Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 03:19:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Odds to make the playoffs  (Read 4584 times)

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
Odds to make the playoffs
« on February 20, 2020, 08:10:54 am by NickDRFC »
https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/league-1/to-make-the-playoffs

Of those I’d say are in the mix we’re considered outsiders (along with Gillingham). Personally think a price of 5/1 is about right, we really need a win this weekend to keep us in the mix or that is going to really drift.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
Re: Odds to make the playoffs
« Reply #1 on February 20, 2020, 11:01:30 am by Jimmydee »
That's really good odds, I checked a couple of weeks back and we were at 2/1. That was the same odds pre season

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 20, 2020, 11:55:39 am by drfchound »
It might be good odds but it does reflect the fact that the top five are getting away from us and our only hope is of getting sixth place.
Even that looks more difficult now after last weekends results.

jackthelad

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 20, 2020, 12:51:26 pm by jackthelad »
It's good odds because as said above,it's slipping away from us. I think in another 3 weeks it will all be over.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 20, 2020, 12:56:12 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
It might be good odds but it does reflect the fact that the top five are getting away from us and our only hope is of getting sixth place.
think you should rephrase that to five out of the top six are "getting " away (portsmouth 6th have one game on Sunderland 5th (and one point behind) so must be included,,,, yes possible fixture congestion ?)  but Wycombe  who after 4 or 5 matches against better teams hit a wall or on a downer yes came from behind to win last match.

is Rovers beat the "route one team" on Feb 30th and win the game in hand it's a different story Wycombe are the "weakest link out of the six"

Just looked at the dog eat dog syndrome of matches between the current top 6 . I have looked at the matches the top 6 solely play against other and for say rotherham v coventry i give each one mark

Results
rotherham 13 matches to play are 4 (meaning they play 4 out of the current top 6 - obviously 5 is the maximum !!!)
coventry 14-4
wycombe 12-2
peterb 11-3
sund 13-3
portsmouth 14-2

and Rovers are 13 -3 meaning play 3 out of the top 6 (of course in theory it could have been 6 so they play half of them

this so called analysis which actually was done on the back of an envelope - note the comment !!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 12:59:02 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 20, 2020, 01:00:39 pm by Campsall rover »
It's good odds because as said above,it's slipping away from us. I think in another 3 weeks it will all be over.
That’s positive thinking!!!
Your opinion of course and you could possibly be right, but if we win 3 or even all four of our next 4 matches then we will be very much in the race. On paper 10/12 points are very possible.
Yes it’s not played on paper of course but i am quite sure there is considerably more positivity on the training field and in the dressing room than some of our supporters are showing on this forum.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 20, 2020, 01:04:24 pm by drfchound »
think you should rephrase that to five out of the top six are "getting " away (portsmouth 6th have one game on Sunderland 5th (and one point behind) so must be included,,,, yes possible fixture congestion ?)  but Wycombe  who after 4 or 5 matches against better teams hit a wall or on a downer yes came from behind to win last match.

is Rovers beat the "route one team" on Feb 30th and win the game in hand it's a different story Wycombe are the "weakest link out of the six"

Just looked at the dog eat dog syndrome of matches between the current top 6 . I have looked at the matches the top 6 solely play against other and for say rotherham v coventry i give each one mark

Results
rotherham 13 matches to play are 4 (meaning they play 4 out of the current top 6 - obviously 5 is the maximum !!!)
coventry 14-4
wycombe 12-2
peterb 11-3
sund 13-3
portsmouth 14-2

and Rovers are 13 -3 meaning play 3 out of the top 6 (of course in theory it could have been 6 so they play half of them

this so called analysis which actually was done on the back of an envelope - note the comment !!

CLH, yep I accept that perhaps I should have said “five of the top six” but I was actually counting Portsmouth as in the top five as I think they will take advantage of that game in hand over Sunderland.
Portsmouth are on a bit of a roll again and for me, are as good as cemented into the top six now.
Out of interest though mate, when is Feb 30th?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 20, 2020, 01:09:08 pm by drfchound »
That’s positive thinking!!!
Your opinion of course and you could possibly be right, but if we win 3 or even all four of our next 4 matches then we will be very much in the race. On paper 10/12 points are very possible.
Yes it’s not played on paper of course but i am quite sure there is considerably more positivity on the training field and in the dressing room than some of our supporters are showing on this forum.

Campsall, as I have said before, it doesn’t matter what the fans think as they won’t be on the pitch playing for the points.
Of course the players won’t be thinking tha they can’t get into the mix.

There is nothing in our form to suggest that we can win enough games to secure that sixth spot, we are too inconsistent.
I think the loss of Fejiri for the next three games will be a particularly big loss as he looked to be the striker we have been craving all season.
Also, I think that DM is tinkering too much with the team selection.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 01:42:08 pm by drfchound »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 20, 2020, 01:21:54 pm by Campsall rover »
We will see. Personally i think we have a great chance. As good as any in the top 11

Not long ago almost everyone was complaining our squad had no depth to it.
The team picked itself.
Now he has added players to the squad & he has freshened it up by making changes and some of us our are moaning about it.

Who would be a manager eh? Can’t win whatever he does some will be unhappy.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 20, 2020, 01:39:12 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
Out of interest though mate, when is Feb 30th?
when we both get back to the top of the P & O  :facepalm:

i nearly fell for the 46 match a season lark as well

« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 01:41:36 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 20, 2020, 01:41:37 pm by NickDRFC »
We will see. Personally i think we have a great chance. As good as any in the top 11

The team picked itself.
Now he has added players to the squad & he has freshened it up by making changes and some of us our are moaning about it.

Campsall, I admire your positivity but saying that we have as good a chance as any in the top 11 is either blinkered or naive. Almost every team above us has some combination of more points in the bag, better recent form or games in hand, and all of them have a better spread of home and away fixtures. Do we have a chance? Of course we do. Would I trade places in terms of points and games played with any of the teams above us? All of them except Gillingham. At the moment they are all better placed than we are to reach the play offs, and the bookies’ odds reflect that.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 20, 2020, 01:48:52 pm by drfchound »

The team picked itself.

Yes, we have a chance but I can’t agree it is as good a chance of any of the teams above us.
We are miles away from some of them.
I am happy that we have added to the squad as it was obviously not deep enough before the end of January.
However, for example, leaving both Copps and Sads out at Gillingham was a bad move (IMO) on top of the enforced change due to the injury to Reece.
Almost a third of the team that won the previous match.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 20, 2020, 02:02:08 pm by Campsall rover »

The team picked itself.

Yes, we have a chance but I can’t agree it is as good a chance of any of the teams above us.
I am happy that we have added to the squad as it was obviously not deep enough before the end of January.
However, for example, leaving both Copps and Sads out at Gillingham was a bad move (IMO) on top of the enforced change due to the injury to Reece.
Well can’t comment on either Bolton or Gillingham games as i was away on hols.
Yes did seem strange leaving both those two players out.

Yes obviously we are probably too far behind the top 3 in the league. But all the others are catchable imo.
Whether we will remains to be seen.
Wycombe, Oxford and Ipswich are struggling although the 2 former clubs had a positive result in their last games.

It’s up to us to put a serious run together now. If we do then it’s going to be an interesting end to the season.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 02:05:30 pm by Campsall rover »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 20, 2020, 02:03:55 pm by drfchound »
Ipswich had a positive result last time out too.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 20, 2020, 02:04:22 pm by MachoMadness »
To be fair that was the case last season and we ended up Marosi's stud length away from Wembley.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 20, 2020, 02:13:30 pm by RoversAlias »
Our form is still good, we have won the joint most points in the division since the turn of the year. Our form since the start of December is top six worthy.

The sheer number of teams in the mix and our heavy weighting of away games are the two main things working against us I believe. But we aren't out of it yet by any means.

It's a bit odd to me that everyone has gone from optimistic to saying we have no chance after one defeat, in a game we never felt entitled to be winning. If a week ago we'd said we needed to avoid losing any games for the rest of the season then we'd rightly be called daft for exaggerating.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on February 20, 2020, 02:15:14 pm by Donnywolf »

is Rovers beat the "route one team" on Feb 30th

I would give long odds on Rovers ever winning a Game on 30th of Feb and though possible I reckon our chances of winning on Feb 29th other than every 4 years or more are also long too  ;)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 20, 2020, 02:22:06 pm by drfchound »
To be fair that was the case last season and we ended up Marosi's stud length away from Wembley.

Yeah, I agree.
I agree that we have a chance but I do believe it is a slim one.
As RA says, the number of away games is very much against us.
With the swing of opinion in mind following the Gillingham defeat, that is brought on because all but two of the teams above us won last time out and one of the other two picked up a point thereby making our task harder.
However, as usual, I will be shouting my support at matches in the hope that we can defy the odds.

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 20, 2020, 02:32:21 pm by Move DRFC »
I reaaaaaaally hope I'm wrong but after the Tranmere game (we were excellent) I thought we were going to build a real run of positive results, but 4 points out of 12 including 2 flat home games against Rochdale and Bolton wasn't great and I'm much less confident we'll make play offs i'm afraid. Just think we need that run to get in top 6 and thought that it'd come after Tranmere if it was going to come at all. Positive thing is though is that we're still in the mix. We need to win on Saturday mind...

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 20, 2020, 03:15:40 pm by scawsby steve »

That was a better team than the current one.

Just my opinion of course.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 20, 2020, 03:17:53 pm by scawsby steve »
I reaaaaaaally hope I'm wrong but after the Tranmere game (we were excellent) I thought we were going to build a real run of positive results, but 4 points out of 12 including 2 flat home games against Rochdale and Bolton wasn't great and I'm much less confident we'll make play offs i'm afraid. Just think we need that run to get in top 6 and thought that it'd come after Tranmere if it was going to come at all. Positive thing is though is that we're still in the mix. We need to win on Saturday mind...

It's 7 points out of 12.

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 20, 2020, 04:38:05 pm by Move DRFC »

It's 7 points out of 12.

Sorry yeah you are right but I should have said 4 out of 9 since Tranmere. Point still stands, we didn't play great in any of the games since.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 20, 2020, 04:54:28 pm by graingrover »
We are a squad in formation and have the best prospects of attaining a solid platform by next season to achieve promotion and sustain our Championship status.Darren has not only a coaching formula but a socio cultural and motivational ethic that attracts the young and hungry who may be deprived of the Premiership dream but who with him can play and achieve the best of themselves with him and DRGC .

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 20, 2020, 05:16:15 pm by DearneValleyRover »

The team picked itself.

To be fair hound we were outplaying Gillingham until Fejiri’s moment of madness having Copps and Sads on the field is doubtful it would have changed the outcome.
What I will say is we are consistently inconsistent. We need to go on at least a 7 game run without losing with the majority of them victories for me to believe we can make the playoffs I just don’t think we have the maturity within the squad to do it.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 20, 2020, 05:32:59 pm by sha66y »
We are a squad in formation and have the best prospects of attaining a solid platform by next season to achieve promotion and sustain our Championship status.Darren has not only a coaching formula but a socio cultural and motivational ethic that attracts the young and hungry who may be deprived of the Premiership dream but who with him can play and achieve the best of themselves with him and DRGC .

Completely agree, and to be honest I don’t want us in the play offs....

( I know I’m on my own in this thought)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 20, 2020, 05:40:34 pm by scawsby steve »

Why don't you want us in the play-offs?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 20, 2020, 05:59:34 pm by drfchound »

But......as is always the case in the modern game, we will lose most, if not all of the loan players at the end of the season.
Therefore half the team will have to be recruited again.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on February 20, 2020, 06:04:36 pm by sha66y »

Because we might be lucky enough to fluke it ..... and I don’t think we are anywhere close to being ready for the next level.....I fear we would be the recipients of some serious good hidings by all but a handful of championship teams......I would prefer to see Donny getting stronger in this division were the occasional error wont be punished to what the Championship teams would do...

This is just my opinion and I have maintained it since the season started...

It’s not that I don’t want success, I just feel this team is not the one that will get us there .....

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on February 20, 2020, 06:45:57 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Completely agree, Sha66y but you do realise it will mean we aren't proper supporters.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 20, 2020, 07:18:41 pm by scawsby steve »

Because we might be lucky enough to fluke it ..... and I don’t think we are anywhere close to being ready for the next level.....I fear we would be the recipients of some serious good hidings by all but a handful of championship teams......I would prefer to see Donny getting stronger in this division were the occasional error wont be punished to what the Championship teams would do...

This is just my opinion and I have maintained it since the season started...

It’s not that I don’t want success, I just feel this team is not the one that will get us there .....

Do you seriously think that if we go up the board won't give Darren a Championship budget? Or that Darren won't sign Championship players? Can't you remember the players we signed last time we were in the Championship? Turnbull, Khumalo, Wellens, Sharp, Meite, Tamas, Neill.

With players like that, Dickov should have p*ssed safety.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012