Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:04:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Is the club cutting back?  (Read 10984 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Is the club cutting back?
« Reply #30 on February 22, 2020, 12:46:09 pm by Filo »
I think there's quite a bit of misunderstanding here, so I'll attempt to answer most of the queries and questions.

Season Tickets = Silver Members
Categorised as A, B and C depending on where people sit – as has been the case for the past three years.

There has been a price freeze on season tickets, this lasts until the first week of April.  Then they will go off sale and the full price decided once we know our divisional status – nothing new here we have done this for the past few years.

The £5 to £15 the club are offering on top of that if people buy before next Saturday is in addition to the standard early bird – not a case of us cutting our cloth –the club are offering people an increased discount for buying early.  Again nothing new here we sometimes do this – we offered 5% a few years back and a couple of years ago offered 500 prizes to the first 500 people who bought.  It’s nothing more than an additional sales incentive and to offer people who know they are coming next year (regardless of division) chance to save a little a bit more.

Purple Vouchers & DNA Cards
Are included in season ticket packages for anyone over the age of 18+.  The books retail at £25 and consists of hundreds of poundsworth of savings.  We’re giving them to season ticket holders for free.  This is us giving season ticket holders more for the same as what they paid last year (or if they buy before February we’re giving them more for less than what they paid last year).  If people don’t want them – that’s fine – it’s personal choice but if you eat at Taco Bell, Subway, Dominos, Giraffe, Frankie & Bennies or a dozen other places you can save money via the book.

Silver Plus
Is an optional add-on for those that want to buy it.  Last year it cost £140 (we reduced the price because of our 140 year anniversary) , the previous two years it cost £150.  This year we have reduced the price to £120.
The price reduction reflects the fact that the silver plus package doesn’t include as much as it has done in previous years.  The reason it doesn’t include as much is because in the IRWT survey showed we had silver plus members unhappy that they were paying £150 for a parking pass as they didn’t want the programmes, the shirt etc.
We then surveyed all silver plus members (over 100 of the 300 responded) and overwhelmingly they said they wanted the parking pass more than anything else but a % also said they wanted to have other things included rather than just buying a parking pass.  So we’ve compromised by adding DNA ¼ and half time draw for every home league game and reducing the price to £120.  With 23 home games plus DNA ¼ subscription and half time draw for every home league game that’s the equivalent of £154 worth of product for £120.  More so if we have cup games at home as they are also included (but obviously not guaranteed.

For the record DNA ¼ is not a compilation of programmes but a stand alone magazine.

Finally, Season ticket revenue has continued to rise over previous years, so they are obviously doing something right!!

Am I correct in reading that h/t draws in cup games are now included?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on February 22, 2020, 03:26:54 pm by silent majority »
Filo, I believe so.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on February 22, 2020, 04:20:11 pm by silent majority »
Hmmmm, it appears to get worse!

According to the flier that came though the post Silver Plus members are supposed to 'get' the Purple Book as part of the package.  By 'get' I assumed that it was included in the price.

Nothing to the contrary on the card receipt they gave me, just the amount I'd paid; and they handed me a copy there and then.

But when I received my detailed email receipt I see I have been charged £25 for it!  That's £25 for something I'm hardly likely to use - money off kids rides and eating places no where near Doncaster  aren't much use for an OAP. And I can get better discount % at vouchercodes.co.uk. for places I do eat at!

Going to phone the Box Office and see what they say.  Not happy!

You haven't been charged £25 for anything, the receipt just explains the value of things. Your season ticket will be exactly the same price whether you take the purple voucher book or not.

And to answer your previous point, the IRWT survey results haven't been released yet, but I understand the club are close to doing so. The survey of Silver Plus members was carried out and of the 300 or so who were contacted 100 responded. The decisions to amend the Silver+ membership came from that.

Firstly, thank you SM for a very comprehensive summary of the new ticketing prices, appreciated.   :)

However, in respect of my being charged £25 for the purple book I'm afraid you're wrong.  Here's the invoice I received by email this morning, (personal details removed)....

I paid £413.35 yesterday, that's £268.35 Senior Category A with Rovers Alliance discount and reduced by a further £2 for an unused ticket, (which they applied automatically - I didn't ask for it), £120 Silver Plus Membership and £25 Purple Voucher Book, clearly shown on the invoice.

So £263.35+£120+£25 = £413.35.  Try as I might, I can't get it to add up to anything else.  So, unless I'm missing something I've definitely been charged for the Purple Book.

I tried phoning the Box Office this morning but the answering system advised that it was shut.  I guess I'll just have to phone the Box Office on Monday - but I wonder how many other people this has happened to and who haven't noticed.

I don’t think the starting price of your ticket should be £263.35. But wise to check it out as there is no charge for the Purple book.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on February 22, 2020, 04:38:51 pm by Filo »

According to the flier that came though the post Silver Plus members are supposed to 'get' the Purple Book as part of the package.  By 'get' I assumed that it was included in the price.

Nothing to the contrary on the card receipt they gave me, just the amount I'd paid; and they handed me a copy there and then.

But when I received my detailed email receipt I see I have been charged £25 for it!  That's £25 for something I'm hardly likely to use - money off kids rides and eating places no where near Doncaster  aren't much use for an OAP. And I can get better discount % at vouchercodes.co.uk. for places I do eat at!

You haven't been charged £25 for anything, the receipt just explains the value of things. Your season ticket will be exactly the same price whether you take the purple voucher book or not.

And to answer your previous point, the IRWT survey results haven't been released yet, but I understand the club are close to doing so. The survey of Silver Plus members was carried out and of the 300 or so who were contacted 100 responded. The decisions to amend the Silver+ membership came from that.

Firstly, thank you SM for a very comprehensive summary of the new ticketing prices, appreciated.   :)

However, in respect of my being charged £25 for the purple book I'm afraid you're wrong.  Here's the invoice I received by email this morning, (personal details removed)....

I paid £413.35 yesterday, that's £268.35 Senior Category A with Rovers Alliance discount and reduced by a further £2 for an unused ticket, (which they applied automatically - I didn't ask for it), £120 Silver Plus Membership and £25 Purple Voucher Book, clearly shown on the invoice.

So £263.35+£120+£25 = £413.35.  Try as I might, I can't get it to add up to anything else.  So, unless I'm missing something I've definitely been charged for the Purple Book.

I tried phoning the Box Office this morning but the answering system advised that it was shut.  I guess I'll just have to phone the Box Office on Monday - but I wonder how many other people this has happened to and who haven't noticed.

I don’t think the starting price of your ticket should be £263.35. But wise to check it out as there is no charge for the Purple book.

My email invoice has no charge for the purple book

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on February 22, 2020, 04:44:32 pm by Not Now Kato »

Thanks again SM.

The ticket price on the invoice is calculated as the Over 60's Category A price, less the £15 Early Bird, less the 5% Rovers Alliance discount, less the £2 for the unused ticket.

Will give the Box Office a call on Monday. 

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on February 22, 2020, 04:45:16 pm by Not Now Kato »

My email invoice has no charge for the purple book

Thanks Filo.   :)

RTID75

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on February 22, 2020, 04:57:12 pm by RTID75 »
I'd happily pay £150 again for the original Plus benefits. I'm not happy paying £30 less and not getting the shirt or match programmes.

You have to wonder why they felt the need to change it in the first place. It's obviously about trying to trim stuff off to increase profit, although I suspect that could well have backfired with lost sales. They've certainly lost mine.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on February 22, 2020, 05:20:57 pm by silent majority »
I'd happily pay £150 again for the original Plus benefits. I'm not happy paying £30 less and not getting the shirt or match programmes.

You have to wonder why they felt the need to change it in the first place. It's obviously about trying to trim stuff off to increase profit, although I suspect that could well have backfired with lost sales. They've certainly lost mine.

The decision was made because the people who responded asked for it to be changed.

It’s nothing to do with profit or margins, the club did what they were asked to do.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on February 22, 2020, 05:39:53 pm by Filo »

The decision was made because the people who responded asked for it to be changed.

It’s nothing to do with profit or margins, the club did what they were asked to do.

To be fair I don’t think we were directly asked in the Survey, if I remember correctly we were asked to prioritise the benefits

RTID75

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on February 22, 2020, 05:55:09 pm by RTID75 »
Filo's right.

Although it obviously happened for a reason, I'm as sure as I can be from doing the survey there was no mention of them stripping Plus back.

It's not been done well.

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on February 22, 2020, 06:28:46 pm by 5 on Tour »
I think there's quite a bit of misunderstanding here, so I'll attempt to answer most of the queries and questions.

Season Tickets = Silver Members
Categorised as A, B and C depending on where people sit – as has been the case for the past three years.

There has been a price freeze on season tickets, this lasts until the first week of April.  Then they will go off sale and the full price decided once we know our divisional status – nothing new here we have done this for the past few years.

The £5 to £15 the club are offering on top of that if people buy before next Saturday is in addition to the standard early bird – not a case of us cutting our cloth –the club are offering people an increased discount for buying early.  Again nothing new here we sometimes do this – we offered 5% a few years back and a couple of years ago offered 500 prizes to the first 500 people who bought.  It’s nothing more than an additional sales incentive and to offer people who know they are coming next year (regardless of division) chance to save a little a bit more.

Purple Vouchers & DNA Cards
Are included in season ticket packages for anyone over the age of 18+.  The books retail at £25 and consists of hundreds of poundsworth of savings.  We’re giving them to season ticket holders for free.  This is us giving season ticket holders more for the same as what they paid last year (or if they buy before February we’re giving them more for less than what they paid last year).  If people don’t want them – that’s fine – it’s personal choice but if you eat at Taco Bell, Subway, Dominos, Giraffe, Frankie & Bennies or a dozen other places you can save money via the book.

Silver Plus
Is an optional add-on for those that want to buy it.  Last year it cost £140 (we reduced the price because of our 140 year anniversary) , the previous two years it cost £150.  This year we have reduced the price to £120.
The price reduction reflects the fact that the silver plus package doesn’t include as much as it has done in previous years.  The reason it doesn’t include as much is because in the IRWT survey showed we had silver plus members unhappy that they were paying £150 for a parking pass as they didn’t want the programmes, the shirt etc.
We then surveyed all silver plus members (over 100 of the 300 responded) and overwhelmingly they said they wanted the parking pass more than anything else but a % also said they wanted to have other things included rather than just buying a parking pass.  So we’ve compromised by adding DNA ¼ and half time draw for every home league game and reducing the price to £120.  With 23 home games plus DNA ¼ subscription and half time draw for every home league game that’s the equivalent of £154 worth of product for £120.  More so if we have cup games at home as they are also included (but obviously not guaranteed.

For the record DNA ¼ is not a compilation of programmes but a stand alone magazine.

Finally, Season ticket revenue has continued to rise over previous years, so they are obviously doing something right!!

The issue for me within the above justification is around value. When you talk about the silver+ giving £154 of value for £120 it sounds fine. Except that the reduction of £20(from £140 to £120) removed far more in terms of value. Shirt value of £40 plus 23 lots of match day programmes at £3 meaning £69 of value. So a £20 cost reduction removing £109 of value is a shocking deal in all honesty.

So cost is 83% of last seasons but the value is 61% of last season. Butter it up anyway you want. That’s a shite deal in comparison.

RTID75

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on February 22, 2020, 08:30:29 pm by RTID75 »
Spot on. It's about value, and they've stripped masses of it out, and they've done it on the quiet.

It'll be the renewals that decide if their idea was a success or not. I can't speak for other Plus members, but (unless there is a change of heart from the club) my money is staying in my pocket.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on February 22, 2020, 08:31:52 pm by RoversAlias »
On the other hand, we are upgrading to a Silver Plus next season purely for the parking due to my dad's advancing age and limited mobility.

I'd have liked a shirt too but it isn't the end of the world.

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on February 22, 2020, 09:03:14 pm by 5 on Tour »
Spot on. It's about value, and they've stripped masses of it out, and they've done it on the quiet.

It'll be the renewals that decide if their idea was a success or not. I can't speak for other Plus members, but (unless there is a change of heart from the club) my money is staying in my pocket.

I’ve renewed the season tickets and cancelled the silver+. As I mentioned in earlier posts I was definitely not the first that day based on the reaction in the office.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on February 22, 2020, 09:12:36 pm by Michael Shaw »
SM.  Your description of all the complicated tickets is too important to just be lost in this thread.  It ought to be more prominent. Just my opinion.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on February 22, 2020, 09:47:06 pm by silent majority »
SM.  Your description of all the complicated tickets is too important to just be lost in this thread.  It ought to be more prominent. Just my opinion.

To be fair, if people read the literature they have been sent it would be a start.

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on February 22, 2020, 10:36:58 pm by elmsallrover »
On the other hand, we are upgrading to a Silver Plus next season purely for the parking due to my dad's advancing age and limited mobility.

I'd have liked a shirt too but it isn't the end of the world.
if for example there are four of you only one has to upgrade to silver plus as that person will get a car park pass therefore 4 people travelling in a car only one pass needed

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on February 22, 2020, 10:56:31 pm by drfchound »
What would be the situation if say four people took it in turn to use their car, so a different car every game.
Does the pass owner have to supply a car registration number or is the pass transferable from car to car?

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on February 22, 2020, 11:00:14 pm by 5 on Tour »

To be fair, if people read the literature they have been sent it would be a start.

To be fair, most of us have...

We all have a choice in this. The choice is whether we buy or something or not. We, as the supporters/customers, can choose not to purchase. DRFC as the retailer of a service/product need to make it appealing to purchase. If we as customers feel that value is being stripped out of a product offer and we don’t purchase it then we haven’t lost anything(as what we wanted no longer exists). The purveyor of the product however loses out on revenue.

Simply put it’s very simple - NO company in history has ever stripped out value from a product/service offering and got away with it in the long term. The only exceptions being commodity products. It’s not possible unless the retailer has decided to sell on cost instead of service. I’m assuming the aim as a football club is to sell on value? If DRFC have decided otherwise then I’m genuinely worried for our future. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 07:51:25 am by 5 on Tour »

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on February 22, 2020, 11:00:54 pm by 5 on Tour »
What would be the situation if say four people took it in turn to use their car, so a different car every game.
Does the pass owner have to supply a car registration number or is the pass transferable from car to car?

No mate. We’ve got 3 cars and just swap the pass onto the next car.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on February 22, 2020, 11:03:10 pm by drfchound »

No mate. We’ve got 3 cars and just swap the pass onto the next car.

Cheers mate.

RTID75

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on February 23, 2020, 12:11:52 am by RTID75 »
SM - I did read the literature, but given that was the first I knew of any change, given how hard you had to look to see what you were(n't) getting, coupled with obviously knowing what we used to get for a few quid more I found it a little difficult to believe.

It's very clear now, sadly.

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on February 23, 2020, 08:48:48 am by LincsRover »
I’ve had a ST for the last 15yrs, since my divorce forced me to take a break due to finances, and 20 odd yrs before that. I see it as getting a discount on full price match tickets and the rest (DNA card, purple books etc) are just a bonus. It’s also a way to invest in the club I love to try to help financial planning and makes me feel like I’m contributing to our success.

For the past 15yrs I’ve also bought my mums ST as she loves rovers and has had a Mother’s Day mascot treat and a 12 gifts of Christmas surprise in the last few years - thank you rovers! Unfortunately she has been too ill to use any of her match day tickets this year and it’s doubtful she’ll make many, if any, games next season either but I can’t not get her one as I’d feel I was writing her off and she’s already beaten the odds many times!  🥺.

However, because of the discounts I was able to get 2 adult tickets (instead of a senior & an adult) for £269.05 each (I’m also an alliance member so also get a discount for that too). The cost of both is still less than an adult and a senior ticket to every home game and if my mum can’t use it then my mate Derek is happy to so there’ll still be 2 happy (sometimes frustrated!) rovers fans cheering for our team.

I’m not saying people are wrong to complain about any changes, that’s up to them, but imho it’s still a good deal, you’re investing in the club we all love and hopefully we’ll keep DM and go for promotion next season (think this season is unlikely now after the snake left us in the  :turd:).

I also hope my mum gets through her health battles and gets to use her ST next season as Derek would be thrilled to pay for his tickets in order to have the 3 of us there.

:rtid: :rtid:

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on February 23, 2020, 10:12:53 am by roversdude »
Done mine on line and noticed I’ve been charged £25 for purple voucher book. Query on that as well the purple voucher books are normally for a calendar year - does that mean we are getting a book that is only valid for a few months

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on February 23, 2020, 10:31:18 am by Filo »
My membership and silver plus was £535 last year, it is £500 this year, I’m happy with that

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on February 23, 2020, 10:42:03 am by eastender »
Done mine on line and noticed I’ve been charged £25 for purple voucher book. Query on that as well the purple voucher books are normally for a calendar year - does that mean we are getting a book that is only valid for a few months
Good point , I normally renew at the ticket office but have done it on line yesterday for the first time. If people renewing at the office in person are given a Purple book there and then that's fine .
  Like you said if you get you in August with the ST then it basically pointless having it for a few months.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on February 23, 2020, 11:25:57 am by Not Now Kato »

That's a little disingenuous SM, It's clear from my OP, from my subsequent posts and those of others that we did read the flier!

IMO the club are not helping themselves in retaining existing customers and attracting new ones.  For my part, I need the car parking facility due to mobility issues following my knee replacement surgery, and can't guarantee paying on the day will get me into Car Park 3, (I've asked to be put on the list for Car Park2 if space becomes available), as there have been times when people were being turned away as Car Park 3 was full - doesn't help that Car Park 3 is also used by the athletics set and users of the outside football pitches on a matchday - though they were allowing people with passes in to park on the end of rows, fortunately for me.

I notice that someone else has been charged for the Purple Book that's supposed to be free too!

Not the best way to run a business IMO.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on February 23, 2020, 02:02:54 pm by silent majority »

That's a little disingenuous SM, It's clear from my OP, from my subsequent posts and those of others that we did read the flier!

IMO the club are not helping themselves in retaining existing customers and attracting new ones.  For my part, I need the car parking facility due to mobility issues following my knee replacement surgery, and can't guarantee paying on the day will get me into Car Park 3, (I've asked to be put on the list for Car Park2 if space becomes available), as there have been times when people were being turned away as Car Park 3 was full - doesn't help that Car Park 3 is also used by the athletics set and users of the outside football pitches on a matchday - though they were allowing people with passes in to park on the end of rows, fortunately for me.

I notice that someone else has been charged for the Purple Book that's supposed to be free too!

I wasn't referring to you in particular. And I was talking generally.
For example, we had the initial IRWT survey, which as everybody knows is our way of asking what it is that supporters want from the club, what's important to the supporters, what's working and what isn't. From that the comments came back that the Silver + membership wasn't working for a number of people.

So, the club then contacted everyone on their list, about 300 in total and about 100 responded. Those100 suggested the changes be made to the offering, which the club duly obliged.

Yet now they're being criticised for doing so. Surely this is something that the club can't win?

As for the Purple book, nobody is being charged for it, its free, but there is a charge of £25 shown as that's its current value/selling price.

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on February 23, 2020, 02:18:42 pm by 5 on Tour »

I wasn't referring to you in particular. And I was talking generally.
For example, we had the initial IRWT survey, which as everybody knows is our way of asking what it is that supporters want from the club, what's important to the supporters, what's working and what isn't. From that the comments came back that the Silver + membership wasn't working for a number of people.

So, the club then contacted everyone on their list, about 300 in total and about 100 responded. Those100 suggested the changes be made to the offering, which the club duly obliged.

Yet now they're being criticised for doing so. Surely this is something that the club can't win?

As for the Purple book, nobody is being charged for it, its free, but there is a charge of £25 shown as that's its current value/selling price.

SM I don’t know you personally but you never come across as a fool. So surely you’re not naive enough to think we believe that the Rovers pricing structure is based on a survey response of 100 people? Because we don’t. At all.

RTID75

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on February 23, 2020, 02:31:19 pm by RTID75 »
We didn't suggest changes! It was a survey in which you rated the parts of the Plus membership in order of their importance to you.

It's clear there was an underlying reason for them sending out the survey, but at no point were you told by responding you were basically bringing about the demise of certain parts of it, and I'd never have imagined it'd be brought in so quickly (ie: for 2020/21, not 2021/22).

I struggle to see how most Plus members would willingly vote to remove the shirt and matchday programme. To me they were a key part of the value.

I'd love to hear from the club what 'wasn't working'. If it wasn't working then surely sales would have been tiny from the off, or dramatically falling from previous seasons (with the same benefits, I doubt this). Or perhaps they were, but we don't know as the club weren't clear with voicing their underlying intentions when the survey was put out.

Personally, I have zero use for the Rugby tickets  and I have next to no use for a DNA card, but that was part of it and you make your decision to spend your money based on what's put in front of you.

Now what's been put in front of me no longer appeals. It's a shame, it was a good initiative. Others may disagree, but I'm sure a £30 reduction for what we're now being offered will bring a big drop in sales.

I'll still renew my ST though. That isn't in doubt.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012