Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:49:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 860306 times)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #13980 on October 17, 2021, 10:58:02 pm by Bentley Bullet »
What was your comment between April and June Wilts? Negative by any chance?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13981 on October 17, 2021, 10:58:17 pm by wilts rover »
This has been a fascinating social experiment.

If we all wore masks in busy public situations, thousands fewer people would die. We wouldn't know them or have any connection with them, but there WOULD be many people who would live.

Now. Imagine going back 2 years. Imagine being told that you had the choice between a relatively minor inconvenience that would save the lives of anonymous strangers. Or choosing not to inconvenience yourself, in which case strangers would be killed, quietly and privately.

And imagine that person you were choosing to let the strangers die.

I am genuinely disgusted by the lazy, self-centred lack of care and responsibility for fellow humans that so many have shown. I honestly thought we were better than this.

It is fascinating Billy. Most other countries in the developed world have kept covid restrictions in place to lower the number of infections and therefore deaths - to look after the health of their people.

The Johnson government has let covid run wild with subsequents infections, illnesses and deaths as reported.

And a certain section of the UK public support that. Fascinating.

Fascism comes in small steps until the public are conditioned to act against their own interests - history tells us that time and time again.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13982 on October 17, 2021, 11:01:25 pm by wilts rover »
What was your comment between April and June Wilts? Negative by any chance?

Several comments actually - just look back on the thread.

I dont think they were negative but as someone who refuses to criticise anything this government does - you aint the best person to judge are you?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #13983 on October 17, 2021, 11:05:14 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Well, seeing as I ain't the best person to judge, you tell me the positive things you said twixt April and June.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13984 on October 17, 2021, 11:32:08 pm by SydneyRover »
Well, seeing as I ain't the best person to judge, you tell me the positive things you said twixt April and June.

as the accuser I would have thought it would be up to you to find and show the negative comments bb, just a thought is all

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #13985 on October 17, 2021, 11:42:45 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
This has been a fascinating social experiment.

If we all wore masks in busy public situations, thousands fewer people would die. We wouldn't know them or have any connection with them, but there WOULD be many people who would live.

Now. Imagine going back 2 years. Imagine being told that you had the choice between a relatively minor inconvenience that would save the lives of anonymous strangers. Or choosing not to inconvenience yourself, in which case strangers would be killed, quietly and privately.

And imagine that person you were choosing to let the strangers die.

I am genuinely disgusted by the lazy, self-centred lack of care and responsibility for fellow humans that so many have shown. I honestly thought we were better than this.

It is fascinating Billy. Most other countries in the developed world have kept covid restrictions in place to lower the number of infections and therefore deaths - to look after the health of their people.

The Johnson government has let covid run wild with subsequents infections, illnesses and deaths as reported.

And a certain section of the UK public support that. Fascinating.

Fascism comes in small steps until the public are conditioned to act against their own interests - history tells us that time and time again.

And here's the big worry.

There's growing evidence that the vaccine protection starts to wear off rapidly after 5 months or so. Especially for the AZ vaccine which we have used extensively. We aren't giving boosters very quickly and now very many millions of older people (myself included) are increasingly at risk. Just as, through chosen policy, our cases are quickly climbing back up towards the highest levels they have previously hit.

I'm getting an increasing sense of foreboding about the next few months.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #13986 on October 17, 2021, 11:55:04 pm by Bentley Bullet »
With your track record that's very encouraging.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13987 on October 18, 2021, 12:01:59 am by bpoolrover »
Not sure it's proven yet how long the protection lasts some scientists say it last longer than some others maybe not to the same level but still enough to stop serious illness, also it's not that there not giving boosters quickly as the can only give them six months after your last one, so in the next month they should rapidly speed them up

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #13988 on October 18, 2021, 12:08:02 am by Bentley Bullet »
Funny how the speed of the vaccines wasn't down to the government when it was world leading fast, but now it's slowed down it'll be the governments  fault!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #13989 on October 18, 2021, 01:19:51 am by BillyStubbsTears »
No-one has said anything about responsibility for the booster programme.

But here's BB once again politicising the issue, from his saddle in his high horse where he fights the good fight against any criticism of the way we have managed COVID.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13990 on October 18, 2021, 07:52:42 am by SydneyRover »
panto horse, rear

KeithMyath

• Forum Member
« Reply #13991 on October 18, 2021, 08:19:47 am by KeithMyath »
More like the The lone ranger and his untrustworthy companion Bojo

panto horse, rear

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #13992 on October 18, 2021, 09:18:30 am by drfchound »
Not sure it's proven yet how long the protection lasts some scientists say it last longer than some others maybe not to the same level but still enough to stop serious illness, also it's not that there not giving boosters quickly as the can only give them six months after your last one, so in the next month they should rapidly speed them up

Me and my wife have had a text asking us to book in for our booster jabs, just six months after we had the second one back in April.
I reckon that is pretty good.
Also, on the point of how long will the original jabs protect people, well I guess that hindsight will tell us, as usual.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 05:46:55 pm by drfchound »

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #13993 on October 18, 2021, 06:02:51 pm by River Don »
Within spitting distance of 50,000 cases a day now.

How hard is it to wear a face mask in indoor public spaces?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #13994 on October 18, 2021, 06:59:30 pm by scawsby steve »
I said right at the beginning that the vaccines wouldn't get rid of this virus. Nothing will, because it's got the scientists f*cked.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13995 on October 18, 2021, 07:19:52 pm by bpoolrover »

do
You think that will work thou? Masks inside and 60k at football matches  link=topic=275849.msg1096265#msg1096265 date=1634576571]

[/quote]

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #13996 on October 18, 2021, 07:43:07 pm by River Don »
Yes BP,

I'm absolutely sure mask wearing indoors would slow down the rate of infections.

And it would do it with very little effort.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13997 on October 18, 2021, 07:56:00 pm by bpoolrover »
Yes BP,

I'm absolutely sure mask wearing indoors would slow down the rate of infections.

The only way to enforce mask wearing indoors
Would be bring other restrictions in with it, like in other countries mask wearing indoors with having no restrictions in pubs and at football would not work

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #13998 on October 18, 2021, 08:01:39 pm by River Don »
Yes BP,

The only way to enforce mask wearing indoors
Would be bring other restrictions in with it, like in other countries mask wearing indoors with having no restrictions in pubs and at football would not work

We have to be realistic. We have to eat for instance. We don't want pubs and restaurants to go out of business.

But anything we can do easily to slow the spread we should do. So, public transport, masks. Shopping, masks. Cinema, masks. Offices, masks. Infact if we can avoid the office we should.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13999 on October 18, 2021, 08:25:27 pm by bpoolrover »
The directive has always been to wear a mask where can't social distance anyway, and on most trains now it says it's mandatory to wear a face covering and no one listens to it hardly

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #14000 on October 18, 2021, 09:29:42 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
The directive has always been to wear a mask where can't social distance anyway, and on most trains now it says it's mandatory to wear a face covering and no one listens to it hardly

And this is where setting examples comes in. Which is why I have been genuinely shocked to see packed benches in Parliament with not a single Tory MP wearing a mask.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #14001 on October 18, 2021, 09:43:21 pm by albie »
The mood music has all been about returning to normal, and many have lowered their guard.
Which is precisely the wrong thing to do!

It is not only the rising number of cases that cause concern, alongside that is a new strain with higher rate of infection;
https://www.ft.com/content/f1ec9d5d-9e02-4cc4-95e7-1dcbb1844d43
This "son of Delta" is said to be 10% of new UK cases.

Not looking too clever, certainly for those unvaccinated, and the numptocrats in Bozo's administration are not likely to have any easy answers!

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14002 on October 18, 2021, 09:45:50 pm by bpoolrover »
Have you seen the Concourses at rovers matches next to no masks? I have been in many offices ect and am yet to see any people wearing a mask, what would be the point in parliament if they are then going get on a train or in a pub or to a football match, you have to be realistic, I would agree with you if you said get football back behind closed doors and went the whole hog the rest is pointless

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14003 on October 18, 2021, 09:48:31 pm by bpoolrover »
The mood music has all been about returning to normal, and many have lowered their guard.
Which is precisely the wrong thing to do!

It is not only the rising number of cases that cause concern, alongside that is a new strain with higher rate of infection;
https://www.ft.com/content/f1ec9d5d-9e02-4cc4-95e7-1dcbb1844d43
This "son of Delta" is said to be 10% of new UK cases.

Not looking too clever, certainly for those unvaccinated, and the numptocrats in Bozo's administration are not likely to have any easy answers!
at the minute they don't seem to think the delta plus is of much concern let's hope stays that way

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #14004 on October 18, 2021, 09:54:20 pm by albie »
Blackpool,

The key point is whether the new strain is capable of resisting the current vaccines....we don't know yet!

I agree that we all hope that is not the case.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14005 on October 18, 2021, 10:10:37 pm by SydneyRover »
There is also the fact that scientists have not stopped working to produce better vaccines, they came up with those currently being used in record time, it's entirely possible there may be one the will last longer, act quicker, who knows. I think we'll get to a point of self administration to roll them out more speedily.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14006 on October 18, 2021, 10:54:40 pm by bpoolrover »
Blackpool,

The key point is whether the new strain is capable of resisting the current vaccines....we don't know yet!

I agree that we all hope that is not the case.
yes but many of the ones I read seemed to think there is no reason to think they will at the minute

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #14007 on October 18, 2021, 11:40:03 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
A fag paper short of 50k cases reported on a Monday, when cases are normally low (because Monday's reported figures are actually cases that were logged on Sunday) is shocking. It's the second highest Monday figure of the whole epidemic, beaten only by 4 January when the second wave was out of control.

Doubtless many of these are schoolkids, and as Bpool points out, hopefully half term will help to slow this. But the fact that hospitalisations and deaths are already rising again says that the spread has already got out into the wider community, and those numbers will almost certainly carry on going up for the next few weeks even if schoolkids' cases do fall.

A few weeks ago it was reported that the Govt had been advised to bring in more severe distancing measures if deaths looked like going above 150/day for an extended period. That's now looking very likely for November. And once again we appear to be behind the curve.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #14008 on October 19, 2021, 06:04:48 am by Donnywolf »

And this is where setting examples comes in. Which is why I have been genuinely shocked to see packed benches in Parliament with not a single Tory MP wearing a mask.

Well for total accuracy I did actually see 3 on the Govt Benches in one shot and I was a bit shocked as I "imagined" they had a collective view on going without masks to "reinforce" that Covid is behind us / in the rear view mirror / on the run - or whatever other label they want to use

The stats / anecdotes / Social media and oh yes the ONS Daily figures say with almost 50000 cases t'other day and 900 to 1000 dying each week - this is far from over

I know which I am minded to believe

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14009 on October 19, 2021, 04:29:38 pm by bpoolrover »

Well for total accuracy I did actually see 3 on the Govt Benches in one shot and I was a bit shocked as I "imagined" they had a collective view on going without masks to "reinforce" that Covid is behind us / in the rear view mirror / on the run - or whatever other label they want to use

The stats / anecdotes / Social media and oh yes the ONS Daily figures say with almost 50000 cases t'other day and 900 to 1000 dying each week - this is far from over

I know which I am minded to believe
again why do you not moan about all the rovers fans that gather in pubs and on concourses wearing no masks, hugging and kissing random people when we score the odd goal are they not more likely to pass around the virus?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012