Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:19:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 860462 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #990 on March 24, 2020, 01:20:28 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Mike Ashley eh?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52011915

Once a Kitson, always a Kitson.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

redwine

• Forum Member
« Reply #991 on March 24, 2020, 05:27:09 am by redwine »
Ah, yes a founder member of the libertarian death cult.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #992 on March 24, 2020, 07:56:50 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
The guy is ruthless to the extreme.  Looks like they have seen sense though and not opening now.

It surprises me still to see so many people confused about the advice and instructions given, it is simple - stay at home.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 08:18:00 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #993 on March 24, 2020, 08:30:25 am by Filo »
Well our Company is still working, just, we have key workers in as regular bookings, care home staff, gp staff etc. We also have a couple of customers we take to DRI for chemo, we just can’t let people like that down, we have people such as those that can’t drive or get about that we take for their weekly shop, so we will have bare minimum staff working. For me personally, I have decided to stop working due to my wifes multiple health conditions, I simply can’t risk her getting the virus

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #994 on March 24, 2020, 11:40:22 am by Metalmicky »

DN8ROVER

• VSC Member
« Reply #995 on March 24, 2020, 01:06:48 pm by DN8ROVER »
I have just been sent home from work because a collegue has phoned in sick with coronavirus symptoms. I now have to self isolate for 14 days. All i will receive is SSP of £94 a week. If i actually was sick i would receive full pay from day one as stated in my contract.
Work that one out?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 02:48:17 pm by DN8ROVER »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #996 on March 24, 2020, 01:56:56 pm by Filo »
Lockdown it is then..

Well in my opinion, that was as clear as mud, the word lockdown was n’t mentioned, to me it sounded like a final warning

Having watched it again a few times, I think he’s telling people that is what is going to happen, but instructing people to start as of today, he has n’t the power to force anyone into lockdown under our current legislation, he’s waiting for the emergency powers to get through Parliament to give him the power to implement a full on lockdown probably Thursday or Friday

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #997 on March 24, 2020, 02:19:22 pm by IDM »
I don’t think there would be any new restrictions imposed, more that the ones announced last night may become enforceable by law.?

Perhaps that is the difference.?

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #998 on March 24, 2020, 03:23:17 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
BRR.

This.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

It's a long read, but it's important. Should really be read by everyone on the planet. It's not 100% right on detail, but the principles are right.

1) Hammer down the virus NOW, to avoid our health system being overwhelmed.

2) That is f**king hard (as we are about to see) but it gains you time. Use it to build up your testing and health care capacity.

3) Intelligently release the lock down. See which areas the virus picks up. Lock them down again. Keep other areas open.

4) Repeat 3 till some bas**rd finds a vaccine.

Thanks for that, a good summary of the big picture, albeit a lot of guesswork and some mistakes in the details.

One big factor ignored in that is how we get resistance to viruses as well as immunity. They are different. With no resistance, like when a new virus appears or is introduced by migrating populations, the reaction of the immune system is more extreme which causes a comparitively high rate of fatalities. This is happening with this virus now. As time goes on, the virus mutates, immunity isn't the same as it's a different strain (like with flu and colds), but there is some resistance and so a less extreme immune reaction and consequently less fatalities.

Vaccines - this is a tricky virus. No vaccine for SARS for example (17 years and counting) which is closer to this than flu. Whatever comes out will be grabbed and mass trialled most likely in most places, no doubt about that. There is a huge amount of money in it, and I know people won't want to see that side but be sure, there are people and corporations in place ready to sieze any financial benefit from this crisis just as they do in any crisis - it's human social nature.

A note re vaccines. They don't stop you getting a virus, they roughly prep your body to deal wth it albeit in a lesser way than natural immunity. What they do effectively is lessen the response compared to someone without immunity as well as speeding the response (on most levels at least), so peak infection time is much reduced, the sneezing is less, the coughing is less acute etc and so most crucially it spreads less easily.

My feeling is that as we more certainly get to know the real morbitity of this, that flattening of the curve policy, hammer and dance, is what will happen, and as immunity and resistance increases it will get easier. Consequently avoiding that deathly overwhelming of critical services. Could go on for years. A vaccine... we'll see, but foolish to expect it in planning exceept as a hope.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #999 on March 24, 2020, 06:12:20 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
87 deaths today in the UK.

A little worse than I'd hoped but still indicating that we are broadly tracking the China trend rather than the Italy & Spain trend. To put it in perspective, at this point in their epidemic, Italy and Spain were having about 150 deaths per day. China was having about 65-70.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #1000 on March 24, 2020, 06:17:36 pm by selby »
After the silly shenanigans this weekend are you expecting a spike in a week or two's time Billy?
  I am afraid I expect one.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1001 on March 24, 2020, 06:48:08 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I desperately hope not Selby, but I fear there will be one.

Sad-Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #1002 on March 24, 2020, 07:49:41 pm by Sad-Rovers »
87 deaths today in the UK.

A little worse than I'd hoped but still indicating that we are broadly tracking the China trend rather than the Italy & Spain trend. To put it in perspective, at this point in their epidemic, Italy and Spain were having about 150 deaths per day. China was having about 65-70.

Andy, with your record on predictions I’m now fully expecting the UK to be relegated on GD

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1003 on March 24, 2020, 08:08:21 pm by SydneyRover »
??????????????????

''Up to 5,000 students will be allowed to return to Liberty University’s campus after school officials confirmed the conservative Christian school based in Lynchburg, Virginia, will reopen this week.

Liberty’s president, Jerry Falwell Jr, defied nationwide calls for mandatory school closures, inviting students to return amid a worsening coronavirus pandemic. Falwell is a major and vocal backer of Donald Trump and evangelicals are a core part of the president’s support base''

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/24/liberty-university-reopens-despite-coronavirus-closure-calls-jerry-falwell-jr

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #1004 on March 24, 2020, 08:56:58 pm by Filo »
??????????????????

''Up to 5,000 students will be allowed to return to Liberty University’s campus after school officials confirmed the conservative Christian school based in Lynchburg, Virginia, will reopen this week.

Liberty’s president, Jerry Falwell Jr, defied nationwide calls for mandatory school closures, inviting students to return amid a worsening coronavirus pandemic. Falwell is a major and vocal backer of Donald Trump and evangelicals are a core part of the president’s support base''

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/24/liberty-university-reopens-despite-coronavirus-closure-calls-jerry-falwell-jr

They’re not wired up reight them yanks

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1005 on March 24, 2020, 09:22:28 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Today's graph.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #1006 on March 24, 2020, 09:29:36 pm by Copps is Magic »
Trump, in common with all populists and demagogues, favours simple solutions to complex problems.

Just caught this from Nick Bryant going down the BBC live ticker. I don't think you will find a more succint account of our current era than this.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #1007 on March 24, 2020, 09:30:26 pm by Filo »
Would be interesting to see USA on there, while there government can’t agree on extra funding the virus is running wild over there

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #1008 on March 24, 2020, 09:31:22 pm by Copps is Magic »
https://www.ft.com/content/649a7e5a-6dab-11ea-89df-41bea055720b

Mike Ashley, ladies and gentlemen. I encourage everyone to never step foot in one of his shops again.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #1010 on March 24, 2020, 10:08:48 pm by Colin C No.3 »
The ‘Here today gone tomorrow’ brigade are beginning to show their true colours now (as if we didn’t truly believe they were ever good ‘people’), let’s remember them & their ‘Empires built by us, the consumer’, once we get to the other side of this.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #1011 on March 24, 2020, 10:43:22 pm by pib »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1012 on March 25, 2020, 12:45:13 am by BillyStubbsTears »
And here's the irony pib.

If the rest of us do the right thing and we get on top of CV-19, f**king idiots like that will say, in that Hyacinth Bouquet voice, "See! I told you it was all an over-reaction."

I wonder where it comes from? The combination of blind f**king ignorance and absolute certainty about being right.

The older I get, the more convinced I am that there is an inverse correlation between genuine understanding and belief in how much you actually know yourself.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1013 on March 25, 2020, 12:52:47 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Slightly different take on the graph today.

I've previously just been sliding each country up and down the time line until the traces looked like they matched. That's a bit questionable. Lots of other people have been plotting this info with all the traces starting at the day the number of deaths in each country first hit 5 or 10. I've said before, i think that's misleading, because in the early stages, the deaths are sporadic. I think it's much more accurate to wait until there are a steady number of deaths per day and the randomness is getting smoothed out.

Anyway, I've changed the graph, so that it is now looking at the time since each country went through 100 deaths. That's actually only affected two countries.

Spain now looks horrific
Germany looks like it's not miraculously bucked the trend - just been slower starting.

So none of that is good news.

I've also added the USA. They look to be on the trend of France or Italy. But without the leadership to lockdown nationally, I'm actually getting very scared for what is going to happen there.

ian1980

• Forum Member
« Reply #1014 on March 25, 2020, 08:00:01 am by ian1980 »
Very interesting (if some what sobering) to see these daily graphs BST, please keep posting them.

USA appear to be in a right pickle looking at that and I don’t see them being able to get on top of it.

A little reassuring to see the UK line, the next few days will give a better understanding to see if we maintain that current curve though.

The halfwits that are ignoring the advise (mainly London it appears on the tube and construction sites) could impact the outcome massively

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #1015 on March 25, 2020, 08:19:28 am by IDM »
Construction workers - the government has abdicated the responsibility for whether this industry works or not..

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #1016 on March 25, 2020, 08:44:47 am by pib »
And here's the irony pib.

If the rest of us do the right thing and we get on top of CV-19, f**king idiots like that will say, in that Hyacinth Bouquet voice, "See! I told you it was all an over-reaction."

I wonder where it comes from? The combination of blind f**king ignorance and absolute certainty about being right.

The older I get, the more convinced I am that there is an inverse correlation between genuine understanding and belief in how much you actually know yourself.

The comment that got me was “we’ve had our lives”, as if she speaks for everyone in her age group.

She might not be bothered about dying of this while she’s having a jolly-up at the seaside, but I would bet my last pound that she would be begging and praying to make a full recovery if she contracted it.

And I’m sure she’d be the first to complain if her sons/daughters or grandchildren were unable to get an ambulance or a hospital bed if something other than C-19 was to befall them at some point over the coming 6 months.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #1017 on March 25, 2020, 09:15:35 am by Filo »
Regarding the new hospital in London, I wrote this 9 days ago

https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=275849.msg955187#msg955187

Why are the Government slow to react?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #1018 on March 25, 2020, 09:48:08 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Regarding the new hospital in London, I wrote this 9 days ago

https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=275849.msg955187#msg955187

Why are the Government slow to react?

They do not as yet need it, they've clearly planned it and now putting it in to place.

As for construction, I'm unsure at the minute. Some aspects of it mean distancing cannot happen, others should still take place, some indeed are integral to keeping things going (maintenance, testing etc).

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1019 on March 25, 2020, 09:49:47 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Filo.

Here's a thought. This is the kind of lateral thinking we need from Govt.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KevinRampling/status/1242535522691620864

TinyPortal © 2005-2012