Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:55:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 860450 times)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #600 on March 15, 2020, 09:44:07 pm by DonnyOsmond »
There's one kid at a school in Moorends.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #601 on March 15, 2020, 10:02:47 pm by drfchound »
He must be lonely.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #602 on March 15, 2020, 10:04:15 pm by Filo »
Good news and bad news

Good news when I looked a couple of hours ago there wee no cases in Doncaster but now there are 2.

How many confirmed cases are in your area?
Enter a postcode, English council or Scottish NHS area to find out. Wales and Northern Ireland are not currently providing localised figures

There are 2 cases in Doncaster, out of a local population of 310,542
Figures last updated 09:00 GMT, 15 March

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51768274

The published figures cannot show the true extent of the virus as only hospitalised cases are getting tested.

I know of one case self isolating at home

Is that the one that you mentioned the other day, in Dunscroft.

Yes

Has he/she actually contracted the disease or is it precautionary?

I’m led to believe the person has tested positive for it

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #603 on March 15, 2020, 10:05:30 pm by tyke1962 »
There's one kid at a school in Moorends.

Three school children from Kendray Academy less than a mile from where I live in Barnsley have tested positive for the virus .

My thoughts are that they make a speedy recovery .

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #604 on March 15, 2020, 10:09:52 pm by 5minstogo »
I know of several children from the local school isolating for 7 days due to a cough and high temperature.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #605 on March 15, 2020, 10:30:07 pm by tyke1962 »
I'm looking for some leadership from the government right now .

Political allegiances are irrelevant .

368 people have died from this virus in the last 24 hours in Italy which is a wake up call and a reality check if ever I saw one .

We are all going to lose someone to this virus who we love or who we know .

That seems to me to be a solid fact .

There's more to this thing than what we are getting told in my opinion .

I don't expect the government to get everything totally right because this is an unprecedented situation and it's impossible .

The death toll in Italy over the last 24 hours have me looking at this in a different light .

People are far more vulnerable than what we are getting told in my opinion .

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #606 on March 15, 2020, 10:33:18 pm by Ldr »
For those who like numbers, the (pre coronavirus) average number of people who die daily in the UK is around 1,400

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #607 on March 15, 2020, 10:51:22 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Spread this story as far as you can. It's highly simplistic, but it really gets the message home on self-isolation and social distancing.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

If you don't cut down pointless trips. If you don't self isolate when you come down with C-19, YOU, you personally, will be responsible for more people getting I'll and more people dying.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #608 on March 15, 2020, 10:52:57 pm by tyke1962 »
For those who like numbers, the (pre coronavirus) average number of people who die daily in the UK is around 1,400

That's probably a solid fact but the problem with looking at it that way is that possibly very little of those deaths led to someone else dying with a highly contagious virus .

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #609 on March 15, 2020, 10:57:25 pm by IDM »
Our local news tonight had a medical expert explain why they are not testing widely.

He said that all people who had returned from affected areas have been tested so that for the remainder of us they can use modelling.

I can see how using statistics and modelling may give a reasonable assessment of quantifying the outbreak, but it is bugger all use to individuals knowing whether they have the virus or have been exposed to it.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #610 on March 15, 2020, 10:58:31 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Your point being?

When this thing peaks, we won't be seeing 10 people die per day.

We won't be seeing 1400.

We will be seeing something in the 10s of thousands.

What you are doing is looking at the lightest drizzle on the leading edge of a hurricane and hinting that it's not all that bad.

That attitude, if it persuaded people that they do not need to change their behaviour, will lead to people dying who shouldn't do.

It's time you stopped and asked yourself why you are doing this. You've downplayed the threat at every step. Belittled people who were warning if what is coming.

If you can't take this seriously, you should at least have the good grace to keep quiet.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #611 on March 15, 2020, 11:00:27 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Our local news tonight had a medical expert explain why they are not testing widely.

He said that all people who had returned from affected areas have been tested so that for the remainder of us they can use modelling.

I can see how using statistics and modelling may give a reasonable assessment of quantifying the outbreak, but it is bugger all use to individuals knowing whether they have the virus or have been exposed to it.

IDM.

I take your point, but we are in a situation were improving our understanding now might allow us to make decisions in a few weeks that could save 100,000 lives.

In that context, using limited resources in a way that aids that decision, even at the cost of hurting a few individuals now, is entirely the right thing to do.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #612 on March 15, 2020, 11:00:54 pm by Ldr »
BST It was a fact presented without comment. Stop putting words in peoples mouths. You are not the authority on everything, you're nothing more than a condescending t**t at the moment.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #613 on March 15, 2020, 11:12:28 pm by tyke1962 »
BST It was a fact presented without comment. Stop putting words in peoples mouths. You are not the authority on everything, you're nothing more than a condescending t**t at the moment.

Time for all of us to pull together irrespective of our differences don't you think Ldr ? .

The cards that we have right now are the only cards we have , the dealer won't be giving you anymore .

If ever there was a time to put our differences to one side then it's now .

It's all we have , mother nature will decide the rest .

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #614 on March 15, 2020, 11:14:39 pm by Ldr »
Agreed Tyke, although im not been called out on words put in my mouth, nor would you

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #615 on March 15, 2020, 11:16:21 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Am I right in saying that you have downplayed this at every step of the way?

Last week you we amusing yourself asking questions about my mental state and need for this to be really bad. When what I have been doing from the start is putting out the message of how bad this is going to be, and how vital it is that we ALL take it seriously.

Putting out "a fact presented without comment", which is entirely irrelevant to what is coming, and which may mislead people into not taking this seriously, is as bad as deliberately trying to deceive someone.

Like I say, if you don't care about this, which is what you suggested a few weeks ago, then fine. Just keep that to yourself and let the rest of us get on with taking the steps we need to minimise the effect of what is coming.

If you consider that to make me a "condescending t**t", frankly, I couldn't care less. Id rather hurt a few feelings and be part of saving a lot of lives than grease people's arseholes.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #616 on March 15, 2020, 11:19:42 pm by IDM »

IDM.

I take your point, but we are in a situation were improving our understanding now might allow us to make decisions in a few weeks that could save 100,000 lives.

In that context, using limited resources in a way that aids that decision, even at the cost of hurting a few individuals now, is entirely the right thing to do.

I get that, but I would reckon huge swathes of the population don’t.  The same principle which causes people to go and panic buy items which aren’t in short supply.

I’m not blaming individuals for that, it just happens.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #617 on March 15, 2020, 11:22:24 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Come back and look at this post again at the end of June. You'll see then why I have been on such a short fuse with your attitude to this issue over the past few weeks. I've tried to discuss this sensibly with you and got responses like this.

https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=276411.msg953610#msg953610

At the moment, I couldn't care less what your opinion of me is. Just so long as people don't take the "meh" attitude you have shown through this whole thing. Because that attitude WILL kill people who shouldn't die over the next few months.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 01:36:49 pm by Forum Admin »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #618 on March 16, 2020, 12:19:32 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Someone was commenting on here about that vastly different mortality rates between Italy and Germany.

This is interesting reading.
https://mobile.twitter.com/kuhnmo/status/1238421146837684224

Especially the reference to this data.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AndreasShrugged/status/1237774602056732674

That graph goes a long way to explaining the difference in death rates. The earlier link then investigates why Italy has so many over 60s infected.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #619 on March 16, 2020, 08:10:30 am by Ldr »
BST if you dont think I am concerned you are wrong. What I dont subscribe to is the level you are at. Whether that is right or wrong time will tell, as we both know ppl react differently to things. Apologies for what I said to you last night btw.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #620 on March 16, 2020, 08:22:47 am by River Don »
The bookies announcing they are in trouble this morning.

Cancel all the sport and there's nothing to bet on.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #621 on March 16, 2020, 08:28:53 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Ldr.

No problem. I deserved it. Emotions are running high. Apologies for acting like a t**t.

I'm genuinely scared about this, in a way I've never been about anything in my life. I just don't see any outcome that isn't simply awful.

China may have controlled C-19, but the cost of that is just starting to come out. These numbers a jaw-droppingly frightening.

https://mobile.twitter.com/S_Rabinovitch/status/1239382457226416135

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #622 on March 16, 2020, 08:32:33 am by Filo »
Bad times need drastic measures, in my opinion we should close all our borders, and anyone infected or showing signs of infection should be forced to isolate by law, it’s the only way to get this under control, I said earlier this month that there must be thousands of empty buildings in the country that could be requisitioned and quickly turned into isolation centres, b*llocks to peoples freedoms, something drastic has to happen

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #623 on March 16, 2020, 08:38:42 am by River Don »
This is the big problem BST.

Plenty of doctors are lining up to say the UK must follow suit and lockdown early to save lives.

They are right, in the short term but what then? The plan seems to be put everything on hold until vaccines and treatments are available. That could be twelve months away, eightteen months away. The vaccine when it comes might not be so effective.

I can tell you now, trying to shut the global economy down for any length of time is folly. It doesn't slow down, it collapses. That will do far greater damage to public health than the virus.

A very difficult choice must be made here, and I actually think Whitty and Vallance are trying to make it.

One thing I think they are getting wrong though is dropping testing and tracing. South Korea and Singapore have had a lot of success slowing the thing down through thorough testing and meticulous tracing.

knockers

• Forum Member
« Reply #624 on March 16, 2020, 08:42:08 am by knockers »
It really hit home on last nights news seeing several major cities in Europe totally void of people.
Europe is taking it seriously and it’s about time we stopped thinking that we’re better than the rest.
My main concern is the elderly parents and just how they are going to cope.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #625 on March 16, 2020, 08:50:04 am by River Don »
Knockers

It's not a case of thinking we are better than the rest.

It is a case of trying not to panic and making the best choice. Just doing something, anything because it is what everyone else is doing, isn't necessarily the best choice.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #626 on March 16, 2020, 09:07:28 am by IDM »
This is the big problem BST.

Plenty of doctors are lining up to say the UK must follow suit and lockdown early to save lives.

They are right, in the short term but what then? The plan seems to be put everything on hold until vaccines and treatments are available. That could be twelve months away, eightteen months away. The vaccine when it comes might not be so effective.

I can tell you now, trying to shut the global economy down for any length of time is folly. It doesn't slow down, it collapses. That will do far greater damage to public health than the virus.

A very difficult choice must be made here, and I actually think Whitty and Vallance are trying to make it.

One thing I think they are getting wrong though is dropping testing and tracing. South Korea and Singapore have had a lot of success slowing the thing down through thorough testing and meticulous tracing.

I agree about the testing bit, they are relying on modelling based upon testing done to date..

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #627 on March 16, 2020, 09:16:53 am by BillyStubbsTears »
RD.

I couldn't agree more in the economics.

I'm sick of hearing "People's lives are more important than economics". Like you say, if we allow our response to be guided like that, we will cause far more deaths in the long run by the consequences of economic damage. We've seen figures saying Austerity has cost 120,000 lives. The potential economic effects of this, if we get the response wrong, will make Austerity costs look like a bit of change dropped down the back of the settee.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #628 on March 16, 2020, 10:38:52 am by Sprotyrover »
Wife is worried she is in a vulnerable group and likely to be advised to self isolate our son and daughter in law are both in public services, Police and Nursing if the schools close for 16 weeks we are the only support for them re child care.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #629 on March 16, 2020, 10:57:25 am by Copps is Magic »
Sproty - I don't know what is/will happening there, but here in the Netherlands although the schools are "shut", they are still open to kids of parents in essential public services (health, police and fire brigade)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012