Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 10:19:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Next 3  (Read 3694 times)

anton123

• Forum Member
Next 3
« on February 03, 2020, 12:04:59 pm by anton123 »
I know there is the saying of no easy games but think we need to take 9 points from next 3 if we want to make playoffs as we have some tougher games coming up after that

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

CantleyRed

• Forum Member
Re: Next 3
« Reply #1 on February 03, 2020, 12:09:59 pm by CantleyRed »
I'd say that was the absolute minimum but more would be even better.

firestarter

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 03, 2020, 12:29:17 pm by firestarter »
Don’t you mean absolute maximum?

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 03, 2020, 12:51:31 pm by adamtherover »
I'd say that was the absolute minimum but more would be even better.

agreed, im looking for at least 10 or 11 from the next 3 games, that will deffo see us in good stead :-)

#obviousbanter!

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 03, 2020, 12:54:07 pm by Upton Rover »
Next 4 games all very much winnable. I think we will win them all and end up in the top 6

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 03, 2020, 01:20:48 pm by Chris the Rover »
I wish I had your confidence 👌

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 03, 2020, 02:04:17 pm by drfchound »
Next 4 games all very much winnable. I think we will win them all and end up in the top 6

#chicken counting.

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 03, 2020, 03:06:57 pm by 5 on Tour »
Away at Gillingham more than winnable? Christ. I thought I was optimistic.

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 03, 2020, 03:25:18 pm by elmsallrover »
Do people still think we will make the play off's

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 03, 2020, 03:58:04 pm by donnievic »
We have a chance yes along with another 10 or so teams

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 03, 2020, 04:18:31 pm by Colin C No.3 »
DM needs to quickly integrate Okenabirhie & Cole into the team, either one or both in order to give Ennis some support & be able to create more space for himself.

At present Niall has two defenders up his backside as soon as the ball arrives to him. He needs someone alongside to split the defenders & give him room to turn & run with the ball. However, he too needs to learn how to play off a strike partner, get his head up & look for options, a luxury he’s not had much of thus far, but his game will benefit & I’m sure he’ll improve as a player with a strike partner.

We would have had more joy Saturday if we’d had two up front. A pair of strikers would have kept the big bully boys of Fleetwood more occupied. They certainly looked all at sea (no pun intended) when we pressed them.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 03, 2020, 05:16:18 pm by Campsall rover »
Do you?

Yes i do we have more than a good chance.

Reesielad

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 03, 2020, 06:08:26 pm by Reesielad »
Are we in a better or worse position now compared to last season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 03, 2020, 06:40:57 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Do you?

For about the last 2 months, the side with the 6th best record in the division has been on target to get 71-72 points. It's barely fluttered half a point away from that.

No guarantee that will be the target, but if it is, we need 31-32 points from 17 games.

That's...challenging.

Me, I'm expecting us to miss out. Prepared to be pleasantly surprised though.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 03, 2020, 06:46:46 pm by Campsall rover »
Do you?

For about the last 2 months, the side with the 6th best record in the division has been on target to get 71-72 points. It's barely fluttered half a point away from that.

No guarantee that will be the target, but if it is, we need 31-32 points from 17 games.

That's...challenging.

Next 3 games are crucial. I do think we probably need 3 wins to give us a realistic chance of the play offs.
You never can tell but with so many away games to play as BST says it will be challenging.
Positive thinking though goes a very long way to achieving.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on February 03, 2020, 06:47:43 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

We are in a significantly worse position this season, on a number of scores.

1) We had 45 points after 27 games last season, compared to 41 now.

2) Looking at sides around us, we were on target to finish 3 points behind the 6th best side at this time last year. This year, we are on target to finish 6 points behind.

3) Biggest issue for me. Last season, we were in a top 7 that had broken clear of the rest (and remained the top 7 through to the end of the season). We needed to do better than just one side to make the playoffs (Peterborough) and we did so. This year, we'll need a better run in than at least 4 sides around us.

I don't think we are quite good enough to do that. Not a million miles off, but not quite there.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on February 03, 2020, 06:49:19 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
CR.

I do agree though. Win the next 3 and that may put a different complexion on things.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 03, 2020, 06:54:47 pm by NickDRFC »

Without checking I’d say worse, partly because I seem to remember us being consistently in 6th or 7th from about Christmas onwards, and partly because I reckon people would be pointing out we were in a worse position last year if that were actually the case.

I doubt there was that much difference though, certainly not points wise.

I’m in the same camp as BST here, if I had to make a bet one way or the other I’d bet we will miss out. I’m not convinced we can get the results we would need away from home or put the run(s) of results together we will no doubt need to climb 4 places. I wouldn’t be surprised if we do though so for now I remain hopeful.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 03, 2020, 07:28:42 pm by drfchound »
Do you?

That's...challenging.

Hi BST, your post concurs with one that I wrote earlier today on another thread when I suggested that we need to achieve an average of two points per game to the end of the season to achieve a play off spot.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 03, 2020, 07:41:21 pm by RoversAlias »
Do you?

That's...challenging.

Does the fact there's two less games this season affect that extrapolation in any way?

I personally think we'll finish between 7th and 10th, and I will be perfectly okay with that. The level of turnover and squad difficulty Dsrren has had to deal with meant it was always going to be tough to match last season's achievement. But we may yet surprise and go on a big winning run.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 03, 2020, 08:10:07 pm by bpoolrover »
What might help us is having played Peterborough Sunderland and Coventry twice already I think them 3 will be fighting for the top 2 places come the end of season with Rotherham

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 03, 2020, 08:13:57 pm by Campsall rover »
What might help us is having played Peterborough Sunderland and Coventry twice already I think them 3 will be fighting for the top 2 places come the end of season with Rotherham
Portsmouth will be imo.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 03, 2020, 08:16:08 pm by bpoolrover »
Just noticed Wycombe have a goal difference of 2 I’ve never known a team in second place have such a poor goal difference

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 03, 2020, 08:16:36 pm by bpoolrover »
Portsmouth will be imo. Possibly yes there form is good at the min

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 03, 2020, 08:27:37 pm by Campsall rover »
Just noticed Wycombe have a goal difference of 2 I’ve never known a team in second place have such a poor goal difference
Still don’t think they will finish in the top 6.

POD

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 03, 2020, 09:02:46 pm by POD »
The biggest issue for me is our away form.   Just three wins so far this season.
After these next three ‘winnable’ games have been completed, we will have a total of fourteen games left, ten of which are away from home. 
On current form, I just don’t see us getting the points we would need to finish with 70+ points given the lack of home games.  As others have said on this thread, a finish between 7th & 10th this season seems more realistic and would give us something to build on. 

DRFC_TID_93

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 03, 2020, 09:36:26 pm by DRFC_TID_93 »
But we've played all the season lacking recognised strikers, now with competition for places, expect more goals, more points, and a play off place imo

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on February 03, 2020, 10:32:07 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Do you?

That's...challenging.

Does the fact there's two less games this season affect that extrapolation in any way?

I personally think we'll finish between 7th and 10th, and I will be perfectly okay with that. The level of turnover and squad difficulty Dsrren has had to deal with meant it was always going to be tough to match last season's achievement. But we may yet surprise and go on a big winning run.

The 71-72 point projection is based on the average PPG at the moment, multiplied by 44 games. Peterborough currently have the sixth best record - 49 points from 30 games  - 1.633 ppg - 71.8 points over 44 games.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on February 03, 2020, 10:33:09 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Still don’t think they will finish in the top 6.

No, neither do I. And if they do continue their rapid fall, that might just reduce the points required for 6th place.

Pliskin

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 03, 2020, 11:21:34 pm by Pliskin »
17 games remaining, but only 6 of them at home. It'll be a big ask for us to pick up the 30+ points with that run of away fixtures.

Let's say our home form (currently 50% win rate) improves slightly and we win 4 out of the remaining 6, that puts us on 53-55 points. Can this team get 18+ points from 11 away fixtures? As a reference we have taken 13 points from the 11 away games played so far.

Purely on that basis I don't think it's at all likely. If we are to do it, you'd imagine that the next two away, Tranmere tomorrow and then Bolton, are must win just for starters, and very little room for error at home.

If I had to make a prediction, I'd say finishing just inside the bottom half is more likely than a top 6 finish. But I'll go with 9th or 10th.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 11:35:02 pm by Pliskin »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012