Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 05:48:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Trouble brewing fro Ergodan.  (Read 917 times)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
Trouble brewing fro Ergodan.
« on March 03, 2020, 10:59:37 am by SydneyRover »
''It’s hard to know the facts, given Erdoğan’s suppression of independent journalism. But the truth seems to be very different. The death toll may have totalled up to 55, according to Metin Gurcan, a military analyst writing for the respected online regional platform al-Monitor. Local reports speak of up to 100 dead. It also seems likely the majority of the deaths were caused not by Syrian jets but by deliberate, follow-up Russian airstrikes''

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/02/erdogan-turkey-syria-assad

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Trouble brewing fro Ergodan.
« Reply #1 on March 03, 2020, 02:07:21 pm by Filo »
That attempted coup, a few years ago played right into his hands and strengthened his autocratic rule

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on March 03, 2020, 02:09:24 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
We probably ought to be more concerned about this than we are. It's been a long, long time since a NATO member has been in direct military conflict with Russia...

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 03, 2020, 07:22:35 pm by Sprotyrover »
We probably ought to be more concerned about this than we are. It's been a long, long time since a NATO member has been in direct military conflict with Russia...

Turkey and Russia have been traditional enemies since the Middle Ages.I really do feel that Erdogan will have a go! He is trying to get Europe to support him. I seem to recall that the Turks have spent £268 Billion on equipment for their armed forces in recent years. Putin and Erdogan are both loose Cannons both unpredictable.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 03, 2020, 08:27:42 pm by BobG »
Some tough choices to be made here. Just about everyone, I imagine, thinks 'Serves the git right'. I know I do. But it's not helpful in the slightest. if he falls, a power vacuum will arise that Assad, Putin and assorted other middle eastern worthies will all be actively messing in. If he backs down, it weakens his position internally. He's had to do it once already with Putin. How many more times can he afford to do it whilst being reasonably confident of keeping his job? If he sticks to his guns, he faces anything upto all out war with Russia. I doubt it'll come to that, but the Russians have been demonstrating their power to wage none lethal war for quite a while now. Massive power outages in Ukraine being simply one of them. Control of oil and gas pipelines is another. Ownership of all the spares and technical support for Turkeys' newly acquired air defence is another. What's the betting the Russians have not kept a secret way into that little box of tricks?

The upshot, whichever way it goes, will not be good for Erdogan. I shan't cry over that. But it won't be good for us either given the abdication of responsibility permeating the White House. And that could cause an awful lot of tears for all of us.

Luvverly.

BobG
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 11:15:05 pm by BobG »

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 03, 2020, 08:34:11 pm by Sprotyrover »
Some tough choices to be made here. Just about everyone, I imagine, thinks 'Serves the git right'. I know I do. But it's not helpful in the slightest. if he falls, a power vacuum will arise that Assad, Putin and assorted other middle eastern worthies will all be actively messing in. If he backs down, it weakens his position internally. He's had to do it once already with Putin. How many more times can he afford to do it whilst being reasonably confident of keeping his job? If he sticks to his guns, he faces anything upto all out war with Russia. I doubt it'll come to that, but the Russians have been demonstrating their power to wage not lethal war for quite a while now. Massive power outages in Ukraine being simply one of them. Control of oil and gas pipelines is another. Ownership of all the spares and technical support for Tuekys' newly acquired air defence is another. What's the betting the Russians have not kept a secret way into that little box of tricks?

The upshot, whichever way iot goes, will not be good for Erdogan. And it won't be good for us either given the abdication of responsibility permeating the White House.

Luvverly.
Stupid move buying sophisticated kit off a potential enemy 'cough cough'

BobG

TinyPortal © 2005-2012