Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:33:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lets talk about the Gillingham game  (Read 5092 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Lets talk about the Gillingham game
« on February 12, 2020, 10:42:18 am by selby »
  Gillingham, not the greatest journey to undertake especially at this time of the year, and when you get there not the most photogenic and up market place I have ever been.
  That said it is also never easy to go there and get a result either, and certainly with Mr Evans at the helm things have not got easier during his tenure, slowly building a side that plays with energy, in our cup demise this season completely out fought, out thought, and out played us in every phase of the game,  and deservedly ran out easy 3-0 winners to get a deserved plum tie v West Ham.
  In John Akinde signed from Lincoln City where he was on megga bucks, they have with Charles Cooke a potent attack force who will dominate if you let them.
  In the cup game they disrupted our rhythm at every oppertunity when we had the ball with niggly fouls and gamesmanship, and when in possession lobbed the ball over our midfield players who never got in the game, chased the ball behind our back line and completely outplayed us all the game with a very back in time rudimentary simple long ball and chase game, and dominated the game from start to finish, with most of our players looking as though they would have preferred to be at home shopping with the wife or girl friend.
   I am expecting a better show from us than in the cup game, are you?
   Apart from John in for the unfortunate James, I would start the same side as last night, would you?
   Has the weather, a long journey, and not very attractive place to visit put you off going to this game?
    Are you confident our display will be better than our last visit in the cup?
   Do you like me see Gillingham as an outsider who are capable of getting in a playoff spot? and one of the harder games we have left to play?
 Lot's at stake for our play off aspirations in this game, I see this game as something of a major moment for our seasons ambitions, one I would be happy to take anything from, so lots to discuss, please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
Re: Lets talk about the Gillingham game
« Reply #1 on February 12, 2020, 12:23:01 pm by RobTheRover »
  Gillingham, not the greatest journey to undertake especially at this time of the year, and when you get there not the most photogenic and up market place I have ever been.
  That said it is also never easy to go there and get a result either, and certainly with Mr Evans at the helm things have not got easier during his tenure, slowly building a side that plays with energy, in our cup demise this season completely out fought, out thought, and out played us in every phase of the game,  and deservedly ran out easy 3-0 winners to get a deserved plum tie v West Ham.
  In John Akinde signed from Lincoln City where he was on megga bucks, they have with Charles Cooke a potent attack force who will dominate if you let them.
  In the cup game they disrupted our rhythm at every oppertunity when we had the ball with niggly fouls and gamesmanship, and when in possession lobbed the ball over our midfield players who never got in the game, chased the ball behind our back line and completely outplayed us all the game with a very back in time rudimentary simple long ball and chase game, and dominated the game from start to finish, with most of our players looking as though they would have preferred to be at home shopping with the wife or girl friend.
   I am expecting a better show from us than in the cup game, are you?
   Apart from John in for the unfortunate James, I would start the same side as last night, would you?
   Has the weather, a long journey, and not very attractive place to visit put you off going to this game?
    Are you confident our display will be better than our last visit in the cup?
   Do you like me see Gillingham as an outsider who are capable of getting in a playoff spot? and one of the harder games we have left to play?
 Lot's at stake for our play off aspirations in this game, I see this game as something of a major moment for our seasons ambitions, one I would be happy to take anything from, so lots to discuss, please have your say.

I remember rocking off Paul Mayfield's coach once, early 90s and a foggy journey down which seemed to take forever, and piling into a chippy round the corner from the Priestfield and being absolutely aghast that mushy peas weren't on the menu!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 12, 2020, 12:25:36 pm by IDM »
John in for James, Amos on the bench..

Tough fixture, will be satisfied with a draw, but above all a clean sheet..

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 12, 2020, 12:57:54 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I'd snap your hand off for a point. Get that and we are still on course.

Other games on satdi.

Fleetwood vs Peterborough
Oxford vs Sunderland.
Ipswich vs Burton.

Then the following weekend
Ipswich vs Oxford
Portsmouth vs Fleetwood.

There's a shakedown on the way.

acacia94

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 12, 2020, 03:39:48 pm by acacia94 »
The fascinating thing for me with the visit to Medways finest is how the f**k they still get away with that away temp scaffolding stand.
Cant be right surely?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 12, 2020, 03:51:12 pm by IDM »
Why not.? If it gets inspected and tested, and meets safety requirements.?

We may not like it, but it isn’t necessarily wrong..

acacia94

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 12, 2020, 04:13:27 pm by acacia94 »
I was being flippant and off hand IDM... Of course it must meet whatever regs are in place – surely?
Football clubs are the bastions of following regulations to the letter.
I guess my point would be how are football supporters subjected to such a piss poor uncovered experience in 2020 in the 'Garden of Kent'.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 12, 2020, 04:15:06 pm by drfchound »
The fascinating thing for me with the visit to Medways finest is how the f**k they still get away with that away temp scaffolding stand.
Cant be right surely?

Because it is temporary.

I have sat in there by the way, it won’t be very hospitable in February.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 12, 2020, 04:20:09 pm by IDM »
I was being flippant and off hand IDM... Of course it must meet whatever regs are in place – surely?
Football clubs are the bastions of following regulations to the letter.
I guess my point would be how are football supporters subjected to such a piss poor uncovered experience in 2020 in the 'Garden of Kent'.

OK no worries, hard to tell sometimes without a ;)

I’ve been in that stand too - not wonderful by any means but a better experience than Luton’s away stand, roof or no roof.!

acacia94

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 12, 2020, 04:54:29 pm by acacia94 »
Its been like that for years so temporary must have no timesacles attached for a proper resolution?
Was on their a few seasons ago and the wind was not dissimilar to this week.
Like being on a creaking old trawler in a force 10 off Iceland.
Glimmer of optimism must be we were put in the stand for the Cup game earlier this season so could be the same on Satdi...

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 12, 2020, 05:09:50 pm by selby »
  Tickets are available for the stand down the side which is under cover, the same as they  were for the cup game and are again.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 13, 2020, 10:43:02 am by selby »
Looking at the weather forecast for Saturday in Gillingham of 50 mile an hour winds and heavy rain, there could be a very good chance that the game could be called off, hopefully not, but it could be a possibility.
  If it does go ahead we have got to start the game better than we did in the FA cup game, and not let Gillingham impose their game on us right from the start. Their main tactic that day was to bypass midfield with balls over the top from back to front, turn our back three on the day, and hassle every player who had the ball.
   We had no answer, Whiteman and Sheaf found themselves out of the game, and Wright had a very rare shocker of a game,  the team as a whole way below par.
    It will be a battle, Evans will try and repeat that game, and we have to earn the right to play our game, and not be overawed by a team who are hard working, but hardly the most gifted side in the division like we were in the cup game.

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 13, 2020, 12:08:37 pm by NewDonny »
Looking at the weather forecast for Saturday in Gillingham of 50 mile an hour winds and heavy rain, there could be a very good chance that the game could be called off, hopefully not, but it could be a possibility.
  If it does go ahead we have got to start the game better than we did in the FA cup game, and not let Gillingham impose their game on us right from the start. Their main tactic that day was to bypass midfield with balls over the top from back to front, turn our back three on the day, and hassle every player who had the ball.
   We had no answer, Whiteman and Sheaf found themselves out of the game, and Wright had a very rare shocker of a game,  the team as a whole way below par.
    It will be a battle, Evans will try and repeat that game, and we have to earn the right to play our game, and not be overawed by a team who are hard working, but hardly the most gifted side in the division like we were in the cup game.

We played a ridiculous system down there in the FA Cup with 2 up front in Bingham & Sadlier so I expect a much better performance down there this time.

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 13, 2020, 01:16:30 pm by karldew »
Just read Gills are unbeaten in 2020 so it’s going to be a tough game.

Think I’d also go for the same team with John in for James. I’m going to say a 2-1 victory with Taylor coming off the bench and netting the winner.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 13, 2020, 01:31:36 pm by RoversAlias »
They haven't lost a league game since before we went there in the FA Cup. Will be a very tough game in likely bad conditions, I'll be more than satisfied with a point.

Will be good to get back to one game a week for a while.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 13, 2020, 01:51:50 pm by sha66y »
Tough game but winnable ,
1-3 fejiri Sads Anderson

They will be too over-confidant having had us watched over the last 2 games........

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 13, 2020, 01:53:38 pm by Metalmicky »
Just read Gills are unbeaten in 2020 so it’s going to be a tough game.

That unbeaten run in 2020 includes 5 draws and two wins - so played 7 and 11 points = 1.57 points per game

Donny have played more games in 2020, but have a better return - played 10, won 6, drawn 2 and lost 2 = 2.00 points per game

I'm going to go for a tight draw - 1:1

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 13, 2020, 03:09:09 pm by Chris Black come back »
They are unbeaten in 12 home and away in the league, going back to 23 November. Oddly they lost then to the very poor AFC Wimbledon.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 14, 2020, 04:30:04 pm by Metalmicky »
Is the game definitely on?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on February 14, 2020, 04:46:28 pm by IDM »
Until anything to the contrary is said, then I would assume yes it is..

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 14, 2020, 06:29:57 pm by i_ateallthepies »
They are unbeaten in 12 home and away in the league, going back to 23 November. Oddly they lost then to the very poor AFC Wimbledon.

We do seem to have a habit of sorting out oppositions' runs of poor results, let's hope we can turn this one on its head too.  My money's on a Rovers win.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 15, 2020, 09:48:44 am by SydneyRover »
I will be unable to watch the game but I think it could well be a pivotal point for us, not terminal if we don't get the three points but DM obviously has the ability to meld players into a harmonious bunch. Still early days but the new players seem to be settling in well and my hope is that from the new strength and competition within the team we could see some exciting footall.

Glascaster

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 15, 2020, 11:43:54 am by Glascaster »
Can those with tickets in Brian Moore stand move to undercover stand? Anywhere else to brave the elements?  :cold:  :chair:

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 15, 2020, 12:42:59 pm by NewDonny »
Saw one our supporters coaches parked up on the inside lane of the A14 just outside Cambridge when I was coming back from picking up family from Stansted earlier. Hope it was just pulled over not broken down although I don’t understand why it would have parked up on that section of that road.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 01:09:58 pm by NewDonny »

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 15, 2020, 02:03:53 pm by Rovers91 »
Not sure agree with Sadlier dropping to the bench for Blair.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 15, 2020, 03:17:14 pm by Campsall rover »
1-0 up Sheaf.
Good watching sky sports from Tenerife when you lot are shivering at the Priestfield.

Bring the 3 points home please.  :that:

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 15, 2020, 03:19:10 pm by drfchound »
1-0 up Sheaf.
Good watching sky sports from Tenerife when you lot are shivering at the Priestfield.

Bring the 3 points home please.  :that:

get on the lucky pint thread mate.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on February 15, 2020, 03:43:27 pm by since-1969 »
Only 10 men fay

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on February 15, 2020, 03:43:57 pm by Campsall rover »
Down to ten 10 men

Hate Priestfield Stadium with a passion. Never get anything at that place including decent refs.

Hence Tenerife.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 15, 2020, 04:06:31 pm by scawsby steve »
Down to ten 10 men

Hate Priestfield Stadium with a passion. Never get anything at that place including decent refs.

Hence Tenerife.

We won there 3-1 last season.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012