Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 01:06:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Boris Johnson's bridge to nowhere  (Read 1060 times)

wilts rover

• Forum Member
Boris Johnson's bridge to nowhere
« on February 10, 2020, 09:57:01 pm by wilts rover »
Is it just me or doe other people think it is is quite a coincidence that the government is putting out the idea of building a 25 mile bridge through a busy shipping lane over a massive (and probably unstable) WWII arms dump - on the same day that the same government has confirmed to business leaders that it has been lying to them for two years, they will not be having their cake and eating it, and there will be many new checks required for goods to pass from the UK to the EU & NI - with all the relevant extra costs that will involve.

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1226948237959016453

Or maybe he just changed his mind? Changes his mind a lot this Johnson bloke.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
Re: Boris Johnson's bridge to nowhere
« Reply #1 on February 10, 2020, 10:59:29 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
It's Project Fear, it'll never happen. :silly:

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 10, 2020, 11:24:40 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I assume our Brexit flag bearers are going to be man enough now to step up and admit other folk were right when we said that we were being lied to?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 11, 2020, 09:50:14 am by SydneyRover »
Nah

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 11, 2020, 09:55:59 am by BillyStubbsTears »
I'd give my right knacker to know what is driving this in the Tory party.

It is absolutely insane to choose to impose customs and regulatory checks between us and the market for nearly half of our imports and exports.

The people ramming this through aren't stupid. They treat the people who have voted for them as too stupid to realise how damaging this is, but they themselves are not stupid. They KNOW this will knock 4-5% off GDP which is the sort of economic penalty that used to accompany losing a moderate sized war.

So WHY are they doing it?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 11, 2020, 11:31:43 am by Glyn_Wigley »
I'd give my right knacker to know what is driving this in the Tory party.

It is absolutely insane to choose to impose customs and regulatory checks between us and the market for nearly half of our imports and exports.

The people ramming this through aren't stupid. They treat the people who have voted for them as too stupid to realise how damaging this is, but they themselves are not stupid. They KNOW this will knock 4-5% off GDP which is the sort of economic penalty that used to accompany losing a moderate sized war.

So WHY are they doing it?

It's nothing to do with what's driving the Tory Party. As I've been telling everybody since well before the referendum, all of what you've mentioned is inevitable if we leave the Single Market. Even if we get a free trade agreement with the EU they'll still have to be done. But I was told I didn't know what was going to happen, by someone who truly didn't know.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 11, 2020, 07:04:51 pm by albie »
Lets not forget that Johnson has form with bridge building.

When in charge of London he proposed a "garden bridge" crossing the Thames.....it never happened, but he spaffed over £40m in "consultancy fees" and the rest before it was knocked on the head.

You would never let this man anywhere near a project that required technical and financial literacy...he has neither!

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 11, 2020, 08:40:09 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
I think you'll find it was nearer £50mill that was thrown away on bugger all.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 12, 2020, 10:25:52 am by Donnywolf »
The only thing I give him credit for was the Airport in the Thames Estuary.

Could have been ideal if someone had listened

As for the rest of him and his ideas - no thanks - he seems to have no idea at all despite obviously being intelligent

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 12, 2020, 11:14:02 am by BillyStubbsTears »
There's something to be said for an airport in the Thames estuary.

The SS Richard Montgomery is an issue though. There's a munitions boat with a potential explosive yield 20% that of the Hiroshima bomb sat on the seabed there, and no-one has the first idea how to deal with it.

There's a pattern emerging here isn't there? Johnson building his ideas on explosive powder kegs.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012