Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:18:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Ray Jest's Reliving Rovers - NEW 1969/70 Now Up  (Read 5481 times)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
Ray Jest's Reliving Rovers - NEW 1969/70 Now Up
« on March 19, 2020, 10:32:50 am by RoversAlias »
Hi folks,

Something a bit different from ITEN today, with a dip into the archives. Ray (bradford exile) who runs the Rovers Exiles so diligently has offered to have his narratives of some classic seasons featured on the site during this period of uncertainty and inactivity and I am more than happy to oblige. You can check out the first of these articles at the link below:

https://www.intotheemptynet.com/post/ray-jest-reliving-rovers-1968-69-part-one

In what will be a multi-part series spanning the entire season, Ray tackles the successful 1968-69 campaign and today's edition covers the opening half dozen games. I'm hoping to get Part Two up tomorrow, and will try to make this a weekly thing going forward. Please let me know your thoughts and I hope you enjoy this change of pace as a bit of something to read whilst we all continue to deal with the pandemic.

Also, if anyone else has any ideas for content or wishes to put their pen to virtual paper and write for us about the Rovers, then please do get in touch either on here, via e-mail at intotheemptynet@gmail.com or via our social media pages which can be accessed through the top banner on the website. Any idea is welcome so long as it relates to our beloved club of course!

Many thanks as ever, stay safe everyone.

:scarf:

EDIT: Beginning today (April 24th) the 1969/70 is also being retold by Ray, with Part One now up at this link: https://www.intotheemptynet.com/post/ray-jest-reliving-rovers-1969-70-part-one

Check through this thread for links to each Part of both seasons or head to our website - https://www.intotheemptynet.com/ and find them in the Retro Rovers section.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 05:23:53 pm by RoversAlias »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
Re: The 1968-69 Season Revisited, by Ray Jest
« Reply #1 on March 20, 2020, 04:50:43 pm by RoversAlias »
Part Two is now up on the site, continuing through into October of the 1968/69 campaign. Highlights include the arrival of John Regan and subsequent controversy around the player, the continued reliable scoring of Alick Jeffrey and big top of the table clashes with Darlington and Chester. You can check that out at the link below:

https://www.intotheemptynet.com/post/ray-jest-reliving-rovers-1968-69-part-two

Stay tuned for Part Three sometime next week! Many thanks as ever for reading, and if you want to speak to Ray about these articles I believe he posts here as Bradford Exile and also runs the Rovers Exiles group.

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 20, 2020, 08:02:19 pm by sheffield exile1 »
This is fantastic- however I am intrigued as to how you know the facts from all those years ago? I assume its from old green'un reports as surely no-one can remember all that detail per match as sometimes I struggle to remember something really interesting from more recent times.. either way fantastic reading from a fantastic first season for a 12 year old...

Plumbster

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 20, 2020, 10:38:43 pm by Plumbster »
Thanks for doing this Ray- a great read and looking forward to the next instalment

bradford exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 22, 2020, 04:21:18 pm by bradford exile »
This is fantastic- however I am intrigued as to how you know the facts from all those years ago? I assume its from old green'un reports as surely no-one can remember all that detail per match as sometimes I struggle to remember something really interesting from more recent times.. either way fantastic reading from a fantastic first season for a 12 year old...

Hi Sheffield Exile.

Thanks for that...As for  where I get my facts...well I have scrap books as far back as 1968/69 with all the match reports and stats as well as day to day news. the match reports from the Doncaster Evening post along with Tony Bluffs complete history also help me tremendously.

A little poetic licence on how the game went and what happened just gives a little added impetus to how I describe it.

Although the goalscorers are correct who took part in the build up is a little more hazy so a little imagination on my part is called for.

Really glad your enjoying the read, hope you enjoy the rest.

My best regards

Ray (AKA Bradford Exile)

« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 04:27:36 pm by bradford exile »

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 22, 2020, 05:32:01 pm by scawsby steve »
Absolutely brilliant read Ray, with so much fantastic detail. Thanks very much.

Just one little bit of pedantry from me. Regarding that Friday night match against Darlington, which I remember well, you mention that the 22000 plus attendance was a record. What was the record for? I seem to remember it being the largest crowd ever recorded for a fourth division game.

It certainly wasn't the largest crowd ever at Belle Vue, but I suspect that you're aware of that.

bradford exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 22, 2020, 08:51:03 pm by bradford exile »
Hi Steve Sure it was for the old 4th div. Will double-check my 68/69 scrapbook. Regards. Ray. PS Also sure it still stands

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 22, 2020, 09:26:17 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Hi Steve Sure it was for the old 4th div. Will double-check my 68/69 scrapbook. Regards. Ray. PS Also sure it still stands

It was Rovers best home attendance for a Division 4 match, and best for all Rovers matches in tier 4 until the crowd of 23006 at Hull in 2003-04 on our way to winning the titlke in tier 4 - at that point called Division 3, and now of course FL Division 2.

It was higher than Rovers best home attendance in the non regionalised Division 3 which was 19742 for the visit of Rotherham in 1969-70.

The highest crowd for any Division 4 match I believe was for a Brighton match which had more than 36000 in attendance.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on March 22, 2020, 09:35:43 pm by idler »
Brighton had some very good attendences at the end of their champion winning season in 1964/65. They averaged over 17,000 and Tranmere were second highest with over 11,000.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 22, 2020, 09:41:17 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Just checked and that Brighton 36K attendance in 1964-65 was less that the Good Friday 1960-61 match between Crystal Palace and Millwall which had 37774. That is the highest ever Division 4 attendance.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on March 22, 2020, 11:10:25 pm by idler »
I remember that Palace side to King us at home 1-5 I think it was that season. They were brilliant and I think 3-0 up after about 20 minutes. It rained so heavily that the players went off for 10 minutes or so.Their goalie, Vic Rouse took pity and threw his cap to us to keep drier. It was a tatty thing but I kept it for some years. That Palace side had Johnny Byrne and Dave Sexton in it.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 27, 2020, 02:23:10 pm by RoversAlias »
Hi folks,

Part Three of Ray's series is now up on our website, and you can check it out at the link below:

https://www.intotheemptynet.com/post/ray-jest-reliving-rovers-1968-69-part-three

This week, we head through November with Rovers struggling to maintain their early season form, and there is a significant change in the dugout as George Raynor retires to make way for the young dynamo Lawrie McMenemy.

I hope you all enjoy!

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 27, 2020, 06:07:05 pm by sheffield exile1 »

Hi Sheffield Exile.

Thanks for that...As for  where I get my facts...well I have scrap books as far back as 1968/69 with all the match reports and stats as well as day to day news. the match reports from the Doncaster Evening post along with Tony Bluffs complete history also help me tremendously.

A little poetic licence on how the game went and what happened just gives a little added impetus to how I describe it.

Although the goalscorers are correct who took part in the build up is a little more hazy so a little imagination on my part is called for.

Really glad your enjoying the read, hope you enjoy the rest.

My best regards

Ray (AKA Bradford Exile)

Thanks Ray. To be honest I was easily impressed that season as a young un all new and shiny things are magic. Just having a bovril at half time and the atmosphere was something you couldn't capture or bottle! Fully agree with artistic licence. remember going to Rotherham, season after I think when there were 19,000 there and we won (Did Pancho Regan crock Jim Furnell)) 1-0.  Then they came over and beat us 2.1?  around Christmas time. Remember Crewe away in FA Cup as there was no segregation and them saying "Colliers are here" when in fact my dad worked as a train driver at Mexborough depot. Fuzzy now but great memories! Thanks mate.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 27, 2020, 08:30:29 pm by scawsby steve »
Another great read Ray, and another bit of pedantic detail from me. That last minute goal from Alick in the 4-1 defeat of Bradford PA was one of the best goals I've seen in my lifetime, and has been talked about by Rovers fans for many years.

I can't remember if it was a corner or a cross, but the ball was so high that it looked like Alick was going to head it, but he rose up, took the ball on his chest, then volleyed it with his feet still off the ground. It flew into the top corner and the crowd went crazy.

What an unbelievable goal. The guy was a genius.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 27, 2020, 08:47:56 pm by drfchound »
Yep. Alick certainly proved that he still had what it takes when he made his comeback for us, and I have always been surprised that a bigger club didn’t come and buy him.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 27, 2020, 09:19:01 pm by scawsby steve »
Yep. Alick certainly proved that he still had what it takes when he made his comeback for us, and I have always been surprised that a bigger club didn’t come and buy him.

I think it may have been that he was carrying a bit of timber at that time mate, and he liked a drink.

In his first spell with us, as a teenager, he was slim and lithe; and quite simply a potential world star. That's why he was on his way to Man Utd. What a tragedy he never did.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 27, 2020, 09:22:28 pm by drfchound »
Yep, I know all that mate but lots of players used to drink heavily in those days.
Also the extra timber on the man didn’t prevent him from being a fantastic player, better than anyone else on the pitch every week.
I have always thought that one club or another would have taken a punt on him.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on March 27, 2020, 10:46:54 pm by idler »
The club would have had to repay the insurance company back the amount received when Alick finished through injury.
They gave dispensation so that he could play for the Rovers again.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 28, 2020, 09:27:04 am by drfchound »
Fair enough idler, but he did move on to Lincoln later didn’t he and I wouldn’t have thought that the insurance money was an issue then.
I guess that any club that had wanted to take him would have known about the insurance money and paid that off.
It wasn’t a fortune was it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 04:25:31 pm by drfchound »

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on March 28, 2020, 09:34:26 am by idler »
Don't forget that transfer fees weren't as big then either. Leeds were at one time supposedly interested but by Rovers paid back their insurance there wasn't the value compared to having Alick in the team.
He not only scored the goals and ran our midfield but put numbers ion the gate.
I'm sure that if enough money could have been made Hubert Bates would have cashed in.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on March 28, 2020, 09:38:43 am by drfchound »
Yep, agreed on all of that.
As you say though, he did all that and yet no one took a chance on him.
I was just surprised that it didn’t happen.
He would still have been great in Div2 or maybe even Div1 in the right team.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on March 28, 2020, 10:31:39 am by Bentley Bullet »
Jefffrey was content with being a big fish in a small pond.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on March 28, 2020, 04:22:50 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Fair enough idler, but he did move on to Lincoln later didn’t he and I wouldn’te thought that the insurance money was an issue then.
I guess that any club that had wanted to take him would have known about the insurance money and paid that off.
It wasn’t a fortune was it.

IIRC Hound, the insurance had to be paid out of any transfer fee - the free transfer to Lincoln would not have been a problem.

There was also the insurance paid to Alick himself. I have a vague recollection the club got 15K and Alick 4K, can't quite remember when, maybe ca 1958? Also I have no idea whether the significant inflation over the years between receiving the insurance, and offsetting against a potential transfer fee, say in 1965 or 66, would have been taken into account.

Just musing for a moment, for comparison I believe we bought Laurie Sheffield in 1965 for 12K (was actually a cash plus player deal with Alfie Hale going to Newport), and we sold him in 1966 for 16K. So what would a 26 year old Alick have fetched in 1965? 30K? Take away 19K plus inflation and maybe not much left. 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 03:47:06 pm by Dutch Uncle »

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on March 28, 2020, 04:32:53 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Jefffrey was content with being a big fish in a small pond.

I think there may be some truth in this, especially after his injury from the car accident in 1966. IMHO if he was to have gone the only real time would have been the summer of 1965 immediately after his 39 goals the previous season. Earlier he had not yet proved himself. After the accident he was probably about 28 before he was fit again, and may have lost a little more speed and fitness.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 12:31:32 pm by Dutch Uncle »

bradford exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on March 29, 2020, 03:20:17 pm by bradford exile »
Another great read Ray, and another bit of pedantic detail from me. That last minute goal from Alick in the 4-1 defeat of Bradford PA was one of the best goals I've seen in my lifetime, and has been talked about by Rovers fans for many years.

I can't remember if it was a corner or a cross, but the ball was so high that it looked like Alick was going to head it, but he rose up, took the ball on his chest, then volleyed it with his feet still off the ground. It flew into the top corner and the crowd went crazy.

What an unbelievable goal. The guy was a genius.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on April 03, 2020, 01:46:32 pm by RoversAlias »
Part Four of Ray's series is now up on the site, and you can check it out at the link below:

https://www.intotheemptynet.com/post/ray-jest-reliving-rovers-1968-69-part-four

1968 rolls on into 1969 with Lawrie McMenemy in charge and a big, big FA Cup tie around the corner. Many thanks for reading as ever, please let us know your thoughts!

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on April 10, 2020, 12:42:16 pm by RoversAlias »
Part Five of Ray's series is now up on the site, which you can check out at the link below:

https://www.intotheemptynet.com/post/ray-jest-reliving-rovers-1968-69-part-five

This edition is bittersweet, as King Alick leaves Rovers for the last time as a player, but the team bounces back in style, plus Graham Watson and Steve Briggs both join to boost the promotion push.

Thanks for reading as ever, please let us know your thoughts!

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on April 17, 2020, 07:02:39 pm by RoversAlias »
Part Six in Ray's series is now up on the site. You can check it out at the link below:

https://www.intotheemptynet.com/post/ray-jest-reliving-rovers-1968-69-part-six

Lawrie McMenemy's side are well in the title race and looking to keep that momentum going through March and up to Easter.

Thanks for reading as ever folks.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on April 19, 2020, 07:19:08 am by tommy toes »
I remember most of those games well especially away at Scunny and Workington. Great memories

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on April 19, 2020, 09:30:35 am by idler »
Happy days. I only missed 5 games all away that season. Peterborough in the league cup and four mid-week league games. Yorkshire traction or a mates Morris Minor 1,000. Some great times.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012