Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 03:02:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Radio Sheffield  (Read 6236 times)

Bezza

• Forum Member
Radio Sheffield
« on February 05, 2020, 01:29:44 pm by Bezza »
Last night's commentary was very poor  and Micky Walkers comments saying Ben Sheaf was making his debut when coming on as sub at the end summed it up, has he watched the Rovers this season?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

keith79

• Forum Member
Re: Radio Sheffield
« Reply #1 on February 05, 2020, 01:36:56 pm by keith79 »
Micky walker is an idiot. He never has anything good to say about the rovers.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 05, 2020, 01:52:11 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I said last night, he just rambles too much and the commentator, Andy Giddins I think, humours him, then you lose track of the game completely. I have to switch off. I'd rather follow by text commentary.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 05, 2020, 01:58:55 pm by graingrover »
Radio and TV will be historic media for our grandkids and the ever decreasing value of those who deliver Micky Walkerisms in today’s media will be classed as dinosaurs..like me on here .

acacia94

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 05, 2020, 02:08:51 pm by acacia94 »
Think Walkers title on Radio Sheff is 'match summariser'. Don't think anyone has ever explained to Mickey Walker what summarising means. He's probably the least qualified person to summarise owt.

andy didcott

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 05, 2020, 02:32:55 pm by andy didcott »
Made me chuckle when he didn't know who 'the boy'Ben sheaf was.

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 05, 2020, 02:38:07 pm by Chris the Rover »
I stopped listening to commentaries on RS about 3 seasons ago. They are generally awful. Adam Oxley, who used to attend all Rovers matches, is ok, but the other commentators sound as though they don’t want to be there most of the time. I’m afraid Mickey Walker is now too long in the tooth to be employed as a match summariser. He’s probably cheap!

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 05, 2020, 02:46:29 pm by graingrover »
Cheap need  not be either cheerless or ill informed ..I highly recommend the successor to Popular stand ..Podular stand .It is Glen in the most modern media idiom.

roversam

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 05, 2020, 03:18:19 pm by roversam »
Mickey  Walker aka Rovers Legend  🤣

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 05, 2020, 03:20:42 pm by drfchound »
Micky walker is an idiot. He never has anything good to say about the rovers.

He had plenty of good things to say about us last night.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 05, 2020, 03:29:21 pm by PDX_Rover »
Spelled w**ker wrong again.

anton123

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 05, 2020, 03:48:39 pm by anton123 »
i dont get what all the fuss is about , i had it on for a bit and its ok far better then updated on twitter ect

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 05, 2020, 03:52:19 pm by drfchound »
i dont get what all the fuss is about , i had it on for a bit and its ok far better then updated on twitter ect

Well, let’s be honest, there is nothing else to have a pop at and sometimes people like to find something.

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 05, 2020, 06:38:22 pm by Jimmydee »
Walker made a comment on how well chuffed he was about Rotherham being at the top, somebody (Mr Pilkington I believe) messaged radio Sheffield and complained that Walker shouldn’t be talking about Rotherham when he was there to comment on the Rovers. Walkers reply was “ well for your information Mr Pilkington, I am a former player of Rotherham United”....What???????

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 05, 2020, 07:24:49 pm by drfchound »
Walker made a comment on how well chuffed he was about Rotherham being at the top, somebody (Mr Pilkington I believe) messaged radio Sheffield and complained that Walker shouldn’t be talking about Rotherham when he was there to comment on the Rovers. Walkers reply was “ well for your information Mr Pilkington, I am a former player of Rotherham United”....What???????

That is not a true record of what was said Jimmydee.
I have sent you a PM.

southstandclez

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 05, 2020, 08:01:39 pm by southstandclez »
Don’t know why they keep using him to cover our games tbh he’s out of touch now

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 05, 2020, 08:51:41 pm by Barmby Rover »
I have emailed Radio Dee Dah before about Walker, he is the most negative person to act as what is supposed to be supporter/commentator about the team, his lack of analysis and thorough nastiness towards the club shows through every time he opens his mouth. Still bitter about being given the push as "director of football" when SOD found him out.

Reesielad

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 05, 2020, 08:58:41 pm by Reesielad »
I have emailed Radio Dee Dah before about Walker, he is the most negative person to act as what is supposed to be supporter/commentator about the team, his lack of analysis and thorough nastiness towards the club shows through every time he opens his mouth. Still bitter about being given the push as "director of football" when SOD found him out.

Can you expand on what happened as I wasn’t on this site back then and always wondered why he left?

Or can anyone explain please thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 05, 2020, 09:13:53 pm by Jimmydee »
I stand to be corrected on my earlier post about Mickey Walker, the texted message that was sent to radio Sheffield was sarcastic banter from a friend of Mickey Walkers that was accepted that Mr Pickering was just joking about him mentioning Rotherham United.
Sorry Graham if it was taken out of context.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 05, 2020, 09:34:44 pm by Jonathan »
I always thought he was an infectious personality to have around the club and he had a great partnership with Penney going through the conference and the old division 3. I got the impression he was a bit primitive as a coach (echoed by things I heard about the players playing cuppies in training when he was caretaker manager!) and he’d never have suited SO’D. But he did his bit back in the day and I’d prefer to look back on his association with the club positively. Not heard much of him on Radio Sheffield so can’t really comment about that.

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 05, 2020, 09:38:36 pm by Lifelong supporter »
Mickey Walker may have played in the Rotherham youth team but never the first team.
In fact he hardly played league football for any club apart from 20 appearances over two seasons at Bradford City.
Not sure Dave Penney would call it a 'great partnership' either Jonathan.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 05, 2020, 09:43:33 pm by drfchound »
TBF, lots of pro footballers don’t play many first team games do they.

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 05, 2020, 09:47:49 pm by godlike1 »
He was still part of the club as it rose out of the doldrums and so should be remembered as such.

Mickey used to be really good on radio Sheff but it always seems like he can't wait to have a dig at the team these days plus radio Sheff are just very poor promoters of rovers......... That is a long standing discussion on here I'm not wanting to open up again though.

I though the iplayer commentary was spot on and has been for a while now. Peter Cat when he's on always sounds like he'd rather be up for the firing squad though lol.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 05, 2020, 09:53:50 pm by Jonathan »
Not sure Dave Penney would call it a 'great partnership' either Jonathan.

I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t. I’m fully aware of all the stories doing the rounds at the time. But the two promotions in consecutive seasons showed the partnership worked, irrespective of tension behind the scenes.

firestarter

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 05, 2020, 09:54:27 pm by firestarter »
He’s had a chip on his shoulder since he left us . Let it go eh Mickey

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 06, 2020, 08:37:19 am by Chris Black come back »
I always thought he was an infectious personality to have around the club and he had a great partnership with Penney going through the conference and the old division 3. I got the impression he was a bit primitive as a coach (echoed by things I heard about the players playing cuppies in training when he was caretaker manager!) and he’d never have suited SO’D. But he did his bit back in the day and I’d prefer to look back on his association with the club positively. Not heard much of him on Radio Sheffield so can’t really comment about that.

Didn’t he have a 100pc win rate in his (one - away at Port Vale???) period in charge as caretaker?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on February 06, 2020, 08:53:53 am by idler »

Didn’t he have a 100pc win rate in his (one - away at Port Vale???) period in charge as caretaker?
And a 100% failure rate in his home game against Gillingham?😳

colfromdonny

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on February 06, 2020, 10:04:04 am by colfromdonny »
Why don't we just dump Radio Sheffield and let Trax FM, our local radio station, be the main team with access all areas.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on February 06, 2020, 10:12:46 am by Draytonian III »
Tom Bitcliffe does a very job on commentary usually on his own, and he’s a true Rovers supporter

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 06, 2020, 11:08:58 am by jmt23 »
I’ve always liked Radio Sheffield, and we did have some great coverage when Seth Bennett was around, Andy Giddings? Was quite good too. They are still a good source of info and obviously the odd match coverage helps,but like everyone else has said, Mickey’s attitude/bitterness towards the club is very obvious.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012