Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:18:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 860337 times)

wilts rover

• Forum Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #300 on March 11, 2020, 05:32:00 pm by wilts rover »
That seems to be the risk Johnson took on Monday when he said it was not the right time to take stronger measures.

If Monday was not the right time to take measures to halt the spread of the virus when we had half the cases we have now, and he let Crufts and Cheltenham go ahead, when will be?

I can't work it out? Did he think it was not going to spread - or does he want people to catch it knowing 'most' people will only be lightly affected? Or is there some other cunning plan the whole world has missed?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #301 on March 11, 2020, 06:14:48 pm by since-1969 »

A reply sent to me from Marie at DRFC with regards to the clubs response  to the virus .

Hi Brian,

I have tried to give you a call in response to this but was unable to get through earlier, I hope you don’t mind me replying by email.

In terms of the current position, we are following guidance from Public Health England and the EFL and we continue to plan for Saturday’s match as usual.   We have put additional hygiene measures in place, such as additional cleaning of public areas, signage reminders of washing hands, front of staff house using antibacterial wipes regularly throughout the day on door handles and reception counters etc etc.  Catering staff have also been briefed by reinforcing existing rules and practices around food safety, personal hygiene and infection control.

Although the current guidance suggests that washing hands with soap and water is the most effective method, we are also trying to source wall mounted hand sanitiser units for supporters piece of mind.  As you may be aware, there is a widespread shortage of these available currently but we have an order which is due to be delivered this Friday.  I am a little cautious of announcing this publicly at this stage as I would rather have received the delivery and had them in place before confirming!

We have been through the stadium this week to ensure every soap dispenser is working and well stocked.  This will be checked again on Friday morning, along with paper towels dispensers as part of our pre-match checks.  We have put additional posters up in all toilets to remind people to wash their hands.

This information is planned to go out to supporters as part of the pre match communications (usually on a Friday).  As the situation is evolving, we thought it better to provide the most up to date information possible to supporters to be able to make an informed decision about their match day plans.

If you would like me to give you a call tomorrow to discuss further, please let me know a convenient time and I will get in touch.

Best wishes,

Marie

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #302 on March 11, 2020, 06:20:49 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
IDM

I don't know if it will work. But we have to try it. The peak is going to be very bad. It's a question of if we can stop it being very, VERY bad.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #303 on March 11, 2020, 06:29:22 pm by adamtherover »
Without wanting to get too controversial, and playing devils advocate, should we let nature take its course.?  What happens next time a similar new virus strain crops up.?  Do we shut down every time or accept that some things can’t be beaten.?

The issue I guess with that is because this one is so virulent, the natural course of things would lead to millions infected and tens of thousands hospitalised in a very short window therefore overwhelming healthcare provision and leading to more deaths not only from the virus but others who would miss out on treatment for other life-threatening conditions/injuries etc.

I don't doubt that this thing will spread and despite all precautions with regard to self isolation etc. the best hope we have is to flatten the curve a bit and give the NHS a fighting chance of keeping on top of the workload over a longer period of time.

So we HAVE to do something to slow down the spread around the time of the peak. Get the number of cases down to lower figures and give the NHS a chance to cope.
Last week we had a 33% increase daily, today we have 25%, a bigger physical number, but in terms of actual growth into big numbers, is it slowing down?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #304 on March 11, 2020, 06:30:35 pm by IDM »
IDM

I don't know if it will work. But we have to try it. The peak is going to be very bad. It's a question of if we can stop it being very, VERY bad.

I have to agree but all I can see these measures doing is postponing the effects - with the benefit of spreading the load on the nhs.?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #305 on March 11, 2020, 06:32:03 pm by IDM »
Without wanting to get too controversial, and playing devils advocate, should we let nature take its course.?  What happens next time a similar new virus strain crops up.?  Do we shut down every time or accept that some things can’t be beaten.?

The issue I guess with that is because this one is so virulent, the natural course of things would lead to millions infected and tens of thousands hospitalised in a very short window therefore overwhelming healthcare provision and leading to more deaths not only from the virus but others who would miss out on treatment for other life-threatening conditions/injuries etc.

I don't doubt that this thing will spread and despite all precautions with regard to self isolation etc. the best hope we have is to flatten the curve a bit and give the NHS a fighting chance of keeping on top of the workload over a longer period of time.

So we HAVE to do something to slow down the spread around the time of the peak. Get the number of cases down to lower figures and give the NHS a chance to cope.
Last week we had a 33% increase daily, today we have 25%, a bigger physical number, but in terms of actual growth into big numbers, is it slowing down?

That’s detected cases, who’s to say there isn’t a big increase of undetected spread yet.?

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #306 on March 11, 2020, 06:33:37 pm by adamtherover »
Of course, but I suppose apart from actual deaths, a lot of the numbers are open to scrutiny..   

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #307 on March 11, 2020, 06:37:20 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Adam

There are usually small increases right at the very start because no one is testing, then bigger increases in CONFIRMED cases for a period in the early stages as testing gets going, because there's a backlog of cases to confirm. The epidemiologists say that the real case numbers in typical epidemics grow at approximately 20% per day.

That's still scary though. It means that the real cases will grow 50-100 fold over a month. Which is pretty much what we have seen in the past month (4 cases on 9 Feb: 278 on 9 March: 450 today). So that would suggest that we'll have 20-40,000 cases by mid April, into the millions by early-May and probably a peak late May/early July unless we drastically slow the spread.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #308 on March 11, 2020, 06:39:25 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
IDM

I have to agree but all I can see these measures doing is postponing the effects - with the benefit of spreading the load on the nhs.?

Because you want to get the numbers down to levels that can be coped with when they peak.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/science/coronavirus-curve-mitigation-infection.html

That said, I am very worried that that lovely graphic massively underestimates the amount by which the peak will be higher than the health system's capacity. But we've got to try.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #309 on March 11, 2020, 06:41:17 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
PS:

That's why anyone who ignores the advice on handwashing and the coming advice on social distancing is effectively complicit in mass deaths.

It is THAT serious folks. Wash your f**king hands 10 times a day and keep out of unnecessary crowds.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #310 on March 11, 2020, 06:42:38 pm by adamtherover »
Do you not think folk will self regulate their selves to an extent if numbers start to rise sharply regardless of any official plans?  Its not as clear cut as 2 plus 2 equals 10 million cases by thursday week.  Because the calculator says so?
Right now  numbers are small, folk are already stocking up, we have seen that,  there will be a bad day, and all if a sudden, no ones leaving the house...   
The media frenzy, if anything has made damn sure that no one is in the dark about this..

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #311 on March 11, 2020, 06:45:39 pm by Nudga »
Well, this looks like the death of my business.
Folk have panicked and cancelled jobs, the phone hasn't rung and there's nothing coming through.
Couple this virus with the misinformation about woodburners and burning wood.

There will be millions like me in this position. There might not even be enough jobs out there when this calms down.

I'm not worried about the virus, I'm bloody scared about the future though.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #312 on March 11, 2020, 06:45:50 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Adam

It's not ME saying this is the typical rate of growth. It's global experts who have spent their life studying these things.

I don't understand why you feel the need to fight these facts.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #313 on March 11, 2020, 06:49:29 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Nudga.

Have a look at what was announced in the Budget. There's a lot of support for small businesses.

The single most stupid economic thing we could do is to allow perfectly sound businesses to go under because of what is a very short term problem. If we do that, we will be poorer for a generation because you don't re-invent those businesses by clicking your fingers.

In fairness, I think the Chancellor gets that and I think there will be massive Govt borrowing or money printing to address it.

IF they manage the economic right, your problem will be too much work in the second half of the year, as people spend on the stuff they've delayed.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #314 on March 11, 2020, 06:51:11 pm by Nudga »
Thanks BST, yes I saw that and I'll be on the phone tomorrow, see what they can do.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #315 on March 11, 2020, 06:51:16 pm by adamtherover »
Adam

It's not ME saying this is the typical rate of growth. It's global experts who have spent their life studying these things.

I don't understand why you feel the need to fight these facts.
facts about a brand new virus? 
And where am I fighting them, I'm quoting today's growth figures are less than last week, and I'm suggesting folk might show some common sense in relation to not being the next victim.  You are the only one who had already signed the death certificate on a million folk?

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #316 on March 11, 2020, 06:53:41 pm by adamtherover »
Theres 2 cases in south Yorkshire, 2!!  That's some growth to be done before we run out of hospital beds.

This is my last post on the subject, stay safe everyone!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #317 on March 11, 2020, 07:13:23 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Adam
Grab a calculator. Work out how many cases we'll have in South Yorkshire by mid-May if they double every five days.

turnbull for england

• Forum Member

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #319 on March 11, 2020, 10:17:32 pm by 5minstogo »
Theres 2 cases in south Yorkshire, 2!!  That's some growth to be done before we run out of hospital beds.

This is my last post on the subject, stay safe everyone!

4 in South Yorks. (2 in Barnsley , 1 in Rotherham and 1 in Sheffield) Plenty more in self isolation and awaiting testing.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #320 on March 12, 2020, 12:25:45 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Have to say, our numbers are looking increasingly iffy.

As a proportion of the population, the figures we in the UK are posting are WAY lower than comparable countries in Western Europe. We're seeing numbers down at the bottom end of the scale. Which, remarkably, is where you find a lot of countries with barely functioning democracies, and leaders with a track record of shovelling shit at their population.

Infections/million population
Italy 206
Norway 116
Denmark 89
Switzerland 75
Sweden 50
Spain 49
France 35
Netherlands 29
Belgium 27
Austria 27
Germany 23
UK 7
USA 4
Hungary 1.3
Saudi Arabia 1.3
Poland 0.8
Russia 0.1
Turkey 0.01

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #321 on March 12, 2020, 01:17:47 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Well now!

A propos of that post, Trump has just announced that the USA is introducing travel restrictions from Europe.

But they won't include the UK...

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #322 on March 12, 2020, 02:11:53 am by Copps is Magic »
Well now!

A propos of that post, Trump has just announced that the USA is introducing travel restrictions from Europe.

But they won't include the UK...

Trump has out trumped himself. Set up a straw man while the virus spreads within the boarders

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #323 on March 12, 2020, 07:54:33 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Indeed and how is the uk an exception to the eu given still have freedom.of movement it seems strange. I suspect travel bans will increase in the near future.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #324 on March 12, 2020, 07:56:53 am by Ldr »
UK and Ireland are not part of the schengen area

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #325 on March 12, 2020, 08:19:34 am by Filo »
The UK being an Island may be helping us here

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #326 on March 12, 2020, 08:21:34 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »

But we still have to let eu citizens in as it stands who can then take a trip to America, doesnt as yet make sense.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #327 on March 12, 2020, 08:26:50 am by River Don »
It's just hit home for me. My sister has just lost her job, the business collapsed.

She worked in recruitment. Nobody is recruiting in London and jobs are going left, right and centre across the capital.

At least she's got a bit of redundancy pay and she won't be travelling on the tube at rush hour anymore.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #328 on March 12, 2020, 08:35:07 am by Ldr »

But we still have to let eu citizens in as it stands who can then take a trip to America, doesnt as yet make sense.

That my friend is very true

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #329 on March 12, 2020, 08:46:59 am by River Don »

A reply sent to me from Marie at DRFC with regards to the clubs response  to the virus .

Hi Brian,

I have tried to give you a call in response to this but was unable to get through earlier, I hope you don’t mind me replying by email.

In terms of the current position, we are following guidance from Public Health England and the EFL and we continue to plan for Saturday’s match as usual.   We have put additional hygiene measures in place, such as additional cleaning of public areas, signage reminders of washing hands, front of staff house using antibacterial wipes regularly throughout the day on door handles and reception counters etc etc.  Catering staff have also been briefed by reinforcing existing rules and practices around food safety, personal hygiene and infection control.

Although the current guidance suggests that washing hands with soap and water is the most effective method, we are also trying to source wall mounted hand sanitiser units for supporters piece of mind.  As you may be aware, there is a widespread shortage of these available currently but we have an order which is due to be delivered this Friday.  I am a little cautious of announcing this publicly at this stage as I would rather have received the delivery and had them in place before confirming!

We have been through the stadium this week to ensure every soap dispenser is working and well stocked.  This will be checked again on Friday morning, along with paper towels dispensers as part of our pre-match checks.  We have put additional posters up in all toilets to remind people to wash their hands.

This information is planned to go out to supporters as part of the pre match communications (usually on a Friday).  As the situation is evolving, we thought it better to provide the most up to date information possible to supporters to be able to make an informed decision about their match day plans.

If you would like me to give you a call tomorrow to discuss further, please let me know a convenient time and I will get in touch.

Best wishes,

Marie

I can't see washing hands making a great deal of difference when the virus is transmitted through the air. Sit within a seat or two of someone spreading the virus and there you are at significantly greater risk. The bigger issue is probably pre match, half time and final whistle when there are so many gathering in the halls below the stands.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012