Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:26:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rovers ‘Jokers in the pack’  (Read 2475 times)

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
Rovers ‘Jokers in the pack’
« on March 21, 2020, 11:40:21 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Players who’s antics brought a smile to your face.

Jamie Patterson.

The ref would call him over for a telling off or booking & Jamie’s ‘calling card’ would be to stand very close to the referee, nod at his admonishment or booking whilst patting the ref on the back ‘in acknowledgment’ of his transgressions as the pat became a winding up motion by Jamie’s hand as if the ref were nowt but a clockwork toy ( unbeknown to the ref & never flagged up by his officials) which always had the crowd in hysterics.

Bless you Jamie.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
Re: Rovers ‘Jokers in the pack’
« Reply #1 on March 22, 2020, 01:33:36 am by RoversAlias »
I loved "Patto", he was my favourite player as a kid. He was great at winding up opposition but also a quality player. Rewatching the 2003 Play Off Final again today reminded me of his abilities, he pretty much ran the game in the first half as a roving attacking midfielder feeding off the energy of the young Green & Ravenhill.

I was a ball boy at a game against Southport, a night game at Belle Vue in I think 2001 or 2002. Patto got sent off for walloping a Southport player right in front of me. I loved it! Don't think we ended up winning the match though surprisingly enough.

craigdrfc

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on March 22, 2020, 06:53:59 am by craigdrfc »
Couple of others spring to mind - Steve Humphries and Gary ‘sumo’ Brabin...

Also special mention to John Doolan for winding up most of Barnsley on a couple of occasions

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 22, 2020, 09:29:00 am by karldew »
Can remember patterson winning a freekick for someone pulling his shirt. He ended up taking his shirt off and offering it to the player who was pulling it.

Cant remember what game though..

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 22, 2020, 12:18:02 pm by roversdude »
Hated him when he played for Halifax loved him when he was ours

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on March 22, 2020, 01:41:22 pm by BobG »
Sumo. It has to be Sumo.

Kim Book was a good one too. He had the oddest of habits whilst the play was up the other end. He'd wander out of his area, up the field a bit and then stand there in this weird pose, rocking on his heels. He was forever doing it.

And the other one: Archie irvine. He once scored a screamer at the Rosso End against Exeter. Unusual because he wasn't very good, but it inspired him to try and try and try to repeat the feat. He never did but everyone knew what was coming when he got the ball 20-25 yards outside the opposition area.

BobG
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 01:43:38 pm by BobG »

curley

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 22, 2020, 04:00:36 pm by curley »
This is what is missing from our team at this moment in time, at times we make it too easy for the opposition as things stand we are too soft.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 22, 2020, 07:22:40 pm by Pancho Regan »
Colin ‘Dougie’ Douglas.

What a great character he was.
And apparently he liked the odd drink.....

Didn’t he once nip off the pitch at the Pop Side at Belle Vue to have a swig from a can of lager offered by a fan?

I had the good fortune to enjoy a pint and a laugh with Dougie and my brothers in the old Rovers Social Club at BV after we sponsored a game.

I didn’t understand a bloody word he said.

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 22, 2020, 07:34:14 pm by turnbull for england »
Think brabin got fined at torquay for draping a condom over teammates shoulder during team photos, they picked the one in question and had to reshoot

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 26, 2020, 08:26:42 am by IDM »
I can’t remember the opposition but one game in the very early 80’s, there was a proper contested drop ball.  Instead of competing for the ball, “Animal” just took his opponent out, both shins.

He got a red card, but it seemed funny at the time.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 26, 2020, 01:27:41 pm by RoversAlias »
Has anyone mentioned Jason "JJ" Price yet?

He had a good touch about him as a forward but also loved to wind up opponents and was constantly making mischief, one of the big reasons we all loved him I'd say.

Juddy

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 26, 2020, 04:41:09 pm by Juddy »
JJ Price great bloke once saw him outside the Keepmoat on a non match day the car he was in was a right wreck worth about £50 at the scrap yard

hamiltonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 26, 2020, 08:54:54 pm by hamiltonrover »
Gary Brabin, head and shoulders, he also did a weekly article in the Advertiser which was very funny. Another not mentioned is Steve Adams, he did a couple of cracking player profiles in the programme which were witty.

Dougie, already mentioned.

If I think of anyone recently, I would probably go for Alfie May, he seemed to be always smiling and joking with others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on March 27, 2020, 08:35:42 am by DRNaith »
Yep, Brabin for me. Part of the first team I saw and his antics were amusing to say the least.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on March 27, 2020, 09:30:44 am by idler »
I'll never forget Sumo returning for his first game after a ban and in the second half he went down near the Rosso end main stand terrace. He was in a heap on top of the defender and suddenly threw a flurry of punches into the opponents midriff area before putting his arms out as if to say what and got up. The ref was having none of it and sent him straight off.
Very annoying and funny at the same time as it was right in front of us and we couldn't believe what he had done.

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 27, 2020, 09:48:00 am by keyser_soze »
I was reading Jamie Lawrences biography the other day. States there was a fantastic dressing room at the club around that time, with Brabin, Hackett, Kirby etc.

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on March 27, 2020, 05:52:15 pm by StocktonRover »
I was reading Jamie Lawrences biography the other day. States there was a fantastic dressing room at the club around that time, with Brabin, Hackett, Kirby etc.
Can you post the 0
Gonna have to find me a copy of that. He hasn’t got a pineapple on his head anymore from his picture on Wiki

CJK

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 27, 2020, 05:59:27 pm by CJK »
What about Neil Sullivan? Quite the character if some of the stories are to be believed. Maybe not a practical joker but used all his experience and nous whilst with us to great affect.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 27, 2020, 06:23:41 pm by NickDRFC »
What about Neil Sullivan? Quite the character if some of the stories are to be believed. Maybe not a practical joker but used all his experience and nous whilst with us to great affect.

Can’t say I’ve heard any stories, can you elaborate? Apart from a few words in Trotta’s ear...

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 27, 2020, 06:46:13 pm by keyser_soze »
Can you post the 0
Gonna have to find me a copy of that. He hasn’t got a pineapple on his head anymore from his picture on Wiki

I had a look to try and find it again but i actually found the bit with his Rovers days online. Seems he was a big success with the ladies of Donny...

TinyPortal © 2005-2012