Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:51:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coronavirus - genuine question  (Read 2972 times)

Scooter

• VSC Member
Coronavirus - genuine question
« on February 25, 2020, 05:47:52 pm by Scooter »
With schools in Doncaster advising staff and pupils to self-isolate after half term trips to Italy could this potentially affect Saturdays game?

Some of younger fans will go these schools and will they self isolate and miss the match especially if they feel fine?

I don’t wish to overreact or scaremonger but I have a pregnant wife and a 6 year old with type 1 diabetes so I have to be careful

I’m already having to look at rearranging my April holiday as I’m booked to go to costa Adeje in Tenerife

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
Re: Coronavirus - genuine question
« Reply #1 on February 25, 2020, 06:10:37 pm by 5 on Tour »
Unless we address it as a health issue in this country I can’t see it being postponed.

I also doubt that if it was an issue it would be postponed anyway. More likely it would be moved indoors and played without fans. 6 of 10 Serie A games are doing that this weekend.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 25, 2020, 06:30:40 pm by NickDRFC »
Unless we address it as a health issue in this country I can’t see it being postponed.

I also doubt that if it was an issue it would be postponed anyway. More likely it would be moved indoors and played without fans. 6 of 10 Serie A games are doing that this weekend.

By indoors do you mean behind closed doors or are they doing something particularly drastic?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 25, 2020, 06:42:45 pm by drfchound »
With schools in Doncaster advising staff and pupils to self-isolate after half term trips to Italy could this potentially affect Saturdays game?

Some of younger fans will go these schools and will they self isolate and miss the match especially if they feel fine?

I don’t wish to overreact or scaremonger but I have a pregnant wife and a 6 year old with type 1 diabetes so I have to be careful

I’m already having to look at rearranging my April holiday as I’m booked to go to costa Adeje in Tenerife

My wife is a lecturer at Doncaster College.
She was telling tonight that some of the students there have siblings who attend Hall Cross and were on that trip.
Now I don’t believe for one moment that the kids who have been told to self isolate for two weeks won’t be mixing with their parents and older siblings who attend the college.
Should the whole family be told to self isolate?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 25, 2020, 07:32:51 pm by Campsall rover »
No body will completely self isolate. It’s almost impossible to do so.
The only way any one can is if they are made to do so in a secure environment.

How can children not mix with parents. It’s not possible. Then are the parents not going to go to work etc etc.
It’s a none sense.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 07:48:55 pm by Campsall rover »

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 25, 2020, 07:39:39 pm by rich1471 »
The parents need to stay at home until they know they are no infected , or they infect others and people could die

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 25, 2020, 07:48:21 pm by 5 on Tour »

By indoors do you mean behind closed doors or are they doing something particularly drastic?

Combination of the 2 I believe. It’s been left with the “district”, which I assume is a county, to decide on whether it can be held outdoors without fans or whether it’s got to be inside with health checks on the way in. They’re the Italians remember - they like drastic.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 25, 2020, 07:50:29 pm by Campsall rover »
The parents need to stay at home until they know they are no infected , or they infect others and people could die
But do you think that will happen if they are not forced to do so? 

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 25, 2020, 07:53:02 pm by Campsall rover »
There is far too much scare mongering going on.
The only people apparently or from what i can gather who are in serious danger are the very elderly and those who already have other serious health conditions.

MrWoodySir

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 25, 2020, 08:02:34 pm by MrWoodySir »
The only people apparently or from what i can gather who are in serious danger are the very elderly and those who already have other serious health conditions.
That makes it alright then, no need for us to be concerned.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 25, 2020, 08:20:08 pm by Bessie Red »
That makes it alright then, no need for us to be concerned.
He never said there was no need for us to be concerned. He is merely stating his opinion based on how he has interpreted the current information available.

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 25, 2020, 08:28:23 pm by Scooter »
Surely if someone was to self isolate - everyone in that household should self isolate otherwise what’s the point? It’s all about minimising risk. Chances are the majority of us would be absolutely fine even if we did get it and apparently it appears to be bypassing young children but if you have elderly relatives you could be putting those at risk. Or if you are meant to be self-isolating but choose to go to the supermarket or go on public transport etc

It may be much ado about nothing but from a public health viewpoint it’s about preventing and minimising risk

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 25, 2020, 08:37:21 pm by ravenrover »
Doesn't the flu virus annualy kill more than these viruses are expected to kill?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 25, 2020, 08:44:10 pm by scawsby steve »
In the interest of our health, it might be better if Saturday's match with Wycombe was played behind closed doors.

I'm not talking about Coronavirus, I'm talking about our f*cking mental health.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 25, 2020, 08:55:11 pm by BobG »
And it is an accurate interpretation by Campsall as well.

There are two aspects to this that I think fascinating:

1) The panic. I suspect media driven. I own a few shares in gold mining companies and gold holders generally. Every one of em has gone up in value by a minimum of 20% this last 10 days. One lot have gone up 27%. That's just stupid. Yes. There may be a significant impact on supply chains but if there is, it's months away yet. There's what? 75,000 people infected in China? Out of a population of 1.4 billion? FFS. There is one city under quarantine. China is actually fairly large. it may well get a lot worse. But panic now? Once again the press sell papers by scare mongering and hyperbole. Another example: the press do not seem to think that the fact that the death rate from Coronavirus is somewhere between 1% and 2%, and that those who die are either aged or already very poorly, is much worth reporting. Why would they? it would take the wind out of their panic driven sails. Bloody finfluenza has a higher death rate than that! H5N1 death rate was 60%. The 1918 pandemic was 20%. The 2018 flu season in the USA had a death rate that peaked at 10.8%. It was over 10% for 4 consecutive weeks. Conclusion? This is media driven panic over something they can't be contradicted on because nobody's ever seen the thing before.

2) The rush to be seen to be doing 'something',anything, by just about everybody. The government keeps saying it's ready and will take neccesary steps. Nobody's sure what they might be mind. They're not building new hospitals are they? Or bussing in a shedload more doctors and nurses. Or laying in stocks for when the supply chains supposedly break down. Self isolation trumpeted all over the nation - as many have already remarked on this thread, for what purpose? To what end? It might slow the spread a tad, but it certainly won't stop it spreading.

Once again this country is being led by the nose, by those who really should know better, for personal and political position, and for company and personal financial gratification. Free market capitalism. Dontcha love it?

BobG
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 09:03:26 pm by BobG »

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 25, 2020, 08:57:30 pm by adamtherover »
Doesn't the flu virus annualy kill more than these viruses are expected to kill?
how many did the flu virus kill in its few few weeks of existence?  Hardly a fair comparison.  More will die behind the wheel tomorrow, than by covid 19, doesn't make it less of a threat.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 25, 2020, 08:58:05 pm by drfchound »

How can children not mix with parents. It’s not possible. Then are the parents not going to go to work etc etc.
It’s a none sense.

It isn't nonsense.
The parents and other people who live in the same house should all self isolate until they have been cleared to do otherwise.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 25, 2020, 09:01:00 pm by Campsall rover »

It’s a none sense.

It isn't nonsense.
The parents and other people who live in the same house should all self isolate until they have been cleared to do otherwise.
What i mean hound is it isn’t going to happen voluntarily. That’s what is nonsense.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 25, 2020, 09:05:57 pm by drfchound »

It’s a none sense.

It isn't nonsense.
What i mean hound is it isn’t going to happen voluntarily. That’s what is nonsense.

But it should be made to happen.
If everyone took the attitude that it is ok not to then the virus will just spread like an Australian bushfire.
(Not suggesting that you are saying it is ok by the way).

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 25, 2020, 09:10:17 pm by adamtherover »
tell that to the 34 year old fit and healthy dr li wenliang  who raised the alarm about covid 19, who has since died from the virus.  His wife is also infected.
The groups highlighted above are more at risk, not the only ones at risk!

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 25, 2020, 09:14:17 pm by ravenrover »
Are you 100% sure he died from the virus?

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 25, 2020, 09:17:14 pm by adamtherover »
Are you 100% sure he died from the virus?
according to several reports they all say the same thing...  doctor treating infected patients dies from same infection,  is it too much of a leap to accept it? 

adamtherover

• Forum Member

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 25, 2020, 09:24:11 pm by Copps is Magic »
In response to the OP is answer is definitely no. No threat or reason to have any affect on our game whatsoever. That a few kids flew back from 'Italy' - that big long country of what? 50million people is really a very tenuous link indeed. Theres 10s of thousands flying in from China/S.Korea/Tenerife to the UK every hour - and you've probably already had more direct or indirect contact with them already.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 25, 2020, 09:24:49 pm by drfchound »
I have also just read a report that suggests that mutations of the virus could attack young children.
No one is safe yet.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 25, 2020, 09:29:46 pm by adamtherover »
From what I've read, theres many different strengths of the virus, if a mild version hits a strong healthy adult. Chances are you will be ok, but if a strong case hits an elderly weak person, you may be struggling.   Similar to traditional flu then really...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 09:33:16 pm by adamtherover »

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on February 25, 2020, 10:09:37 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

I can have a vaccination for flu.  As someone who spent a lot of time in hospital from asthma induced by cold and flu I could have some concern but theres a long way to go before hitting that point.

Magicman

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on February 25, 2020, 10:22:23 pm by Magicman »

isolation is isolation, if it means no one else getting it and causing an epidemic all over the borough

Magicman

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on February 25, 2020, 10:24:22 pm by Magicman »

play the game on fifa

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on February 25, 2020, 10:32:26 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Sadly the British attitude will ....it won't happen to me........feck the lot of you I'm carrying on as normal

TinyPortal © 2005-2012