Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:03:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 870305 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #150 on March 04, 2020, 02:14:35 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
No. I live in a world where I go into things with my eyes open.

You reckon I WANT us to lose a tenth of our wealth and a hundredth of our population? Really?

What I want is for people in the country to start listening to folk who know their shit on these things, and start taking action to avoid these outcomes. I suspect I'll end up disappointed though, because we are living in an era where we are being told not to trust experts and to trust their gut instincts.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #151 on March 04, 2020, 02:15:22 pm by Ldr »
80 odd now just announced btw

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #152 on March 04, 2020, 02:19:56 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
80 odd now just announced btw

As I keep saying. It's not the  absolute numbers that matter at this stage. It's the rate that it's doubling at. 6 days ago it was about 20. So it's doubling every three days. We HAVE to get that rate down or it's going to be a very bad outcome.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #153 on March 04, 2020, 02:22:56 pm by Ldr »
Agreed, suspect at this stage panic is more of an issue though, already seeing panic buying in stores

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #154 on March 04, 2020, 02:32:03 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
It's not "more" of an issue. There is no issue more important than us doing what we need to do to stop this spreading so fast.

Washing hands. Covering face when you sneeze. Avoid unnecessary contact and crowds. 

Simple stuff. Which is why it was so depressing to see our PM yesterday boasting that he'd been going round shaking hands with staff at a virus isolation ward. d**khead that he is.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #155 on March 04, 2020, 04:32:32 pm by drfchound »
BST, will you be going to any football matches over the next few weeks.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #156 on March 04, 2020, 05:17:42 pm by selby »
  29 of the thirty four announced today have a direct link to foreign travel either themselves or an associate mostly to Italy.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #157 on March 04, 2020, 05:50:05 pm by selby »
  Like Israel we should be putting restrictions on travel to some EU and foreign countries

knockers

• Forum Member
« Reply #158 on March 04, 2020, 05:50:17 pm by knockers »
Pretty much every person that goes in the west stand bogs walks straight out. We’ve no chance of getting this type of person to change their filthy routine.
Unfortunately this is the world we live in and you’ve just got to look after yourself!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #159 on March 04, 2020, 06:16:09 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
BST, will you be going to any football matches over the next few weeks.

Probably not Hound. I'm not here for the Wimbledon match. Next home game is early April and we might be in a different place by then.

Like, 13th.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #160 on March 04, 2020, 06:17:43 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
  Like Israel we should be putting restrictions on travel to some EU and foreign countries

Except it doesn't work. Research shows that if you stop 99% of travellers, it only delays the peak of an outbreak by a week or two. But granted, it does appeal to folk who want to blame foreigners.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #161 on March 04, 2020, 06:19:00 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
And in the meantime, the economic costs are collosal.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #162 on March 04, 2020, 06:41:18 pm by Copps is Magic »
Urge everyone to continue listenting to the experts very closely. Including the two professors on the video in this link.

These figures such as 80% infected and 1% mortality rate really need to be situated in a lot lot of context.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/world/deaths-from-covid-19-more-likely-among-the-elderly-985520.html

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #163 on March 04, 2020, 07:41:14 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I'm still not too concerned but we shouldn't be flippant that it's ok to lose the elderly or people with existing conditions. It has profound impacts for us all and we are right to be wary.

Equally the balance between control and economics is huge as the indirect effect from that could end up far bigger.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #164 on March 04, 2020, 08:05:28 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
CiM.

Agreed, the 80% figure is the top end.

But in a normal flu outbreak, apparently 15% of the population catch flu. And that is an infection that we have some degree of natural immunity to.

As I say, the 60% figure I've mentioned was quoted by Neil Ferguson as a reasonable estimate. He said back in February "Given how transmissible this virus appears to be and the fact that at least all adults can be infected – we have much less data in children – then 60% is a reasonable figure for the epidemic size."

In fairness, he did say that it was difficult to predict at this stage.

60% of the population is, of course "a lot lower than 80%" so that's not contradicting Chris Whitty's words yesterday.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #165 on March 04, 2020, 08:46:12 pm by SydneyRover »
This is one such expert .............

''Whitty’s calm and measured approach, a prerequisite for any professional dealing in evidence, seems to have come as a shock to some commentators in the Westminster bubble. “He is properly impressive,” one journalist told the website Politico''

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/mar/04/prof-chris-whitty-the-expert-we-need-in-the-coronavirus-crisis

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #166 on March 04, 2020, 10:15:41 pm by Nudga »
It's all f**kin bullshit. Big Pharma gonna make a packet out of vaccinating the young.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #167 on March 05, 2020, 10:29:09 am by The Red Baron »
It's not "more" of an issue. There is no issue more important than us doing what we need to do to stop this spreading so fast.

Washing hands. Covering face when you sneeze. Avoid unnecessary contact and crowds. 

Simple stuff. Which is why it was so depressing to see our PM yesterday boasting that he'd been going round shaking hands with staff at a virus isolation ward. d**khead that he is.

I think the one about hand-shaking in the hospital might be one of Boris's "tall tales." Even if he'd wanted to shake hands with everyone I doubt many medical staff would be willing to do so.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #168 on March 05, 2020, 10:33:26 am by BillyStubbsTears »
TRB

Maybe. But it's telling about his psyche. All bravado and front.

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #169 on March 05, 2020, 10:45:29 am by turnbull for england »
He will be feeding his kids a wrestlers water burger next  ( John gummer?)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #170 on March 05, 2020, 12:55:29 pm by ravenrover »
Love this

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #171 on March 05, 2020, 01:07:40 pm by Filo »
Parliament could be shut down until September, Coronavirus is a blessing for these set of corrupt bas**rds

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #172 on March 05, 2020, 01:44:32 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Filo

That just means the Govt can operate with no scrutiny.

That is something to be highly worried about when you have the likes of Cummings, Johnson, Raab and Patel running the country.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #173 on March 05, 2020, 03:01:17 pm by The Red Baron »
Parliament could be shut down until September, Coronavirus is a blessing for these set of corrupt bas**rds

Surely Parliament is the last place to be shutting down (as in, you shut just about anything else down first).

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #174 on March 05, 2020, 04:11:41 pm by drfchound »

Don’t MPs of all parties attend a Parliament.
I am guessing they are all under that same label Filo.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #175 on March 05, 2020, 05:18:17 pm by selby »
It looks like London is doing the same with this as everything else and keeping most of it for themselves.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #176 on March 05, 2020, 05:35:06 pm by Filo »

No not at all, the ones touting shutting parliament down are the same ones that tried twice last year, only this time theres no stopping them if they choose to do that, like BST says there will be no scrutiny then!

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #177 on March 05, 2020, 05:50:19 pm by albie »
For those who like a bit more science in the explanation;
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/615317/gene-sleuths-are-tracking-the-coronavirus-outbreak-as-it-happens/

This is looking difficult given the potential for re-infection and re-introduction. The extent of mutation is going to be a problem.

I reckon public gatherings are going to be closed in the near future. What that means for pubs, restaurants and the High St is very serious.

A key question is how long it will take to reach the peak infection across the population.....the difference between 1 month and 3 months is very important in terms of the restrictive measures taken.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #178 on March 05, 2020, 05:54:24 pm by Bentley Bullet »

No not at all, the ones touting shutting parliament down are the same ones that tried twice last year, only this time theres no stopping them if they choose to do that, like BST says there will be no scrutiny then!

There's no stopping them if they don't shut down parliament. They have no opposition!

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #179 on March 06, 2020, 01:20:54 am by Colemans Left Hook »
personally i think they (the government) want to get the other side of the Cheltenham Festival before action is taken   :thumbdown:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012