Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 08:12:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Podcasts Interviews w/Whiteman & Moore  (Read 1310 times)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
Podcasts Interviews w/Whiteman & Moore
« on February 25, 2020, 05:08:52 pm by RoversAlias »
Just thought I'd point Rovers fans in the direction of these podcast interviews with our captain and manager put out this week. Only about 10 minutes or so each to listen to the Rovers-specific portions.

Ben Whiteman spoke to NTT20 podcast as part of their Player Takeover yesterday, at this link:

https://soundcloud.com/ntt20pod/efl-player-takeover - Ben is on from around the 52 minute mark.

Darren Moore was interviewed by the Yorkshire Post regarding youth development and use of loanees, available at this link:

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/football-talk-podcast-how-sheffield-united-and-doncaster-rovers-dealt-with-the-january-transfer-window-1-10273433 - Darren is on from I think around 30 minutes til the end.

The Chris Wilder interview beforehand on that podcast is really interesting too if you're curious about how clubs operate in transfer windows.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Reesielad

• Forum Member
Podcasts Interviews w/Whiteman & Moore
« Reply #1 on February 25, 2020, 07:46:30 pm by Reesielad »
It’s interesting to hear Ben Whiteman talk about the end of the season. Sounds to me like he’s more than likely not going to be here. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Podcasts Interviews w/Whiteman & Moore
« Reply #2 on February 25, 2020, 08:53:43 pm by drfchound »
It’s interesting to hear Ben Whiteman talk about the end of the season. Sounds to me like he’s more than likely not going to be here. 

This is one of the things that makes me laugh when our supporters talk about consolidating this year then going for promotion next time.
Invariably we have to start all over again with the squad building.
Not sure if I am right here but I seem to recall reading recently that we have about ten senior first team squad players of our own right now plus half a dozen loanees.
The loan players will almost certainly be gone at the end of the season.
I think that Sads will probably leave, possibly Whiteman and I think Matty Blair wont want to hang around much longer to sit on the bench.
Cole is only initially signed until summer.
It doesn't leave us with much to build on to.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 26, 2020, 09:20:46 am by Pancho Regan »
I think you make a good point there hound.

Many fans, myself included, often have this notion that if we can get through to the end of the season and finish in a respectable top-ten position, this gives us a platform from which to kick-on next season and have a real go for the play-off spots.

But as you say, that theory is based on the presumption that the bulk of the squad remains, and the manager just has to 'fine-tune' by improving two or three positions for next season.

But based on things as they stand, our reality is more likely to involve another significant overhaul of the squad due to probable departures. We went so close last season and still witnessed major dismantling of the squad in the Summer.

With so many loanees in the current squad, and a relatively low number of 'permanent' players signed up so far for next season, it does look like major rebuilding might be necessary, with all the upheaval and uncertainty that inevitably brings.

Let's hope I'm just being overly pessimistic. I do have faith in DM, so I do trust in him to keep improving and developing the squad, but it's a big challenge.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 26, 2020, 09:17:12 pm by since-1969 »
If promotion was on any agenda it would be part of the players , mangers and clubs vernacular . It has been bypassed, avoided and ignored . Seldom has the words playoffs been talked about with any conviction. So I’d say it’s a LONG term aim . The club is not financially placed to push the boat out on signings only quality prospects and balanced loans who’s parent clubs are grooming them for their long term futures . 

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 26, 2020, 09:24:09 pm by scawsby steve »
If promotion was on any agenda it would be part of the players , mangers and clubs vernacular . It has been bypassed, avoided and ignored . Seldom has the words playoffs been talked about with any conviction. So I’d say it’s a LONG term aim . The club is not financially placed to push the boat out on signings only quality prospects and balanced loans who’s parent clubs are grooming them for their long term futures .

You obviously weren't at the last MTO evening then.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 26, 2020, 09:41:26 pm by scawsby steve »

This is one of the things that makes me laugh when our supporters talk about consolidating this year then going for promotion next time.
Invariably we have to start all over again with the squad building.
Not sure if I am right here but I seem to recall reading recently that we have about ten senior first team squad players of our own right now plus half a dozen loanees.
The loan players will almost certainly be gone at the end of the season.
I think that Sads will probably leave, possibly Whiteman and I think Matty Blair wont want to hang around much longer to sit on the bench.
Cole is only initially signed until summer.
It doesn't leave us with much to build on to.

It seems it's only a few of us that think this way Hound. I just don't see any evidence that we'll be better placed for a play-off push next season. I can't see the budget being any bigger. I can't see a significant increase in season ticket sales, and I can't see DM changing his rotation methods.

Add to that your point about the probability of losing good players, and I honestly think Anderson could be poached, then I'd like to see exactly what it is that's convincing people that we'll be better next season.

Of course, I'd love nothing more than to be proved hopelessly wrong on this.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 09:52:24 pm by scawsby steve »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012