Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 09:02:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Money the club have lost  (Read 5064 times)

Retdon1

• Forum Member
Money the club have lost
« on March 30, 2020, 04:57:03 pm by Retdon1 »
Interesting article on Twitter about football finances, and in particular a feature about u... here’s a few key points

Doncaster Rovers made a loss of £1.85 million in 2018/19 and total losses over the years are over £33 million.

Doncaster Rovers technically insolvent but interest free loans from Club Doncaster Ltd keep club afloat.

Doncaster Rovers did not sign any players for fees in 2018/19

Doncaster Rovers owed the owners over £6m in interest free loans at 30 June 2019 #DRFC. Player sales brought in over £1m in 2019/20

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
Re: Money the club have lost
« Reply #1 on March 30, 2020, 05:13:19 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
This is an example of why I call Twitter a gobshite's paradise.

Barnsley Fan

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 30, 2020, 05:19:18 pm by Barnsley Fan »
FL need to be coming down hard on teams like Doncaster that lose money every year.

Lose money 3 years in a row should be an automatic relegation.

Lose 10 million-plus over 3 years should be kicked out of the Football league

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 30, 2020, 05:39:53 pm by Retdon1 »

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 30, 2020, 06:01:10 pm by Dare to dream! »

Gobshite paradise? He's a lecuturer at Liverpool university...

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 30, 2020, 06:35:09 pm by drfc1951 »
I dont  think they are loans by the owners.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on March 30, 2020, 06:41:48 pm by silent majority »
I dont  think they are loans by the owners.

They're not.

The loans came from Club Doncaster which was then written off. So the club owe absolutely nothing.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 30, 2020, 07:03:27 pm by silent majority »
FL need to be coming down hard on teams like Doncaster that lose money every year.

So in essence you're asking for football to be scrapped in this country then? You need to think that through!

Literally no EFL clubs make money. We choose to run the club this way to stay competitive, we could if required stand on our own 2 feet.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on March 30, 2020, 07:06:52 pm by since-1969 »

Well when your oligarchs file for bankruptcy , due to the lack of revenue and high wages just fade away with all the rest of the   absentee owners  and  leaving only the loyal and  privately owned British  clubs using only British money to grow and prosper.....Barnsley never been a football club . 

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 30, 2020, 07:13:07 pm by Barmby Rover »
I suspect that if Barnsley were investigated in the same way then they should have been shut down about 10 years ago, only very generous owners keep clubs afloat

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 30, 2020, 08:16:21 pm by adamtherover »

you've just described every championship club, more or less?

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 30, 2020, 09:46:39 pm by Drover »

Make it 6 million,and then you can keep a track,and count the millions on 1 hand!

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 31, 2020, 07:43:29 am by phil old leake »
I thought that the club were being run within budget.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 31, 2020, 07:54:54 am by NickDRFC »
I thought that the club were being run within budget.

A budget is just a model of expected income and expenditure, you can still budget (and I’m sure we do given the board pumps in money every year) to make a loss.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on March 31, 2020, 08:09:18 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Because the owners plan ahead and choose to make a loss which they underwrite. This has always been the case. The level of loss depends on a number of factors like success on the pitch, gate/ticket receipts, cup runs, TV money, commercial etc.

Each year the manager is given a budget in the full knowledge that it will exceed income.(although within permitted % turnover thanks to Club Doncaster activities)

This is where our regular nay sayers refuse to get their head around it and would rather believe the owners are not supporting the club as much as they would want them to.

We go through the same process every year and the likes of S-M try to explain it yet, the owners still get the unwarranted criticism from those entrenched in their views.

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 31, 2020, 08:42:22 am by Donny Exile in York »
What struck me on seeing the balance sheet being banded around on Twitter of DRFC.. Is why not just simply write off the debt in the club the season it has incurred and have DRFCs balance show no outstanding creditors rather than the £7m showing at the end of 18/19?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on March 31, 2020, 09:47:51 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
What struck me on seeing the balance sheet being banded around on Twitter of DRFC.. Is why not just simply write off the debt in the club the season it has incurred and have DRFCs balance show no outstanding creditors rather than the £7m showing at the end of 18/19?

Security and control is one reason.  Assuming the owners wish to maintain control they will not write it off until appropriate.  There are many reasons positive and negative to finance in this manner, equally a debt figure is very common and no really the end of the world.

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 31, 2020, 11:04:43 am by keith79 »
Without the sale of marquis it would look alot worse.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on March 31, 2020, 11:57:00 am by silent majority »

It doesn't really matter how it looks though does it? The point is that its a choice to operate at the level we operate at. We could make the figures look a whole lot better than they do, but we wouldn't have the quality of players we currently have.

Cameron Rowe

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 31, 2020, 11:57:33 am by Cameron Rowe »
Why is a 6 fingered Barnsley fan on here? Creep

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on March 31, 2020, 12:00:30 pm by drfchound »
Could he be someone’s pet?

firestarter

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on March 31, 2020, 01:47:05 pm by firestarter »
Cos they’re obsessed with us

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on March 31, 2020, 01:57:41 pm by NickDRFC »

The “gobshite” has a small piece in the Free Press with Liam Hoden now.

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on March 31, 2020, 02:12:42 pm by keith79 »

It doesn't really matter how it looks though does it? The point is that its a choice to operate at the level we operate at. We could make the figures look a whole lot better than they do, but we wouldn't have the quality of players we currently have.
the owner are not going to be here for ever.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on March 31, 2020, 04:26:11 pm by silent majority »

the owner are not going to be here for ever.

No they're not, which is why the Club Doncaster model is important to us. The more complementary income streams the club can generate then the less reliant we are on owner generosity.

My point still stands though, it doesn't matter how it looks whilst they are here, as long as they are happy to operate as they do. Supporters should be grateful, in my lifetime most owners have taken money out of the club, not put it in.

Barnsley Fan

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on March 31, 2020, 10:08:34 pm by Barnsley Fan »

Make it 6 million,and then you can keep a track,and count the millions on 1 hand!

Drover make it 6 then but it's a joke and we are seeing some clubs that can't last 2 minutes at the moment without football.
I came and looked on this forum when I noticed the tweet going about to see what Doncaster Rovers fans thought of the losses.
Barnsley over a 3-year period doesn't lose money and don't have any debt? The club is looking to buy the stadium back and do the right thing yet every other team in Yorkshire are looking to cheat and lose money left, right and center
For anyone that will say it yes Barnsley lost a little bit of money last year Barnsley sold players so the club didn't have any debt and still managed to get 91 points in L1. The club will most likely have been on to make money this year and did the year before relegation and I think would have had the first season after the promotion a few years ago.

Fans have to hold the club they support to be responsible and not allow them to make big losses and even allow them to think it’s okay to do so.
Bury will happen again.

Barnsley Fan

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on March 31, 2020, 10:18:07 pm by Barnsley Fan »

Can I ask what quality players do you have?

Didn't you have two players that were any good last season? Those two players were on loan. Barnsley picked one up from Leeds in Wiliks and then loaned him out when he wasn't good enough and That Kane you had from Liverpool that you couldn't keep.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on March 31, 2020, 10:27:02 pm by drfchound »
Well Portsmouth paid over a million quid for one of the players that we didn’t have on loan, and then of course there is Mr Coppinger.

Barnsley Fan

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on March 31, 2020, 10:31:00 pm by Barnsley Fan »
Well Portsmouth paid over a million quid for one of the players that we didn’t have on loan, and then of course there is Mr Coppinger.

If that's what you call quality players then neither would get on our bench this season or last.

Coppinger. Goodness. That radio Sheffield interview he did when he begged Barnsley to sign him about 2014.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012