Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:17:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Heading  (Read 1511 times)

roversdude

• VSC Member
Heading
« on February 25, 2020, 04:56:59 am by roversdude »
What’s everyone’s thoughts on banning heading (in training) for kids - I know we have some kids coaches on here.
Big difference in the balls used now and the old casey’s
Good to see Sky getting Darren’s opinion on this

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
Re: Heading
« Reply #1 on February 25, 2020, 07:59:27 am by Padge_DRFC »
Way different. Footballs are like penny floaters compared to decades ago.

If it stops dementia then great. Kids won't grow up playing long balls or crossing etc that's for sure.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 25, 2020, 09:47:12 am by jonnydog »
Coincidentally, this popped up on my Facebook yesterday, regarding heading. It was posted by on a local kids team in Donny:-

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 25, 2020, 10:21:40 am by Colemans Left Hook »
What’s everyone’s thoughts on banning heading (in training) for kids - I know we have some kids coaches on here.
Big difference in the balls used now and the old casey’s
Good to see Sky getting Darren’s opinion on this

even better in the later re-runs of the interview when they actually put a title at the bottom of the screen with his name   :facepalm:--- that Geodrdie bloke had a title with who he was underneath all the time.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 25, 2020, 10:50:55 am by BillyStubbsTears »
I knew I was ahead of the times, the way I used to duck out if the way of headers in the Dearne Sunday League.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 25, 2020, 10:58:31 am by Colemans Left Hook »
I knew I was ahead of the times, the way I used to duck out if the way of headers in the Dearne Sunday League.

Oh well ... one potential excuse for being "follically challenged"  just went down the plug hole

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 25, 2020, 11:01:03 am by BillyStubbsTears »
That's just down to my entire being dripping in testosterone.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 25, 2020, 11:05:32 am by Bentley Bullet »
We were also ahead of the times in the 60's, carrying out risk assessments even back then by checking that the bloody lace hadn't come undone on the ball as it flew towards your head. If it had, it was essential that you squeezed your eyelids tightly shut before heading it.

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 26, 2020, 10:11:20 am by 5 on Tour »
I don’t think it’s going to have that big of an impact to start with. My U7’s aren’t practicing heading the ball in training anyway. Spoke to the U9 coach and he said the same.

The U9 coach also said that in the 3 years his team have been together their has been 1 headed goal in that time. Apparently ball hit the bar flew back into the strikers head and went in - sounds hilarious to watch to be fair.

They don’t have the neck strength to be doing it yet and if it helps the little brains then so be it.

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 26, 2020, 05:13:59 pm by swintonrover »
I'm sure in South America they train by playing futsal, which is a heavier ball so can't lift of the ground so as to improve ball control. Maybe this might create a generation of British flair players?

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 26, 2020, 05:38:20 pm by Nudga »
I've never coached heading, pointless really as most kids are afraid to head it anyway so they'll do it in their own time.

We introduced heads and volleys into our session, gave them the street rules and let them get on with it.
I have 3 or 4 who now like to head the ball we've scored a few from corners too, even though we don't practice headed corner routines yet.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012