Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:55:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rebecca Long Bailey  (Read 2266 times)

BigH

• VSC Member
Rebecca Long Bailey
« on February 21, 2020, 09:06:17 pm by BigH »
Really??

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
Re: Rebecca Long Bailey
« Reply #1 on February 21, 2020, 09:09:49 pm by SydneyRover »
More info required  :)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 21, 2020, 09:23:14 pm by drfchound »

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 21, 2020, 09:39:52 pm by Pancho Regan »
Do you require telepathy to be able to contribute to this thread?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 21, 2020, 09:50:29 pm by drfchound »
Do you require telepathy to be able to contribute to this thread?

I will tell you a telepathic joke.......
Shall I tell you another one?

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 21, 2020, 11:41:49 pm by tyke1962 »
Aye go on and elect her for the Labour leadership ..... why not ?

The Labour Party just loves sitting in opposition as a protest party .

Meanwhile the rest of us have to endure 10 years of austerity driven tory governments and a whopping further endorsement of 5 more years led by a f**kin clown and his henchmen / women .

Mind you the policies were popular with the electorate apparently , apart from the fact 3m more people voted tory .

Corbyn with lipstick ...... a sure fire winner !!!

:suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 22, 2020, 06:53:50 am by Donnywolf »
Unfortunately imho whoever takes the poisoned chalice from Corbyn will have to endure maybe 10 years in opposition whilst the Clown and his entourage do whatever they want with the mandate "of doing what the people wanted"

They will land many blows on the Clown but there can be no knock out even though 56 out of every 100 that voted , voted against the Clown and so they (LN SKS or RL-B or whoever Labour elect) will already be a spent force at the end of that time.

I cant forsee how the Clown "falls".

Could be a heap of c**p like my prediction the Clown would resign after the Election if he won - so please dont stay tuned !
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 07:31:52 am by Donnywolf »

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 22, 2020, 07:09:05 am by BigH »

Meanwhile the rest of us have to endure 10 years of austerity driven tory governments and a whopping further endorsement of 5 more years led by a f**kin clown and his henchmen / women .

Mind you the policies were popular with the electorate apparently , apart from the fact 3m more people voted tory .

Tyke, thanks for filling in the blanks and articulating my thoughts.

I find the prospect of RLB leading the Labour Party baffling, scary, depressing.

If it happens then the party will die as a meaningful political force. And it will be congratulations once again to agents Corbyn, Lansman, McDonnell and McCluskey for gifting more to the Conservative Party than they could ever have wished for.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 22, 2020, 08:44:09 am by Bentley Bullet »
Like Corbyn Monoxide and Diane Abbott before her, Rebecca Long Bailey will do for the Conservative party what Cameron John did for Gillingham.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 09:16:20 am by Bentley Bullet »

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 22, 2020, 09:32:16 am by wilts rover »

I notice that RLB was in the press the other day proposing that undoubtably unpopular policy of building more affordable homes and council houses.

Political leadership depends on judgement and reading the public mood. Keir Starmer judged the public mood and said this will be our Brexit policy and the country said...

Do you have any more examples of unpopular policies she supports and the others don't?

Or popular policies the others are proposing that she doesn't support?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 22, 2020, 09:40:47 am by drfchound »
Unfortunately imho whoever takes the poisoned chalice from Corbyn will have to endure maybe 10 years in opposition whilst the Clown and his entourage do whatever they want with the mandate "of doing what the people wanted"

They will land many blows on the Clown but there can be no knock out even though 56 out of every 100 that voted , voted against the Clown and so they (LN SKS or RL-B or whoever Labour elect) will already be a spent force at the end of that time.

I cant forsee how the Clown "falls".

Could be a heap of c**p like my prediction the Clown would resign after the Election if he won - so please dont stay tuned !

The thing is though Wolfie, they won under the current voting system.
If another party had won, say Labour for example, would their supporters have complained about the voting system.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 22, 2020, 10:10:27 am by SydneyRover »
We'll never get a better voting system while murdoch pulls the strings  :)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 22, 2020, 11:03:25 am by Donnywolf »
I am unsure with the whole Council House building that is proposed.

Is the Right to Buy scheme still in operation ? If YES what incentive is there for say DMBC to put millions into building loads only for them to be sold and have to start again ?

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 22, 2020, 01:29:06 pm by tyke1962 »

I notice that RLB was in the press the other day proposing that undoubtably unpopular policy of building more affordable homes and council houses.

Political leadership depends on judgement and reading the public mood. Keir Starmer judged the public mood and said this will be our Brexit policy and the country said...

Do you have any more examples of unpopular policies she supports and the others don't?

It's not a simple question of popular v unpopular , it's whether those policies have the confidence of the electorate knowing they can be paid for .

There's also the question of credibility attached to those who propose social policies .

RLB comes from a corner of the party who are all out of credibility if they ever had any to begin with .

How many election defeats do you need to realise that fact ? .

The Overton Window suggests the building of social housing paid for by people who won't live in them is non too popular with the electorate .

It seems to escape the left that the truth is not enough people care about young people having decent affordable homes .

I can't make society what I'd like it to be and neither can the left , they've tried long enough .

Thatcher changed the UK for ever and no amount of left wing social consciousness will change that , it's an uncomfortable fact but it is a fact .

The rise of foodbanks , NHS underfunded , Universal Credit , Police cuts , Social care haven't changed a thing that gives the left to the keys to number 10 .

Do I like what the country's become ?

Of course not , are many of Labour's proposals policies they should stand behind ?

Of course they are but the problem is that is still not and unlikely to be a route in to power .

What is harmful is that the policies the left propose are largely ignored by a huge amount of the electorate who are disconnected from politics and for whom many of their policies are actually aimed at .

Your knocking on the door but nobody's home and those who do open the door have turned to the far right .

I want rid of the tories and I want rid of them for decades if I could influence that .

Cut the social pity and start giving people some confidence and aspiration and not charity as it comes across no matter how great the social conscience .

It might be a good idea that they actually start to get people to believe they are on their side and not the migrants .

Now that might not be a particularly great thing to say but we are where we are and we are in the business of winning elections are we not ?

Sat in opposition you can't change a thing .

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 22, 2020, 01:57:07 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

And there you have the Great Betrayal Myth that the next generation of the Left will be suckled on.

Conveniently ignoring the fact that when Corbyn and McCluskey had their policy of actively supporting Brexit in the first half of 2019, Labour lost something like 5-6 million supporters. That inconvenient fact will be buried.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on February 22, 2020, 02:39:33 pm by Not Now Kato »

It's not a simple question of popular v unpopular , it's whether those policies have the confidence of the electorate knowing they can be paid for .

There's also the question of credibility attached to those who propose social policies .

RLB comes from a corner of the party who are all out of credibility if they ever had any to begin with .

The Overton Window suggests the building of social housing paid for by people who won't live in them is non too popular with the electorate .

It seems to escape the left that the truth is not enough people care about young people having decent affordable homes .

I can't make society what I'd like it to be and neither can the left , they've tried long enough .

Thatcher changed the UK for ever and no amount of left wing social consciousness will change that , it's an uncomfortable fact but it is a fact .

The rise of foodbanks , NHS underfunded , Universal Credit , Police cuts , Social care haven't changed a thing that gives the left to the keys to number 10 .

Of course not , are many of Labour's proposals policies they should stand behind ?

Of course they are but the problem is that is still not and unlikely to be a route in to power .

What is harmful is that the policies the left propose are largely ignored by a huge amount of the electorate who are disconnected from politics and for whom many of their policies are actually aimed at .

Your knocking on the door but nobody's home and those who do open the door have turned to the far right .

I want rid of the tories and I want rid of them for decades if I could influence that .

Cut the social pity and start giving people some confidence and aspiration and not charity as it comes across no matter how great the social conscience .

It might be a good idea that they actually start to get people to believe they are on their side and not the migrants .

Now that might not be a particularly great thing to say but we are where we are and we are in the business of winning elections are we not ?

All of that may be true.  However, sat in the opposition isn't going to get you blamed for all the hardships and problems Brexit is going to create for people in the UK.  The Tories caused this, they now have to manage it and take responsibility for the shit storm that will come out of it.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on February 22, 2020, 09:45:16 pm by BigH »

Wilts, the problem - and it's a huge problem for her - is that RLB just isn't leadership material.

In this age of political magical thinking you can be for as many policies as you like, and they're all great. I get it.

But if you're tainted by association with one of the most damaging political factions of our era - and, worse, you are openly advocating being the continuity candidate for that failed faction - then you're damaged goods.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on February 23, 2020, 06:03:08 pm by i_ateallthepies »

All of that may be true.  However, sat in the opposition isn't going to get you blamed for all the hardships and problems Brexit is going to create for people in the UK.  The Tories caused this, they now have to manage it and take responsibility for the shit storm that will come out of it.

The loony left of the Labour party will be every bit as culpable as the government itself for their deeds over the next five years.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 23, 2020, 07:11:57 pm by DonnyOsmond »
"It's the center-lefts fault we voted for this right wing government who will cosy up with Trump."

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 23, 2020, 07:47:05 pm by wilts rover »

Wilts, the problem - and it's a huge problem for her - is that RLB just isn't leadership material.

In this age of political magical thinking you can be for as many policies as you like, and they're all great. I get it.

But if you're tainted by association with one of the most damaging political factions of our era - and, worse, you are openly advocating being the continuity candidate for that failed faction - then you're damaged goods.

Yes BigH but WHY?

All you have done here is regurgitate Daily Mail propaganda. What facts, what actions, what speeches/interviews can you point me to that justifies your opinion of Long-Bailey?

Continuity Corbyn is a meaningless phrase. From what I have seen all three candidates are saying pretty much the same thing, the same reasons for loosing, the same policies going forward - why are they not all 'continuity Corbyn' then?

If you think Keir Starmer or Lisa Nandy will get an easier ride than RLB then you are going to be in  for a shock. Whoever becomes the next Labour leader will be attacked mercilessly by the media, even more so than Corbyn, because Johnson, and the people who fund him, know that works as the way to divide the opposition and keep him in power.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 23, 2020, 08:27:58 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
They don't really need help to divide the party. I heard Richard Burgon interviewed on R4 this morning. He spent the entire 15 minutes just laying into "Blairites". So it's pretty clear where he's trying to attract votes from for the Deputy Leadership.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 23, 2020, 09:31:58 pm by wilts rover »
Yes Billy I noticed - I read the responses in this thread yours included.

As opposed to Starmer, Nandy and Long-Bailey who apparently all committed today to appointing one another to their shadow cabinet should they win, each saying how much they respect the others, Starmer saying LB and Nandy were 'excellent candidates, sincerely and genuinely putting forward very powerful cases that they think are right for our party, for our movement and for the country' and LB saying the other two were 'brilliant'.

Seems that people missed it. Here's the link:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/23/keir-starmer-commits-to-shadow-cabinet-posts-for-long-bailey-and-nandy

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 23, 2020, 09:41:39 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Wilts.

The only thing I've said on this thread that could be considered sectarian, was in response to a post of yours which did what many people on the Left have been doing since the Election: point the finger at Starmer for Labour's catastrophic performance in the Election, and entirely misrepresent the Labour/Brexit problem.

I entirely agree that we need less sectarianism in the party going forwards. That means from ALL of us.

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 24, 2020, 06:47:12 pm by foxbat »
It just has to be Kier Starmer

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on February 24, 2020, 08:35:17 pm by BigH »
Wilts,

You ask WHY.

To my mind it's about two things; leadership capability and credibility with the electorate.

RLB has nothing in her personal, professional or political history to suggest any leadership experience at any level let alone that relevant to leading a major political party. At least Starmer had 5 years running the Crown Prosecution Service.

Then there's credibility. I'm sorry, but in her slavish, immature devotion to Corbyn, RLB has done herself a massive disservice, effectively dissing not only those people who couldn't bring themselves to vote for Corbyn but also those people who voted for Corbyn through gritted teeth.

You make your bed, you lie in it. RLB has, through various statements in recent weeks, held herself up as the standard bearer for a failed political faction, one that, by its rank amateurism and ineptitude, wilfully allowed the most right wing government in my lifetime to take office. And with a landslide majority. That's not Daily Mail regurgitation. That's failure on an epic scale.

Now, at some point in the future she may grow up, get real and take positions more relevant to the majority of the electorate. She may even get into high office.

But, for now, she's nowhere near.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 24, 2020, 09:16:19 pm by Ldr »
Foxbat and Bigh, nail on head with those posts

TinyPortal © 2005-2012