Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:35:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: How young is too young?  (Read 2103 times)

TommyC

• Forum Member
How young is too young?
« on February 23, 2020, 10:22:50 pm by TommyC »
I would like to bring my daughter to her first Rovers game. She's only 18 months but a cheeky little bugger already though. Would everyone hate me if I brought her?

Just to add some background...she has been to motor racing and stuff like that with her ear muffs on and loved it.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 10:28:53 pm by TommyC »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Keenstonian

• Forum Member
Re: How young is too young?
« Reply #1 on February 23, 2020, 10:45:54 pm by Keenstonian »
Can she bring her boots?

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 23, 2020, 11:18:44 pm by dknward2 »
Took my son before he was 1 all wrapped up in onesies etc he's now almost 6 on Thursday he still comes to the odd game only reason he doesn't like it now is, Daddy (me) is to loud shouting at ref and other team etc

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 24, 2020, 08:08:19 am by Superspy »
Took my youngest before he turned 18 months, just swapped my usual season ticket from the south to the family stand for the day. No dramas.

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 24, 2020, 08:14:22 am by 5 on Tour »
I would like to bring my daughter to her first Rovers game. She's only 18 months but a cheeky little bugger already though. Would everyone hate me if I brought her?

Just to add some background...she has been to motor racing and stuff like that with her ear muffs on and loved it.

Mate if she can drown out the volume of my whining 6 year old after a week of half term I’ll pay for her ticket. 😂

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 24, 2020, 09:14:49 am by ravenrover »

Jenny is the one to answer that

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 24, 2020, 09:22:32 am by phil old leake »
Put her in the south stand and hopefully some of the negativity might be suspended for a game

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 24, 2020, 10:06:21 am by RugbyRover »
I remember the first game I took my lad to. He was about 4.
We sat down in the main stand at BV. Players came out for the warm up and he looked quite interested. Players came in, so up he popped and started to walk out. He thought the game was over  :)

So I told him that the game was still to start. Had enough sweets crisps and pop to bribe him back to his seat. He sat there til half time munching away. Players walked off the pitch and again my lad started to walk out.

I had to break it to him that that was only half time. But this time no amount of bribes could get him back into his seat. Major tantrum and cried his eyes out. I cut my losses and took him home.

I did get him into following Rovers for a couple of seasons later on. I think it was around the Dickov era so he hardly ever saw us win. He doesn't bother now.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 24, 2020, 10:35:07 am by drfchound »
I have seen a few occasions over the years where parents have brought very young children to the match.
Invariably after a short while they have become bored and the dads have had to leave early or had to try to entertain them and missed stuff happening on the pitch.

I have also seen situations where parents with these young children have asked other people around them to stop swearing etc.
This in itself has caused issues with varied responses like suggesting that the children should be in the family stand and if not it isn’t unreasonable for them to hear blokes swearing at football matches.

Sometimes the children can be too young to attend.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 24, 2020, 12:05:07 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
My dad took me to my first game when I was about 3 (97/98 season).

I shit myself & had to go at half time.

Hope she has better luck than me!

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 24, 2020, 01:58:54 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Took both of ours to plenty of games from young ages (eldest is 2 years 2 months and has been to 1 away game which was close to where we had a weekend away planned).  She's the lucky mascot, yet to see a home regular league defeat.  On the other side our youngest has been to about 4-5 games this season, we've yet to win one he's been at (he's 5 months old).  Both have had season tickets since being born.

It's just about being sensible really, they tend to sleep through the game most of the time anyway.  Family stand for us next year now they're getting older and actually the oldest doesn't come often, it's much easier when they're younger, she was fine until about 18 months old, now she gets a bit bored.

bigdonnybob

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 24, 2020, 02:00:47 pm by bigdonnybob »
Worse, or best, thing i ever did was buy my grandson a rovers top at about 6 years old, now every home game involves a 200 mile round journey. Doncaster to Ilkeston, to his mothers, to pick him up, up to the game at god knows what oclock because he must get every players autograph as they enter, even tho he got them at the previous game, then back down to Ripley, to dropo him at his dads and then home.
Sometimes i can get his dad to meet me at Junc29a but not often enough. No wonder i am driving a car with 250k on the speedo. God help me when i wasnt well enough to do the journey the other week, you wouldnt believe the earache i got.
He is already pestering me about his next seasons ticket.
BTW, he is now 10 going on 20.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 24, 2020, 02:07:09 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Worse, or best, thing i ever did was buy my grandson a rovers top at about 6 years old, now every home game involves a 200 mile round journey. Doncaster to Ilkeston, to his mothers, to pick him up, up to the game at god knows what oclock because he must get every players autograph as they enter, even tho he got them at the previous game, then back down to Ripley, to dropo him at his dads and then home.
Sometimes i can get his dad to meet me at Junc29a but not often enough. No wonder i am driving a car with 250k on the speedo. God help me when i wasnt well enough to do the journey the other week, you wouldnt believe the earache i got.
He is already pestering me about his next seasons ticket.
BTW, he is now 10 going on 20.

Definitely best thing, BDB. Priceless*.

Had some lovely memories with my Nana at Cardiff & Wembley & I hope you get the same, in good time!

(*Apart from the fuel, food & season ticket!)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 24, 2020, 03:20:48 pm by scawsby steve »

With all the playing out from the back, I'm close to shitting myself at most games.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 24, 2020, 03:21:47 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »

With all the playing out from the back, I'm close to shitting myself at most games.

Wonder if Centreplate could start having adult nappies available to buy?

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on February 24, 2020, 03:27:05 pm by Spud »
Took both my lads as young uns, can't remember what age we started maybe around 5 & 8.
The eldest was never really that into it but fair play to him he stuck at it for a couple or three  seasons. When he decided he didn't want to go any more the youngest didn't last much longer, they did everything together.
Anyway, fast forward a few years to last season & the youngest, then 16 asks me if I fancy going to the Palace cup game? My reply was "course yeah, but do you fancy Peterborough at home this sat?"
We do most home games now & did our first away on saturday, quality times that money can't buy.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 24, 2020, 04:40:34 pm by NickDRFC »
Each to their own and I suppose it might be difficult to arrange childcare etc but for me it’s crazy taking kids under the age of about 5 or 6 to a game. I’ve seen parents spend the whole game trying to entertain the kids - the parent doesn’t get to enjoy the game and the kid doesn’t even want to! I don’t see how it’s enjoyable for either party. Once they get to a certain age they’ll be much more likely to get into the game but I just don’t see the point when they’re too young to enjoy it but not old enough to entertain themselves.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 24, 2020, 09:12:11 pm by RugbyRover »
Each to their own and I suppose it might be difficult to arrange childcare etc but for me it’s crazy taking kids under the age of about 5 or 6 to a game. I’ve seen parents spend the whole game trying to entertain the kids - the parent doesn’t get to enjoy the game and the kid doesn’t even want to! I don’t see how it’s enjoyable for either party. Once they get to a certain age they’ll be much more likely to get into the game but I just don’t see the point when they’re too young to enjoy it but not old enough to entertain themselves.

I agree with what you say. They are only worth taking when they're old enough to go and get your grub at half time.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 24, 2020, 09:26:03 pm by idler »
Don't you mean pay for it at halt time?😉

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on February 24, 2020, 09:33:32 pm by Jenny »

It's easy when they are very young as they cant really cause too much fuss. Weve taken our two since they were very small as Andy has said above. Seb was 31 days old when he went to his first game and it's a breeze although he does seem to like to do a shit whilst at the football 🙄

TinyPortal © 2005-2012