Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 08:18:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 882790 times)

IDM

• VSC Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #4500 on May 25, 2020, 02:22:11 pm by IDM »
There could be over 36000 similar letters sent to MPs.  More as there will be more than one devastated relative for many of the deaths, all of whom followed the rules and not their instincts.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4501 on May 25, 2020, 02:25:16 pm by wilts rover »
I notice Prime Minister Cummings will be addressing the nation later.

I hope the fist question journalists ask him is if he has read his own Government's Code of Conduct for Special Advisor's. Point 14 of which states:

"Special advisers must not take public part in political controversy, through any form of statement whether in speeches or letters to the press, or in books, social media, articles or leaflets.

They must observe discretion and express comment with moderation, avoiding personal attacks, and would not normally speak in public for their minister or the department."

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/832599/201612_Code_of_Conduct_for_Special_Advisers.pdf

One rule for Them. One rule for Us.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #4502 on May 25, 2020, 02:29:16 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Wilts

Cummings has been above that rule ever since he was a SpAd for Gove at the Dept of Education in 2012, and he ran the @toryeducation Twitter account, dedicated to doing insider hit jobs on politicians, civil servants and media bods who crossed him.

I've not been calling him a nasty maniac for years for nowt. He is. Nasty and a maniac.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #4503 on May 25, 2020, 02:31:41 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
But he's also very smart. When The Observer's editor asked him if he ran it contributed to @toryeducation, Cummings replied, "Don't be stupid, I am not @toryeducation."

When the editor pressed him, saying that didn't answer the question he asked, and repeated the precise question, Cummings said he would not waste anymore time on this.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #4504 on May 25, 2020, 02:41:18 pm by IDM »
For what it’s worth, I just emailed my local MP, using very moderated language and tone.  I am very happy for anyone to lift this and copy into an email to their MP.

“Dear Alicia,

Like many of the rest of this country, I am appalled at the behaviour of Dominic Cummings.  It may just be true that there are circumstances under the governments rules/laws/guidelines/instructions by which it was legitimate to move his family.  However those exceptions, or the use of “instinct” and “interpretation” have not been known throughout the population.

Many, if not most, of the population has abided by the rules - particularly “Stay at Home” and hundreds have lost loved ones without being able to say goodbye.  Imagine their heartache and anger now that it appears that they could have visited their dying relatives as that would definitely have been the “instinctive” thing to do?

Even if Mr Cummings’ actions are proven to have been technically correct, at the time, he must be aware in his position that they would send out the wrong message to the public.  The tipping point therefore was on Saturday when Mr Cummings said he didn’t care what this looked like.

For someone to be involved with the making of the rules, to claim not to care about perception of his apparent rule breaking, is an utter disgrace.

Then for Mr Johnson to publicly support Mr Cummings, as Prime Minister, shows complete disregard and contempt for the public and those who elected him into office.

Furthermore, the current guidance on working, is that people must work from home if they can?  Please can you therefore ask why Mr Cummings needs to visit Downing Street to meet the Prime Minister, when there are plenty of methods to meet remotely?

I hope you act with integrity and voice your opposition to these actions.”

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #4505 on May 25, 2020, 02:58:44 pm by Filo »
The next episode is 4pm if anyone is interested

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #4506 on May 25, 2020, 03:11:54 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Good to see so many Tory MPs are taking their constituents' anger over Cumgate seriously.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlexSelbyB/status/1264876429579255808

Behold. Lay thine eyes upon the field where the Tory party grows its f**ks. Thou shalt see that it is barren.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #4507 on May 25, 2020, 03:17:14 pm by Filo »
Good to see so many Tory MPs are taking their constituents' anger over Cumgate seriously.

Behold. Lay thine eyes upon the field where the Tory party grows its f**ks. Thou shalt see that it is barren.

Remarkable that they’ve all said exactly the same words! 😂😂😂😂😂

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #4508 on May 25, 2020, 03:17:51 pm by Copps is Magic »

It's like a beautiful orchestra. But who is playing the triangle and who is playing the trombone?

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #4509 on May 25, 2020, 03:18:00 pm by Not Now Kato »
Is johnson such a coward he can't front up to the media?

Has cumming spoken to the nation before?

According to the 'rules', no Special Advisor should be doing....

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/832599/201612_Code_of_Conduct_for_Special_Advisers.pdf

.... but then, rules don't apply to Dominic Cummings!

Edited, Just seen that Wilts has already posted this.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #4510 on May 25, 2020, 03:20:09 pm by Filo »

Can he resign and then talk?

But that would pose the question of why an unemployed civilian is holding a press conference in Downing Streets rose garden 😂

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #4511 on May 25, 2020, 03:26:40 pm by Iberian Red »

It's like a beautiful orchestra. But who is playing the triangle and who is playing the trombone?
Boris obviously trombones Cummings. Probably tea bags him too.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #4512 on May 25, 2020, 03:35:27 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Can he resign and then talk?

But that would pose the question of why an unemployed civilian is holding a press conference in Downing Streets rose garden 😂

I suppose he can, but don't you think it would be a bit strange if his statement was to announce his resignation and then to take questions? Usually when someone resigns they just make a statement and that's it. You'd normally only take questions as an attempt to justify your statement.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #4513 on May 25, 2020, 03:47:19 pm by Copps is Magic »
I am still a bit flabbergasted that the government's press advisor is just above to go live to give his own account of his behaviour to the press.

And not an indepenedent inquiry into his behaviour, which is what should happen.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #4514 on May 25, 2020, 03:48:53 pm by drfchound »
For what it’s worth, I just emailed my local MP, using very moderated language and tone.  I am very happy for anyone to lift this and copy into an email to their MP.

“Dear Alicia,

Like many of the rest of this country, I am appalled at the behaviour of Dominic Cummings.  It may just be true that there are circumstances under the governments rules/laws/guidelines/instructions by which it was legitimate to move his family.  However those exceptions, or the use of “instinct” and “interpretation” have not been known throughout the population.

Many, if not most, of the population has abided by the rules - particularly “Stay at Home” and hundreds have lost loved ones without being able to say goodbye.  Imagine their heartache and anger now that it appears that they could have visited their dying relatives as that would definitely have been the “instinctive” thing to do?

Even if Mr Cummings’ actions are proven to have been technically correct, at the time, he must be aware in his position that they would send out the wrong message to the public.  The tipping point therefore was on Saturday when Mr Cummings said he didn’t care what this looked like.

For someone to be involved with the making of the rules, to claim not to care about perception of his apparent rule breaking, is an utter disgrace.

Then for Mr Johnson to publicly support Mr Cummings, as Prime Minister, shows complete disregard and contempt for the public and those who elected him into office.

Furthermore, the current guidance on working, is that people must work from home if they can?  Please can you therefore ask why Mr Cummings needs to visit Downing Street to meet the Prime Minister, when there are plenty of methods to meet remotely?

I hope you act with integrity and voice your opposition to these actions.”

You might be lucky enough to get a reply IDM.
I emailed our local MP three times over the past ten years and wasn’t afforded a response.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #4515 on May 25, 2020, 03:49:18 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
No way is he resigning.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #4516 on May 25, 2020, 03:51:00 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Going to be interesting TV though.

Either he changes the habit of a lifetime and shows some humility to try to unshit the bed.

Or he does his usual thing of not hiding his scorn for everyone who dares to question him.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #4517 on May 25, 2020, 04:07:51 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Going to be interesting TV though.

Either he changes the habit of a lifetime and shows some humility to try to unshit the bed.

Or he does his usual thing of not hiding his scorn for everyone who dares to question him.

My gut feeling is that it's not enough for him to sneer at the nation from behind Boris' back, he wants to do it almost face-to-face as he tries to bareface his way out of the scandal.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #4518 on May 25, 2020, 04:11:07 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Typical of him to keep everyone waiting till he is ready.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #4519 on May 25, 2020, 04:13:35 pm by drfchound »
All good things come to he who waits.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #4520 on May 25, 2020, 04:15:03 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
In a reasonable world, the journalists and cameramen would now be packing up and giving him the rods back that he is showing to the entire country.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #4521 on May 25, 2020, 04:16:12 pm by drfchound »
It will be on the news at six o’clock.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #4522 on May 25, 2020, 04:19:33 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
You are once again missing the point Hound. This IS the man. This is who he is. He is utterly contemptuous of people he sees as unworthy of him. They simply do not count in his world.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #4523 on May 25, 2020, 04:23:32 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
First question: Mr Cummings. Is your choice to keep everyone waiting until you were ready just another facet of your elitist, self-important attitude?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #4524 on May 25, 2020, 04:26:26 pm by drfchound »
So why are you surprised that he is late.
If the journalists all clear off then good for them, it would probably be a good thing wouldn’t it.
Sooner or later he has to make his announcement and if he does we can catch it later in the news.
Is it really so vital that we all see it now or can it wait half an hour or so.
I know that there will be forum members who want to strike the first blow after he has done his bit.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #4525 on May 25, 2020, 04:27:35 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I'm not in the least surprised. I'm just pointing out how his personality and MO are. He's a horrible, unpleasant, demeaning man.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #4526 on May 25, 2020, 04:28:28 pm by drfchound »
I would never have guessed that.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #4527 on May 25, 2020, 04:28:58 pm by Filo »
Daily briefing at 5pm, less time for probing questions

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #4528 on May 25, 2020, 04:30:19 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Hound.

I'm not saying that in any way from a party political angle. I'm saying it because I've watched him closely for nearly a decade.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #4529 on May 25, 2020, 04:32:05 pm by drfchound »
I’m not arguing with you BST.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 07:32:34 pm by drfchound »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012