Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 01:22:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: SYP Brutality at Football  (Read 7993 times)

normal rules

• Forum Member
Re: SYP Brutality at Football
« Reply #60 on February 14, 2020, 09:24:00 pm by normal rules »
There is no difference between rules of engagement and the law.
I was in the army  when we had rules of engagement in places such as Northern Irel@nd , the gulf, Bosnia and Afghanistan. In short, if you are shot at, you can shoot back. Actions of soldiers in conflict are covered by the Geneva convention.
Police are governed in law regarding use of force. The Criminal justice act, the police and criminal evidence act and common law all makecreference to use of force being “reasonable” to the circumstance.

The well known case of the Norfolk farmer shooting a burglar in the back as he fled from the scene of his crime being the most recent high profile case that springs to my mind. Yes, the farmer had been burgled, but he was safe and the burglar was fleeing. He was no longer in defence of himself or his property.

The officers account in this event and the key witnesses will paint the picture which will determine if this head strike was reasonable, proportionate and justified.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on February 14, 2020, 09:26:18 pm by normal rules »
Crickey, just checked and the Tony Martin case was 1999. Seems like yesterday. It still divides opinion. Originally convicted of murder, then changed to manslaughter on appeal got 3 yrs.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on February 14, 2020, 09:33:20 pm by IDM »
But the point is, who on here actually knows the correct details in law.?

DRFC_AjA

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on February 15, 2020, 02:36:03 am by DRFC_AjA »
'Both Police officers and members of the public were subject to serious violence. The officer (in the video) required hospital treatment after which he was released, as was the male in the video.
I would suggest no-one draw any conclusions from the video circulating on social media'

Well if the policeman required treatment then he is more than justified to hit someone from behind in the skull with a weapon... this world has gone mad.

The build up may paint a different picture however it doesn’t justify these actions. If someone broke into your house and as they were leaving you picked up a bat and whacked them over the head with it I can guarantee you would be arrested for using excessive force.

But the general public would probably agree with your actions

Of course they would but the police are the ones enforcing these rules so they should have to adhere to them as well.

I think my point got a little lost, but take the Tony Martin case. Yes he shot them as they were walking away, but the general public would probably agree with his actions. Terrorised for months if I remember the case righlty, burgled many times, took positive action, got sent down for murder on a technicality that they were walking away.

Similar here IF , and I know it's a huge IF , it comes out that this lad was attacking coppers then really do you care that he got smashed? As I said on my previous post "hooligans" are utter vermin who just waste stretched police resources every Saturday at 3pm. Police want to solve crimes. Not babysit idiots who can't handle their pop

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on February 15, 2020, 06:41:45 am by normal rules »

What specifically idm do you want to know?

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on February 15, 2020, 08:43:41 am by mrfrostsdad »
The quote I made was from the Chairman of South Yorkshire Police Federation, who will be supporting his members from IOPC (formally IPCC - who a few years ago I applied for a job with, which very fortunately I didn't get)

All the cops involved will have been wearing BWV -  body worn video for the uninitiated- which will give a true picture of what actually happened, rather than a 45 second clip on social media

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on February 15, 2020, 09:45:10 am by IDM »

I don’t..

Just raising the point that probably very few on here would know.  Therefore folks give opinions on what should and should not be allowed to happen, and what is “right” to do.  What folks feel is “right” to do, may not necessarily be within the law.  The general public isn’t trained to legal rules of engagement, unlike police and the armed forces..

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on February 15, 2020, 06:43:16 pm by mrfrostsdad »

I don’t..

Just raising the point that probably very few on here would know.  Therefore folks give opinions on what should and should not be allowed to happen, and what is “right” to do.  What folks feel is “right” to do, may not necessarily be within the law.  The general public isn’t trained to legal rules of engagement, unlike police and the armed forces..

I do.
But as I know nothing about this incident, other than a 45 second video I've seen on FB (which told me nothing) I wouldn't comment on it. Other than quoting the SYP Federation Chairman

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on February 16, 2020, 07:19:48 pm by Sprotyrover »
This is going nowhere ...

TinyPortal © 2005-2012