Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:24:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Here's a thought  (Read 4725 times)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
Re: Here's a thought
« Reply #30 on February 24, 2020, 06:54:21 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Historically he was, but modern-day football is a squad game where subs are used to make tactical changes.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on February 24, 2020, 06:58:35 pm by drfchound »
Historically he was, but modern-day football is a squad game where subs are used to make tactical changes.

But subs have been used for many years and the “left out” phrase has always been used to describe a player not in the starting line up.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on February 24, 2020, 07:01:33 pm by Bentley Bullet »
They are referred to as on the bench, and have been for years! They might be left out of the starting line up, but they are there to play a part in the game if required.

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on February 24, 2020, 07:04:24 pm by NewDonny »
They are referred to as on the bench, and have been for years! They might be left out of the starting line up, but they are there to play a part in the game if required.

Give it up BB, you are in the minority of one on this and also been found wanting on your observations of sadlier as well, move on man.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on February 24, 2020, 07:06:58 pm by drfchound »

Yes, obviously they are there to be brought on if required.....but you have confirmed what everyone else has been saying.....that they have been left out of the starting line up.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on February 24, 2020, 07:15:38 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Hound. I've never disputed that! Sometimes players are more effective coming off the bench. In fact, they are a special bunch who get called 'super-subs'. Jermain Defoe, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Kevin Phillips, David Fairclough to name just a few.

Maybe Darren Moore thought Sadlier would benefit the team by coming on and performing as a super-sub? It's easy in hindsight to say on here that he was wrong!

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on February 24, 2020, 07:24:54 pm by NewDonny »
Hound. I've never disputed that! Sometimes players are more effective coming off the bench. In fact, they are a special bunch who get called 'super-subs'. Jermain Defoe, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Kevin Phillips, David Fairclough to name just a few.

Maybe Darren Moore thought Sadlier would benefit the team by coming on and performing as a super-sub? It's easy in hindsight to say on here that he was wrong!

That does not even make sense BB. Why would any manager start benching a player who's your current top goals scorer and assist maker when in DM's words "has been excellent this last three games" with MotM performances in at least two of those games just to utilise him as a "super sub" - thats just ridiculous.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on February 24, 2020, 07:30:57 pm by drfchound »
BB, and I have never disputed that players can’t be used from the bench, no one has.
The whole debate has hinged around the word “left out”, meaning left out of the starting line up.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on February 24, 2020, 07:32:03 pm by Bentley Bullet »
You'll have to ask Darren Moore that. Other than that we can only speculate. I'm just giving him the benefit of the doubt. I only know what I know, and that is Sadlier has been left out of the starting line-up.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on February 24, 2020, 07:34:27 pm by drfchound »
Agreed. Yay.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on February 24, 2020, 07:42:14 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Hound, I never said he hadn't been left out of the starting line-up, he had! I merely, and correctly said he wasn't left out as such because he featured in the game.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on February 24, 2020, 07:43:10 pm by ravenrover »
What are you on about? Sadlier WAS left out of the starting X1! He wasn't left out of the game though, he appeared!
Wriggling a bit there BB, looks like you are on your own on this one

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on February 24, 2020, 07:46:18 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Ravenrover. Show me ANYWHERE where I've changed my stance on this topic. Let's see who's the wriggler, eh?

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on February 24, 2020, 07:57:30 pm by NewDonny »
Ravenrover. Show me ANYWHERE where I've changed my stance on this topic. Let's see who's the wriggler, eh?

Not so much of wriggling but moving the goal posts I would say lol BB

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on February 24, 2020, 08:00:05 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Where have I moved the goalposts?

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on February 24, 2020, 08:03:27 pm by i_ateallthepies »
So, if a player is on the bench he isn't left out?  Then he doesn't get put on as a sub, is he still not left out or is he left out after the fact?

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on February 24, 2020, 08:09:47 pm by NewDonny »
So, if a player is on the bench he isn't left out?  Then he doesn't get put on as a sub, is he still not left out or is he left out after the fact?

oh don't start him off again, please!!!!!

You moved the "goal posts" when you described Sadlier as being a fair weather player that didn't like playing on poor surfaces, till I pointed out he had performed very well at Tranmere only very recently on what is probably the worst pitch anyone has seen for a good few years, to which you then extended the criteria to include that Tranmere were a poor side which was not what you had originally stated - that in my book is one example on here of you moving the goal posts.

You also stated that sadlier had reduced our effectiveness when he came on on Saturday which is in complete contracts with everyones else's views, but by then you were in full swing anti Sadlier mode so if the mud sticks sling it lol.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 08:14:36 pm by NewDonny »

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on February 24, 2020, 08:11:06 pm by Bentley Bullet »

He's left out of the starting line up! If he features in the game he's not left out of the game! If he doesn't feature in the game he is left on the bench.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on February 24, 2020, 08:25:27 pm by Bentley Bullet »

oh don't start him off again, please!!!!!

You moved the "goal posts" when you described Sadlier as being a fair weather player that didn't like playing on poor surfaces, till I pointed out he had performed very well at Tranmere only very recently on what is probably the worst pitch anyone has seen for a good few years anywhere to which you then extended the criteria to the fact that Tranmere were a poor side which was not what you had originally stated - that in my book is one example on here of you moving the goal posts.

You also stated that sadlier has reduced our effectiveness when he came on on Saturday which is in complete contracts with everyones else's views, but by then you were in full swing anti Sadlier mode so if the mud sticks sling it lol.

Sadlier is, like Copps, a flair player who (in my opinion) performs better in good playing conditions. That doesn't mean they never play well in bad conditions.

As for Sadlier being 'by far our best player' at Tranmere, that is obviously your opinion that isn't shared by everyone. He was only third choice MOM on this forum! I haven't changed the goalposts by declaring Tranmere were shite. I was merely pointing out that they were hardly a great example to judge performance against.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 08:28:43 pm by Bentley Bullet »

knockers

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on February 24, 2020, 08:27:12 pm by knockers »
I’m with BB on this one  :boxing:

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on February 24, 2020, 09:53:26 pm by Jonathan »
Just wasted a good 5 minutes of my life reading this ridiculous thread. From the downright stupid opening post to the nonsensical arguing that a player that’s been left out hasn’t been left out.

He should be starting games. Simple as that. He’s proved that in the games that he’s played, and the results from the last two games that he was left out of compound the argument.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on February 24, 2020, 10:02:35 pm by idler »
It's like a Mickey Flannaghan sketch.
I've been left out but not out out.😳

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on February 24, 2020, 10:07:27 pm by drfchound »
Funnily enough, the OP says that Moore hasn’t been playing Sadlier.  :chair:

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on February 24, 2020, 10:58:06 pm by Bentley Bullet »
The fact that Sadlier has not been in the starting line-up might have suggested there was some problem other than football between him and Moore, had it not been for him featuring in those games. The fact that he has featured suggests to me that it is purely a football decision to not start him.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on February 24, 2020, 11:01:59 pm by Alan Southstand »
It won’t matter next season, as he won’t be here!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on February 25, 2020, 08:33:30 am by drfchound »
It does matter this season though Alan because we are still clinging on to the slim chance of getting a play off place.
With that in mind we should be starting games with Sadlier in the team.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on February 25, 2020, 09:26:51 am by Campsall rover »
Let’s just say what is factual.
He has been left out of the starting 11 but not left out of the match day squad (18 )

Why, is the question we are all asking. Very very strange and i can’t make any sense out of it as he is fit and raring to go as he showed in the last 15 mins on Saturday.

We looked much better with both Sadlier and Taylor on the pitch with more width and with the right pass/cross from the left wing on two occasions could very easily have won that game.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on February 25, 2020, 10:01:35 am by Bentley Bullet »
It's hardly just saying 'what is factual' when giving what is only an opinion that we looked much better when Sadlier and Taylor came on. I thought Tayor was running into a brick wall down the wing, and what is a fact is we conceded a goal 3 minutes after Sadlier came on. I'm not saying that was Sadlier's fault, but it hardly suggests we were better after he and Taylor came on. To suggest we were better is just a matter of opinion.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on February 25, 2020, 10:06:58 am by Campsall rover »
It's hardly just saying 'what is factual' when giving what is only an opinion that we looked much better when Sadlier and Taylor came on. I thought Tayor was running into a brick wall down the wing, and what is a fact is we conceded a goal 3 minutes after Sadlier came on. I'm not saying that was Sadlier's fault, but it hardly suggests we were better after he and Taylor came on. To suggest we were better is just a matter of opinion.
My opinion BB that’s all. What’s the problem. That’s what we all post isn’t it, opinions.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on February 25, 2020, 10:11:00 am by Bentley Bullet »
Absolutely no problem with your opinions, CR.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012