Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 09:08:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rover of the Day  (Read 1449 times)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
Rover of the Day
« on March 19, 2020, 03:58:19 pm by The Red Baron »
In an effort to provide the Official Site with some additional content, I've produced a "Rover of the Day" feature with a brief pen-picture and a photo (wherever possible) for a player born on this day in history.

The first one is Jack Green, who was a member of the 1934-35 Division Three (North) title winning side.

Please have a look. Link below. There will be another going up tomorrow and after today's news it looks like I will be doing these until the end of April at least!

https://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/news/2020/march/rover-of-the-day-jack-green/

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

rover-n-out

• Forum Member
Re: Rover of the Day
« Reply #1 on March 19, 2020, 07:10:09 pm by rover-n-out »
Thanks for your time and effort TRB, very interesting.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on March 20, 2020, 12:01:15 pm by roversdude »
Anything for today
Great idea by the way and thanks TRB

Plumbster

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 20, 2020, 10:46:04 pm by Plumbster »
Noticed today was Terry Curran, who I can only remember vaguely in his time at Rovers but must be one of the few Rovers players that went on to prove themselves at the highest level

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 21, 2020, 01:40:28 pm by roversdude »
TC was one of my first Rovers heroes alongside Kitch and Big Bren. Think I’d started going just before they played but can’t really remember.
Weren’t there rumours of paper bags full of money when TC went to Forest ?

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on March 21, 2020, 01:49:57 pm by Draytonian III »
Terry Curran departure was a couple of months before I saw my first match

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on March 21, 2020, 03:13:43 pm by roversdude »
Again great series TRB

Bollinger

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 21, 2020, 03:39:25 pm by Bollinger »
There was a story about TC. When he was flying at Forest, Man United were said to be interested. Tommy Docherty was in charge at the time and, it's said, that Docherty made contact and they agreed to talk. TC being TC spent days telling everyone 'The Doc wants me, I'm off to meet The Doc.' Anyone else would have kept quiet about it.

The day comes and TC turns up early and is sitting in the foyer of a Manchester Hotel. He feels a tap on his shoulder, turns round and is confronted by Brian Clough who grabs him by the ear, lifts him off the ground - Games Teacher style - and marches him towards the door saying 'Home Terrance.'

I think it was Steve Uzelac who told me that, so I'd no reason to disbelieve it, but I think the story did the rounds at the time.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012