Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:48:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 872233 times)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #13470 on August 29, 2021, 08:16:45 pm by drfchound »
There are people who have different beliefs to the majority.
Is it right to ridicule them.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #13471 on August 29, 2021, 08:46:57 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I was talking the other day about the batshit Trumpist leadership in the Deep South taking them into an avoidable disaster.

This. Just...WHAT?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/tate-reeves-says-mississippians-less-scared-covid-because-they-believe-eternal-life-1624014%3famp=1
while of course it's a load of crap you could say that in this country as there are many
Religious people in this country that won't have the jab, my mate lives in Blackburn and he reckons on the estate he lives in he doubts very few if any will have had the jab

The issue isn't whether individuals choose to cut short their lives.

It's about an elected leader using a line like this to distract from the catastrophic policy he has implemented which is wreaking carnage in his state.

"Nothing to do with me. It's people being cool about dying, cos, eternal life."

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13472 on August 29, 2021, 09:08:11 pm by wilts rover »
How Europe has overtaken the UK in vaccinating it's citizens - and is better prepared for the future. In that lefty rag - The Daily Telegraph:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/europe-pulling-ahead-britain-great-covid-race/

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13473 on August 29, 2021, 09:16:16 pm by wilts rover »
though we are well ahead in cases and infections

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13474 on August 29, 2021, 09:27:48 pm by bpoolrover »
The government can't win when it comes to vaccinations, the only way to get them higher would be threaten the younger age group with not going nightclubs do what Germany say will do and say can't go hairdressers ect but there is uproar in this country if anything like that is said

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #13475 on August 29, 2021, 09:35:20 pm by River Don »
They could vaccinated 12-15 year olds. That's in the pipeline now.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #13476 on August 29, 2021, 09:51:10 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
They couldn't prior to now. Because we hadn't ordered the vaccines suitable for 12-15 year olds. Most countries in the EU had the vaccine a while ago and have been vaccinating 12-15 year olds well before us. 

And these things happen. But it's a mistake that needs to be weighed in the balance when considering our overall vaccination programme performance.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13477 on August 30, 2021, 12:40:07 am by bpoolrover »
What I saw was the government had not received any more on the matter from jcvi or is that wrong? Or do people want the government to overrule them or not listen?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13478 on August 30, 2021, 12:53:02 am by SydneyRover »
I think most reasonable people would be happy to see consistency from the government, open about the information and advice it gets and erring on the side of caution when it comes to peoples lives, especially those that work in health care.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #13479 on August 30, 2021, 01:22:10 am by BillyStubbsTears »
What I saw was the government had not received any more on the matter from jcvi or is that wrong? Or do people want the government to overrule them or not listen?

JCVI ruling that we shouldn't be vaccinating 12-15 year olds stands out pretty much uniquely in the developed world. All across Europe and the USA they have been vaccinating down to 12 year olds with the Pfizer vaccine for weeks. We stand out, ostensibly because of safety fears, but there's been no explanation about why we see the data differently to the EU and USA. I'm sure it's coincidence that we hadn't previously ordered  enough Pfizer vaccine to cover this age group. I wonder if, when the next Pfizer delivery comes next month, JCVI will then find that it is OK for 12-15 year olds?

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13480 on August 30, 2021, 01:29:57 am by bpoolrover »
That is just a guess thou bst, if boris said today without the jcvi say so to vaccinate all 12-15 year olds and it went wrong you would be in uproar if anything went wrong! People woukd be calling for manslaughter charges and all sorts

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #13481 on August 30, 2021, 07:59:24 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Actually this is right. The bigger threat to our safety long term is not 12 year olds but failing to vaccinate other countries.  The better thing to do is provide other countries with vaccines, that's what most scientists claim.

You can't say it's follow the science one way then not in another to suit your anti government agenda.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #13482 on August 30, 2021, 08:32:16 am by selby »
  Well I got my notification of a booster jab and flu jab Friday from the NHS, so that is going ahead.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13483 on August 30, 2021, 09:10:04 am by wilts rover »
And why it matters - study from Israel showing waning protection from vaccinations. Re-infection of vaccnated people more than doubled in August:

https://twitter.com/dvir_a/status/1431898057331945472

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13484 on August 30, 2021, 09:11:24 am by wilts rover »
The government can't win when it comes to vaccinations, the only way to get them higher would be threaten the younger age group with not going nightclubs do what Germany say will do and say can't go hairdressers ect but there is uproar in this country if anything like that is said

Its what happens when you have a government that consistently lies to you - people dont know what to believe. And we all suffer.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #13485 on August 30, 2021, 11:15:07 am by River Don »
Actually this is right. The bigger threat to our safety long term is not 12 year olds but failing to vaccinate other countries.  The better thing to do is provide other countries with vaccines, that's what most scientists claim.

You can't say it's follow the science one way then not in another to suit your anti government agenda.

It's a bit debatable. I know the argument is 12 to 15 year old are less affected by the virus, so instead send vaccines to those who need protection abroad. Fine.

But if we want to significantly lower the circulation of the virus in this country, then we need a very high level of immunity to achieve herd immunity, then we need above 90% of the population vaccinated, in which case we need to vaccinated younger age groups.

Given the choice of protecting more vulnerable people internationally or surpressing the spread of the virus in the UK, many in the medical community plump for the international option.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13486 on August 30, 2021, 11:35:06 am by SydneyRover »

It's a bit debatable. I know the argument is 12 to 15 year old are less affected by the virus, so instead send vaccines to those who need protection abroad. Fine.

But if we want to significantly lower the circulation of the virus in this country, then we need a very high level of immunity to achieve herd immunity, then we need above 90% of the population vaccinated, in which case we need to vaccinated younger age groups.

Given the choice of protecting more vulnerable people internationally or surpressing the spread of the virus in the UK, many in the medical community plump for the international option.

Every wealthy country should be able to do both, pour money into vaccine manufacture, get their own population done afap and supply countries that struggle with cost.

• VSC Member
« Reply #13487 on August 30, 2021, 11:37:30 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Every wealthy country should be able to do both, pour money into vaccine manufacture, get their own population done afap and supply countries that struggle with cost.

Clearly not or it would have happened by now. There is a question as to if it's possible anyway given you can't control many countries (Afghanistan, Syria, North Korea and many more).

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #13488 on August 30, 2021, 11:38:45 am by selby »
This years flu campaign will be commencing from September and this will be coordinated with  the Covid booster vaccinations. part of a text sent to me  last Friday.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #13489 on August 30, 2021, 11:43:51 am by BillyStubbsTears »

BFYP.
My point is, why is OUR scientific assessment so far out of line with the USA and EU.

And do you honestly think we didn't  secure Pfizer jabs because the Govt had an altruistic wish to see people in Burundi get vaccinated? Honestly?

What has happened is very simple (and I'm making no value judgement here, it's just simple fact).

We prioritised securing the AZ vaccine. Turns out the health case for giving that one to kids really doesn't stack up. And as a result, we've ended up very short of the Pfizer vaccine. I'm not criticising the Govt for this. Just pointing out the facts. They made a call on what to prioritise. On this one, events have shown it to be wrong but I'm not sure they should be critised for that. Equally, we shouldn't ignore or try to explain it away with fluffy unicorn arguments about helping other countries.

As I say, it's a near enough slam dunk that the JCVI guidance will change when the next big Pfizer delivery comes in next month.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #13490 on August 30, 2021, 03:43:50 pm by dickos1 »
You're quite something Dickos. Constantly changing the terms of the discussion, totally ignoring your utterly wrong previous opinions, turning a blind eye to facts and then claiming you are right. 

I think most of the world has been wrong regards covid, you keep bringing up something I said 19 months ago yet you’ve been consistently wrong over the last few weeks.
Anyhow I’m not changing the terms of the discussion I’m pointing out USA doesn’t have it under control and England isn’t doing as badly as you’re trying to portray to everyone
Your attitude 19 months ago, when some of us were warning where things were going was smug, condescending and dangerously wrong. You refused to even consider COVID as a serious threat. If policy had been guided by people with your attitude, 2020 would have been a catastrophe like you cannot imagine.

But you ignore that. You don't reflect on how appallingly badly you called that, and how you insulted and belittled people who were (correctly) warning people what was coming. Not a word of apology or self awareness. Just launch into the next argument.

I’m pretty certain I didn’t belittle anyone, and I’m definitely certain I didn’t insult anyone.
Smug and condescending, nope pretty certain that never happened either!

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #13491 on August 30, 2021, 03:45:40 pm by River Don »

I think it's more a question of logistics. They can't manufacture the stuff fast enough and it takes time to build enough new facilities to increase capacity.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #13492 on August 30, 2021, 03:46:14 pm by dickos1 »
In this current discussion, I've said, repeatedly, with evidence, that in MOST of America, the outbreak in terms of new cases is reasonably well under control. The overall USA numbers are not good and that is due to the fact that the Deep South is seeing an outbreak that is utterly out of control and has been allowed to get that way by insane libertarian policies from Trumpist state leaders.

Every word of that is fact and supported by the evidence.

But you are impossible to have an evidence-based discussion with. Because you decide your conclusion before you start. Then you look for any shred of evidence, however unrepresentative, to back that up, ignoring the mass of contradictory evidence. And when that fails you say "Well come back in 5 years and see. I'll be right then." Ignoring how utterly, totally, dangerously wrong you were when this all started.

As dangerously wrong as attempting to convince everyone we would be having hundreds of thousands of cases by now and hundred of deaths. It’s a good job we knew it was codswallop otherwise we’d all be barricaded in our homes right now

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #13493 on August 30, 2021, 03:47:17 pm by dickos1 »
In this current discussion, I've said, repeatedly, with evidence, that in MOST of America, the outbreak in terms of new cases is reasonably well under control. The overall USA numbers are not good and that is due to the fact that the Deep South is seeing an outbreak that is utterly out of control and has been allowed to get that way by insane libertarian policies from Trumpist state leaders.

But you are impossible to have an evidence-based discussion with. Because you decide your conclusion before you start. Then you look for any shred of evidence, however unrepresentative, to back that up, ignoring the mass of contradictory evidence. And when that fails you say "Well come back in 5 years and see. I'll be right then." Ignoring how utterly, totally, dangerously wrong you were when this all started.

California is not the Deep South

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13494 on August 30, 2021, 03:51:31 pm by bpoolrover »
I read that Scotland's cases have doubled each week since they relaxed there restrictions, not since reopened schools so again gives a bit of hope that our numbers won't rise dramatically

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #13495 on August 30, 2021, 03:59:32 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

As dangerously wrong as attempting to convince everyone we would be having hundreds of thousands of cases by now and hundred of deaths. It’s a good job we knew it was codswallop otherwise we’d all be barricaded in our homes right now

Way, WAY more dangerously wrong. If you don't understand why, then I'm baffled as to how to point it out to you.

PS. I never once said that we would be having hundreds of thousands of cases by now. I never once said or even hinted we should be barricaded in homes. It is THIS approach that makes you impossible to deal with.  If you are going to make a case, make it on facts, not imagination.

• VSC Member
« Reply #13496 on August 30, 2021, 04:27:57 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
But, is it fine to have cases in kids? We've relaxed restrictions yet are maintaining a relatively stable case level (England broadly unchanged over 3 weeks) with basically no restrictions left that's not too bad is it?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #13497 on August 30, 2021, 04:51:11 pm by drfchound »

Way, WAY more dangerously wrong. If you don't understand why, then I'm baffled as to how to point it out to you.

PS. I never once said that we would be having hundreds of thousands of cases by now. I never once said or even hinted we should be barricaded in homes. It is THIS approach that makes you impossible to deal with.  If you are going to make a case, make it on facts, not imagination.

Dickos didn’t suggest that you had said we should be barricaded into our homes.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #13498 on August 30, 2021, 04:56:46 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
BFYP
It is about what is necessary for Herd Immunity.

Because of the 10-15% of adults refusing vaccination, we are not at HI. And so we've got 4-5000 deaths per month and several thousand hospital beds taken up for a long time. Vaccinating teens gives us a fighting chance of getting R below 1 and starting to get those numbers down.

It'd be grand if we could rely on all adults to be grown up, then it might not be necessary, but that's where we are.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #13499 on August 30, 2021, 05:02:01 pm by dickos1 »

Although you did state we would be having over 2000 deaths a week in august from covid
20,000 people in hospital beds in august with covid

If anyone was mad enough to believe those predictions they wouldn’t dare leave the house that’s my point, not that you’d told people to do so

TinyPortal © 2005-2012