Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:36:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Devante Cole - signed?  (Read 18595 times)

the vicar

• Forum Member
Re: Devante Cole - signed?
« Reply #120 on January 27, 2020, 05:24:30 pm by the vicar »
Let's take this as  positive,I'm pleasantly surprised 😳
I don't know why you are surprised, as Wigan wanted rid we needed a striker although he has not scored many, but he could do us a job

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #121 on January 27, 2020, 05:38:56 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Ok, I'll get this one in before the usual suspects.  He's in the last six months of his contract, he's able to talk to other clubs about a deal for next season   :woot:

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #122 on January 27, 2020, 05:47:46 pm by adamtherover »
We have an option to extend it, but is that 100% our decision, or has Cole got the ability to say no. Which effectly makes the option worthless?

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #123 on January 27, 2020, 05:50:28 pm by the vicar »
His attitude comes from his dad. Barnsley had trouble with his dad when he was there, if he was not picked his dad stormed in wanting to know why he was not playing, so if he does that here I hope DM tells him to do one and to keep his nose out

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #124 on January 27, 2020, 06:09:21 pm by Retdon1 »
His attitude comes from his dad. Barnsley had trouble with his dad when he was there, if he was not picked his dad stormed in wanting to know why he was not playing, so if he does that here I hope DM tells him to do one and to keep his nose out

His Dad is Southend’s forwards coach coincidentally

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #125 on January 27, 2020, 06:09:51 pm by DonnyOsmond »

And Mandeville was slaughtered for not storming in and asking why he wasn't picked. :laugh:

South East Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #126 on January 27, 2020, 06:14:10 pm by South East Rover »
so many things that could have got in the way of a long-term/permanent deal, including what the play/his agent might have actually been looking for? e.g. maybe Devant wanted to play in championship, so he signed until end of season and if we get promoted we've got him in the bag etc etc

so many reasons why we only signed him to the summer. Let's just look at this as a huge positive, a proven striker with potential to become a great signing!

Absolutley spot on

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #127 on January 27, 2020, 06:16:40 pm by ravenrover »
I would love to be a fly on the wall if Andrew Cole stormed in on Darren, that is if had the balls to do it in the 1st place😄

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #128 on January 27, 2020, 06:26:44 pm by steve@dcfd »
As per comments earlier in the thread, I was really happy with this one when the news broke. He’s nowhere near the finished article but he has a decent pedigree, height, pace and potential to get back on track when he settles here. The length of the contract is just perplexing. It smacks of yet another short term fix and an issue rolled forward to the summer.

We’re constantly having to review contracts. We’ve just 8 contracted senior players for next season, and as soon as that kicks off we’ll need to be mindful that, of that 8, Lawlor, Halliday, James, Wright and Gomes will be entering their last years meaning more decisions will need to be made about their futures.

It wouldn’t be so much of an issue but we don’t seem to progress things quickly. Rewind a year and Sadlier came in on an 18 month deal, presumably to show what he can do and earn an improved contract. Not sure what else he could do other than cement a place in the team as the top scorer and (second to Coppinger at the moment) assist maker and still that hasn’t been resolved.

If Devante Cole comes in and scores something approaching double figures in half a season then we’d better be acting quickly on his contract. And the rest.

The long term planning isn’t evident yet. And before anyone starts I’m not moaning for the sake of it. I am happy with this calibre of player. But where is the medium to long term structure? Or will that become clearer in the next few days.

Jon I don’t think we will see the medium to long term structure until the summer ( hopefully).
We’ve signed a striker / forward who has something to prove.
Good luck to him I hope he can help us score more goals.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #129 on January 27, 2020, 08:04:10 pm by tyke1962 »

Well that's only part of the story .

Devante regularly turned up late for training which isn't likely to go down well with an old skool manager like Danny Wilson .

In the end Danny sent him packing back to Man City because he was more bother than he was worth .

It has to be said Devante was a young lad at the time and hopefully he's matured now .

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #130 on January 27, 2020, 08:12:58 pm by since-1969 »
It’s not a loan..

Yes the current deal is no longer than a loan may have been, but it’s not a loan, period.
Yes , a strange one this , buy him but then offer new contract at the end . Leaves a a few loose ends ? Stay or leave for nothing . Let’s hope he likes it here and settles quickly with a few goals .

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #131 on January 27, 2020, 08:23:43 pm by graingrover »
Jeez ...I believe in Darren Moore’ s way....whatever it may be ..he certainly doesn’t need to double check with me on his deals ,,how about with you ?

Magicman

• Forum Member
« Reply #132 on January 27, 2020, 08:25:50 pm by Magicman »
I'm sure I will get the best out of him if  there is anything in him

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #133 on January 27, 2020, 08:32:29 pm by dknward2 »
As I see it, it looks like if we can get him on form and fit we could have a good player.

As regards the contract for me I think it forces Cole to perform to earn a longer contract with us or try to impress so he can get somewhere else.

The clause in his contract to extend maybe - play x amount of games or score x amount of goals to instantly get the extra year.

Can’t see him messing about or being lazy Moore won’t stand for it and neither will whiteman on the pitch.

The last striker we got that didn’t have a great record we soon turned him around into a 1 in 3 player

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #134 on January 27, 2020, 08:44:00 pm by les@donr »
Great signing, give the lad a chance. Hope he gets a run out against Southend tomorrow.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #135 on January 27, 2020, 09:18:13 pm by Canadian Rover »
We've all been waiting for a forward. We have one. Happy!

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #136 on January 27, 2020, 09:20:46 pm by Campsall rover »
We've all been waiting for a forward. We have one. Happy!
Yes we have done well to get him in January. Don’t really know what some people expect.

Danensian

• VSC Member
« Reply #137 on January 27, 2020, 09:35:46 pm by Danensian »
He has played against us for a number of clubs including Barnsley and Fleetwood and always looked a threat.  If he's got half of his father's ability he will do well

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #138 on January 27, 2020, 10:03:27 pm by phil old leake »
If he’d got half his fathers ability he wouldn’t be signing for us

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #139 on January 27, 2020, 10:03:41 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Welcome, welcome Devante Cole,

Now avante, & score a goal!

I know, pure genius.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #140 on January 27, 2020, 10:29:14 pm by bpoolrover »
Let’s be honest he is a big step up from Thomas and Bingham so it’s a big plus, saying that you can’t fault the effort them 2 put in

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #141 on January 27, 2020, 10:30:11 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
It’s not a loan..

Yes the current deal is no longer than a loan may have been, but it’s not a loan, period.
Yes , a strange one this , buy him but then offer new contract at the end . Leaves a a few loose ends ? Stay or leave for nothing . Let’s hope he likes it here and settles quickly with a few goals .

I blame the Board.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #142 on January 27, 2020, 10:47:27 pm by the vicar »

Devante regularly turned up late for training which isn't likely to go down well with an old skool manager like Danny Wilson .

In the end Danny sent him packing back to Man City because he was more bother than he was worth .

It has to be said Devante was a young lad at the time and hopefully he's matured now .
I was going to say that but I would have been called a doom monger for telling the truth, because they don't like that on here

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #143 on January 27, 2020, 10:59:25 pm by silent majority »

I was going to say that but I would have been called a doom monger for telling the truth, because they don't like that on here

Who’s ‘they’ vicar?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #144 on January 27, 2020, 11:21:34 pm by Campsall rover »
What is the truth?
A lot of what is posted is people making supposedly factual statements which can’t be substantiated because they are not facts and are only opinions.

People don’t like the truth? Yes they actually do. Well most of us do.
But their is a lot of garbage Vicar being posted, it’s not the truth. That’s the problem.

jackthelad

• Forum Member
« Reply #145 on January 27, 2020, 11:29:45 pm by jackthelad »
It’s not the most exciting signing in the world, but he’s a good age, it’s a permanent and he is a relatively big name. We could’ve and we have signed a lot worse in the past so he will definitely get a chance from me.

People going on about his past at Barnsley etc like they’ve never made a mistake in life, when I was a younger lad I was often late to work and my attitude was probably quite poor towards most things... am I the same person I was 5 or 6 years ago? Not at all....

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #146 on January 27, 2020, 11:32:18 pm by Campsall rover »
It’s not the most exciting signing in the world, but he’s a good age, it’s a permanent and he is a relatively big name. We could’ve and we have signed a lot worse in the past so he will definitely get a chance from me.

People going on about his past at Barnsley etc like they’ve never made a mistake in life, when I was a younger lad I was often late to work and my attitude was probably quite poor towards most things... am I the same person I was 5 or 6 years ago? Not at all....
You mean you are not Jackthelad any more. ;)

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #147 on January 27, 2020, 11:41:13 pm by Donny Exile in York »
Good signing... dont think it's been greedy or sounding too much like Oliver Twist to say... can we have some more please..

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #148 on January 27, 2020, 11:52:23 pm by the vicar »

Who’s ‘they’ vicar?

a lot on here as if you say anything about the players the club or the directors even if true, they call toy a doom monger, but I must say they have not said that about me, or I don't think they have lol

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #149 on January 28, 2020, 01:14:52 am by godlike1 »
What about Ennis can't drop after his performance on Friday, laying 2 up front?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012