Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:47:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rovers for the young ‘uns  (Read 2723 times)

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
Rovers for the young ‘uns
« on February 22, 2020, 07:40:11 am by Herbert Anchovy »
Last night my niece asked me what is was like supporting the Rovers when I was younger. This is her second season as a regular attendee at games and she loves it. Going through some of my memories with her, I’m pleased that going to matches now has changed mostly for the better. So, having put away a couple of medicinal brandies I quickly fell into nostalgia mode that went something like this...

Stood on a 3 quarter empty pop side, having a piss in a roofless toilet, dodging bottles and coins chucked at you by away fans, seeing any player with a semblance of football talent sold to the first bidder, fog rolling in from the racecourse, no idea who the clubs owners were, Chairmen not giving a shit about the views of the fans, 3 of you singing & being drowned out by 20 Exeter fans, being chased down Bennethorpe by 40 Sheffield United fans, Billy Bremmner answering the club secretary’s phone cos she’d been made redundant and the club couldn’t afford a new one, end of season re-election (again), apologising to away fans for locking them up in the ‘pig pen’ for the duration of the game, having Belle Vue completely taken over by Middlesbrough fans who then give you a very nasty talking to outside, having the social club taken over by the golf club cos we couldn’t afford to keep it, continual threats of bankruptcy, bucket collections in town for the club, being star struck seeing Ian Nimmo in Angies Video Club on Scot Lane, chatting with Ian Snodin and Glen Humphries in Romeo & Juliets, average season attendances of 1500, taking only 150 fans to away games, running back home after the game to catch final score on Grandstand, being surrounded by police on the terrace at Bristol City for our own protection, Tommy Gaynor scoring with an overhead kick at Darlington, being amazed when we signed Alan Brown, being gutted when the Snodins left, being mystified when Daryl Pugh left, Mansfield and Lincoln ‘taking’ the pop side, watching Rovers yobs ‘take’ the home ends at Bury, York and Hartlepool, seeing Rovers players thumbing for a lift on the way to Northampton after their bus broke down, taking 10,000 to Everton and then only getting 2000 at the next home game, catching the football special to Crystal Palace, boozing in the bar at the top of the pop stand and not seeing any of the game, taking part in a mass game of football with Villa and Oldham fans in a service station car park on route to an away game, seeing Leeds supporters coaches parked at waterdale when we were playing at home, only getting the ‘latest news’ from the evening post, being the only kid at a Donny school who supported the Rovers, walking away from the ground after a sorry defeat and vowing to never, ever return...only to be heading to Cambridge for an away game the following Tuesday, nobody else outside of Donny seemingly giving a shit about whether the club exists or not.

I was on a role. I’m so pleased that following the Rovers for kids like my niece is on the whole, much better now and if I’m honest I’m a little jealous at kids now just beginning their love affair with the club. They’ve got a proper roller coaster journey ahead of them. I told my niece that being a Rovers fan can be tough, it requires stamina and it’ll sometimes seem like they’re going out of their way to deliberately ruin your weekend...but I wouldn’t have changed my experience for the world. I love the Rovers. Sometimes they make it really, really hard for me to love them and I’m not too sure they love me back, but I do.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 08:00:17 am by Herbert Anchovy »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
Re: Rovers for the young ‘uns
« Reply #1 on February 22, 2020, 07:48:39 am by 1879Rovers »
You sould like you are about the same age as me. My first game was v Derby County in the League Cup.

That was a very lively atmosphere and we had some other big League Cup ties with both Sheffield clubs in the following few years.

Then came Billy Bremner and some fantastic young footballers along with a wealth of experience from a few.

The promotion party v Bournemouth.

Fa Cup runs, eventually halted by Norwich and then Everton in the space of a few years.

I actually remember more vividly my first ten years following Rovers than the past ten years.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 22, 2020, 07:56:14 am by Donnywolf »
Good write up HA

We are all in a better place now than those days you write about - and lets hope things keep improving both on and off the Pitch and the younger ones appreciate what they have

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 22, 2020, 08:03:41 am by Herbert Anchovy »
You sould like you are about the same age as me. My first game was v Derby County in the League Cup.

That was a very lively atmosphere and we had some other big League Cup ties with both Sheffield clubs in the following few years.

Then came Billy Bremner and some fantastic young footballers along with a wealth of experience from a few.

The promotion party v Bournemouth.

Fa Cup runs, eventually halted by Norwich and then Everton in the space of a few years.

I actually remember more vividly my first ten years following Rovers than the past ten years.

I agree with all that. I remember the team that Bremner put together in 84 was, I thought, going to walk the league. Then it all fell apart a bit!!

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 22, 2020, 08:37:08 am by DearneValleyRover »
Remember HA what we went through paved the way for the kids of today, I wouldn’t change a single thing in the 47 years of following the Rovers

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 22, 2020, 08:41:40 am by Jimmydee »
I must be of a similar age to you too with those memories, the young uns will still be in their snuggly central heated pits wondering how we survived our youth.

craigdrfc

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 22, 2020, 09:39:17 am by craigdrfc »
Excellent piece HA. Having started my journey in 83/84 I share a fair few of those memories with you. Tough a lot of the time? Absolutely! Change any of it? No, not sure I would to be honest! .... Except maybe the Richardson era, but then I truly believe those years made us what we are today.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 22, 2020, 09:56:01 am by drfchound »
Ah, but some of you young uns don’t know you’re born.
I have suffered much more than the stuff mentioned on here having first seen the Rovers (and being hooked after watching a 0-0 draw) in 1962/63 season

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 22, 2020, 10:08:07 am by Herbert Anchovy »
Ah, but some of you young uns don’t know you’re born.
I have suffered much more than the stuff mentioned on here having first seen the Rovers (and being hooked after watching a 0-0 draw) in 1962/63 season

You’d have got less for murder Hound...

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 22, 2020, 10:08:43 am by Donnywolf »
Here is a piece that I wrote to capture (or try to) what a typical Rovers fan did in the 60s. I wrote it for The Pop Side Fanzine about 3 years ago and my memorabilia is pictured as well

Compared to Copps’s 500th Shirt my “Poster” (pictured) pales into insignificance. Tatty and worth nowt it’s nevertheless priceless to me providing a link to my Rovers supporting past – my Dad – and a Supporters life so different it is hard to believe it is barely 45 years ago

In “those days” of no PC’s/Social media, no Mobile Phones/Teletext, the information on when “we” were at home next came via Saturdays Green Un, Programmes, your mates at School or work mates where “most” seemed interested, making for big Gates. Another way was Posters like this simply stuck on the windows of Rovers Express Buses.

Rovers Expresses ran from most areas around Donny and “mine” were double decker Blue Line Buses from Dunscroft via Stainy. They were for people without Cars or kids whose Dads worked shifts. They were cheap and great, picking you up on the Bus route at a constant time before KO so whatever day/time KO was you knew when it would appear. Sometimes it sailed past full and you instinctively knew another would be added and they never failed – taking you straight to Belle Vue.

Usually full of Pit Moggies (an endearing nickname), their kids and Smoke as it was allowed back then, the Buses were a hive of discussion and suppressed excitement. In those days you did not have or need a Forum – you just got on the Express and listened throughout the journey. Would we get there for KO? Would we win? What would the Team be? Who was dropped/injured or even signed? Unlike now you just did not know till you got a Programme and listened for the Team changes.

The Buses had no back doors so it seemed cold any time of year and often condensation rolled down the windows. At the end of the Game you ran full speed to get your preferred seat but if Rovers were losing badly the Express offered sanctuary from “further punishment” and many a time you were on there early with many others BUT bizarrely everyone was on the top-deck trying to see over the wall, watching and hoping for an unlikely comeback.

Then it was home, discussions in full flow whether you’d won or lost and you said “see you next game” to the people in your “club” as you disembarked and if the windows were wet you could leave with next weeks Poster even when 21!

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 22, 2020, 10:15:28 am by Herbert Anchovy »
Here is a piece that I wrote to capture (or try to) what a typical Rovers fan did in the 60s. I wrote it for The Pop Side Fanzine about 3 years ago and my memorabilia is pictured as well

Compared to Copps’s 500th Shirt my “Poster” (pictured) pales into insignificance. Tatty and worth nowt it’s nevertheless priceless to me providing a link to my Rovers supporting past – my Dad – and a Supporters life so different it is hard to believe it is barely 45 years ago

In “those days” of no PC’s/Social media, no Mobile Phones/Teletext, the information on when “we” were at home next came via Saturdays Green Un, Programmes, your mates at School or work mates where “most” seemed interested, making for big Gates. Another way was Posters like this simply stuck on the windows of Rovers Express Buses.

Rovers Expresses ran from most areas around Donny and “mine” were double decker Blue Line Buses from Dunscroft via Stainy. They were for people without Cars or kids whose Dads worked shifts. They were cheap and great, picking you up on the Bus route at a constant time before KO so whatever day/time KO was you knew when it would appear. Sometimes it sailed past full and you instinctively knew another would be added and they never failed – taking you straight to Belle Vue.

Usually full of Pit Moggies (an endearing nickname), their kids and Smoke as it was allowed back then, the Buses were a hive of discussion and suppressed excitement. In those days you did not have or need a Forum – you just got on the Express and listened throughout the journey. Would we get there for KO? Would we win? What would the Team be? Who was dropped/injured or even signed? Unlike now you just did not know till you got a Programme and listened for the Team changes.

The Buses had no back doors so it seemed cold any time of year and often condensation rolled down the windows. At the end of the Game you ran full speed to get your preferred seat but if Rovers were losing badly the Express offered sanctuary from “further punishment” and many a time you were on there early with many others BUT bizarrely everyone was on the top-deck trying to see over the wall, watching and hoping for an unlikely comeback.

Then it was home, discussions in full flow whether you’d won or lost and you said “see you next game” to the people in your “club” as you disembarked and if the windows were wet you could leave with next weeks Poster even when 21!

That’s absolutely brilliant Wolf. I’d never heard of the Rovers Express bus before reading this!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 22, 2020, 10:20:12 am by drfchound »
There was one that went from Moorends too.
Me and a mate (10 years old) used to go on it.
My dad worked at the pit and as he didn’t go, his mates used to look out for us.
After the match the bus dropped me off at the top of our street and I just ran the last couple of hundred yards home.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 22, 2020, 10:29:06 am by Donnywolf »
HA - glad to add a bit to the debate. There are many photos in Black and White I have seen but at the moment the best I can do is this one (hope its not copywrited) in Colour.

With doors - now thats a luxury

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 22, 2020, 10:37:44 am by Donnywolf »
Bet Filo has got a Black n White ?

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 22, 2020, 10:56:14 am by StocktonRover »
I remember getting the Yorkshire traction buses from the bus station.
No booking required, just turn up and they would put on as many buses as required for the people that turned up.
The noise in the bus station with several hundred fans getting in the spirit was brilliant.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on February 22, 2020, 10:57:27 am by Donnywolf »
I have a Photo of double decker outside Armthorpe Motor Company - and I know Felix Buses took Dunsville fans and of course there were Thorne , Dunscroft and Stainforth but what about other areas ?

Anybody have them in Bentley Rosso etc ?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on February 22, 2020, 10:58:43 am by Donnywolf »
No booking required, just turn up and they would put on as many buses as required for the people that turned up.
The noise in the bus station with several hundred fans getting in the spirit was brilliant.

Was that for home games ?

I know YT did away games and featured in the Chant(s) of the day

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on February 22, 2020, 12:01:42 pm by StocktonRover »

Was that for home games ?

I know YT did away games and featured in the Chant(s) of the day
It was for the away games.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 22, 2020, 12:52:48 pm by Donnywolf »
Cheers for that

essexrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 22, 2020, 06:17:52 pm by essexrover »
Herbert you've got me all nostalgic now,but I can't believe you didn't mention the Cowsheds. That was the equivalent of the posh seats in those days  :)

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 22, 2020, 06:23:57 pm by Filo »
Bet Filo has got a Black n White ?

I’m a few years behind you mate, but I do remember the Rovers Express 😀

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 22, 2020, 07:58:19 pm by Donnywolf »
Thought you might have a Photo from Stainy Old Photos. I have seen it - good photo but at the moment cant lay my hands on it

Will check again on Duck n Go

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 22, 2020, 08:08:14 pm by Filo »
Thought you might have a Photo from Stainy Old Photos. I have seen it - good photo but at the moment cant lay my hands on it

Will check again on Duck n Go

It will be there somewhere, theres that many it takes ages to find them

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 22, 2020, 08:42:44 pm by Lesonthewest »
I used to catch the one at the top of Emerson Avenue, done out with my hat, scarf, & rattle. Great memories. Can still smell the fag smoke, Bovril & players linament in old Belle Vue now.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on February 23, 2020, 05:08:26 pm by Donnywolf »
Here a surprise for me ..... a single decker rounding a corner at Christ Church but can think why ?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on February 23, 2020, 05:18:56 pm by Filo »
Here a surprise for me ..... a single decker rounding a corner at Christ Church but can think why ?

Perhaps the driver had parked up and gone for something at Cooplands

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 23, 2020, 06:00:43 pm by sheffield exile1 »
Herbert you've got me all nostalgic now,but I can't believe you didn't mention the Cowsheds. That was the equivalent of the posh seats in those days  :)

Wasn't it a shilling (5p) to transfer into the luxury wooden stand at the town end (complete with clock)?

Also sure the original pop side construction had a bar in it where you could buy bottled beer, but had to drink it in the area- not bring it onto the teraces?

My first foray into OBV was just as Sir Lawrie was taking us up in the era of Ogston, Wicockson and Clish with Steve Briggs and Pancho up front if my memory is correct. Also if any former teachers are reading this... honestly I was off school ill and definitely not at the Liverpool afternoon KO Cup replay during the power cuts/3 day week!

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on February 23, 2020, 06:06:27 pm by Not Now Kato »
Britannia Class 70007 Coeur de Lion outside the Sheds around 1960.  Taken with my Box Brownie

TinyPortal © 2005-2012