Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:55:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Congratualtions Keir Starmer  (Read 80853 times)

idler

• VSC Member
Re: Congratualtions Keir Starmer
« Reply #630 on May 30, 2020, 09:43:50 am by idler »
While good for labour we have been here before in different polls the only result that matters is in the general election, so many times on this forum before the last election we were told the gal is closing and it’s a hung parliament

While many would have taken it as a loss that that johnson put his personal need for cummings over the country's need for integrity the poll above is the real win because if johnson would have fired cummings immediately and there was no change in the polls nothing would have changed, however it has and the opposition and supporters are revitalised.
they were revitalised on Election Day and look what happened! So Sydney should corbyn be kicked out of the Labour Party for his actions! Yes or no?
The thing is bpoolrover that since the election the government has been a car crash. They have been arrogant towards the electorate and seem to be making policy up on the hoof.
Labour in contrast now have a leader that looks calm and confident.
How many Tory voters can honestly say that the government led by Boris Johnson have done a good job so far?
His cabinet must also be the worst in the history of parliament. They are a bunch of sycophants and flat track bullies. I would also say this if it was a Labour Party that was so inept.
It is only my opinion of course but it seems to be shared by a growing number of voters. The sad thing is that our country is suffering badly due to their failings. I am no die hard Labour supporter either as I haven't voted for them in the last 20 years.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #631 on May 30, 2020, 10:39:46 am by tyke1962 »
What Starmer has done is to be the grown up since he won the leadership .

Corbyn would have been sucked in by Johnson and gone down the insult route .....

" Part Time PM "

" A government in name only "

" Not fit for purpose "

It all ends in chaos and Johnson gets off the hook .

Starmer is exactly the right leader to oppose Johnson , you couldn't have picked a better man .

The strategy is coming across as the serious politician and the party have recognised the country is sick of the shenanigans in Parliament and general behaviour of politicians today .

The key to keeping this going is to get the rest of the party to behave in a credible and professional manner so the electorate can see for themselves the party is credible and ready for government .

We don't need Jess Philips and her emotional rants or Thornbury making a tyt of herself on QT arguing rather than debating .

There's only one party who own Brexit now , who own the massive recession coming .

If anyone can make a solid case on how this government can steer this ship to calmer waters in the next four years given it's leadership , cabinet , Cummings and what's coming down the road I'd be interested to hear about it .

14 years in power and a shyte show , enough will be enough .

The electorate aren't as stupid as Johnson and Cummings think they are .

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #632 on May 30, 2020, 11:13:37 am by Bentley Bullet »
Starmer comes across as an excellent replacement for Corbyn. It seems that he might be the saviour of the Labour party, and lead it to great unprecedented heights in the not too distant future.

Mind you, when Donny Rovers appointed George Rayner, one of the most successful international football managers ever, who's achievements included taking Sweden to the World Cup final, I thought exactly the same. It was not long after when I realised that no matter how great a newly appointed person is, he will only improve things if he can completely get rid of the people who were still there holding progress back.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #633 on May 30, 2020, 12:39:26 pm by wilts rover »
What Starmer has done is to be the grown up since he won the leadership .

Corbyn would have been sucked in by Johnson and gone down the insult route .....

" Part Time PM "

" A government in name only "

" Not fit for purpose "

It all ends in chaos and Johnson gets off the hook .

Starmer is exactly the right leader to oppose Johnson , you couldn't have picked a better man .

The strategy is coming across as the serious politician and the party have recognised the country is sick of the shenanigans in Parliament and general behaviour of politicians today .

The key to keeping this going is to get the rest of the party to behave in a credible and professional manner so the electorate can see for themselves the party is credible and ready for government .

We don't need Jess Philips and her emotional rants or Thornbury making a tyt of herself on QT arguing rather than debating .

There's only one party who own Brexit now , who own the massive recession coming .

If anyone can make a solid case on how this government can steer this ship to calmer waters in the next four years given it's leadership , cabinet , Cummings and what's coming down the road I'd be interested to hear about it .

14 years in power and a shyte show , enough will be enough .

The electorate aren't as stupid as Johnson and Cummings think they are .

Excellently argued - but I would still have voted for Lisa Nandy. I just think she has that bit more of an emotional cut-through when you hear her speak as against SKS general manager style.

Its good that he put her in a top job in the shadow cabinet. It shows he doesn't fear a potential leadership rival and she can demonstrate to the public if she actually has that leadership potential.

The way things are going I do think people ought to seriously start considering a split in the Tories under this 'leadership'. There is the continually unfolding disaster on their handling of covid-19 and very shortly the choices they have to make regarding Brexit.

The far-right are going to hold him to his promise of a no-deal and the moderates won't be keen on economic disaster.

If SKS can plot his way to a sensible alternative path - who knows where we will be in 6 months.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #634 on May 30, 2020, 12:51:51 pm by SydneyRover »
Well Sprotty has said a couple of agreeable political things recently and what with bbs comment above who knows?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #635 on May 30, 2020, 11:39:05 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Average of the last 5 opinion polls before Starmer was elected Labour leader had the Tories 24% ahead.

Four weeks later, the average lead was just under 20%.

Now, four weeks later still, the average lead is 5%.

This sort of movement has never happened in polling history, so soon after an big election victory.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 12:31:13 am by BillyStubbsTears »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #636 on May 30, 2020, 11:47:06 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
There is another striking thing in the polls.

Over the past 8 weeks, the LD+SNP+Green+PC combined share has stayed rock solid at 15-17%.

Labour has gone up from 28% to 38%.

Tories have gone down from 53% to 43%.

The change does not look like voters moving to and from the centre/fringe parties. It looks like support going straight from Con to Lab.

It'd be fascinating to see regional breakdowns. I wonder if the Red Wall voters have had the blinkers taken from their eyes?

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #637 on May 30, 2020, 11:48:43 pm by bpoolrover »
There is so long till the next election thou,so polls mean much at this stage?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #638 on May 30, 2020, 11:52:13 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
As I've been saying for a few days, this is starting to feel like 1992 and Black Wednesday.

When a Govt is suddenly seen as chaotic and incompetent, it's a huge job to change that impression.

Back then, there was a similar collapse in support for the Govt, a bit later after winning an election. And they never got that support back.

When people see their intelligence insulted like Cummings did to them last week, they remember it, if they have any self-respect.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #639 on May 30, 2020, 11:53:24 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
This is how things went after the 1992 election.

This is what is happening now. And bear in mind that the whole of the graph below would fit into a bit more than half of the first grey block at the left hand side of the graph above.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 12:03:58 am by BillyStubbsTears »

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #640 on May 31, 2020, 12:56:17 am by tyke1962 »

In normal times they don't but we aren't living in normal times .

Crisis like this affect everyone and the pandemic itself is only half the story , the financial pain hasn't arrived as yet for the majority but it's only a few months away .

Everything is playing out right in front of the electorates eyes , what goes on in parliament hasn't even begun yet .

When the electorate are angry , frustrated and getting sold short it's difficult to change the narrative .

We aren't actually dealing here with world class politicians , far from it .

What we have is a little bald man who thinks he can get the electorate to believe tap water is wine .

He's pulled it off twice but he ain't ever going to be third time lucky .

The electorate know the game now and many I dare say no they've been had , many wouldn't even have known of Cummings , well now they do .

You don't come back from that .

Starmer's landed a couple of punches at best the loss of a 26% lead is totally down to the Tories alone .

Absolutely no way is this Tory government ever going to turn this around with what's coming down the road .

They could even be shades of 97 in four years time , I kid you not and I'm generally a realist .

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/may/30/tory-poll-lead-collapses-as-voters-say-cummings-should-go

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #641 on May 31, 2020, 01:00:44 am by bpoolrover »
We will wait and see tyke, many things will happen in the next 5 years there will be many more scandals, if there was a year to go till the election I would agree with you

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #642 on May 31, 2020, 05:09:48 am by SydneyRover »
We will wait and see tyke, many things will happen in the next 5 years there will be many more scandals, if there was a year to go till the election I would agree with you

Spot on bp and you are supporting 'scandals R us' we're still awaiting the gov't to release the findings of the russian report and the Acuri investigation has to be completed, you'll be able to ski down johnson's popularity graphs very shortly methinks  :)

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #643 on May 31, 2020, 09:02:42 am by idler »
Polls might not mean much at this stage but are you telling me that if Labour had lost those percentage points the Conservative party and media wouldn't have trumpeted that it showed a ringing endorsement for government policy?
The power brokers in the Tory party won't stand for this situation for too long.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #644 on May 31, 2020, 09:18:28 am by IDM »

People will not forget what an utter shambles this has been.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #645 on May 31, 2020, 09:45:56 am by selby »
  There are a few people who have been highlighted to be connected in the Cummings saga as being outright liars and have been identified as being in the rabble outside his residence causing bother who may find useful employment more difficult to get in future than it has been in their past.
  They will be added to the junior minister  and quite a few at the BBC and The BBC future funding.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #646 on May 31, 2020, 09:51:47 am by IDM »
What are you talking about Selby.?  You need to explain what you mean better..

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #647 on May 31, 2020, 10:03:52 am by Glyn_Wigley »
  There are a few people who have been highlighted to be connected in the Cummings saga as being outright liars and have been identified as being in the rabble outside his residence causing bother who may find useful employment more difficult to get in future than it has been in their past.
  They will be added to the junior minister  and quite a few at the BBC and The BBC future funding.

Where have they been highlighted? It must be very public if they've been highlighted as you say.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #648 on May 31, 2020, 11:40:13 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
It's quite right to point those polls out, also quite right that it remains to be seen how much will continue to change. Given a lot of things will happen before 2024 a lot will move.

If labour can't do better than last time they should give up though.  I like Keir Starmer's approach, if he gets policies right he has a real chance as Boris will struggle to win another election imo, though I doubt he will make it that far.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #649 on May 31, 2020, 11:56:01 am by BigH »
Starmer comes across as an excellent replacement for Corbyn. It seems that he might be the saviour of the Labour party, and lead it to great unprecedented heights in the not too distant future.

Mind you, when Donny Rovers appointed George Rayner, one of the most successful international football managers ever, who's achievements included taking Sweden to the World Cup final, I thought exactly the same. It was not long after when I realised that no matter how great a newly appointed person is, he will only improve things if he can completely get rid of the people who were still there holding progress back.

An interesting take BB and you're entitled to your opinion. There are others on this forum who have taken a different view. In the interests of balance:

From Dutch Uncle on October 24, 2014
It seems George's pattern of non-recognition for his work continued at Rovers since he was the one that put together the side that won the Division 4 title under Laurie McMenemy, who got most of the credit. George was the one I believe who was manager when Rovers made IMHO the best transfer deal of their entire history - the Wilcockson, Clish, Rabjohn + cash exchange for youngsters Leigh and Watson (who returned to Rovers for very little the next season).

An unrecognised true Rovers legend     

From AlonzoDrake

I remember 1967/68 vividly Dutch, and I agree that Raynor was not given enough credit for the team he built -- the team that McMenemy inherited and toughened up the following season to take the D4 title.

In 67/68 Raynor had to rebuild a devastated Rovers team. He brought in goalie Gordon Morrit, and put John Flowers in midfield. As well as bartering the deal of the century with Docherty at Rotherham Raynor also signed John Haselden from Rotherham, and brought the skilful Rod Johnson to BV from Leeds. The following season Raynor went to the Fowls and swapped Warboys for Brian Usher, and signed Big John Regan from Crewe. He also brought young Stuart Gray into the Rovers line up -- After Rovers fired McMenemy, he took Gray with him to Grimsby.

Raynor's team made a late push for promotion in 67/68, and then stormed to the top of the table in early 68/69, but Mcmenemy replaced Raynor as manager in November, 1968. George Raynor produced some scintillating Rovers performances, and I particularly recall a 4-3 win over Scunny at BV when 3-1 down, with two cracking goals from King Alick -- who produced some fine performances under Raynor's tutelage.

Many years ago I interviewed Bob Gilfillan for a piece in the Rovers programme, and he stated back then what a great tactician and manager Raynor was. Most have forgotten him, but I never have.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #650 on May 31, 2020, 11:57:57 am by Bentley Bullet »
Big H, where is there evidence of a different view to mine there? I agree entirely with both posts.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #651 on May 31, 2020, 01:36:24 pm by BigH »
Sorry BB. I detected - wrongly it would seem - an inference from your comment that, for all his pedigree, Rayner ultimately failed in his time at Rovers. Which, as others have noted, wasn't the case.

But re-reading your post, if, in essence, you're saying that Starmer will only be as good as the team that he picks to support him then I couldn't agree more. The same could be said of any political leader.

Starmer is rebuilding Labour and his core team. Like Rayner it may well take him a couple of years to come up with a group that can be regarded as an improvement on what went before and a credible force.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 01:40:07 pm by BigH »

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #652 on May 31, 2020, 03:35:38 pm by tyke1962 »
We can do without Mandelson sticking New Labour labels on SKS thank you very much as I've read this morning .

Mandelson might want to remind himself that New Labour is a fairly toxic brand around certain parts of the country and fell in to Tories hands last December .

I might also like to remind him New Labour are also a two time election loser .

As my old man used to say " non bowlers stay off the green please " .

This is the Labour Party led by Keir Starmer , nothing more and nothing less .

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #653 on June 01, 2020, 04:20:21 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
I would have preferred Lisa Nandy myself but congratulations to Sir Keir for winning decisively, nice speech too.

https://labourlist.org/2020/04/keir-starmer-elected-to-succeed-jeremy-corbyn-as-labour-leader/

He's a big Arsenal fan, likes his football.

I invited him to a game at the Keepmoat recently when we had a conversation, he said he'd love to come.

SM will you please invite Amanda Staveley to the Keepmoat "after"  her case against Barclays   ....  I am sure with her football interest and the "Doncaster connection"  her family would love to "be part of the club" in the future

https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=276676.msg959988#msg959988

« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 04:30:49 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #654 on June 01, 2020, 07:39:47 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Sorry BB. I detected - wrongly it would seem - an inference from your comment that, for all his pedigree, Rayner ultimately failed in his time at Rovers. Which, as others have noted, wasn't the case.

But re-reading your post, if, in essence, you're saying that Starmer will only be as good as the team that he picks to support him then I couldn't agree more. The same could be said of any political leader.

Starmer is rebuilding Labour and his core team. Like Rayner it may well take him a couple of years to come up with a group that can be regarded as an improvement on what went before and a credible force.

No prob BigH. Of course, don't forget George Raynor was a well-known coach of high repute for years before he became Rovers manager, whereas 6 months ago many people thought Kier Starmer was a South Korean motor car.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #655 on June 01, 2020, 08:21:59 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
when i first saw his name it made me think of "koo stark"

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #656 on June 01, 2020, 08:27:39 pm by drfchound »
when i first saw his name it made me think of "koo stark"

Yeah, she got royally rogered didn’t she.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #657 on June 06, 2020, 07:18:21 pm by wilts rover »
Probably wise if any Tory supporters who are wondering what the current state of the polls are don't click on this link, you might have a shock:

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1269327287452864513

Master strategist Dominic Cummings eh

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #658 on June 06, 2020, 08:44:43 pm by bpoolrover »
If Starmer keeps going as he is and if labour come up with a good manifesto I’ll be happy to vote labour,Brexit will be done one way or the other and  corbyn has gone so happy days

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #659 on June 06, 2020, 09:03:06 pm by bpoolrover »
As far as the polls go a lot changed since the Cummings saga, since these protests started Cummings has been forget and the anger towards the protesters(who don’t social distance) is growing, many things will change how people say the will vote in the coming years

TinyPortal © 2005-2012