Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:59:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 860312 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1170 on March 27, 2020, 04:36:14 pm by selby »
  Steve, people wishing ill of Johnson want to be careful, they will not get a vote for a conservative leader and might get a proper Tory like Rees Mogg.
  There again they will be used to losing votes, and not getting what they want by now.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1171 on March 27, 2020, 04:50:52 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
BRR.

That's exactly the figure found on the Diamond Princess.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #1172 on March 27, 2020, 04:51:18 pm by Filo »
  Steve, people wishing ill of Johnson want to be careful, they will not get a vote for a conservative leader and might get a proper Tory like Rees Mogg.
  There again they will be used to losing votes, and not getting what they want by now.

Can’t see anyone wishing ill of him, you are seeing something that isn’t there

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1173 on March 27, 2020, 04:51:29 pm by adamtherover »
Large figures being released for the last 24 hrs in the UK :-(

Just shy of 3k new cases with 181 deaths.  So 14.5k cases (tested), it only seems 3 or 4 days ago it was at 6k cases? 

Have we now reached the point where large numbers are starting to snowball?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 04:57:25 pm by adamtherover »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1174 on March 27, 2020, 04:52:50 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

What in God's name are you talking about?

ian1980

• Forum Member
« Reply #1175 on March 27, 2020, 04:55:43 pm by ian1980 »
Last 24hrs

UK deaths = 185
Italy deaths = 919 (chuffing hell)

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #1176 on March 27, 2020, 04:56:18 pm by Copps is Magic »
Only a 5.5% increase in Italy in terms of cases. 11% increase in deaths (following almost exactly the pattern of the last 6 days).

Promosing again on both fronts.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #1177 on March 27, 2020, 05:00:54 pm by Donnywolf »
Raab

And now the coronacrisis really hits home.

Someone says he will be good - I say Pigs might fly - which is apt as his name in anagram form is ........................midair bacon.

You couldnt make it up UNLIKE him

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #1178 on March 27, 2020, 05:14:58 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Anyone who thinks this is a simple disease should think about why the government is opening additional hospital room in cities and a temp morgue for 13000.  That's scary.

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #1179 on March 27, 2020, 05:58:52 pm by RedRover45 »
They are also apparently opening up the hangers at Birmingham airport as a temporary morgue if necessary.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1180 on March 27, 2020, 05:59:37 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Really crunch time coming up for the future of the Euro.

Listen out for the word Coronabond.

The fundamental failure of the Euro structure, was to have monetary union without fiscal union. In other words, they all shared the same monetary policy and all had the same exchange rate and interest rate. But each country is responsible for its own debt.

That is an economically illogical position and led to the Euro crisis in 2011.

The impending debt levels for all countries will make the problems of 10 years ago look like a minor blip.

If Europe doesn't mutualism the debt, struggling countries like Italy, Greece and Spain will not have any chance whatsoever to survive economically. If Germany insists on the sort of austerity they imposed on Greece in 2011-2, they WILL destroy the Euro and probably the EU.

So it is a very worrying sign that Germany, Holland, Austria and Finland yesterday categorically refused to consider the concept of Coronabonds, which would mean the ECB underwriting countries' ability to borrow.

Big choice for Germany now. It can pull Europe together. Or it can destroy it.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1181 on March 27, 2020, 06:12:54 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
More from Iceland - don't think I've seen it here, apologies if so.

They found 40 mutations of covid, that's just in Iceland. Good luck with that vaccine exit strategy routine.

Near the bottom here.
https://english.alarabiya.net/en/features/2020/03/25/Coronavirus-Iceland-s-mass-testing-finds-half-of-carriers-show-no-symptoms

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1182 on March 27, 2020, 06:23:03 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
So that's 2 hospitals near Brum, one London way, just 37 to go and Johnson has hit his target. Plus all the extra nurses employed already. Vigilante gangs to help the police on the streets. He's even surpassed Labours idea of a 30 hour week in the main. All praise!

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #1183 on March 27, 2020, 06:39:05 pm by Copps is Magic »
https://aatishb.com/covidtrends/

Good resource. Shows exponetial growth and when and which countries have managed to divert from that path. (BST has got compteition here)

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #1184 on March 27, 2020, 06:55:53 pm by River Don »
To be pedantic, since it is a landmass they can't destroy Europe but they could destroy the EU.

If they chose to go the whole hog and underwrite the debt of the South then for me the EU takes a big step into becoming a united nation state.

The big question mark for me is how secure are the banks in the EU and the UK. If a big institution gets into trouble and needs a bailout will the UK contribute? And if a big UK bank needs bailing out will it now all fall on the UK taxpayer?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #1185 on March 27, 2020, 07:00:04 pm by River Don »

They found 40 mutations of covid, that's just in Iceland. Good luck with that vaccine exit strategy routine.

Near the bottom here.
https://english.alarabiya.net/en/features/2020/03/25/Coronavirus-Iceland-s-mass-testing-finds-half-of-carriers-show-no-symptoms

Just to clear this up, if you contact one of these strains of virus will that give you some resistance to the other varieties of the virus? As I understand it, the chances of becoming infected twice are remote. Is that correct?

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1186 on March 27, 2020, 07:10:38 pm by Bristol Red Rover »

Near the bottom here.

Just to clear this up, if you contact one of these strains of virus will that give you some resistance to the other varieties of the virus? As I understand it, the chances of becoming infected twice are remote. Is that correct?

I'm far from an expert, but as far as I understand, as it's a new virus we can only guess at present based on what happens with other viruses. Yes, a resistance shoulld be there to all versions once you've been infected with one. That may be an "immunity" type situation where you're barely show any symptoms if any, or it may be a "resistance" where you will have a milder immune system reaction than you would otherwise have.

So far it seems second infection responses have been in a similar order as with similar viruses, ie VERY VERY low. Usually there's other problems going on that cause that, but it can be somewhat random too.

As to how long that immunity, or the resistance, will last, we don't know, but likely to be long enough at least to have a significant effect on stopping the spread of corona. Despite criticism of the govs mention of herd immunity at the very early stage (lots of misunderstandings all round -  a long story), IMO the long term end of this is likely to be exactly that.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #1187 on March 27, 2020, 07:21:53 pm by River Don »
I imagine that's what ultimately happened with Spanish Flu.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #1188 on March 27, 2020, 07:31:26 pm by Copps is Magic »
Without a vaccine, its the only end.

We will reach a point where the virus can not find a viable host and slowly dies out. A critical mass of us need to become infected with it sooner rather than later. Maybe some folks out there are getting information fatigue because this was fairly well-established by the experts from the start. Where our government got confused was somehow thinking that we needed to accept this in a short timeframe, putting our critical healthcare faciltiies at serious risk.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1189 on March 27, 2020, 07:40:45 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
https://aatishb.com/covidtrends/

Good resource. Shows exponetial growth and when and which countries have managed to divert from that path. (BST has got compteition here)

Now THAT is a graphic. Really shows the effect of lockdown.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #1190 on March 27, 2020, 08:36:09 pm by BigH »

We will reach a point where the virus can not find a viable host and slowly dies out. A critical mass of us need to become infected with it sooner rather than later. Maybe some folks out there are getting information fatigue because this was fairly well-established by the experts from the start. Where our government got confused was somehow thinking that we needed to accept this in a short timeframe, putting our critical healthcare faciltiies at serious risk.
Totally agree Copps.

Except I think you're being extremely generous to a bunch of inveterate chancers who thought they could watch the whole thing play out in a matter of weeks or months.

Not so much 'confused' as 'negligent'.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1191 on March 27, 2020, 08:38:32 pm by SydneyRover »

Can’t see anyone wishing ill of him, you are seeing something that isn’t there

There's a whole cohort that see things that are not there Filo and yet fail to see stuff right in front of their noses.  :lol:

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1192 on March 27, 2020, 09:04:35 pm by Bristol Red Rover »

Yup, exactly. Short time frame option was madness, so "critical mass of us need to become infected with it sooner rather than later." - soon, but not too soon!

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1193 on March 27, 2020, 10:05:05 pm by SydneyRover »
Apologies if this has been posted before  :)

Trump is trying to stop people from seeing this ad on his response to coronavirus

Lawyers have sent cease and desist letters to stop stations from airing the video, which edits together Trump’s statements downplaying the crisis

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/27/donald-trump-coronavirus-response-us-advertisement

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #1194 on March 27, 2020, 10:51:41 pm by tyke1962 »
Apologies if this has been posted before  :)

Trump is trying to stop people from seeing this ad on his response to coronavirus

Lawyers have sent cease and desist letters to stop stations from airing the video, which edits together Trump’s statements downplaying the crisis

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/27/donald-trump-coronavirus-response-us-advertisement

My opinion is this Sydney , Trump is toast at the American Election , absolute toast even considering the Americans are even more incredibly stupid than our working class tories .

Let me make this perfectly clear before I add to this post , this sincerely isn't how I wanted things to be given the circumstances and the crisis we face .

However .

Society will change because of this pandemic as it did in 1945 and Churchill was routed at the GE .

It takes events such as we are experiencing right now to wake the country up and realise the path that's been historically taken amounts to shyte if the truth be told .

The shrinking of the state which the Tories own doesn't stack up .

The let's leave it to the market doesn't stack up , oh aye so why are Virgin Airways wanting a government bail out ?

Why did the banks collapse in 2008 ?

And yet when the shyte hits the fan and the market haven't the answers who is it they look to and save the day ? .

If Labour elect the credible candidate which isn't to say he's exactly my man they will absolutely romp home in four years time with a landslide victory .

The electorate do not like the crisis PM , historical fact .

« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 10:28:47 am by tyke1962 »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1195 on March 27, 2020, 11:12:30 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I agree that Trump is likely to be eviscerated in November (*).

There are only two options for America for the rest of the year.

1) 50,000 deaths in the first wave plus a lockdown that runs into late summer or early autumn, in a country that has very little in the way of a welfare state, with unemployment probably tripling or more.

2) No extended lockdown (which is what the Trump team seem to be pushing towards) in which case they'll have 2-4million deaths this summer.

No sitting leader survives either of those scenarios. Even if he'd played a blinder in dealing with the virus (as Brown did in dealing with the consequences of the GFC) a leader is still held responsible.

And yes, I know Trump's approval ratings has rocketed so far. There is always a rallying around the flag and the leader in the intial stages of a crisis. It's when that crisis becomes an ongoing grinding disaster that the support slips away.

(*)  That is, assuming the election happens in November. If Trump's approval figures start slipping in May/June, I guarantee you he will try to have the election postponed. THEN we will see how strong American democracy is.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #1196 on March 27, 2020, 11:13:57 pm by selby »
 According to a Gallup poll out today in the states, Donald Trumps presidency and his policies have the highest approval he has ever had of 49% of the electorate.
  And his handling of the Covid 19 crisis has seen him gain in the last week a 5% approval in the so called independent vote not aligned to any of the two parties.
  If that carries on the toaster will not switch on Tyke.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1197 on March 27, 2020, 11:30:48 pm by SydneyRover »
What's your take on the polls selby, why do they defy commonsense is Tyke correct saying "the Americans are even more incredibly stupid than our working class tories'' or are there other reasons?

Myself I can/could see why a small proportion of the vote could swing one way or another at election time in any country but to continually have voters sticking needles in their own eyes is baffling, even though opposition parties make mistakes.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1198 on March 28, 2020, 12:14:15 am by BillyStubbsTears »
By the way. Those of you still supporting Trump.

Michigan and Washington are two of the 5 worst hit states by CV-19.

Trump has had a press conference today, where he says he's told his federal CV team not to call the Governors of those two states because they don't treat him right.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PodSaveAmerica/status/1243669716872253440

Every single time you think you have found the base level of his depravity...

It genuinely is like listening to Don Corleone. You don't respect me? I don't help you when you come begging to me.

Fine for a mafia boss. But this is the f**king President of America.

And I suspect folk will just shrug their shoulders and ignore it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 12:17:12 am by BillyStubbsTears »

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1199 on March 28, 2020, 03:20:53 am by SydneyRover »
Apologies if this government has been criticised before or I have criticised this government but fmd don't they deserve it?  :)

''Documents show that officials working under former health secretary Jeremy Hunt told medical advisers three years ago to “reconsider” a formal recommendation that eye protection should be provided to all healthcare professionals who have close contact with pandemic influenza patients.

The expert advice was watered down after an “economic assessment” found a medical recommendation about providing visors or safety glasses to all hospital, ambulance and social care staff who have close contact with pandemic influenza patients would “substantially increase” the costs of stockpiling''

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/27/advice-on-protective-gear-for-nhs-staff-was-rejected-owing-to-cost

TinyPortal © 2005-2012