Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:33:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Wycombe Wanderers game  (Read 5441 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Wycombe Wanderers game
« on February 24, 2020, 10:59:48 am by selby »
  An interesting game if only to see if Wycombe carry on the run of games against sides who's main aim is not to make the pace and play in the game, but like Gillingham and Shrewsbury their first instinct is to stop the other  team from settling and playing football by any means possible.
  I have been surprised by two things in the last two games, how incompetent the officials are at being a team with linos reduced to, apart from throw ins, taking no part in the game, and how easy it is to upset our game and how slow our team is at taking retribution on the main protagonists in areas of the field it really doesn't matter, give some back for gods sake.  On Saturday the smallest player on the field bossed us and the Referee even giving lectures to anyone near him, it is time to give players like that a real reason to complain about.
  I will leave the team who we are likely to field to other more knowledgeable supporters, I have no idea, will Coppinger have recovered from his 70 minutes on Saturday?. Have we actually got a left back in the building? Will we get back to fielding players that pose an attacking threat instead of watching from the bench?
  Lot's to discuss about this game and look forward to, please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Wycombe Wanderers game
« Reply #1 on February 24, 2020, 11:08:22 am by steve@dcfd »
Will we play players who have a track record of scoring goals consistently. Apart from Sads we don’t have any.
Playing nice football and helping with assists what ever age you are. Then be more clinical and put the ball in the net.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 12:18:54 pm by steve@dcfd »

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 24, 2020, 04:07:45 pm by scawsby steve »
My only prediction for this match Brian, is that there'll be plenty of empty seats.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 24, 2020, 04:27:16 pm by Alan Southstand »
There were plenty of empty seats at the last home game!

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 24, 2020, 04:45:22 pm by NewDonny »

Have been for a good number of weeks tbh!

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 24, 2020, 07:08:45 pm by the vicar »
still 7000 plus though at the last game

besty

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 24, 2020, 07:27:36 pm by besty »
This has been discussed before,thats not how many were there just how many season tickets have been sold.
Id like to know the true figure 5000?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 24, 2020, 07:33:05 pm by drfchound »
still 7000 plus though at the last game

Not necessarily true vicar.
STH counted as if they are in attendance, even if they aren’t there.
I would doubt very much that there were 7000 people in the ground against Bolton.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 24, 2020, 08:55:39 pm by scawsby steve »
This has been discussed before,thats not how many were there just how many season tickets have been sold.
Id like to know the true figure 5000?

That's a good guess Besty, and it'll probably get lower over the next few weeks

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 25, 2020, 11:48:17 am by selby »
The only way to improve things is to get better results,

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 25, 2020, 12:11:35 pm by steve@dcfd »
The only way to improve things is to get better results,

You are right supporters appear to picking on defensive errors by individual players yet taking chances in important games are our biggest bug bear.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 26, 2020, 12:38:09 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
have just looked at both teams "marmite" style odds to make the top 6
yes some bookmakers might have worrying liabilities of £3.50 and offer odds accordingly.

Rovers top 6 odds range from 13/2 (head in the sky odds) to 16/1 (over the hill odds)
Wycombe for "marmite lovers" they are 8/15  and 11/10 is also available for the "haters".

the best odds Rovers to win the match are 19/20 unbelievably offered by the same firm that offers the "screwge odds" of 13/2 top 6

make of that what you will :suicide:

update
on just finding out Lokilo is ready for the first team that 16/1 looks a bit tempting me thinks
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 01:00:03 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 26, 2020, 04:02:04 pm by drfchound »
Lokilo needs to be as good as Ronaldo if his presence is going to get us into the top six.
If he is that good I can’t wait to see him play.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 26, 2020, 04:10:41 pm by steve@dcfd »
Lokilo needs to be as good as Ronaldo if his presence is going to get us into the top six.
If he is that good I can’t wait to see him play.
If Sadlier and Taylor play we won’t need Lokilo or Ronaldo they will score the goals we need to get us towards the top six and show what we’ve been been missing over the last two games!!!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 28, 2020, 10:37:16 am by selby »
 For the second week running it looks as if our weekend fixture is not attracting much in the way of interest, either in the fixture itself or the line up of the team expected to take the field for us.
   The line up of the team is more of a mystery to me than the lack of interest in the fixture, that being a culmination of the lack of consistency and recent poor form that looks to have made a top six finish  unlikely, coupled with our poor showing in every cup competition making it look like a very unremarkable season as far as success is concerned, although after what the state of the squad was when Darren took over just being in the position we are in could be counted as success in my opinion in league 1, with the core of the squad much stronger, and a further shake up in playing personnel probably coming at the end of the season, next season probably the season to judge the clubs progress.
   This weeks team, I have not got a clue, will Coppinger be rested enough to play? will we see a new left back? who will play up front? all relevant questions with doubts about who will play, will Taylor come in in a wide position? and who will be the players to make way for any changes?
 Would anyone like to guess?

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 28, 2020, 10:55:20 am by Padge_DRFC »
If we go backwards from the position we were in in January Darren Moore has a lot to answer for. Needless signings otherwise. Anything now outside top 10 is a massive failure.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 28, 2020, 11:17:11 am by Colemans Left Hook »
For the second week running it looks as if our weekend fixture is not attracting much in the way of interest, either in the fixture itself or the line up of the team expected to take the field for us.
   The line up of the team is more of a mystery to me than the lack of interest in the fixture, that being a culmination of the lack of consistency and recent poor form that looks to have made a top six finish  unlikely, coupled with our poor showing in every cup competition making it look like a very unremarkable season as far as success is concerned, although after what the state of the squad was when Darren took over just being in the position we are in could be counted as success in my opinion in league 1, with the core of the squad much stronger, and a further shake up in playing personnel probably coming at the end of the season, next season probably the season to judge the clubs progress.
   This weeks team, I have not got a clue, will Coppinger be rested enough to play? will we see a new left back? who will play up front? all relevant questions with doubts about who will play, will Taylor come in in a wide position? and who will be the players to make way for any changes?
 Would anyone like to guess?

some of us have not forgotten that Rovers got a lot of "lastminute.com" style winners early on in the season Lincoln was one Fleetwood was another latish and there is a third i think from memory -- which raised expectations but this needs to be balanced against that loan merchant  giving away demoralising free stationery items in the form of "pens"  and the "Lewis Dunk" style goals we gave away.

Some might say the Rovers signings have disrupted the side not as much as Blackpool they were doing fine and i had them down as top six (i am sure a lot of you would have agreed with me) they made some great signings on paper  (which turned out to be toilet paper) and are in nosedive  sacked their manager .. signed Gary Madine for free amongst others on January 17th when he was valued at six million very recently.

the current Blackpool motto is be careful of what you wish for.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 11:20:07 am by Colemans Left Hook »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on February 28, 2020, 11:26:29 am by selby »
  Padge, I don't fully agree with that statement, yes results wise, since January and I suppose that is the measure of the first team, but as an all round state of the club the core of the club is stronger, and the likely hood of a player shake up being more controlled at the end and in preseason should give us a better foundation for a team to be successful next season than in the last two preseasons assuming our present manager does not do a runner like his two predecessors.
  With what went on in the early part of this season 10th to 12th would be about acceptable to me, any better and we have probably overachieved with the build up to this season we had.
  I suppose the big question is will we keep our management team together this closed season? I sincerely hope so, lets hope for once we have someone happy to work for the club.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 28, 2020, 12:05:41 pm by ravenrover »
Selby what are you measuring the lack of interest against?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on February 28, 2020, 12:57:07 pm by selby »
  RR , only the number of postings and observations on similar  threads I have started similar to this one in the past, not scientific I know but the numbers are well down from what I can see. and the gap between people posting their thoughts on the threads.
 Of course that could be my fault and people getting fed up with my opening ramblings, I hope not as my aim is to stimulate discussion about the next game and the club in general that is all, and not all the things I wright are the thoughts on the game I have, but to try and get people interested enough to put their thoughts into the thread to stimulate interest in the upcoming games.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 28, 2020, 01:01:06 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
  RR , only the number of postings and observations on similar  threads I have started similar to this one in the past, not scientific I know but the numbers are well down from what I can see. and the gap between people posting their thoughts on the threads.
 Of course that could be my fault and people getting fed up with my opening ramblings, I hope not as my aim is to stimulate discussion about the next game and the club in general that is all, and not all the things I wright are the thoughts on the game I have, but to try and get people interested enough to put their thoughts into the thread to stimulate interest in the upcoming games.

I'd love to get involved but I don't go as much as I used to. However, I still thoroughly enjoy reading these threads. Thank you for taking the time to put these up with the discussion points every few days.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 28, 2020, 04:32:40 pm by ravenrover »
Thank Selby

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 29, 2020, 08:05:43 am by sha66y »
Win = happy
Draw = wotever!
Lose = guess that’s that then !

Not sure who will score....if anyone
Not sure who’s turn it is to cock up and give a goal or 2 away...if at all
Not sure what team will take to the field

It’s only a modicum of apathy and I’m sure there are many more that feel this season has fizzled out since the clamour for a few more signings to strengthen the squad happened!

2- 2

A game were we get bullied from the start........

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 29, 2020, 10:36:38 am by selby »
  If the away game is anything to go by, I am confident that we are the better footballing side, and have enough in us to win the game.
  The real test will be the referee and his assistants  if the game goes the same way as at Wycombe.  They with Gillingham have given the best display of how to harangue the officials at every opportunity, and are masters at the professional foul and stopping the game to their advantage, and making the slightest touch on their players look like they have been decapitated. A thoroughly awful side to watch attempt to play their stile of football. The mystery to me is that week in week out teams like them get away with it with weak officials.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on February 29, 2020, 10:44:28 am by The Red Baron »
Most officials these days are weak. I don't think it's all their fault, because I don't think they get the backing of the FA.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 29, 2020, 05:42:27 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
have just looked at both teams "marmite" style odds to make the top 6
yes some bookmakers might have worrying liabilities of £3.50 and offer odds accordingly.

Rovers top 6 odds range from 13/2 (head in the sky odds) to 16/1 (over the hill odds)
Wycombe for "marmite lovers" they are 8/15  and 11/10 is also available for the "haters".

the best odds Rovers to win the match are 19/20 unbelievably offered by the same firm that offers the "screwge odds" of 13/2 top 6

make of that what you will :suicide:

update
on just finding out Lokilo is ready for the first team that 16/1 looks a bit tempting me thinks

so it seems he played well as i suspected he would  and some of you think he is a proper footballer time will tell

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 29, 2020, 05:49:26 pm by sha66y »
His movement was a bit like Sean wright Philips

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on February 29, 2020, 06:09:46 pm by Jonathan »
A good result to get us back on track.

For most of the first half I thought we looked a bit disjointed, but that’s to be expected with all the needless tinkering with the team.

Once we got going we did okay without ever looking at our best, but Wycombe have been up there all season so you really can’t knock what we managed to do today. Ennis and Sadlier took their goals well and both looked like they could do something when we got the ball to them, and Ramsey definitely has something.

I just wish the selections in the previous two games hadn’t sapped the momentum out of the season a bit. Even if we’d just gone and got 2-4 points (not remotely insurmountable) we’d be right up there in the mix now instead of still looking up hopefully.

I will never understand why some of the recent changes were made - in particular why any promotion chasing team would leave out their top goalscorer.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on February 29, 2020, 06:10:38 pm by pib »
Poor first half but much better second.

Thought Amos did OK and Ennis had a good game. Lokilo looks a prospect, and Cole put in the best shift I’ve seen from him and was unlucky not to get a penalty.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 29, 2020, 06:15:45 pm by drfchound »
A really poor first half from us but better second half.
We don’t look to be playing to any set pattern though and that worries me.
Sads was our best player again so I expect him to be left out (of the starting eleven) next week.
I dont really know what Cole brings to the team and until that last few minutes run into the box which should have resulted in a penalty, he contributed very little.
Halliday was terrific as was big Tom.
Ramsey showed flashes of quality but overall needs to up his game.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012