Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:53:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Devante Cole - signed?  (Read 18574 times)

vaya

• Forum Member
Re: Devante Cole - signed?
« Reply #60 on January 27, 2020, 01:21:55 pm by vaya »
Idd be interested to know how much the undisclosed fee is to say he’s only signed till May

Not sure on the face of it the length of contract would impact much on the fee - Wigan would possibly want the same fee irrespective of the contract length our end, that's not really their concern once he's off their books.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on January 27, 2020, 01:22:07 pm by NickDRFC »
24 in 67 when played up front in League One.

Where do you get that from? Just had a look on Wikipedia and his overall L1 record is 32 in 148, I’m struggling to see where you could divide it up to get the figures you have.

I’m not sure he’s been brought in as the answer up top, more for competition for the front 4 places. I’d be delighted to be proven wrong, mind!

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on January 27, 2020, 01:22:26 pm by Metalmicky »
Young Cole last played on 21 Dec 19 (sub appearance) so I guess he will need a bit of time to get up to speed....... just to cheer everyone up..... :)

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on January 27, 2020, 01:24:36 pm by turnbull for england »
could it be he sees himself as a  championship standard player  and wants  to keep his options open  ?  Either way hes our forward  now and thats all that matters

TommyC

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on January 27, 2020, 01:25:19 pm by TommyC »
I would be amazed if there isn't the option for us to extend for another year or two come the end of the season. Free Press are reporting that we have an option for another 12 months if we choose to exercise it. If that is the case then it doesn't sound like bad business to me. Get him in, see how he does until the end of the season and then if he's any good we know we have him tied down for next season too. If he turns out to be crap then we say goodbye without having him sat warming the bench or paying up his contract. It's clear that DRFC have a real aversion to committing to longer term contracts and don't want to find themselves in a situation like Sheffield United having Leon Clark sat there on 10 grand a week.

If it had been announced as an 18 month contract but with the option for us to terminate it at 6 months if we choose to do so then that sounds much better in my opinion. And if the reports are correct, this is exactly what we have.

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on January 27, 2020, 01:26:26 pm by NewDonny »
What makes you think he’s a wide man?
[/quot

He’s a CF not a wide man

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on January 27, 2020, 01:27:10 pm by Metalmicky »
He also played (and scored) against Rangers in front of 50k fans at Ibrox in October 2019.....

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on January 27, 2020, 01:27:50 pm by vaya »
could it be he sees himself as a  championship standard player  and wants  to keep his options open  ?  Either way hes our forward  now and thats all that matters

A fair point re. him keeping his options open. - I'm having trouble envisaging a situation where a player wants a 2/3 year contact, we offer six months and he takes it.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on January 27, 2020, 01:29:56 pm by Metalmicky »
I would be amazed if there isn't the option for us to extend for another year or two come the end of the season. Free Press are reporting that we have an option for another 12 months if we choose to exercise it. If that is the case then it doesn't sound like bad business to me. Get him in, see how he does until the end of the season and then if he's any good we know we have him tied down for next season too. If he turns out to be crap then we say goodbye without having him sat warming the bench or paying up his contract. It's clear that DRFC have a real aversion to committing to longer term contracts and don't want to find themselves in a situation like Sheffield United having Leon Clark sat there on 10 grand a week.

If it had been announced as an 18 month contract but with the option for us to terminate it at 6 months if we choose to do so then that sounds much better in my opinion. And if the reports are correct, this is exactly what we have.

I'd agree with all of that - it also means that young Cole will hope to impress and earn an extended contract...

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on January 27, 2020, 01:30:14 pm by phil old leake »
I am thankfully surprised at this. I genuinely didn’t think we would get anyone in. Let’s hope he’s not the last. He should be match fit and ready to go
Hopefully he will be part of us scoring more and pushing on into the top 6
Come on the Reds

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on January 27, 2020, 01:32:24 pm by IDM »
Until this morning, was Cole on any of our fans’ radars as a potential signing.?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on January 27, 2020, 01:33:40 pm by DonnyOsmond »
24 in 67 when played up front in League One.

Where do you get that from? Just had a look on Wikipedia and his overall L1 record is 32 in 148, I’m struggling to see where you could divide it up to get the figures you have.

I’m not sure he’s been brought in as the answer up top, more for competition for the front 4 places. I’d be delighted to be proven wrong, mind!

Transfermarkt.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on January 27, 2020, 01:34:04 pm by pib »
Could be a good one this.

Length of the contract is a bit of a risk but it makes sense - if he does well we can try to sign him up for longer, but if it doesn't work out we're not saddled with him for ages a la Kiwomya.

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on January 27, 2020, 01:40:36 pm by keith79 »
We have paid a fee for him according to the Wigan website

PACMAN

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on January 27, 2020, 01:42:33 pm by PACMAN »
Until this morning, was Cole on any of our fans’ radars as a potential signing.?

https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=275638.0

Yes he was, good signing this, surprised by length of contract as is everyone else but fairly certain it must suit both parties so we'll see I suppose?

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on January 27, 2020, 01:45:56 pm by DRNaith »

https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=275638.0

Yes he was, good signing this, surprised by length of contract as is everyone else but fairly certain it must suit both parties so we'll see I suppose?

Yep, gives both parties chance to prove themselves. Extreme alternate example is Malik Wilkes at Barnsley, on loan at Hull, 4 year contract and Barnsley are stuck with him.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on January 27, 2020, 01:46:09 pm by Jonathan »
Just when I thought we were starting to build on the 8 senior players we have contracted beyond the current campaign...

Seriously I thought this was an excellent acquisition for us to work with over a period of time and get him back to his best. But the contract length doesn’t enable him to get settled, and if he does well then it doesn’t remotely protect the club’s investment. A bizarre deal.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on January 27, 2020, 01:46:41 pm by wing commander »
We have paid a fee for him according to the Wigan website

Motherwell wanted to keep him on loan but Wigan recalled him which intimates this has been going on a while.He was out of contract at the end of the season and they werent going to offer him anything past that.

Motherwell by all accounts weren't paying Wigan much for the loan so it made more sense to bring him back.Get a better percentage of his wages till the end of the season and get him off their books.That will be all the undisclosed fee is..

I cant see this being Moore's plan A tbh but we all know we need at least 2 strikers so hopefully one more to come.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on January 27, 2020, 01:48:17 pm by idler »
At Bradford my mates said that he took the wrong option too many times and was greedy.
Hopefully he has moved on now with more experience.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on January 27, 2020, 01:51:03 pm by dickos1 »
I’m trying to work out how this deal fits in with what we’re told on Twitter regarding one deal would effect others.
Does this mean we’ve signed him now instead of idah on loan?

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on January 27, 2020, 01:53:45 pm by RugbyRover »
who would have thought it was Lawlor we were waiting to get off the books before we could bring somebody in. :ohmy:

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on January 27, 2020, 01:55:40 pm by Filo »
Good signing, not sure we should be paying a fee for someone that might only be here until May

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on January 27, 2020, 01:59:07 pm by jmt23 »
Suppose it depends on the amount

jackthelad

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on January 27, 2020, 02:00:17 pm by jackthelad »
Not sure really what suggests that he is a good signing,but it's a signing and hes certainly got better credentials than Thomas and Bingham so I'll take it.

Contract length is baffling.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on January 27, 2020, 02:16:11 pm by donnievic »
I think it was Cole who scored in the 90th minute (was it for Crewe) to put them 2-1 up at the KM.
The ground virtually emptied but we scored two in add on time to win the match.
sure he hasn’t played for crewe,possibly scored against us for fleetwood

ScillyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on January 27, 2020, 02:26:53 pm by ScillyRover »
If he produces anything like this finishing, he could be exciting to watch

https://youtu.be/m2GFqfVvaOw
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 02:29:46 pm by ScillyRover »

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on January 27, 2020, 02:27:44 pm by Drover »
It's a loan in all but name.

Even if that was true,it leaves another loan spot available for match day squad still,so still better than a loan.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on January 27, 2020, 02:29:34 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
As usual, some people always looking for the negatives. It is what it is and I'm sure DM has considered it carefully yet some of you think you know better!

Seem to recall Blades were after him at one point, possibly at the time when he ended up at Fleetwood. It's a start and let's hope DM gets the best out of him.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on January 27, 2020, 02:31:48 pm by since-1969 »
One down how many still to go ?

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on January 27, 2020, 02:33:04 pm by Alan Southstand »
We needed attacking players and we’ve got one. That’s the big positive with, hopefully, a couple more to come.

The contract length doesn’t fit DM’s stated long term strategy for the Club, but first things first. He is, albeit, short term possibly, our player and that maybe suits him and us.

More to follow? I certainly hope so.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012