Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 06:29:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Did anyone...  (Read 7889 times)

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
Re: Did anyone...
« Reply #60 on February 02, 2020, 10:26:17 am by Lesonthewest »
Maybe but it’s not a full backs job to be winning headers at set pieces. We have plenty of others for that.

James has been terrific this season and must be very pissed off
Sorry dickos, “it is not a full backs job to defend set pieces”  it is their job. It is everyone’s job in the penalty area to defend them.
John was probably selected because of his physicality and arial ability.
Not saying it was the right selection but just why i think he was selected.

Of course it is, but for me you don’t pick a full back on his ability in the air.
James gives us so much going forward, John gives us very little.

Think of all the best full backs that’s ever played the game, none of them were in the side for their Ariel ability.

Bang on Dickos, James was dropped, came back in, was our best player in my opinion, then dropped again. As soon as John is fit he plays. Wrong decision for me, especially when Gomez plays aswell, gives us virtually nothing going forward.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on February 02, 2020, 10:27:55 am by The Beast »
I really rate James, think he’s a terrific player but DM sees the team day in day out and will have been watching videos of Fleetwood, he must have his reasons, personally I prefer John to Wright at centre back but that’s just my opinion, maybe he has to play John as part of the agreement, who knows.
We don’t have to look for a scapegoat every time we lose though, there’s two in football match and sometimes you draw or lose. We were second favourites today at Fleetwood, so not a massive shock we lost, they were at home and have some quality players. That’s football, get over it! Let’s get behind the team for the next game.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on February 02, 2020, 11:03:14 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I wasn't at the game yesterday so difficult to comment but there's one thing for sure, irrespective of the tactical selections, there's no excuse for the players not to be at it!

As a group, they've got a fantastic opportunity to do something special this season and need to grasp it. Going through the motions won't win enough matches.

I really hope that shows on Tuesday, when again conditions won't be great. They've got to really roll their sleeves up and try to dominate the opposition from the off.
I disagree that “we weren’t at it”  DBR.
The effort was there it was just the execution that was not.

As usual over reactions to a defeat as always. No we weren’t at our best not by a long way but football has fine margins between winning and losing and that was the case yesterday.
We also got no help from the ref who allowed Fleetwood to completely get away their horrible spoiling tactics.

As I said, I wasn't there so just going on what others have said.

Can't change the result, just hope DM has learned a bit more.

I'm sure Senny didn't mean to get impeded at the corner and I'm sure Sadlier didn't mean to cock up his clearance. Shit happens sometimes. Certainly not a team you want to be giving cheap free kicks to because they don't need a second invitation to get it into the box where mistakes can happen.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on February 02, 2020, 12:07:03 pm by RoversAlias »
Sha66y you keep saying Darren made these changes for the Sunderland game but you're wrong. After beating Peterborough 3-0 with John at left back and without Coppinger we made just the one change for the Sunderland game, Copps back in for Sheaf. We missed Sheaf's tackling in midfield that day. Gomes played in both games.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on February 02, 2020, 12:34:18 pm by bpoolrover »
I think the difference is the quality of opposition, for me we could have been far more adventurous against fleetwood

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on February 02, 2020, 01:42:08 pm by since-1969 »
Why is it we can never get the better of teams like Fleetwood or Gillingham Or Wimbledon, teams that get in your face and would  sooner take a dive rather than play you at football and refs just go along with it . 

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on February 02, 2020, 02:01:08 pm by RoversAlias »
We've literally beaten both Fleetwood and Wimbledon this season.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on February 02, 2020, 02:29:21 pm by Campsall rover »
We've literally
beaten both Fleetwood and Wimbledon this season.
At home Alias we have.  Away from home we seem to struggle on all three of those grounds every season. ( inc. Gillingham )
Accrington is a fourth one.
Let’s hope we can win there this season.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on February 02, 2020, 02:42:18 pm by RoversAlias »
Indeed Campsall, but that wasn't what since-1969 was saying so it seems.

It is frustrating when these physical sides get the better of us but it's often an effective style against teams at this level like ourselves who try to play football.

We can't win every game. Some always look for deeper excuses for it when we do lose.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on February 02, 2020, 02:54:27 pm by Donnywolf »
I think the difference is the quality of opposition, for me we could have been far more adventurous against fleetwood

As I said on this Thread or elsewhere - if we played as we know we can then 99 times out of 100 we would beat Fleetwood.

This was NOT the 1 out of 100 that they would win becasue we did not play as we know we can. We were below par - and whether that was "the number" they did on us tactically and on the pitch who knows BUT we would as someone else commented have got more joy if we had harrassed them in the way that they did to us

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on February 02, 2020, 03:02:52 pm by phil old leake »
Just watched the EFL show. Dieng had a mare for the first goal unfortunately

Reesielad

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on February 02, 2020, 03:08:16 pm by Reesielad »

At least if any scouts or his parent club were watching then that might be the sole reason they decide against him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on February 02, 2020, 03:08:35 pm by Campsall rover »
2 mistakes all season.
I can live with that.  Great keeper who has proved he is human.
Look at Hull keeper yesterday. It happens.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on February 02, 2020, 03:27:50 pm by DonnyOsmond »

I think the weather played a part.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on February 03, 2020, 09:18:57 am by Alan Southstand »
Guys, we didn’t lose the game because a John played instead of James. Neither goal was down to a mistake by John. AND, they scored 2, whilst we only scored 1. I’d be looking at why we only got 1 goal as being more the problem than any other. There seems to be something missing in our top 4, imho.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on February 03, 2020, 03:59:45 pm by scawsby steve »
Guys, we didn’t lose the game because a John played instead of James. Neither goal was down to a mistake by John. AND, they scored 2, whilst we only scored 1. I’d be looking at why we only got 1 goal as being more the problem than any other. There seems to be something missing in our top 4, imho.

Alan, in the second half their right flank was sorely exposed and often wide open. Reece James would have exploited that.

He's just a better natural attacking left back than Cameron John, who is a natural centre back.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012