Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:15:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Alfie scores  (Read 11493 times)

NewDonny

• Forum Member
Re: Alfie scores
« Reply #60 on February 02, 2020, 01:49:03 pm by NewDonny »
Anyone who genuinely believes Alfie May is a more talented player than Niall Ennis needs electrodes clamping to their knackers, with a circuit that connects every time they open their gob. Just to train them not to open their gob.

I agree that is worrying!

As nice a lad that Alfie May was with his infectious personality, he struggled to make the impact needed here at DRFC as player on the pitch, its great he has now found his level and is getting amongst the goals. But saying he was technically superior to any other striker we have is a stretch in my opinion. Lets be honest, Alfie was very right foot dependant, his first touch was not the greatest, often we would see the ball rebound a couple of feet off him on his first touch, his first inclination was to collect the ball and go backwards or sideways before going forward and because he was very right footed he had a very wide turning circle.

Ennis for me is improving game by game, yesterday I thought he was excellent, he was collecting the ball and turning and running at them or releasing the ball wide whilst using his undated upper body strength.

Anyway, May is no longer a DRFC player, time to move on, no need to update us every time he scores.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on February 02, 2020, 02:35:15 pm by dickos1 »
I liked May as a player, was disappointed we let him go.
But saying he’s bettter than ennis, Sharp, marquis etc is insane.
My favourite was the comparison with iniesta 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on February 02, 2020, 03:38:28 pm by Campsall rover »
My favourite was the comparison with iniesta ‍♂️‍♂️
We all liked him. Impossible not to like him.
But he had to go. No room for sentiment and for benefit of his career he needed to be playing.
He was allowed to leave as not good up enough to get game time in our team. Simple as that imo.
Good luck to him for the future and really pleased to see him scoring goals now. Brilliant. He has proved me wrong already as i did say he was only National league level as a goal scorer.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 03:51:05 pm by Campsall rover »

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on February 02, 2020, 03:53:41 pm by sha66y »

The comparison wasn’t to the actual player Iniesta ...but to the place on the pitch were May could have probably been more effective....does that make more sense?

drfcdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on February 02, 2020, 04:11:52 pm by drfcdrfc »
Considering it was a nominal fee, I doubt it.

To be honest, I think he'll do well at that level but it's not like he's ever likely to become a £1m Championship signing is he?

To me he looked more likely to go on to be a £1million pound player than anyone I've seen in a Rover shirt since I started going to Belle Vue in 92 except for Mike Jeffrey (could be rose tinted spectacles), David Wheater and Chris Brown.

Surely you’re not serious? Do you really think that May had the potential to be sold for more than Whiteman, Wright or Anderson? Or, I dunno, Marquis?!

Are you serious? Oh and do you just wait for me to post so you can disagree and TRY to be clever? Do you really believe there's a host of Premier League clubs watching the lightweight and ponderous in possession Ben Whiteman of Doncaster Rovers? Well all those suitors had the chance to make a move in the very recent transfer window and possibly with the exception of Hull City of the Championship, there was no interest.

Anderson is proving to be a very good, no nonsense centre back for us this term, the likes of which we had no shortage of attracting prior to the SOD era though. I'm convinced the reason Tom and Rob Jones before stood out is because with the exception of Matt Mills we haven't seen that type of defend before all else centre back since the early days of the SOD era. Not long after taking our managers job he successfully rid the club of anyone who could defend. Who wouldn't prefer to play James O'Connor at centre back ahead of Gordon Greer. Within a year of his release by us Gordon was back in the Championship having been bought by Brighton for £250,000 despite only having a year left on his Swindon contract. Genius that SOD! 

Wright can't hold down a place in our side and we're a mid table League One side at best. Huddersfield deemed him not good enough for them and the Championship when they released him and we signed him when in League Two. I'm pretty confident Joe will go his entire career without any club handing over a single penny to secure his services.

Marquis. Difficult to argue with his goal scoring record for us but to watch him strike a ball or try to control one, the fella had no right to score that many goals over the last couple of seasons. I can't be the only person that didn't fancy him to score that penalty against Charlton in the play-offs? The following vid tells you all you need to know about John Marquis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oyyL6uQsTQ

Handily the above video also features Alfie who to me is very obviously technically streets ahead of Marquis and probably any forward man I've seen at the club in almost 30 years. Alfie's issue wasn't technique it was simply lack of power which you can see in the video. I watched him closely for us and never felt he was doing anything wrong in terms of shooting he simply didn't generate the necessary power in his shots to beat football league goalkeepers who are obviously more mobile than those he was used to playing against lower down the pyramid. His lack of time spent at a clubs academy in his formative years meant he never developed the muscular legs required to kick the bloody hard enough to beat football league keepers. Come August 2020 with yet another pre-season under his belt and in his legs I think he'll be not far off 20 goals come the end of the season even if that is in League One.

The muscular legs bit kills me 😂

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on February 02, 2020, 04:46:49 pm by Move DRFC »
Considering it was a nominal fee, I doubt it.

To be honest, I think he'll do well at that level but it's not like he's ever likely to become a £1m Championship signing is he?

To me he looked more likely to go on to be a £1million pound player than anyone I've seen in a Rover shirt since I started going to Belle Vue in 92 except for Mike Jeffrey (could be rose tinted spectacles), David Wheater and Chris Brown.

Surely you’re not serious? Do you really think that May had the potential to be sold for more than Whiteman, Wright or Anderson? Or, I dunno, Marquis?!

Are you serious? Oh and do you just wait for me to post so you can disagree and TRY to be clever? Do you really believe there's a host of Premier League clubs watching the lightweight and ponderous in possession Ben Whiteman of Doncaster Rovers? Well all those suitors had the chance to make a move in the very recent transfer window and possibly with the exception of Hull City of the Championship, there was no interest.

Anderson is proving to be a very good, no nonsense centre back for us this term, the likes of which we had no shortage of attracting prior to the SOD era though. I'm convinced the reason Tom and Rob Jones before stood out is because with the exception of Matt Mills we haven't seen that type of defend before all else centre back since the early days of the SOD era. Not long after taking our managers job he successfully rid the club of anyone who could defend. Who wouldn't prefer to play James O'Connor at centre back ahead of Gordon Greer. Within a year of his release by us Gordon was back in the Championship having been bought by Brighton for £250,000 despite only having a year left on his Swindon contract. Genius that SOD! 

Wright can't hold down a place in our side and we're a mid table League One side at best. Huddersfield deemed him not good enough for them and the Championship when they released him and we signed him when in League Two. I'm pretty confident Joe will go his entire career without any club handing over a single penny to secure his services.

Marquis. Difficult to argue with his goal scoring record for us but to watch him strike a ball or try to control one, the fella had no right to score that many goals over the last couple of seasons. I can't be the only person that didn't fancy him to score that penalty against Charlton in the play-offs? The following vid tells you all you need to know about John Marquis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oyyL6uQsTQ

Handily the above video also features Alfie who to me is very obviously technically streets ahead of Marquis and probably any forward man I've seen at the club in almost 30 years. Alfie's issue wasn't technique it was simply lack of power which you can see in the video. I watched him closely for us and never felt he was doing anything wrong in terms of shooting he simply didn't generate the necessary power in his shots to beat football league goalkeepers who are obviously more mobile than those he was used to playing against lower down the pyramid. His lack of time spent at a clubs academy in his formative years meant he never developed the muscular legs required to kick the bloody hard enough to beat football league keepers. Come August 2020 with yet another pre-season under his belt and in his legs I think he'll be not far off 20 goals come the end of the season even if that is in League One.

HAHAHAHA. You are in absolute cuckoo land you my friend. Literally everything you’ve said here is garbage. We have some bizarre fans.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on February 02, 2020, 06:08:20 pm by since-1969 »
These Alfie May fans are an odd bunch.
It is ironic that he is scoring for fun now when he could hit a barn door for Rovers. I hope he keeps it up and becomes a legend for Cheltenham!!

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on February 02, 2020, 11:57:14 pm by Colin C No.3 »

The comparison wasn’t to the actual player Iniesta ...but to the place on the pitch were May could have probably been more effective....does that make more sense?

Not unless you replace were for where.

That desert sand gets everywhere.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on February 03, 2020, 12:02:26 am by Colin C No.3 »
4 goals in 5 starts now.

My brother in law lives down there in ‘chocolate box country’ & he says the supporters love him.

What a difference when as a striker or forward player you hit the ground running eh.

A 2 & a half year contract, ‘our Alfie’ continues to live the dream. And long may (no pun intended), it continue.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on February 03, 2020, 07:33:05 am by Michael Shaw »
Good luck to Alfie and any other player who has worn a Rovers shirt so many times.

It’s fascinating how so many fans consider themselves knowledgeable and have such opposing views. It a great source of amusement. Thanks guys.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on February 03, 2020, 07:37:03 am by Donnywolf »
4 goals in 5 starts now.

My brother in law lives down there in ‘chocolate box country’ & he says the supporters love him.

What a difference when as a striker or forward player you hit the ground running eh.

A 2 & a half year contract, ‘our Alfie’ continues to live the dream. And long may (no pun intended), it continue.

Yes lets hope May goes March-ing on (pun intended) !

Great to see him thriving and stuck that one away nicely

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on February 03, 2020, 09:39:10 am by sha66y »

Not unless you replace were for where.

That desert sand gets everywhere.

Mild dyslexia on homophones .....
Regarding the sand.....depends which desert ones in , the North African is finer I’d say

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on February 07, 2020, 06:21:53 am by karldew »
Just won POTM for Cheltenham..

PLAYER OF THE MONTH: Alfie May has been chosen by Robins fans as January's @AutovillageGlou Player of the Month after a prolific start to life at the club.

More details ➡️ ctfc.com/news/2020/febr… #ctfc

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on February 07, 2020, 06:37:31 am by Alan Southstand »
Excellent for the lad - well done Alfie.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on February 07, 2020, 07:33:58 pm by since-1969 »
Playing a Scunny tomorrow so hat Trick in the cards there then !!!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on February 15, 2020, 04:25:33 pm by Bentley Bullet »
........And another!

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on February 15, 2020, 05:00:33 pm by phil old leake »
Can’t score the lad not good enough
At this rate we might find out next season if Cheltenham go up

elmsallrover