-stopped-covid

The increased transmissability of Delta, and the vulnerability of about 30% of the UK population, means we might need to do more, faster, to get to infection decline.

That also assumes no new breakout variant, which is encouraged by the current conditions.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 05:41:39 pm by albie »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #12929 on July 22, 2021, 05:41:56 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

BST, do you think that the government might have picked 19th July BECAUSE of the fewer school contacts due to school holidays starting?

Yes of course they have. But that is one and only one parameter. In itself, in terms of the role of kids in spreading the virus, choosing that date is optimal. Whether that date is optimal for the overall picture of trying to minimise the threat of this wave is very, very unlikely. But obviously I very much hope it is.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012